PDA

View Full Version : Big Recruiting Weekend (Sept. 8-10)

Pages : [1] 2

X-man
09-08-2017, 09:23 AM
According to Scout, the Muskies have 3 consensus 4-star recruits on campus this weekend. David McCormack (6'9" C out of Virginia), Isaiah Mucius (6'8" SF out of Queens), and Noah Locke (6'2" PG out of Maryland) are all here. Let's hope we get some good news out of this.

xu82
09-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Hoping this huge weekend goes well with three huge talents! I think next weekend is big too. I trust coach Mack and staff to do this right. That's what they do!

mistabeecee41
09-09-2017, 11:08 AM
Huge, especially for Mucius. Looks like Aaron Henry is on his official to his self proclaimed "dream school" at MSU, I have a feeling he'll be off the board

GIMMFD
09-09-2017, 05:01 PM
I like that all three are there at the same time, sell them all on playing with each other and building something big. Hopefully Mack & Co can strike the iron!

XU3232
09-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Aaron Henry has committed to Michigan State.. that sucks.

mistabeecee41
09-11-2017, 04:17 PM
unlike Henry to MSU, doesn't look like we're going to be getting any immediate commitments from any of these guys.

Mucius will be at WF this weekend (no other officials set)
Locke plans on visiting Florida and MSU before announcing plans
McCormack plans on taking an official to Kansas, but his coach expects a decision in September

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/11/2018-forward-isaiah-mucius-talks-xavier-visit/

X Factor
09-11-2017, 04:59 PM
I hope we don't end up striking out on all these kids. It's nice being in their final 2-3 schools, but at some point you got to seal the deal. Been a rough spring and summer recruiting.

GIMMFD
09-11-2017, 06:35 PM
I demand Noah Locke and Redford have a competition immediately!!

https://twitter.com/BarstoolXU/status/907372686401302528

Lamont Sanford
09-15-2017, 11:55 AM
This weekend (Sept 15 - 17) loom large as well with Saddiq Bey, Luther Muhammed, and several others taking officials.

Snipe needs to take them on a boozed up pedalwagon through OTR to secure their commitments.

mistabeecee41
09-15-2017, 03:37 PM
This weekend (Sept 15 - 17) loom large as well with Saddiq Bey, Luther Muhammed, and several others taking officials.

Snipe needs to take them on a boozed up pedalwagon through OTR to secure their commitments.

Mucius also goes to WF this weekend. Considering it's supposedly down to the both of us, hopefully we'll find out soon.

X Factor
09-16-2017, 04:55 AM
Local fast-rising big man Jaxson Hayes from Moeller is also on an official visit to X. He recently took an official visit to Texas.

Jaxson is 6'10, very long and improving quickly.

GIMMFD
09-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Local fast-rising big man Jaxson Hayes from Moeller is also on an official visit to X. He recently took an official visit to Texas.

No doubt in my mind I'd go to Texas on a visit just so see how ridiculous their facilities are.

xu82
09-16-2017, 12:45 PM
No doubt in my mind I'd go to Texas on a visit just so see how ridiculous their facilities are.

....and then sign with Xavier because of how ridiculous our basketball program is! :-)

GIMMFD
09-16-2017, 05:10 PM
....and then sign with Xavier because of how ridiculous our basketball program is! :-)

Haha I mean that's kind of what I was getting at, no matter how disinterested I was, I have always wanted to take a real tour of what those athletic facilities must be like.. same with Minnesota once they get theirs completed, because I was watching the PJ Fleck documentary and it looks IMPRESSIVE!

X Factor
09-17-2017, 12:56 AM
It's September 17 and we have one unranked commitment for 2018. When are we allowed to start getting nervous? Can't afford to have a bad recruiting class, which I don't think we will, but I'm getting antsy.

Just give me David McCormack, Isaiah Muscius, Noah Locke, and Jaxson Hayes and I'll be happy. :homer:

muskienick
09-17-2017, 12:06 PM
It's September 17 and we have one unranked commitment for 2018. When are we allowed to start getting nervous? Can't afford to have a bad recruiting class, which I don't think we will, but I'm getting antsy.

Just give me David McCormack, Isaiah Muscius, Noah Locke, and Jaxson Hayes and I'll be happy. :homer:

Just give me Salma Hayek, Scarlett Johansson, Demi Lovato, and Ashley Graham and I'll be happy (as well as quickly divorced and severely injured).

drudy23
09-18-2017, 06:23 AM

Taking the sons of Bengals has me worried their karma is going to bleed over to us.

X-man
09-18-2017, 07:46 AM

In the "For What it's Worth" (great Buffalo Springfield song, BTW) department, 247Sports now is predicting that Jaxson will be coming to X. And Scout's Brian Snow has Jaxson as one of three under-the-radar recruits parlaying a monster summer into high-major interest.

Lloyd Braun
09-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Mucius to WF

mistabeecee41
09-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Mucius to WF

I enjoy how quickly Mack unfollows guys on Twitter after they pick other schools.

Seems like Bey was more of a possibility anyways

X Factor
09-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Mucius to WF

Well that sucks. We haven't landed any of our top priority recruits...

GIMMFD
09-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Well that sucks. We haven't landed any of our top priority recruits...

Damnit, another strike out. I was really optimistic about landing him.. I'm starting to get in a bit of a worried mode. I was certain we were going to build on this monster class coming in with another huge class, but it seems like we haven't struck gold with anybody yet :/

XU3232
09-18-2017, 07:41 PM
These next few weeks are huge... we are still very much in the mix with several top 100 guys. I really hope we can lock up a commitment from Bey soon.

X Factor
09-18-2017, 07:47 PM
These next few weeks are huge... we are still very much in the mix with several top 100 guys. I really hope we can lock up a commitment from Bey soon.

Recruiting makes no sense. Last year, we hauled in one of the best, if not the best, recruiting class X has ever had. Now, we're coming off an Elite 8 appearance with a loaded team this year, and now we can't get a commitment.

xu82
09-18-2017, 09:00 PM
I really don't get taking Wake over XU if the basketball is important to you. I think they've made the Tourny just 8 times since 2000. Pretty weak if you are a big time player and have options. Just my two cents...

XUGRAD80
09-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Please disregard....double post

xu82
09-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Jaxson Hayes is said to have enormous upside, maybe the highest ceiling among bigs. That would be an awesome get!!!

XUGRAD80
09-18-2017, 09:09 PM
I think that a) many of the players that have already signed are highly motivated by their chance to play right away, and b) X doesn't really offer that to many of the possible recruits because of the strength of this past years recruiting class.

Also keep in mind that 24 of the top 50 ranked recruits in the 24/7 top 100 have not committed yet. There are still a lot of very good players that have X on their radar and I still have confidence that X will get some of them.

xu82
09-18-2017, 09:53 PM
I think that a) many of the players that have already signed are highly motivated by their chance to play right away, and b) X doesn't really offer that to many of the possible recruits because of the strength of this past years recruiting class.

Also keep in mind that 24 of the top 50 ranked recruits in the 24/7 top 100 have not committed yet. There are still a lot of very good players that have X on their radar and I still have confidence that X will get some of them.

No doubt! The "who" and the "when" will come in time. There are a bunch of great players out there on the radar.

GIMMFD
09-18-2017, 10:05 PM

I don't know if I've been paying much attention, but is it normal for that high of an amount to be left on the board in September?

mistabeecee41
09-19-2017, 08:52 AM
No doubt! The "who" and the "when" will come in time. There are a bunch of great players out there on the radar.

the concerning part is it doesn't seem like there are any guys that are "in the bag" so to speak. After Tre de-commited from UCLA, it was pretty much a given he was coming to X. Scruggs took a while to commit (November?), but we knew he was ours all along.

We don't seem to have that type of security with anybody this time around. Hayes seems like he is our strongest bet at this point. There is also Dosunmu who a lot of people think we have a shot with, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

xufan2434
09-19-2017, 03:31 PM
the concerning part is it doesn't seem like there are any guys that are "in the bag" so to speak. After Tre de-commited from UCLA, it was pretty much a given he was coming to X. Scruggs took a while to commit (November?), but we knew he was ours all along.

We don't seem to have that type of security with anybody this time around. Hayes seems like he is our strongest bet at this point. There is also Dosunmu who a lot of people think we have a shot with, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dosunmu just scheduled his official Illinois visit October 13th so won't see anything till then. Lotta schools in the mix for him. I thought X was the favorite a bit ago, but I don't feel like they are anymore. Have total faith in this staff, but I'm for sure starting to get worried that they cast too large of a net and not catching anyone specific

xu82
09-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Dosunmu just scheduled his official Illinois visit October 13th so won't see anything till then. Lotta schools in the mix for him. I thought X was the favorite a bit ago, but I don't feel like they are anymore. Have total faith in this staff, but I'm for sure starting to get worried that they cast too large of a net and not catching anyone specific

I had that feeling too, but it's also fading for me. I hope I'm wrong. (What the hell do I know, anyway? That's rhetorical, no need to reply.) I'll just keep the faith and know the staff will do the best they can.

Juice
09-19-2017, 08:39 PM
Jaxson Hayes got an offer from UK

xu82
09-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Oy!

mistabeecee41
09-19-2017, 09:12 PM

So pretty much he will now be considered a top 25 prospect

X Factor
09-19-2017, 09:32 PM

There goes another one. 247 Crystal Ball has already moved to UK.

Our main targets seem to be:

Jaxson Hayes
Noah Locke
David McCormack
Saddiq Bey
Luther Muhammad
Ayo Dosunmu

Those are the big ones for X. After that, we're still recruiting some quality kids, but not like these other kids.
If we miss out on those kids listed, we're going to be settling for lesser talented players. That's after also missing out on guys like Cole Swider, Isaiah Mucius, Jake Forrester, Trevion Williams, Darius Bazley, among others.

Juice
09-19-2017, 09:54 PM
There goes another one. 247 Crystal Ball has already moved to UK.

Our main targets seem to be:

Jaxson Hayes
Noah Locke
David McCormack
Saddiq Bey
Luther Muhammad
Ayo Dosunmu

Those are the big ones for X. After that, we're still recruiting some quality kids, but not like these other kids.
If we miss out on those kids listed, we're going to be settling for lesser talented players. That's after also missing out on guys like Cole Swider, Isaiah Mucius, Jake Forrester, Trevion Williams, Darius Bazley, among others.

Add Talen Horton Tucker and JuCo player Shaq Carter

GIMMFD
09-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Ugh damnit. There's still a chance, but this is definitely an annoying kink in the plan.

XU3232
09-20-2017, 07:14 AM
The Jaxson Hayes news really sucks... pretty sure X was going to get him over Texas but now I'd be shocked if he doesn't go to UK. Hopefully he realizes playing time there would be very slim for a while.

joe titan
09-20-2017, 07:33 AM
The Jaxson Hayes news really sucks... pretty sure X was going to get him over Texas but now I'd be shocked if he doesn't go to UK. Hopefully he realizes playing time there would be very slim for a while.

How is young Mr Hayes supposed to reach such conclusion when Cal & crew are showing him all those BBN bigs now in the league and how much development he will see under Cal. Come here son & you will be just as good as Willy Cauley Stein (another footballer) or stay home and you can be as good an Uber driver as Matt... When something more akin to truth is his co-ordination is just starting to catch up to his body and he may not see the floor under Cal (if he doesn't flee to NBA for more $$$) and will always do better being a college student-athlete at XU.

mistabeecee41
09-21-2017, 08:43 AM

well, he's down from 11 to 7 at least. has 2 officials left, will be interesting to see if he comes here for one considering he's been on multiple unofficial visits.

mistabeecee41
09-21-2017, 12:37 PM

On the good side, looks like SJU is officially out of the running for Muhammad. On the bad side, for what it's worth, SJU fans claim to have heard that he loves Holtmann and OSU has it in the bag.

GIMMFD
09-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Okay, so question, what is our second tier options if we strike out on a few more of our bigger targets??

XU3232
09-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Bey is starting to become a must get or this recruiting class could get ugly. Locke is apparently leaning towards Michigan and now it does look like Muhammed is going to be at OSU. Hayes was probably going to be at X until UK offered. This has been a rough summer for recruiting. I can't imagine how defeated the staff feels coming in 2nd in all of these battles.

X Factor
09-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Bey is starting to become a must get or this recruiting class could get ugly. Locke is apparently leaning towards Michigan and now it does look like Muhammed is going to be at OSU. Hayes was probably going to be at X until UK offered. This has been a rough summer for recruiting. I can't imagine how defeated the staff feels coming in 2nd in all of these battles.

Can't afford to whiff on any more kids. If we don't get any of our priority recruits, we could see the effects of a bad class for a couple of years. That could set us back.

So much for having momentum after an Elite 8 appearance.

Masterofreality
09-21-2017, 04:35 PM
Can't afford to whiff on any more kids. If we don't get any of our priority recruits, we could see the effects of a bad class for a couple of years. That could set us back.

So much for having momentum after an Elite 8 appearance.

We'll be fine. #InMackITrust

xu82
09-21-2017, 04:37 PM
We'll be fine. #InMackITrust

...what he said...

mistabeecee41
09-22-2017, 07:44 AM
On the good side, looks like SJU is officially out of the running for Muhammad. On the bad side, for what it's worth, SJU fans claim to have heard that he loves Holtmann and OSU has it in the bag.

UPDATE:
Muhammad commits at 8PM. Supposedly down to us and the Buckeyes.

xu82
09-22-2017, 07:56 AM
UPDATE:
Muhammad commits at 8PM. Supposedly down to use and the Buckeyes.

I hope he doesn't pick a football school.

XMuskieFTW
09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
UPDATE:
Muhammad commits at 8PM. Supposedly down to ̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ the Buckeyes.

Fixed.

XU3232
09-22-2017, 08:28 AM
I think it's pretty much a done deal that he's going to OSU.

Juice
09-22-2017, 08:34 AM
Fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

X Factor
09-22-2017, 08:35 AM
And that's why Holtmann left Butler. In a span of a week, he'll have secured 3 4-star recruits.

Why are we having such a rough summer recruiting?

Juice
09-22-2017, 08:48 AM
And that's why Holtmann left Butler. In a span of a week, he'll have secured 3 4-star recruits.

Why are we having such a rough summer recruiting?

I'm basing this off nothing but my own feelings but I think it's related to what you're talking about with Holtman. OSU has a buzz about it now with Holtman, while recruiting under Thad had dropped off. Purdue has picked it up a bit after just sending a guy to the NBA and making a Sweet 16. IU obviously has a new buzz as well with Archie.

So I think it's a combination of bad luck and our traditional recruiting rivals picking it up a bit this off season. Also add in that X has a really good class coming in this year and some players may be scared off.

xufan2434
09-22-2017, 10:00 AM
I'm basing this off nothing but my own feelings but I think it's related to what you're talking about with Holtman. OSU has a buzz about it now with Holtman, while recruiting under Thad had dropped off. Purdue has picked it up a bit after just sending a guy to the NBA and making a Sweet 16. IU obviously has a new buzz as well with Archie.

So I think it's a combination of bad luck and our traditional recruiting rivals picking it up a bit this off season. Also add in that X has a really good class coming in this year and some players may be scared off.

I'd say that's the biggest reason why they're struggling. I mean OSU still has a ton of resources and they can offer all of these guys a ton of playing time. X is losing Tre and JP true, but still going to have a lot of talent only 1 year above them they'll be competing with for playing time the first couple years. In years past when they had a big class come in (Tu's class and this current senior class) -- They had a year to relax and only get 1-2 recruits. Just so happens this year they need 3-4 so a little different dynamic

X Factor
09-22-2017, 11:04 AM
I'd say that's the biggest reason why they're struggling. I mean OSU still has a ton of resources and they can offer all of these guys a ton of playing time. X is losing Tre and JP true, but still going to have a lot of talent only 1 year above them they'll be competing with for playing time the first couple years. In years past when they had a big class come in (Tu's class and this current senior class) -- They had a year to relax and only get 1-2 recruits. Just so happens this year they need 3-4 so a little different dynamic

I don't buy this argument. Yes, we have a very good incoming class, but so do a lot of teams and they're landing equally good recruits for '18.

We shouldn't expect to recruit at a high level every year?

XMuskieFTW
09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
I don't buy this argument. Yes, we have a very good incoming class, but so do a lot of teams and they're landing equally good recruits for '18.

We have been. We've had 4 straight high level classes. The problem with 2018 is the staff was trying to get Walter and then 4 or so high level ready to play recruits. I just think we've been unlucky in most of these situations. Even if we land 1-2 more top guys we'll be fine. The staff will just have to find someone via grad transfer or decommitment in the spring.

xufan2434
09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

No I agree, we should for sure expect to be at a high level every year. I know the staff does. I'm just guessing at why they're finishing 2nd/3rd on these guys this year. They have a lot of ties to Indiana area which got em Tre and Scruggs. This year they went for the same caliber and high ranking guys, but I don't think they had the same inside track to em all. So, I don't know. Maybe they hadn't focused enough time to just specifically one or 2 them? I don't have that information.

GIMMFD
09-22-2017, 11:55 AM
For some reason, I have a feeling it's going to be a domino effect once we get one of the ESPN Top 100 guys, I feel like a couple more will spark more interest and see we're building something special. I'd love to get Noah Locke, but with Scruggs just arriving I don't know how plausible that is, and with Q still on roster too. It's nice we have some depth, but I really hope we don't strike out big time on this class. One bad class can set you back a bit. That being said Mack & company have an eye for talent, and I think they develop players pretty well. We'll be fine regardless as our stock is trending upwards in college circles.

X Factor
09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
David McCormack is announcing his decision Sunday evening.

Not holding my breath, probably ends up at NC State or Kansas, but we're in his Final 3 or 4. He did recently take an official visit to Xavier the same weekend as Isaiah Mucius and Noah Locke.

Maybe David will commit and we can all be happy!! He would be a very, very good get!

GIMMFD
09-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Not holding my breath, probably ends up at NC State or Kansas, but we're in his Final 3 or 4. He did recently take an official visit to Xavier the same weekend as Isaiah Mucius and Noah Locke.

Maybe David will commit and we can all be happy!! He would be a very, very good get!

Definitely need a big man, so that'd be great!

xu82
09-22-2017, 01:09 PM

I haven't seen a ton of his game, but I didn't need to. He's a MAN! That was immediately obvious.

Juice
09-22-2017, 05:38 PM
This doesn't help with Ayo

CBS Sports CBB‏Verified account @CBSSportsCBB 54s54 seconds ago
More
Five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley has committed to Kentucky.

xu82
09-22-2017, 07:11 PM
This doesn't help with Ayo

CBS Sports CBB‏Verified account @CBSSportsCBB 54s54 seconds ago
More
Five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley has committed to Kentucky.

Wait, this doesn't help? Your mean Kentucky or us?

GIMMFD
09-22-2017, 07:16 PM

Kentucky lol. It doesn't help Kentucky, Illinois also signed 2 4-star PG recruits to their class in 2017, and a 4-star SG for what it's worth as well.

Juice
09-22-2017, 07:26 PM

Quickley was more or less deciding between UK and KU. If he picked KU, then Ayo likely wouldn't want to pick a school that has a 5 star player at his position.

These are all assumptions by me. Maybe it wouldn't deter Ayo but I'd prefer KU to be less attractive to him.

LA Muskie
09-22-2017, 08:37 PM
It hurts us. Ayo may not have chosen us regardless, but Quickley to KU would have knocked them off his list. Now, odds are that we see an Ayo to KU commitment soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIMMFD
09-22-2017, 08:44 PM
It hurts us. Ayo may not have chosen us regardless, but Quickley to KU would have knocked them off his list. Now, odds are that we see an Ayo to KU commitment soon.

Oh crap, I didn't see all that, yeah they signed Marcus Garrett a PG for this class, ESPN Top 100, but Scruggs is listed higher than him. Hmm. Wonder how this all shapes up. Recruiting is weird.

mistabeecee41
09-22-2017, 10:08 PM
Silver lining : Michigan and OSU are filling up and are both finalists for Ahrens and Locke. Maybe we'll get them by default.

X Factor
09-23-2017, 12:16 AM
Luther Muhammad to OSU like everyone predicted.

:thumbsdown:

GIMMFD
09-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Luther Muhammad to OSU like everyone predicted.

:thumbsdown:

Yeah I thought he announced that yesterday. Unfortunate, but we'll bounce back. Like I said, just need one to start the domino effect.

LA Muskie
09-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Yeah I thought he announced that yesterday. Unfortunate, but we'll bounce back. Like I said, just need one to start the domino effect.

The domino effect requires more dominos... We're not going to go down swinging on '18, but I think we should all be prepared for a scenario in which it's not the class we -- or the staff -- had hoped for. Coming out of the fall recruiting season, we're likely looking at a 3-star unranked local project (Jake Walter), a JuCo (Shaq Carter), and maybe -- maybe -- one other among Ayo Dosunmu (PG 5*), Noah Locke (PG 4*), Justin Ahrens (Wing 3*), Saddiq Bey (Wing 4*), Talen Horton Tucker (Wing 4*), Keonte Kennedy (Wing UR), Jaxson Hayes (PF UR), and David McCormack (C 4*). Although at most we're leading for Bey and possibly Kennedy.

Juice
09-23-2017, 04:21 PM
The domino effect requires more dominos... We're not going to go down swinging on '18, but I think we should all be prepared for a scenario in which it's not the class we -- or the staff -- had hoped for. Coming out of the fall recruiting season, we're likely looking at a 3-star unranked local project (Jake Walter), a JuCo (Shaq Carter), and maybe -- maybe -- one other among Ayo Dosunmu (PG 5*), Noah Locke (PG 4*), Justin Ahrens (Wing 3*), Saddiq Bey (Wing 4*), Talen Horton Tucker (Wing 4*), Jaxson Hayes (PF UR), and David McCormack (C 4*). Although at most we're leading for Bey.

Add Keonte Kennedy

LA Muskie
09-23-2017, 04:53 PM
Add Keonte Kennedy

Thanks. Fixed.

X Factor
09-23-2017, 05:26 PM
The domino effect requires more dominos... We're not going to go down swinging on '18, but I think we should all be prepared for a scenario in which it's not the class we -- or the staff -- had hoped for. Coming out of the fall recruiting season, we're likely looking at a 3-star unranked local project (Jake Walter), a JuCo (Shaq Carter), and maybe -- maybe -- one other among Ayo Dosunmu (PG 5*), Noah Locke (PG 4*), Justin Ahrens (Wing 3*), Saddiq Bey (Wing 4*), Talen Horton Tucker (Wing 4*), Keonte Kennedy (Wing UR), Jaxson Hayes (PF UR), and David McCormack (C 4*). Although at most we're leading for Bey and possibly Kennedy.

Good post LA.

Coaches have to be frustrated beyond belief over this recruiting class. It's approaching October and we have one unranked commit, a 7 footer who probably won't be ready to contribute for at least 2 years.

I keep saying this, but one supbar recruiting class can have an impact on a program for a couple of years. I don't see of any of those kids you listed committing to Xavier. I don't know what it is.

We HAVE to get Hayes and Bey to salvage this class. Hayes is loaded with potential. He's 6'10, long and athletic and those kids don't grow on trees. He's young for his class so he's still possibly growing and maturing physically. Plus, he's a local kid that goes to a Catholic HS. Xavier would seem like a perfect fit.

Bey is a solid player. I would be very happy with him committing. He would be a nice addition on the wing.

We desperately need some shooters though with JP and Tre graduating, and now Ridder leaving. We are going to be very slim on shooters. :eek:

kmcrawfo
09-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Good post LA.

Coaches have to be frustrated beyond belief over this recruiting class. It's approaching October and we have one unranked commit, a 7 footer who probably won't be ready to contribute for at least 2 years.

I keep saying this, but one supbar recruiting class can have an impact on a program for a couple of years. I don't see of any of those kids you listed committing to Xavier. I don't know what it is.

We HAVE to get Hayes and Bey to salvage this class. Hayes is loaded with potential. He's 6'10, long and athletic and those kids don't grow on trees. He's young for his class so he's still possibly growing and maturing physically. Plus, he's a local kid that goes to a Catholic HS. Xavier would seem like a perfect fit.

Bey is a solid player. I would be very happy with him committing. He would be a nice addition on the wing.

We desperately need some shooters though with JP and Tre graduating, and now Ridder leaving. We are going to be very slim on shooters. :eek:

Decommits and transfers can turn around a down recruiting class too. The chips may fall better than we all may be thinking at the moment.

xu82
09-23-2017, 07:20 PM
Decommits and transfers can turn around a down recruiting class too. The chips may fall better than we all may be thinking at the moment.

I always love a glass half full....

I'm a Bills fan, we need all the rose colored glasses we can find. But your point is well taken. I trust Mack & Co, so I'll wait to see what happens.

LA Muskie
09-23-2017, 07:22 PM
X Factor, I can't imagine Hayes saying no to UK. I think we've got a decent shot at Bey. But Miami's recruiting him hard. And they have some "intangibles" there...

LA Muskie
09-23-2017, 07:24 PM

No doubt about it. Some (maybe most?) of our best "recent" recruits have come by way of transfer and decommitments.

X Factor
09-23-2017, 07:55 PM
X Factor, I can't imagine Hayes saying no to UK. I think we've got a decent shot at Bey. But Miami's recruiting him hard. And they have some "intangibles" there...

I guess the only advantage we have over UK is Mack being able he will have a great chance at playing a lot minutes early since Tyrique Jones will be our only big man besides Jake Walter, who will be a freshman and is more or a project.

UK is still in on a quite a few front court players, all ranked in the Top 25. Jaxson could end being behind higher rated kids at UK and if he sticks around, Cal is going to be bring more one and done type bigs who will play too.

I know I'm probably just pumping sunshine up my own rear, but hey, I'm trying to be optimistic.

Juice
09-23-2017, 08:05 PM
I guess the only advantage we have over UK is Mack being able he will have a great chance at playing a lot minutes early since Tyrique Jones will be our only big man besides Jake Walter, who will be a freshman and is more or a project.

UK is still in on a quite a few front court players, all ranked in the Top 25. Jaxson could end being behind higher rated kids at UK and if he sticks around, Cal is going to be bring more one and done type bigs who will play too.

I know I'm probably just pumping sunshine up my own rear, but hey, I'm trying to be optimistic.

Hayes is a project too. X would be in a bad spot if the only big men are Tyrique, Hayes, and Walter.

X Factor
09-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Hayes is a project too. X would be in a bad spot if the only big men are Tyrique, Hayes, and Walter.

He's not near the project that Walter is from what I've read and heard. Hayes is a lot more skilled than Walter and his game will translate easier to the college level, imo.

Unless X gets a juco big or 5th year graduate, Jones and Walter will be the only bigs on the roster next year. Looks like we're in a bad spot.

Juice
09-23-2017, 09:18 PM
He's not near the project that Walter is from what I've read and heard. Hayes is a lot more skilled than Walter and his game will translate easier to the college level, imo.

Unless X gets a juco big or 5th year graduate, Jones and Walter will be the only bigs on the roster next year. Looks like we're in a bad spot.

My point is that if you're relying on Hayes to give you big/valuable minutes as a freshman you're probably going to have issues at that position.

Also, Shaq Carter is a juco player.

GIMMFD
09-23-2017, 09:50 PM
My point is that if you're relying on Hayes to give you big/valuable minutes as a freshman you're probably going to have issues at that position.

Also, Shaq Carter is a juco player.

Well this definitely made me a bit pessimistic for the next couple years :/.

Juice
09-23-2017, 10:13 PM
Well this definitely made me a bit pessimistic for the next couple years :/.

“I think he’s a down-the-road guy,” Daniels said. “You have to recognize that he has a lot of potential, but there’s still some development to do. He’s a guy that’s just now coming on, and sometimes those guys take a little bit longer to develop.

“But he has the tools.”

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article174775401.html

As a junior Hayes made the varsity squad at Moeller, a program that ended up playing in the OHSAA State Title Game in March, but he was a reserve. According to Kremer, Hayes averaged around three to four points a game, and played less than 10 minutes per contest.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/ohio-high-school/2017/09/20/jaxson-hayes-moeller-tweets-kentucky-wildcats-offered-scholarship/684614001/

mistabeecee41
09-23-2017, 10:41 PM

This is spot on. The concerning part is that the '18 class is a crucial one in terms of building on momentum. the last time I feel like we struck out on so many recruits was the Brandon Randolph/Kamall Richards year. That was a smaller class sandwiched in between the Semaj/Jalen/Farr class and the Tre/JP/Ed/Sean class, so we had plenty of wiggle room

X Factor
09-24-2017, 05:25 PM
David McCormack to Kansas...(sigh)

I can't remember the last time we've been in so many kids' Final 2-4 schools and haven't landed any of them.

I know you're always going to lose more kids than you actually get, but all of these kids were priority type recruits, and most of them took official visits to Xavier. They weren't the kid X offered, but didnt' put a lot of time and effort in to. These have all been kids X really, really wanted.

We could finish in the middle to bottom half of recruiting this year in the BE.

mistabeecee41
09-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Ahrens also recommitted to OSU

It’s Bey or bust time

X Factor
09-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Ahrens also recommitted to OSU

It’s Bey or bust time

Yeah at this point, it could be Jake Walter and possibly a juco kid. Disappointing to say the least.

X Factor
09-25-2017, 04:31 PM
I'm not a member on the Scout board anymore, but Snow has a post titled, "Not going to sugarcoat it".

Can't be good...this class is shaping up to be a real stinker unless we receive a miracle in the form of Jaxson Hayes, Noah Locke, or Saddiq Bey. Two out of the three would be nice, but don't see it happening.

STL_XUfan
09-26-2017, 10:17 AM
Maybe Mack was just waiting for the mass decommitments after these indictments?

XUMIOH12
09-26-2017, 10:18 AM

haha i guess that's why he wasn't getting any commits

xu82
09-26-2017, 04:00 PM

This certainly should mix things up a bit. Wow!

bobbiemcgee
09-26-2017, 04:21 PM
This certainly should mix things up a bit. Wow!

Not sure how. Any kid mixed up in this will likely become ineligible.

XMuskieFTW
09-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Not sure how. Any kid mixed up in this will likely become ineligible.

Ehh 3 and 4 star kids committed to schools involved likely didn't get a pay day. They also won't want to go to a school with a likely postseason ban, so any schools hit with those could see a few decommitments.

xu82
09-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Ehh 3 and 4 star kids committed to schools involved likely didn't get a pay day. They also won't want to go to a school with a likely postseason ban, so any schools hit with those could see a few decommitments.

That's the way I see it. Few will want to join a program with a recent dirty stain like this. If we come out squeaky clean it could certainly help us.

X Factor
09-26-2017, 09:26 PM
I doubt it will have any impact on us whatsoever.

This 2018 class is very important going forward. You never know who's going to be on the roster the following. I don't want X to be in spot where we have to rely on 5th year graduates, jucos, or transfers.

Recruiting is the life blood of a program and so far, 2018 has been a huge miss.

XUMIOH12
09-26-2017, 11:14 PM

yeah but how long will it take before any of these potential punishments even come to fruition. Knowing the NCAA, it could be a while (i hope not).

XUMIOH12
09-26-2017, 11:21 PM

This 2018 class is very important going forward. You never know who's going to be on the roster the following. I don't want X to be in spot where we have to rely on 5th year graduates, jucos, or transfers.

Recruiting is the life blood of a program and so far, 2018 has been a huge miss.

agreed. probably won't really have any impact on Xavier, at least this year. also agree that one big missed class can definitely become a major hindrance to a program, hopefully that doesn't happen with 2018, even though its looking that way now.

xufan2434
09-27-2017, 07:27 AM

Well considering Miami is very in the mix for Bey, I think it definitely helps X as long as we come out clean.

Also for those arguing that the class 2017 class they just brought in shouldn't have any affect on 2018 because of playing time.... Rick Carter just said on D&V last night that it 100% does. I'm gonna go with him on that one

bleedXblue
09-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Well considering Miami is very in the mix for Bey, I think it definitely helps X as long as we come out clean.

Also for those arguing that the class 2017 class they just brought in shouldn't have any affect on 2018 because of playing time.... Rick Carter just said on D&V last night that it 100% does. I'm gonna go with him on that one

yeah but that never seems to impact the big time programs........not that we aren't big time.....but Duke, UNC, Kansas etc

xufan2434
09-27-2017, 07:55 AM
yeah but that never seems to impact the big time programs........not that we aren't big time.....but Duke, UNC, Kansas etc

I think it varies. Duke has definitely started to go more to the UK route of 1 & done, so they are going to have more spots open up every year. And can't really argue against Kansas. They're always going to re-load when they've won the Big 12 for 11 straight years.

UNC is interesting though. They don't always get the top guys. Like this year they have 5 recruits coming in and only 1 is Top 100. And a lot of their stars typically stay for 3 & 4 years. Now obviously the class they got Joel Berry, JJ, Pinston was loaded. And next year they already have 2 top level guys. Just saying they're not always loading up

D-West & PO-Z
09-27-2017, 08:02 AM

There is a reason those programs are the truly elite. Trying to compare our recruiting to theirs seems kind of silly.

Not to mention each of those programs usually has at least one (or 5 if you are UK) of their freshman leave early opening up playing time for the next freshman.

A lot of players seem to be ok with losing some playing time as well to play for one of the elite coaches/programs too, especially the ones with proven track records of getting a lot of players into the NBA, even players who didnt start if have huge numbers.

mistabeecee41
09-27-2017, 09:07 AM
here comes the first decommit.

http://scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Five-star-power-forward-EJ-Montgomery-decommits-from-Auburn-108059222

muskiefan82
09-27-2017, 09:24 AM
So, is he mad he didn't get any cash or trying to distance himself from the cash?

bleedXblue
09-27-2017, 09:36 AM
There is a reason those programs are the truly elite. Trying to compare our recruiting to theirs seems kind of silly.

Not to mention each of those programs usually has at least one (or 5 if you are UK) of their freshman leave early opening up playing time for the next freshman.

A lot of players seem to be ok with losing some playing time as well to play for one of the elite coaches/programs too, especially the ones with proven track records of getting a lot of players into the NBA, even players who didnt start if have huge numbers.

We are no different in terms of spots opening up and guys having opportunities to play. We lose guys to transfer all the time and have had two guys go early to the NBA in Semaj and Edmond recently. Im not buying it. We've just had a bad recruiting year.......

ammtd34
09-27-2017, 09:50 AM
We are no different in terms of spots opening up and guys having opportunities to play. We lose guys to transfer all the time and have had two guys go early to the NBA in Semaj and Edmond recently. Im not buying it. We've just had a bad recruiting year.......

I'm going with Rick Carter on this one.

D-West & PO-Z
09-27-2017, 10:29 AM

You completely ignored a major part of my post. We arent UNC, KU, UK, or Duke. Major recruits will be ok with decreased playing time for one of those coaches and one of those schools and those schools usually have at least one or more freshman leave early, XU has never had anyone leave early for the NBA after their freshman year.

I am not even agruing that our reason for have a poor recruiting year is because of the strength of the class above but if it was the reason, the argument "that cant be true look at UK, Duke, KU" doesnt seem like a strong one to me considering their programs are on a whole other level than ours.

MHettel
09-27-2017, 10:48 AM

Honestly what else would Rick Carter say? "we didn't land any of these recruits because we were out-recruited?" Of course he's going to find an excuse....

xufan2434
09-27-2017, 10:55 AM
Honestly what else would Rick Carter say? "we didn't land any of these recruits because we were out-recruited?" Of course he's going to find an excuse....

He's not on staff anymore. And yeah, he's not going to embarrass his friends that are on the staff. But he was asked in general if that plays a role when you're recruiting and he said yes and that you have to plan for that.

Either way, regardless of how X got to this point -- They're gonna have to fill some slots. And hopefully the de commitments that are going to start happening today/this week will help them in some way or another. I have to believe this helps get them Bey. Who knows.. If they get him to commit, maybe it will swing others too

X Factor
09-27-2017, 11:13 AM

What's he going to say? "Yeah, they've struck on out on recruiting so far this year."

I mean, this class is supposed to have 5 guys and we've got one unranked kid committed right now.

Mack will play any kid who's good enough to play. All of our freshman this year will get playing time. Harden might not get a lot, but Marshall and Scruggs will definitely see the court quite a bit and be in the regular rotation.

You don't think the schools these kids are committing to don't have players at these kids' positions too? You don't think UK is going to have a few studs in '18 in the front court besides Jaxson Hayes (if he ends up at UK)?

There's no other way to put it except it's been a bad recruiting year...so far. Hopefully the tide changes and we lock up some talented kids up in the near future.

flatspat
09-27-2017, 11:23 AM
So, is he mad he didn't get any cash or trying to distance himself from the cash?

I would hope getting way from the money but think Bruce Pearl. He was just having a friendly BBQ at his house in Knoxville

bleedXblue
09-27-2017, 12:39 PM
What's he going to say? "Yeah, they've struck on out on recruiting so far this year."

I mean, this class is supposed to have 5 guys and we've got one unranked kid committed right now.

Mack will play any kid who's good enough to play. All of our freshman this year will get playing time. Harden might not get a lot, but Marshall and Scruggs will definitely see the court quite a bit and be in the regular rotation.

You don't think the schools these kids are committing to don't have players at these kids' positions too? You don't think UK is going to have a few studs in '18 in the front court besides Jaxson Hayes (if he ends up at UK)?

There's no other way to put it except it's been a bad recruiting year...so far. Hopefully the tide changes and we lock up some talented kids up in the near future.

someone gets it

ammtd34
09-27-2017, 01:08 PM

I'm not sure what you're arguing, but yes. I would expect Carter to say, "They've struck out on recruiting so far this year," if he thinks that's what's happening.

GoMuskies
09-27-2017, 03:19 PM
So.....any chance we can get in on Courtney Ramey?

94GRAD
09-27-2017, 03:56 PM
So.....any chance we can get in on Courtney Ramey?

Who's she? She sounds hot!

GoMuskies
09-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Who's she? She sounds hot!

Smoking hot! Wait, what did I just say? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

https://res-5.cloudinary.com/rivals/image/upload/t_large/pkzcmzx9lvoh5optewoh

xufan2434
09-28-2017, 08:16 AM
Chris offered Vincent Williams out of St John's Toledo last night

Anyone know anything about him?

flatspat
09-28-2017, 08:19 AM

FWIW St.John is B.J. Raymond's alma mater

bleedXblue
09-28-2017, 08:23 AM

wow hes a 2 star according to 247

mistabeecee41
09-28-2017, 08:58 AM
wow hes a 2 star according to 247

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72k9wNGgx8

i mean considering our only signing is walter, he will at least improve the athleticism of the class

X Factor
09-28-2017, 12:08 PM
I think this is a sign of we have moved on from our "priority" recruits and are now offering the kids who we would normally never offer.

This kid is the #18 ranked prospect....in Ohio, #422 nationally.

BandAid
09-28-2017, 12:15 PM
6'5" left-handed. If he was 6'8" I'd be excited for him as a sleeper/development type of recruit. But at 6'5"...less so.

If I was him I'd accept the offer on the spot. I can't imagine him get a better one.

(Watch he now blows up and shoots up the draft boards...)

mistabeecee41
09-28-2017, 12:42 PM
I think this is a sign of we have moved on from our "priority" recruits and are now offering the kids who we would normally never offer.

This kid is the #18 ranked prospect....in Ohio, #422 nationally.

cough cough brandon randolph cough cough kamall richards

X Factor
09-28-2017, 01:23 PM
cough cough brandon randolph cough cough kamall richards

And what did they ever do in a Xavier uniform?

According to Scout.com, X is this kid's only offer....unless Mack thinks he's the next James Harden, this is a far reach after missing out on all of our recruits.

I really don't want to bash Mack. I think he's a great coach and hope he never leaves Xavier, but this '18 class is shaping up to be a dud.

mistabeecee41
09-29-2017, 11:57 AM
put up or shutup time.

WVU isn't recruiting Harris anymore, and he's on his official this weekend - supposedly down to us and URI.

muskiefan82
09-29-2017, 12:05 PM
If we lose to URInation, I will be disappointed.

X Factor
09-29-2017, 12:48 PM
If we lose to URInation, I will be disappointed.

If that happens, I'll be convinced Mack could have a son who's a 5* recruit next year and he wouldn't pick X.

XU3232
09-29-2017, 12:57 PM
If that happens, I'll be convinced Mack could have a son who's a 5* recruit next year and he wouldn't pick X.

With all the minutes we are going to have available to this kid... it should be a very easy decision.

bobbiemcgee
09-29-2017, 10:54 PM
put up or shutup time.

WVU isn't recruiting Harris anymore, and he's on his official this weekend - supposedly down to us and URI.

I have two half used sugar n spice gift cards and a
cheese coney to lure him. Hope no one's listening.

Juice
10-01-2017, 12:50 PM
With all the minutes we are going to have available to this kid... it should be a very easy decision.

URI has been recruiting him the longest.

xudash
10-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Provide him a "due diligence" visit to LOSSSALLE so that he can see where he would have to play in Gola Arena, then say "Duquesne, St. Bonaventure and Fordham, just to name a few" and we'll see if that long recruiting process holds up.

Juice
10-01-2017, 03:04 PM
https://twitter.com/Thortontucker/status/914262408885161986

X Factor
10-01-2017, 03:26 PM
https://twitter.com/Thortontucker/status/914262408885161986

We've been in everyone's Final Whatever...this kid isn't coming to X.

BandAid
10-01-2017, 03:30 PM

That’s a bummer. I liked his game

XU3232
10-01-2017, 05:50 PM
URI has been recruiting him the longest.

Yea I know.. they have probably done the best job with him too. I still think X has a hell of a lot more to offer.

Juice
10-01-2017, 06:21 PM
Yea I know.. they have probably done the best job with him too. I still think X has a hell of a lot more to offer.

I agree with you but Xavier has won a few recruiting battles against bigger programs because they were the first team to show interest in a player.

xudash
10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
I agree with you but Xavier has won a few recruiting battles against bigger programs because they were the first team to show interest in a player.

True, but it's all relative isn't it?

Xavier versus bigger programs as compared to URI versus Big East/Xavier.

On that note, who knows; we'll see.

GIMMFD
10-01-2017, 08:14 PM

Agreed, Simeone? Wasn't that Derrick Rose's high school, and maybe Jahil Okafor's as well?

Juice
10-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Agreed, Simeone? Wasn't that Derrick Rose's high school, and maybe Jahil Okafor's as well?

Jabari Parker

XU3232
10-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Just saw that Mack isn't following Jermaine Harris on twitter.. I assume he was at some point but I could be (and hope I am) wrong.

X Factor
10-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Just saw that Mack isn't following Jermaine Harris on twitter.. I assume he was at some point but I could be (and hope I am) wrong.

At this point he should just stop following all recruits...it ain't helping anyway.

mistabeecee41
10-01-2017, 09:03 PM

I actually noticed Mack wasn’t following him even before the visit, so I wouldn’t look too much into this one

XU3232
10-02-2017, 07:09 AM
I actually noticed Mack wasn’t following him even before the visit, so I wouldn’t look too much into this one

That's good... didn't know that, I just assumed he was.

XUMIOH12
10-02-2017, 11:59 PM

he appears to be following Jermaine Harris now

XUMIOH12
10-03-2017, 12:06 AM
According to Scout, the Muskies have 3 consensus 4-star recruits on campus this weekend. David McCormack (6'9" C out of Virginia), Isaiah Mucius (6'8" SF out of Queens), and Noah Locke (6'2" PG out of Maryland) are all here. Let's hope we get some good news out of this.

Noah Locke is announcing at 7pm Tuesday.

Feel like it will be more of the same with this one.

XUMIOH12
10-03-2017, 12:17 AM
Noah Locke is announcing at 7pm Tuesday.

Feel like it will be more of the same with this one.

Mack isn't following Locke right now (have no idea if he was previously) FWIW.

XMuskieFTW
10-03-2017, 12:29 AM
Mack isn't following Locke right now (have no idea if he was previously) FWIW.

He was earlier today. Safe to say that ship has sailed.

xufan2434
10-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Jermaine is announcing his decision on Friday. 247 is predicting X. Really need to get him to get this thing rolling

Is everyone thinking we're on the outside looking in on Talen Horton Tucker? Saw Edmond, Tyrique, and Naji all re tweet him saying something about X when he listed his final 7. I'd feel a lot better if they got him or Bey to go with Harris

XU3232
10-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Jermaine is announcing his decision on Friday. 247 is predicting X. Really need to get him to get this thing rolling

Is everyone thinking we're on the outside looking in on Talen Horton Tucker? Saw Edmond, Tyrique, and Naji all re tweet him saying something about X when he listed his final 7. I'd feel a lot better if they got him or Bey to go with Harris

I really hope we get Harris but I think 247 is just predicting X because we were his last visit. I think Talen is much more realistic then Bey right now too. If we can somehow get Harris, Talen, and Keonte Kennedy this class would end up being just fine.

Juice
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
I really hope we get Harris but I think 247 is just predicting X because we were his last visit. I think Talen is much more realistic then Bey right now too. If we can somehow get Harris, Talen, and Keonte Kennedy this class would end up being just fine.

Agreed. My only fear is that getting those three would involve everything going 100% right for us which it has yet to do this recruiting cycle.

XUMIOH12
10-03-2017, 09:50 AM
He was earlier today. Safe to say that ship has sailed.

yeah looks like Florida is supposedly the favorite

XU3232
10-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Agreed. My only fear is that getting those three would involve everything going 100% right for us which it has yet to do this recruiting cycle.

That's for sure.. no margin for error anymore. I'm sure the staff is beyond stressed about these next few weeks.

XMuskieFTW
10-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Been reading URI's forum to try and find info. They seemed overly confident, but in the past day or two it sounds like doubts are creeping in. My favorite thing on their Jermaine Harris thread is that they are claiming we only have 1 open scholarship left for 2018 when we have 6.

XUMIOH12
10-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Been reading URI's forum to try and find info. They seemed overly confident, but in the past day or two it sounds like doubts are creeping in. My favorite thing on their Jermaine Harris thread is that they are claiming we only have 1 open scholarship left for 2018 when we have 6.

lol thats sad. all you have to do is look up the current roster and then look up our 1 man class haha

anyways, hes supposed to be announcing at 2pm on Friday

XMuskieFTW
10-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Keonte Kennedy set to announce at 7pm. X in his final 6. Would be a nice get at a position we badly need.

XU3232
10-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Keonte Kennedy set to announce at 7pm. X in his final 6. Would be a nice get at a position we badly need.

Agreed.. he's not highly ranked but the kid can shoot (which we desperately need) and seems athletic. Would love to have him.

XMuskieFTW
10-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Agreed.. he's not highly ranked but the kid can shoot (which we desperately need) and seems athletic. Would love to have him.

Crystal ball all just put him at X over the past few hours. Think we can breathe a little easier tonight with this class.

xufan2434
10-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Would be a really good get imo. With missing on some of the other guys like they have, getting someone who's elite at one skill like shooting is much more valuable. Especially with all the young guys that are capable of driving that are on the roster now. Good fit

bobbiemcgee
10-03-2017, 03:44 PM

He's a espn 4 star with 32 offers.

GIMMFD
10-03-2017, 03:47 PM

I like to check out the offer list to see as well, Memphis, VCU, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech offered as well, which means he's probably pretty damn good at shooting, and has other major conference team's interest, I think it would be a great get. We need a shooter for sure with the way things have gone with Ridder, and Tre, JP, etc. leaving. I have a good feeling we're gonna get some good news this week, starting with Kennedy.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 06:13 PM
He's coming to X. I dont follow recruiting too much so I know nothing about him other than he is a 4 star. Seems like a good sign especially in this rough patch.

xu82
10-03-2017, 06:34 PM
He's coming to X. I dont follow recruiting too much so I know nothing about him other than he is a 4 star. Seems like a good sign especially in this rough patch.

If this makes it true, I wish you'd do it more often!!!

LA Muskie
10-03-2017, 06:35 PM
He's an ESPN 4-star. He's unranked on Scout.

GIMMFD
10-03-2017, 06:36 PM

Haha well it was announced 30 minutes ago ;), let's hope this helps lock up Harris, and possibly get lucky with Bey. Could still end up being a pretty decent class guys.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 06:36 PM

If what makes what true? Sorry I'm lost.

That Kennedy guy committed right? Saw it on FB.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 06:37 PM
He's an ESPN 4-star. He's unranked on Scout.

Is Scout usually the better judge? How many stars do you have to have to be ranked on Scout? Can you be a 4 star on ESPN but not the top 100?

XU3232
10-03-2017, 06:37 PM
He's a espn 4 star with 32 offers.

I don't even pay attention to espn recruiting because I don't think it's very good.. I think Scout is much better but that's just me. I'm not saying the kid isn't talented.. I'm thrilled to have him and really think this is a great fit.

LA Muskie
10-03-2017, 06:38 PM
Is Scout usually the better judge? How many stars do you have to have to be ranked on Scout? Can you be a 4 star on ESPN but not the top 100?
I too tend to trust Scout more than ESPN because they have a dedicated recruiting staff. And I don't think he'll crack the Scout 100.

XU3232
10-03-2017, 06:39 PM
I like to check out the offer list to see as well, Memphis, VCU, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech offered as well, which means he's probably pretty damn good at shooting, and has other major conference team's interest, I think it would be a great get. We need a shooter for sure with the way things have gone with Ridder, and Tre, JP, etc. leaving. I have a good feeling we're gonna get some good news this week, starting with Kennedy.

I agree he did have some solid schools going after him. He's a great shooter who is athletic and a good defender.. exactly what we needed.

GIMMFD
10-03-2017, 06:39 PM

Yup you sure can on ESPN, I think they extend 4stars to about the 120-130 range, though take that with a grain of salt, I'm not 100% sure on that, I just know you can be a 4 star outside the top 100.

xu82
10-03-2017, 06:44 PM
If what makes what true? Sorry I'm lost.

That Kennedy guy committed right? Saw it on FB.

I didn't see it reported here, so I guessed it was unbridled optimism on you part.

Emp
10-03-2017, 06:51 PM
Yea team!

MuskieXU
10-03-2017, 06:57 PM
I hate to be a downer but this seems like a case of not getting our first choice (Locke) and then deciding to give the spot to Kennedy. It's a little disappointing to get our back up plan but that doesnt mean he wont be a solid player. Lets hope its the start of some momentum.

LA Muskie
10-03-2017, 06:59 PM
The best analogy for this recruiting season is that we swung for the fences but didn't hit any home runs. If we get a double and a few singles, it'll be a serviceable class even if there are no fireworks.

D-West & PO-Z
10-03-2017, 07:15 PM
I didn't see it reported here, so I guessed it was unbridled optimism on you part.

Ah, I see.

Juice
10-03-2017, 09:26 PM
I hate to be a downer but this seems like a case of not getting our first choice (Locke) and then deciding to give the spot to Kennedy. It's a little disappointing to get our back up plan but that doesnt mean he wont be a solid player. Lets hope its the start of some momentum.

I see your point but he fills an obvious need. He's not some stiff who can only shoot and do nothing else. And he had some other decent offers. I think he will fit in nicely around Scruggs, Goodin, Harden and Marshall.

GIMMFD
10-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I see your point but he fills an obvious need. He's not some stiff who can only shoot and do nothing else. And he had some other decent offers. I think he will fit in nicely around Scruggs, Goodin, Harden and Marshall.

This, this, and this. It's a pretty damn solid Plan B to have this guy come in. He's going to be alright in our system and what we're building here, I'm satisfied with this commitment for sure.

Masterofreality
10-05-2017, 07:17 AM

Jeezus H Cripes, the kids a 4 Star and had offers from Michigan among others. Last time I checked, Beilien was a pretty good coach.

How picky have we become?

xu82
10-05-2017, 08:35 AM
Jeezus H Cripes, the kids a 4 Star and had offers from Michigan among others. Last time I checked, Beilien was a pretty good coach.

How picky have we become?

Well, the 39.5% he shot from 3 last spring/summer would only barely be the best on the team for all of last year.

XU3232
10-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Well, the 39.5% he shot from 3 last spring/summer would only barely be the best on the team for all of last year.

Correct.. but next year is even more important considering we lose Tre and JP. The fact that Scruggs seems to be shooting better than expected is great news too.

X Factor
10-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Jermaine Harris to Rhode Island! Every crystal ball prediction this summer has been spot on, except the one that predicts a kid going to Xavier! That's the way this summer of recruiting has gone for X.

Who is left? Saddiq Bey? 247 has him to NC State now...

The staff needs to get their mojo back. It's been an forgettable recruiting year. Hopefully it doesn't negatively impact X down the road.

GIMMFD
10-06-2017, 06:23 PM

That's also coming in, if he's a workhorse and in Cintas all hours of the day, and really works to improve his game, he could shoot even higher. I know we shouldn't play into the star game too much, but you'd have to believe that a 4* means plenty of potential!! I definitely like this get, we should let him get to campus and play some before judging, I mean hell, half of the board wanted to complain about Q when he was first getting his feet wet, now look! ;)

Jermaine Harris to Rhode Island! Every crystal ball prediction this summer has been spot on, except the one that predicts a kid going to Xavier! That's the way this summer of recruiting has gone for X.

Who is left? Saddiq Bey? 247 has him to NC State now...

The staff needs to get their mojo back. It's been an forgettable recruiting year. Hopefully it doesn't negatively impact X down the road.

Ugh, damnit lost out to Rhode Island? Seems like we haven't caught much of a break this class. Hopefully Bey sees something special we're building and decides to come to X. I guess if this class is bad, we can always build on 2019. It'll hurt, but at the end of the day, we still have opportunities to get great talent to X, and our level of play will definitely help influence that. Let's hope we have a monster year, and spark up some interest down the road for some recruits!

bobbiemcgee
10-06-2017, 07:20 PM
What will the recruiting scandal fallout be? Decommitts could be falling out of the trees.

paulxu
10-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Without knowing all the ins and outs about the kid going to Rhode Island, it surprises me that we would lose a recruit to the A10.
Absent things like, he saw a lack of possible floor time here (and things like that) is it at all possible that Book's association with us years ago, is being used against us?

Emp
10-06-2017, 09:22 PM
What will the recruiting scandal fallout be? Decommitts could be falling out of the trees.

We want recruits from programs that were benefiting from illegal payments? I'd rather have a bad recruiting year than a tainted good one.

Still troubled by losing out on decent post prospects. If Mack believes as I do that the last piece in a FINAL FOUR roster is a solid center, but can't land one for X, he'll be gone sooner than later. He's still driving a Buick until we land or develop a really good 5.

bobbiemcgee
10-06-2017, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Emp;598804]We want recruits from programs that were benefiting from illegal payments? I'd rather have a bad recruiting year than a tainted good one.

QUOTE]

Thinking more along lines of coaches getting booted, not 5 stars getting paid.

GIMMFD
10-06-2017, 10:00 PM
We want recruits from programs that were benefiting from illegal payments? I'd rather have a bad recruiting year than a tainted good one.

Still troubled by losing out on decent post prospects. If Mack believes as I do that the last piece in a FINAL FOUR roster is a solid center, but can't land one for X, he'll be gone sooner than later. He's still driving a Buick until we land or develop a really good 5.

I really really really don't think in any way, shape, or form that Mack will be gone because we couldn't land a center. If he leaves, it's for his own personal reasons, I tend to believe we have the potential to knock down the door to the Final 4 this year, and we don't have a "really good 5", if O'Mara continues to develop like he did in the tournament, and Jones continues to develop, I don't see why we couldn't do it with our loaded roster. I believe Mack loves his alma-mater, and would love to be the first coach in X history to bring us a Final 4. I don't have facts, just pure speculation.

XMuskieFTW
10-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Without knowing all the ins and outs about the kid going to Rhode Island, it surprises me that we would lose a recruit to the A10.
Absent things like, he saw a lack of possible floor time here (and things like that) is it at all possible that Book's association with us years ago, is being used against us?

His family and the assistant coach(coach in waiting when Hurley bolts for a better job after this year) have been family friends for 25 years

JTG
10-07-2017, 07:44 AM
My biggest fear is the cloud of Mack to UL hangs over us all year, making recruiting nearly impossible.

X Factor
10-07-2017, 08:55 AM
My biggest fear is the cloud of Mack to UL hangs over us all year, making recruiting nearly impossible.

I don't think that's the issue at all, imo. I don't think recruits are scared of not getting playing time either. There are plenty of schools with good incoming classes who are recruiting well for '18. I don't know what it is with this class, but unless we get some unexpected good news, I've resigned myself to the fact this is going to be a pretty weak recruiting class. Who knows, maybe Walter and Kennedy will turn into great players.

XUBison
10-07-2017, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=X Factor;598809]I don't think that's the issue at all, imo.]

What makes you think it’s not an issue? How can it not be?

X Factor
10-08-2017, 04:49 AM
[QUOTE=X Factor;598809]I don't think that's the issue at all, imo.]

What makes you think it’s not an issue? How can it not be?

Because we deal with the "Mack is leaving" rumors every off-season. You don't think other programs have been telling recruits Mack won't be at Xavier much longer the past 5 years?

XUGRAD80
10-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Not only does Xavier deal with it every year, but so does just about every other school.

The UC fans are convinced that it’s gojng to be Cronin to UL and not Mack.

Nova fans fear their coach leaving for the pros or for another school.

Etc.

GIMMFD
10-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Not only does Xavier deal with it every year, but so does just about every other school.

The UC fans are convinced that it’s gojng to be Cronin to UL and not Mack.

Etc.

Yeah but UC fans are delusional.

XUBison
10-08-2017, 05:39 PM

The UC fans are convinced that itÂ’s gojng to be Cronin to UL and not Mack.

Etc.

Right... and I suspect it is a recruiting hurdle for most coaches. In fact, after name brand, I would think itÂ’s one of the biggest reasons schools like UK, KU, UNC, Zona, & Duke routinely land the very top recruits... those coaches aren’t going anywhere, at least not of their own volition.

Nova recruits ahead of X or UC; the fact Wright has publicly declared he does not intend to leave Nova has nothing to do with that? Obviously recruiting involves a litany of factors, but it seems to me things like coaching continuity and available playing time have to be two of the most critical considerations a recruit has to make.

I could be wrong though... Maybe the most important consideration is which campus cafeteria serves the best chicken patties.

XUGRAD80
10-08-2017, 07:25 PM
It’s certainly a hurdle, but then again I’m not sure it’s a huge hurdle. Especially since Mack (and so many other coaches) deals with it every year and has for some time. By now I’m sure that they have learned how to deal with it.

There are as many reasons why a kid chooses one school over another as there are kids. Each one is different. It’s not all about who the head coach is for every kid. But I’m sure that is a factor for most kids.

Juice
10-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout

Five-star Ayo Dosunmu is down to final 2 of Illinois and Wake Forest

GIMMFD
10-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Right... and I suspect it is a recruiting hurdle for most coaches. In fact, after name brand, I would think itÂ’s one of the biggest reasons schools like UK, KU, UNC, Zona, & Duke routinely land the very top recruits... those coaches aren’t going anywhere, at least not of their own volition.

Nova recruits ahead of X or UC; the fact Wright has publicly declared he does not intend to leave Nova has nothing to do with that? Obviously recruiting involves a litany of factors, but it seems to me things like coaching continuity and available playing time have to be two of the most critical considerations a recruit has to make.

I could be wrong though... Maybe the most important consideration is which campus cafeteria serves the best chicken patties.

I'm slightly curious, so this is a serious question, wouldn't having Mack be an alum of Xavier help quench some of those fears? Or even him turning down IU/OSU this summer? I figured that would help us out, rather than recruits worrying about him jumping ship to UofL

LA Muskie
10-09-2017, 01:18 AM

Decommits following a recruiting scandal??? No thanks...

LA Muskie
10-09-2017, 01:19 AM
It's no more surprising than some of the recruiting battles we have won. Conference/School are important, but sometimes relationships carry the day. Especially when the Dad/AAU/HS Coach stand to benefit.

LA Muskie
10-09-2017, 01:20 AM
[QUOTE=Emp;598804]We want recruits from programs that were benefiting from illegal payments? I'd rather have a bad recruiting year than a tainted good one.

QUOTE]Thinking more along lines of coaches getting booted, not 5 stars getting paid.
A very fine line...

LA Muskie
10-09-2017, 01:24 AM
This is honestly the LEAST of my fears. Power 5 Conference schools have been negative recruiting on the notion that Mack would jump for years. Yet he's turned down Tennessee, Cal, Indiana and Ohio State. If a recruit genuinely fears that Mack will jump ship to a scandal-ridden, likely-to-be-catastrophically-sanctioned Louisiville, so be it...

xucub
10-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Shaq Carter officially to Rutgers.

GIMMFD
10-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Shaq Carter officially to Rutgers.

Another swing and miss, and the crystal ball predictions on Saddiq Bey have him a 100% lock to NC State. Rough recruiting cycle

Juice
10-10-2017, 11:04 PM
Another swing and miss, and the crystal ball predictions on Saddiq Bey have him a 100% lock to NC State. Rough recruiting cycle

They had stepped back from Carter but still not good news.

X Factor
10-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Longtime X target Ayo Dosunmu committed to Illinois. I know he's from Illinois, but they've sucked the past few years.

We failed to land a single priority recruit this year, and ended up with two unranked kids.

Hope this class doesn't come back to hurt X in a year or two. We lose Trevon, JP, and Sean next year for sure. After that, if one of this year's freshman leave, it's going to hurt. Already lost Ridder before the season started...

I guess kids don't care about March runs. Thought X would parlay last year's tourney success into another high ranked recruiting class. It's looking like an A10 recruiting class.

Juice
10-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Longtime X target Ayo Dosunmu committed to Illinois. I know he's from Illinois, but they've sucked the past few years.

We failed to land a single priority recruit this year, and ended up with two unranked kids.

Hope this class doesn't come back to hurt X in a year or two. We lose Trevon, JP, and Sean next year for sure. After that, if one of this year's freshman leave, it's going to hurt. Already lost Ridder before the season started...

I guess kids don't care about March runs. Thought X would parlay last year's tourney success into another high ranked recruiting class. It's looking like an A10 recruiting class.

His final 2 were Illinois and Wake.

X is still waiting on THT, Saddiq, and they offered a new guy this week.

XU3232
10-20-2017, 11:54 AM

I think X backed off Ayo weeks ago... probably because they saw the writing on the wall.

This recruiting class has been awful there's no doubt, but I'm still holding out hope that they can at least get Saddiq or Talen... if they ended up getting both (which is a huge IF) that would be huge.

XMuskieFTW
10-20-2017, 12:08 PM
The good news is the 2018 class is an extremely weak class. If we were going to completely miss on the class, this is the one to miss on.

X Factor
10-20-2017, 12:48 PM
The good news is the 2018 class is an extremely weak class. If we were going to completely miss on the class, this is the one to miss on.

Don't agree with this. We were in on A LOT of highly ranked kids. I'm talking final 2 or 3 on just about all of our "priority" recruits, and missed on all of them.

Juice
10-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Don't agree with this. We were in on A LOT of highly ranked kids. I'm talking final 2 or 3 on just about all of our "priority" recruits, and missed on all of them.

Yeah highly ranked in the class of 2018. But the class of 2019 > 2018.

paulxu
10-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Did any/all of the kids who re-opened their recruiting from the FBI deal commit to new places?

Juice
10-20-2017, 02:17 PM
Did any/all of the kids who re-opened their recruiting from the FBI deal commit to new places?

No but most of them are five stars that X was never recruiting.

MHettel
10-20-2017, 05:28 PM

Not sure I understand. I don't see any good news here.

First, we have a 5 man class to fill. That's very important.
Second, it's a weak class in general. Not exactly the type of class you hope for when you have 5 spots to fill.
Third, we aren't getting any of our top line targets, pushing us deeper down to fill a lot of spots in a weak class.

Am I missing something?

Masterofreality
10-20-2017, 05:48 PM
The good news is that we have 3 stud freshmen and 2 stud sophs.

We'll be OK. Transfers can always help.

X Factor
10-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Second, it's a weak class in general. Not exactly the type of class you hope for when you have 5 spots to fill.
Third, we aren't getting any of our top line targets, pushing us deeper down to fill a lot of spots in a weak class.

Am I missing something?

Good post. Totally agree.

Juice
10-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Am I missing something?

He made a small point that if there was a year to miss on targets that this was the year because the class of 2018 is much weaker than the classes of 2017 and 2019.

You're correct we haven't hit on top targets but we still have two top targets waiting to announce.

JEHARDI
10-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Any recruits at Madness?

X Factor
10-21-2017, 08:56 PM
Any recruits at Madness?

Nothing? Surely we had to have had some recruits there. :chin:

JTG
10-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Probably any recruits we still have, attended madness type events at the other schools on their lists prior to declaring for one of those other schools.

xu82
10-21-2017, 11:39 PM
There were a bunch of '19 recruits, apparently. Beyond that, I don't want to get in trouble.

Juice
10-22-2017, 12:17 AM
There were a bunch of '19 recruits, apparently. Beyond that, I don't want to get in trouble.

And one 2018 recruit who already verballed (sp?) to X so overall nothing to write home about.

XMuskieFTW
10-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Talen Horton-Tucker down to X, Iowa State, and Illinois. Announcing Thursday at 7:30. Really need this commitment to help salvage the '18 class.

GIMMFD
10-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Talen Horton-Tucker down to X, Iowa State, and Illinois. Announcing Thursday at 7:30. Really need this commitment to help salvage the '18 class.

How are you feeling about it?? You've been right so far, so I want to know whether to be excited or not..

BandAid
10-23-2017, 06:08 PM

I love his game. Hope he picks X!

XMuskieFTW
10-23-2017, 10:55 PM
How are you feeling about it?? You've been right so far, so I want to know whether to be excited or not..

I do somewhat like our chances here. I'd say 55% X 45% Iowa State. That being said, I'm just fully expecting it to be iowa state because this class is cursed.

GIMMFD
10-24-2017, 05:25 PM
I do somewhat like our chances here. I'd say 55% X 45% Iowa State. That being said, I'm just fully expecting it to be iowa state because this class is cursed.

Haha fair, but at least we have a realistic chance at this one, as opposed to someone like Noah Locke who we knew we weren't going to get by decision day, as of now for what it's worth Mack, XUBasketball, and Edmund Sumner all still follow him.

Lamont Sanford
10-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Looks like THT is headed to Champaign, IL.

Lamont Sanford
10-25-2017, 07:37 AM
Saw on Twitter yesterday that we offered some 3-star class of '18 Dayton-esque BWS from Clarkston (MI) named Taylor Currie. He was also offered recently by Wisconsin.

Maybe Jake Walter has a cousin or little brother we could offer too.

bleedXblue
10-25-2017, 08:35 AM
WTF is going on

XU 87
10-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Saw on Twitter yesterday that we offered some 3-star class of '18 Dayton-esque BWS from Clarkston (MI) named Taylor Currie. He was also offered recently by Wisconsin.

He's a good player. He originally committed to Michigan.

JTG
10-25-2017, 09:37 AM

Hope he likes watching the NCAA on tv instead of playing in it.

xavbball
10-25-2017, 10:11 AM

I know 247 is predicting Illionis but I'd be very surprised if he goes there. He unfollowed Ayo on twitter. The two just don't get along. As others said on this board it's between X and Iowa State. Hopefully he picks the good guys.

XUGRAD80
10-25-2017, 10:30 AM

I’m not much concerned with the star ratings that kids get. It’s all so very subjective and a person that’s a 3 on one can be a 2 or a 4 on another site. I like to look at who else has actually OFFERED the kid a scolly. For example there is a new kid from Ga. that X is in on according to 24/7. He has a lot of offers from mid-majors, but he also got offered by KANSAS. Somebody must see something in the kid.

xu82
10-25-2017, 10:37 AM
I’m not much concerned with the star ratings that kids get. It’s all so very subjective and a person that’s a 3 on one can be a 2 or a 4 on another site. I like to look at who else has actually OFFERED the kid a scolly. For example there is a new kid from Ga. that X is in on according to 24/7. He has a lot of offers from mid-majors, but he also got offered by KANSAS. Somebody must see something in the kid.

If that is Zion Williamson's buddy (maybe the top kid in that class), that may explain that offer. BTW, Zion goes to school with my brother in laws kids. He came over for the Prom night pool party and the parents checked in to be sure it was a good environment. Supposed to be a great kid.

GIMMFD
10-25-2017, 06:26 PM
If that is Zion Williamson's buddy (maybe the top kid in that class), that may explain that offer. BTW, Zion goes to school with my brother in laws kids. He came over for the Prom night pool party and the parents checked in to be sure it was a good environment. Supposed to be a great kid.

I've actually heard nothing but good things about Williamson too, I have a buddy in Spartansburg that went to go watch him play, and ended up randomly sitting next to his family and just having casual conversation. I find that incredibly awesome that a kid that's been hyped up for about three years now can keep a good head on his shoulders because I know at 17 I thought I was hot shit for winning a state championship in soccer. Nothing but respect for him and his family.

As for the rest of the thread, I said it on the offer sheet for the 4* shooter we got that if they're attracting top conference schools, or power schools, it's a good sign, if Michigan offered, Wisconsin offered, I don't care how Dayton-esque he seems. These are programs that develop talent, and if Currie wants to come to X, and becomes a solid contributor to the team, then I could really give a rats ass about whether he was part of a top 10 recruiting class or not. With the way things are striking out, we need to spot and develop some talent, something Mack and company have done a damn good job of over the past few years. There's always going to be busts, but with busts, you always have a gem as well.

XU 87
10-25-2017, 08:16 PM

I agree. If a kid is a 4 star but only has offers from Bowling Green, Kent, Wright State and Dayton, that tells me he's probably not that good.

muskienick
10-25-2017, 10:43 PM
I agree. If a kid is a 4 star but only has offers from Bowling Green, Kent, Wright State and Dayton, that tells me he's probably not that good.

And yet when Xavier was at a level no better (and maybe even a bit worse) than the programs you mentioned, we were able to attract some excellent talent to Muskieland: Darnell Williams, Byron Larkin, Tyrone Hill, Jamie Gladden, Brian Grant, etc...

GIMMFD
10-25-2017, 11:28 PM
And yet when Xavier was at a level no better (and maybe even a bit worse) than the programs you mentioned, we were able to attract some excellent talent to Muskieland: Darnell Williams, Byron Larkin, Tyrone Hill, Jamie Gladden, Brian Grant, etc...

Though that's a fair argument that's more so on development of the staff, and having a good eye. Sure we have those guys that were incredible, but how many did we have that didn't pan out. Recruiting is, and forever will be hit or miss. Even some of Duke's 5* talent aren't as good as advertised. It's just on our staff to continue to develop talent, and have an eye for talent, which I believe we've done a very good job of in the past decade.

X Factor
10-26-2017, 01:09 AM
Though that's a fair argument that's more so on development of the staff, and having a good eye. Sure we have those guys that were incredible, but how many did we have that didn't pan out. Recruiting is, and forever will be hit or miss. Even some of Duke's 5* talent aren't as good as advertised. It's just on our staff to continue to develop talent, and have an eye for talent, which I believe we've done a very good job of in the past decade.

Who is always going deep in the tourney and making Final Fours? Teams that recruit really, really well. I would rather develop highly ranked kids than try to develop lower ranked kids. There's always kids that aren't ranked high coming out of HS that turn into stars, but I would rather get the studs first. It's not a coincidence Nova has dominated the league. They recruit at a very high level. Jay Wright is an excellent coach too.

Receuiting is the lifeblood of a program. What's the saying? "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmys and Joes"

XUGRAD80
10-26-2017, 06:05 AM
Who is always going deep in the tourney and making Final Fours? Teams that recruit really, really well.

Receuiting is the lifeblood of a program. What's the saying? "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmys and Joes"

Final 4 appearances 2007-2017

Kentucky 4
Kansas. 2
N. Car. 4
Duke. 2

Maybe we should say....”it is not just the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s, but it’s also how they run the X’s and O’s“

Talent is a great thing to have, but it’s still a TEAM game. That talent needs to be able to work together and needs to be playing at their best. That takes good coaching and leadership.

X Factor
10-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Talen Horton-Tucker will be announcing his decision today. Probably another in a long line of recruits this year with X in his final 2 or 3 that goes elsewhere. I have no inside info, but that's the way it's gone this year. Don't know why we've struck out on all these kids...

I really hope I'm wrong.

XMuskieFTW
10-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Talen Horton-Tucker will be announcing his decision today. Probably another in a long line of recruits this year with X in his final 2 or 3 that goes elsewhere. I have no inside info, but that's the way it's gone this year. Don't know why we've struck out on all these kids...

I really hope I'm wrong.

Illinois fans are beyond convinced he's going there. Doesn't sound like things are looking good for us. He has been very quiet about everything though, so hopefully he surprises everyone and chooses X.

UCGRAD4X
10-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I agree with this, however we don't know (at least I don't) what the hierarchy is as to the highest evaluated and highest priority recruits (best fit/most talented/reasonable chance to accept an offer) to not-so-important and then the just-in-case recruits (and throw in the players that we think we can develop).

Maybe the recruits that have passed on Xavier are not that high on Mack and company's list (or generally not so likely to commit/'long shots'). Maybe the ones we end up getting are higher on the list than the 'rating' and the timing might suggest. Then again, the opposite might be closer to the truth.

Any insight to this would be appreciated, even if likely irrelevant in the long run.

XMuskieFTW
10-26-2017, 12:57 PM
I agree with this, however we don't know (at least I don't) what the hierarchy is as to the highest evaluated and highest priority recruits (best fit/most talented/reasonable chance to accept an offer) to not-so-important and then the just-in-case recruits (and throw in the players that we think we can develop).

Maybe the recruits that have passed on Xavier are not that high on Mack and company's list (or generally not so likely to commit/'long shots'). Maybe the ones we end up getting are higher on the list than the 'rating' and the timing might suggest. Then again, the opposite might be closer to the truth.

Any insight to this would be appreciated, even if likely irrelevant in the long run.

Our initial SG targets were Locke, Muhammad, Mathis, and Hunter. We distanced ourselves a bit from Hunter and were never really in the running for Mathis. Once Locke and Muhammad were off the board, we took Kennedy.

At center, Walter is a project and being treated as such. We definitely tried to recruit a higher rated center in McCormack, Harris, and Carter. I fully expect a center to be our #1 target in the grad transfer AND normal transfer market.

The ones who have passed on us were at the top of our list for the most part. We've missed on about 12 top priority targets and not for lack of recruiting effort.

Lamont Sanford
10-26-2017, 01:43 PM
I fully expect a center to be our #1 target in the grad transfer AND normal transfer market.

Totally agreed. Mack and Steele better be hitting the waiver wires come late March/April for a couple grad transfer bigs ala Kanter.

XMuskieFTW
10-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Rumor going around the Illinois board is THT committed, Ayo's camp threw a fit about it, and now Illinois may no longer be an option for THT. We may be back in this thing at the 11th hour.

xavbball
10-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Rumor going around the Illinois board is THT committed, Ayo's camp through a fit about it, and now Illinois may no longer be an option for THT. We may be back in this thing at the 11th hour.
247 CB shifting towards Iowa State now. Illionis is listed as "cool"...