PDA

View Full Version : July Period

casualfan
07-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Luke Murray is currenrtly watching NJ Playaz vs. Albany City Rocks at the Peach Jam.

xu82
07-12-2017, 04:45 PM
I'm ready for some good news.... and I trust our guys to make it happen. Anyone specific at the Peach Jam we are in the hunt for?

casualfan
07-12-2017, 05:11 PM
I *think* Chris started the period watching Noah Locke.

I saw a picture of him sitting by Roy Williams and I'm pretty sure that's the game they are at.

GIMMFD
07-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Due to being extremely bored at work (yay summer jobs!!), I have cross-referenced the teams in the Peach Jam with the targets list from 247 sports, to give you this (only did 2018 recruits):

Pool A:
Team Melo (MD):
Noah Locke - PG - 6'2, 160 lbs - 4 star (76th nationally)

Pool B:
Meanstreets (IL):
Damezi Anderson - SF - 6'6, 175 lbs - 4 star (94th nationally)

Pool C:
Boo Williams (VA):
Keldon Johnson - SG - 6'5, 200 lbs - 5 star (18th nationally)

Pool D:
PSA Cardinals (NYC):
Isaiah Mucius - SF - 6'8, 190 lbs - 4 star (59th nationally)

And that's all I see so far, but anybody that catches a mistake there is free to let me know and I'll edit and update it.

casualfan
07-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans_10 2m2 minutes ago
More
Indiana head coach Archie Miller along with Xavier, Ohio State, Pitt & Michigan are on hand top-50 Ohio Nova forward Jerome Hunter

xu82
07-12-2017, 06:27 PM
Due to being extremely bored at work (yay summer jobs!!), I have cross-referenced the teams in the Peach Jam with the targets list from 247 sports, to give you this (only did 2018 recruits):

Pool A:
Team Melo (MD):
Noah Locke - PG - 6'2, 160 lbs - 4 star (76th nationally)

Pool B:
Meanstreets (IL):
Damezi Anderson - SF - 6'6, 175 lbs - 4 star (94th nationally)

Pool C:
Boo Williams (VA):
Keldon Johnson - SG - 6'5, 200 lbs - 5 star (18th nationally)

Pool D:
PSA Cardinals (NYC):
Isaiah Mucius - SF - 6'8, 190 lbs - 4 star (59th nationally)

And that's all I see so far, but anybody that catches a mistake there is free to let me know and I'll edit and update it.

Sounds good to me! Wrap them up, add a BIG and put a bow on it!

Oh, it's not that easy???

GIMMFD
07-12-2017, 07:42 PM
Sounds good to me! Wrap them up, add a BIG and put a bow on it!

Oh, it's not that easy???

We're also targeting Keldon Johnson's Oak Hill Academy teammate, David McCormack (41st nationally) but I never know anything about recruiting until they sign the LOI

xu82
07-12-2017, 08:37 PM
We're also targeting Keldon Johnson's Oak Hill Academy teammate, David McCormack (41st nationally) but I never know anything about recruiting until they sign the LOI

The list of people we are in the hunt for is amazing. An 0-3 week was disappointing, but I will keep the faith.

paulxu
07-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Haven't figured out what is going on with the Peach Jam. Wonder if Chris Mack is there, or perhaps coming to Spartanburg.
Adidas decided to compete with Nike's Peach Jam, and is hosting 200 teams in town this weekend at 6 venues. Zion Williamson is playing with his team who apparently didn't make the cut for the Peach Jam.

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/20170711/basketball-tournament-raises-spartanburgs-profile

casualfan
07-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Haven't figured out what is going on with the Peach Jam. Wonder if Chris Mack is there, or perhaps coming to Spartanburg.
Adidas decided to compete with Nike's Peach Jam, and is hosting 200 teams in town this weekend at 6 venues. Zion Williamson is playing with his team who apparently didn't make the cut for the Peach Jam.

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/20170711/basketball-tournament-raises-spartanburgs-profile

Williamson doesn't play for a Nike team.

paulxu
07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
Williamson doesn't play for a Nike team.

Well that explains a lot.

xu82
07-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Zion goes to the school where my brother-in-law has kids. He came to their house after prom to (at least partially) find a safe and wholesome place. Some of his buddies joined him. By all accounts, a great young man with a caring family. (Mom called to be sure it was a good place to be.)

muskienick
07-13-2017, 09:20 AM
Zion goes to the school where my brother-in-law has kids. He came to their house after prom to (at least partially) find a safe and wholesome place. Some of his buddies joined him. By all accounts, a great young man with a caring family. (Mom called to be sure it was a good place to be.)

I have found no listing that has Xavier as a serious suitor for Zion Williamson. There are lengthy lists of programs interested in him, but none listed Xavier among them.

casualfan
07-13-2017, 11:54 AM
Coach Mack watching CJ Frederick as we speak.

GIMMFD
07-13-2017, 01:42 PM
I have found no listing that has Xavier as a serious suitor for Zion Williamson. There are lengthy lists of programs interested in him, but none listed Xavier among them.

I think that was more of a story more than anything, I believe we'd be kind of silly to assume Zion would come here, I bet he ends up at UNC. But boy, he sure is fun to watch with how explosive he is.

XU3232
07-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Yea we are definitely not recruiting Zion.

Lamont Sanford
07-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Coach Mack watching CJ Frederick as we speak.

I assumed Fredrick was on the outside looking in when we were working on Swider. Now it appears he is back on the radar.

casualfan
07-14-2017, 08:57 AM
I assumed Fredrick was on the outside looking in when we were working on Swider. Now it appears he is back on the radar.

I should say i assume he was watching Frederick. I know he was at that game and when i checked the rosters CJ's was the only name I recognized.

Robert Phinese is also a high major recruit, but i hadn't seen his name come up before.

Juice
07-14-2017, 09:15 AM

They don't play the same position. We are recruiting other guards ahead of CJ right now.

casualfan
07-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Sounds like it may have been Phinese we were watching:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/adidas-gauntet-finale-who-coaches-were-watching

Sorry for the confusion.

casualfan
07-14-2017, 06:36 PM
Julius Kim‏ @JKimElevate 5m5 minutes ago
More
4🌟 Luther Muhammad tells me that he will take an official visit to #Xavier on 9/15-17. Plans to also visit Ohio State & Syracuse.

casualfan
07-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Jaxson Hayes just got an offer.

mistabeecee41
07-17-2017, 09:26 PM
2 of our targets. Guess we're not getting both!

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/885553362271383552

casualfan
07-18-2017, 07:53 AM
We offered Justin Ahrens and I think we are in a pretty good spot there already.

casualfan
07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Manny Bates and Jermaine Harris are two names we're in on as far as bigs go.

casualfan
07-18-2017, 12:05 PM
I missed this yesterday, but Horton Tucker got a Michigan State offer.

Might explain our sudden offer to Ahrens.

casualfan
07-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Kansas just offered Noah Locke according to Borzello.

mistabeecee41
07-18-2017, 05:06 PM
add Jake Forrester to the list. Maybe it's just the hair, but he reminds of Kaiser with more hops. count me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axuLV89cQjY

casualfan
07-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Sounds like Montez Mathis has narrowed his list to UCONN Rutgers and VT:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/07/27/2018-guard-montez-mathis-focusing-rutgers-uconn/

X Factor
07-27-2017, 01:31 PM
So much for an Elite 8 run giving X momentum on the recruiting trail. Been a rough spring and summer so far...

ammtd34
07-27-2017, 01:54 PM
So much for an Elite 8 run giving X momentum on the recruiting trail. Been a rough spring and summer so far...

I still think we'll be fine.

AviatorX
07-27-2017, 02:07 PM

I think they've had a ton of momentum based on who the staff has been in good with. Just haven't pushed one across the goal line yet. Definitely frustrating though.

MuskieXU
07-27-2017, 02:08 PM

An Elite 8 absolutely gives X momentum and an advantage on the recruiting trail but it was never going to be an immediate boost. For example, Nova has the 4th best class in the BE the year after winning a championship. The kids committing this summer have been recruited for 3 years, if not longer, so what happened this past season is probably largely irrelevant in making their decision. What an E8 does is gets us in the door with kids who are just now starting their recruitment, and potentially allows us to recruit a higher caliber of player moving forward.

Emp
07-28-2017, 12:25 AM
An Elite 8 absolutely gives X momentum and an advantage on the recruiting trail but it was never going to be an immediate boost. For example, Nova has the 4th best class in the BE the year after winning a championship. The kids committing this summer have been recruited for 3 years, if not longer, so what happened this past season is probably largely irrelevant in making their decision. What an E8 does is gets us in the door with kids who are just now starting their recruitment, and potentially allows us to recruit a higher caliber of player moving forward.

Why shouldn't it help land prospects we've offered in the class of 2018, and been working on since before we made the E8? We lost a big Mack had been on forever to......Purdue? If there has been one fly in the recruiting ointment during Mack's tenure, it's the inability land a top shelf center/5. We keep recycling transfers and settling for projects. IMHO Mack does a good job developing the projects. Im waiting for the next Tyrone Hill to sign.(the days when we can steal another David West are over )

AviatorX
07-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Why shouldn't it help land prospects we've offered in the class of 2018, and been working on since before we made the E8? We lost a big Mack had been on forever to......Purdue? If there has been one fly in the recruiting ointment during Mack's tenure, it's the inability land a top shelf center/5. We keep recycling transfers and settling for projects. IMHO Mack does a good job developing the projects. Im waiting for the next Tyrone Hill to sign.(the days when we can steal another David West are over )

No one signs top shelf 5's outside of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc....anyone truly top shelf that is big and somewhat polished is pretty much always a one and done.

MuskieXU
07-28-2017, 09:20 AM

Once kids have narrowed down their list to 5 or 10 schools (which most in the class of 2018 have, publicly or otherwise) the two biggest factors are going to be fit with the program and relationship with a coach. It doesnt make a lot of sense to make a final decision based on one run in the tournament. But If youre a freshman in high school just starting your recruitment, you may have just seen Xavier make a run and be more willing to give Mack and staff the time of day. They can use that in to build a relationship with players who may not have known or cared much about Xavier without the E8 publicity. Will it be the reason they end up committing? No, but its the reason Xavier had a chance in the first place.

As for Centers, Purdue was able to sell that kid on becoming the next Swanigan (or Hammons or Johnson.) Mack has done a fantastic job of developing guards and therefore has an easier time recruiting guards. I think the fact that we're getting next level guards makes it seem like Mack hasnt been recruiting Centers well, but I think he's been doing a fine job. As Aviator said, polished Centers dont really exist beyond 1 and dones.

Juice
07-28-2017, 09:38 AM
Once kids have narrowed down their list to 5 or 10 schools (which most in the class of 2018 have, publicly or otherwise) the two biggest factors are going to be fit with the program and relationship with a coach. It doesnt make a lot of sense to make a final decision based on one run in the tournament. But If youre a freshman in high school just starting your recruitment, you may have just seen Xavier make a run and be more willing to give Mack and staff the time of day. They can use that in to build a relationship with players who may not have known or cared much about Xavier without the E8 publicity. Will it be the reason they end up committing? No, but its the reason Xavier had a chance in the first place.

As for Centers, Purdue was able to sell that kid on becoming the next Swanigan (or Hammons or Johnson.) Mack has done a fantastic job of developing guards and therefore has an easier time recruiting guards. I think the fact that we're getting next level guards makes it seem like Mack hasnt been recruiting Centers well, but I think he's been doing a fine job. As Aviator said, polished Centers dont really exist beyond 1 and dones.

Plus this class sucks for big men

MuskieXU
07-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Plus this class sucks for big men

Yeah Williams was ranked 142 in his class and was the 6th best Center. The kid ranked 141 is the 25th best PG.

X Factor
07-28-2017, 11:30 AM
No one signs top shelf 5's outside of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc....anyone truly top shelf that is big and somewhat polished is pretty much always a one and done.

But Mack hasn't really been able to land a solid Top 100 C/PF either. Angel Delgado was a just inside the Top 50 and Seton Hall got him over the likes of UK, Florida, Virginia, Louisville, etc.

I think Jalen Reynolds was just inside the Top 100.

The last highly rated big man X landed was Kenny Frease in '08, and he had a very solid career at X.

Creighton has the 6th rated Center in the Class of '17. Western Kentucy has the #1 rated Center in '17, 5 star. How, I have no idea.

Providence has the 9th and 11th rated centers in 2017 class. St. Bonaventure has the 4th rated center and Top 50 player!

ammtd34
07-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Western Kentucy has the #1 rated Center in '17, 5 star. How, I have no idea.

I have an idea.

casualfan
07-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Western Kentucy has the #1 rated Center in '17, 5 star. How, I have no idea.

No they dont...

https://twitter.com/SBNationCBB/status/890980890058383360

XUMIOH12
07-28-2017, 12:18 PM
No they dont...

https://twitter.com/SBNationCBB/status/890980890058383360

wow thats huge news. I thought it would be cool to see him play at WKU. They still have some pretty good incoming players though.

94GRAD
07-28-2017, 01:00 PM
I have an idea.

I wonder if he has a $35 bounced check fee?

Smails
07-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Tyrique Jones was rated in ESPN's top 100 and had offers from FSU, UCONN, UC and Providence among others...not exactly UK and KU, but he was (and is proving to be) a very solid PF recruit.

Kaiser Gates was listed as a PF and was a 4 star recruit with offers from Florida State and Vandy among others.

Makinde London was top 100 in a few lists as well

We have definitely excelled in PG/SG/SF recruiting, but I don't think our PF recruiting has been all that bad.

Emp
07-28-2017, 10:59 PM
Williams was a solid choice. Kid was honor role, knows he needs to develop. I don't think we need a one and done recruit at center. A guy with Stainbrooks basketball sense in a body in a body remotely like Jalens would do. Tyrique may grow and be that guy, I hope so. But we're getting beat as we play up tourney ladders by teams with better centers. I think we're had great guards and forwards, and Mack has used what he's got in the post.

But losing a guy we've been on to Purdue, I hope that changes. MuskieXU is right about why we lost him to Purdue, they're sending centers to the pros. We're not. The kid and his coach were quoted. So we had him, then were outsold on that premise. Not good. Chicken, egg you say? Maybe.

If we can beat Zona on that matchup, we're good enough on any given day. But you have to have four really good days in a row to Final Four. ( it's now an accepted verb in college basketball jargon. ). We'd have a much better team to do that in MSG and the NCAA with some solid centers. And we need to be able to beat the likes of Purdue to get the good centers.

GIMMFD
07-29-2017, 01:21 PM
A guy with Stainbtook's basketball IQ, and Jalen's body would have to be a 5 star prospect. Sounds like an absolute freak of nature.

AviatorX
07-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm alone on this but is it crazy for Xavier to lose a recruit to Purdue? Don't see that as some huge failure.

xu82
07-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Maybe I'm alone on this but is it crazy for Xavier to lose a recruit to Purdue? Don't see that as some huge failure.

Disappointing? Yes. Huge failure? Hell No. We will continue being Xavier Basketball. I'm good with that, and good luck at Purdue.

Juice
07-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Disappointing? Yes. Huge failure? Hell No. We will continue being Xavier Basketball. I'm good with that, and good luck at Purdue.

Exactly. Our Elite 8 last season was great but Purdue had a damn fine season as a #4 seed and a Sweet 16. Swanigan was a first round pick as well.

casualfan
07-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Noah Locke is releasing a top 8 wednesday.

Snow is saying we lead for Dosunmu, but I keep hearing Illinois will be tough to beat.

GIMMFD
07-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Noah Locke is releasing a top 8 wednesday.

Snow is saying we lead for Dosunmu, but I keep hearing Illinois will be tough to beat.

I guess the coaching change at Illinois didn't affect him much, hell Underwood might be more enticing, hopefully we can get him though. He looks like he has all the potential to be a stud.

casualfan
08-04-2017, 01:53 PM
We just offered Jake Walter.

I wonder if that is related to Kent's outlook as they are very similar players.

94GRAD
08-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Son of Joe Walter

flatspat
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Son of Joe Walter

Is that Joe Walter former Bengal?

94GRAD
08-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Is that Joe Walter former Bengal?

Yup

bobbiemcgee
08-04-2017, 06:50 PM
We have 21 open offers.

Juice
08-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Regardless of Big Kent's situation, we would only have him and Tyrique on the roster as centers.

xu82
08-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Regardless of Big Kent's situation, we would only have him and Tyrique on the roster as centers.

Sorry, not sure if I follow. Do you think we could have two of the (sorry for lack of a better term) "big lumbering centers"? Another Tyrique type would seem preferable if we could find one in a shallow class, but I'm far from an expert in this stuff.

Juice
08-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Sorry, not sure if I follow. Do you think we could have two of the (sorry for lack of a better term) "big lumbering centers"? Another Tyrique type would seem preferable if we could find one in a shallow class, but I'm far from an expert in this stuff.

For one, I think the staff is preparing for the worst with Big Kent. Two, I think they're trying to bring in any big man at this point. The class is low on quality big men, X has a need, and our priority guy committed to Purdue. I think they're extended offers to any big man they like who could play for us and not necessarily the skill set/body type.

A lot of this is me making assumptions but that's how I see it.

xu82
08-04-2017, 08:17 PM
For one, I think the staff is preparing for the worst with Big Kent. Two, I think they're trying to bring in any big man at this point. The class is low on quality big men, X has a need, and our priority guy committed to Purdue. I think they're extended offers to any big man they like who could play for us and not necessarily the skill set/body type.

A lot of this is me making assumptions but that's how I see it.

I think that makes sense, but we have a few other more athletic options from what I read. Agreed, you need to be prepared for the worst case. I hear he's got a lot of upside despite less than outstanding production to date, so...... All these names run together after a while. I'd be a lousy recruiter!

Juice
08-04-2017, 08:47 PM
I think that makes sense, but we have a few other more athletic options from what I read. Agreed, you need to be prepared for the worst case. I hear he's got a lot of upside despite less than outstanding production to date, so...... All these names run together after a while. I'd be a lousy recruiter!

Oh I know nothing about Walter. I "know" (and I use that term loosely) way more about the guards and forwards we are recruiting compared to the big men.

Juice
08-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout 24m24 minutes ago
More
Colin Castleton (@Castleton_ ) will visit Illinois September 1-3 and Xavier September 15-17

X Factor
08-05-2017, 05:03 AM
When will X get their first commit for 2018? Seems like we always have one or two by this time of the year.

slysyl
08-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Won't WALTER be a soph. at cov cath this year.

Frambo
08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Won't WALTER be a soph. at cov cath this year.

should be a senior this year.....2018 grad, but is supposedly a young senior

mistabeecee41
08-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Not that he seemed to be our top priority, but CJ Frederick is off the b lard - going to Iowa.

Juice
08-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Brian Snow‏ @BSnowScout

July stock riser Aaron Henry announces his top five of Butler, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Xavier http://www.scout.com/Player/Aaron-Henry-94629 …

bobbiemcgee
08-06-2017, 08:29 PM
When will X get their first commit for 2018? Seems like we always have one or two by this time of the year.

Well, if they're looking to play right away, and they ain't a 5 star, they may be looking elsewhere, since we're pretty much loaded.

xu82
08-06-2017, 08:45 PM
Well, if they're looking to play right away, and they ain't a 5 star, they may be looking elsewhere, since we're pretty much loaded.

It's a little late to be waiting for our first commit, and this should be a pretty large class for '18. Great class for this year, but we need to follow that up to stay strong. As always, I trust the staff, but a good big looks hard to get. They'll make it work, but I wish we had a couple top guys already.

Juice
08-06-2017, 09:49 PM
https://twitter.com/iamImmanuel12/status/894345238302662657

mistabeecee41
08-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Darius Days - PF, 4 stars

https://twitter.com/Almighty_Doubl3/status/894968149602435076

Saddiq Bey - SF, 4 Stars

https://twitter.com/PackInsider/status/896852247627403264

paulxu
08-15-2017, 04:49 PM
"Final" 11 ?
WTF?

BandAid
08-15-2017, 09:13 PM
"Final" 11 ?
WTF?

I always wanted to be in top 11 of something.

Shaddiq Bey has Princeton and Northwestern in his top 6. Dude must have brains

Lamont Sanford
08-16-2017, 09:22 AM

He clearly doesn't if he ultimately chooses Princeton or NW for his college hoops choice. I know it's not always about the hoops when decisions are made, but put X's NCAA resume up against either and it's a no-brainer.

GoMuskies
08-16-2017, 09:29 AM
He clearly doesn't if he ultimately chooses Princeton or NW for his college hoops choice. I know it's not always about the hoops when decisions are made, but put X's NCAA resume up against either and it's a no-brainer.

Ummm, gonna have a hard time criticizing a kid for picking Princeton over Xavier.

94GRAD
08-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Ummm, gonna have a hard time criticizing a kid for picking Princeton over Xavier.

But Xavier is the Harvard of the Midwest!!!

UCGRAD4X
08-20-2017, 09:12 AM
But Xavier is the Harvard of the Midwest!!!

Certainly the Harvard of Southwestern Ohio.

xu82
08-20-2017, 10:41 AM
Certainly the Harvard of Southwestern Ohio.

Or at least the Harvard of our little part of Norwood....

X-man
08-20-2017, 10:44 AM
I always wanted to be in top 11 of something.

Bey is predicted by 247Sports to pick Xavier at this time. Here is the link: http://247sports.com/Player/Saddiq-Bey-46041574.

xudash
08-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Bey is predicted by 247Sports to pick Xavier at this time. Here is the link: http://247sports.com/Player/Saddiq-Bey-46041574.

Holy crap! My wife attended Sidwell Friends.

We've arrived academically if we can pull talent in from there. If Nova can do it, why not X!

X-man
08-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Holy crap! My wife attended Sidwell Friends.

We've arrived academically if we can pull talent in from there. If Nova can do it, why not X!

Yeah. I lived in DC for 10 years back in the 70's, and remember that Sidwell Friends is a great school. Not a surprise that Princeton and Northwestern are on his list.

flatspat
08-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Obama's oldest daughter went to Sidwell Friends fwiw

GoMuskies
09-11-2017, 05:39 PM
add Jake Forrester to the list. Maybe it's just the hair, but he reminds of Kaiser with more hops. count me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axuLV89cQjY

Indiana