PDA

View Full Version : John Thompson III

JTG
03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Just heard on Indy radio JTIII, not coming back at Georgetown. Wobder who they get?

muskiefan82
03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Thank goodness. Although, I was enjoying the wins home and away

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 12:08 PM
Awesome news for the Big East

muskiefan82
03-23-2017, 12:12 PM
If true, this will be an intriguing search for a coach. You have high name recognition, excellent conference, outstanding history, decent talent, but poor recent results. Who will they get? Up and comer? Can they get a name for this job? I am glad Kelsey is not available anymore. I would not have liked him there.

xufan2434
03-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Tom Crean

Caf
03-23-2017, 12:29 PM
I'm pulling for Patrick Ewing.

muskiefan82
03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Tom Crean

Beating the F$%^ out of Crean every year would be enjoyable.

xavierj
03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Gregg Marshall? Would sort of be going back home and Gtown can pay a boat load of money.

BMoreX
03-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Looks official.

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN 5m5 minutes ago
More
Georgetown has parted ways with John Thompson III, sources told ESPN. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636618765911465207-4 …

Please give me Crean.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 12:48 PM
Gregg Marshall? Would sort of be going back home and Gtown can pay a boat load of money.

Not really the fit I would expect for Marshall/Georgetown. And I don't think Georgetown actually has that kind of money to throw around.

Get Real
03-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Well, if NBC says its true, it must be.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/23/georgetown-john-thompson-iii-part-ways/

Xaveriana
03-23-2017, 12:55 PM
Start the Mack to Georgetown rumors. :smile:

Muskie
03-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Not really the fit I would expect for Marshall/Georgetown. And I don't think Georgetown actually has that kind of money to throw around.

Georgetown has plenty of money in their coffers. It all depends on if they choose to spend any of it on Basketball.

THRILLHOUSE
03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
I've seen Tommy Amaker's name floated around as one of the front runners for the job.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Certainly there is plenty of money at Georgetown as a whole. You're correct in that I meant I do not believe Georgetown has silly money laying around to throw at athletics.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 01:01 PM
I've seen Tommy Amaker's name floated around as one of the front runners for the job.

Re-hire JT III!

muskiefan82
03-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Who is the coach at BYU? They could make Georgetown fun to watch!!

ArizonaXUGrad
03-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Georgetown has plenty of money in their coffers. It all depends on if they choose to spend any of it on Basketball.

What else would they spend it on? If they go local or in the family, I could see a former player or a guy like Amaker at Harvard. An up and comer, that gets a bit dicey since several of those have moved on. Underwood already signed at Illinois, Kelsey to UMass, but they could lure Miller from Dayton. That would be a no-brainer for east coast ties.

Muskie
03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
What else would they spend it on? If they go local or in the family, I could see a former player or a guy like Amaker at Harvard. An up and comer, that gets a bit dicey since several of those have moved on. Underwood already signed at Illinois, Kelsey to UMass, but they could lure Miller from Dayton. That would be a no-brainer for east coast ties. I wonder if they would pay for Crean? He has a history of success in the Big East.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Who is the coach at BYU? They could make Georgetown fun to watch!!

Dave Rose has done a fantastic job at BYU.

GIMMFD
03-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Where you guys said Amaker, you think they go after someone from a different coaching tree, like Duke? If so does anybody else get a look, such as Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins, or someone else as well?

BandAid
03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
What else would they spend it on? If they go local or in the family, I could see a former player or a guy like Amaker at Harvard. An up and comer, that gets a bit dicey since several of those have moved on. Underwood already signed at Illinois, Kelsey to UMass, but they could lure Miller from Dayton. That would be a no-brainer for east coast ties.

That'd be a good hire. Amaker is a bit "meh".

D-West & PO-Z
03-23-2017, 01:57 PM
All I know is they should really be able to nail this hire I would think. Georgetown is a historically good basketball program in a very good conference. I would think there would be a lot of interest from a lot of very qualified candidates.

I hope they dont F it up.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 01:58 PM
I hope they dont F it up.

Hiring Amaker or Dawkins would be fucking it up.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 02:02 PM
They're going to go for an east coast guy that can recruit in that area. I really don't think you need a big name.....GT kind of sells itself in a way. You just a really solid x's and o's coach.

GoMuskies
03-23-2017, 02:03 PM
They're going to go for an east coast guy that can recruit in that area. I really don't think you need a big name.....GT kind of sells itself in a way. You just a really solid x's and o's coach.

King Rice?

D-West & PO-Z
03-23-2017, 02:06 PM
Hiring Amaker or Dawkins would be fucking it up.

Yeah I believe so.

Why go with a retread who has shown they fail in a big conference? I dont understand that. I mean when SLU did that with Travis Ford I was mad but I get it SLU doesnt get to pick the best of the best but Georgetown should either be able to find a really promising up and comer or a guy who is at a big school or conference who has been successful.

D-West & PO-Z
03-23-2017, 02:07 PM

Yeah they dont need a big name they need someone who has been successful as a head coach already. Amaker and Dawkins dont fit the bill.

xufan2434
03-23-2017, 02:08 PM
I would go hard after Archie if I were them. They need someone young to bring some energy back into that program. I do think Crean would honestly do well there, I just feel like he brings baggage. They might have enough history to lure Archie. The DC area is loaded with talent, they're getting brand new facilities, and you're in the Big East.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 02:28 PM
I would go hard after Archie if I were them. They need someone young to bring some energy back into that program. I do think Crean would honestly do well there, I just feel like he brings baggage. They might have enough history to lure Archie. The DC area is loaded with talent, they're getting brand new facilities, and you're in the Big East.

thinking Archie too

paulxu
03-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Heads would explode in Dayton as he supposedly would only leave for Duke, UNC, OSU or IU.

stammina0721
03-23-2017, 04:26 PM
I would say the leading candidate is Dan Huerly from Rhode Island. Up and comer with recent success and lots of east coast recruiting ties. This makes sense

xubrew
03-23-2017, 04:57 PM
King Rice?

Maybe.

Georgetown is hard to predict. Well, at least for me. A few things that I've noticed that may or may not matter....

-They didn't do it right away.

-The President tweeted something out expressing her disappointment (I guess you would call it) in the move, and praising the job he had done. Not normal.

-Reed (their AD) is an ambitious fundraiser. This makes me wonder if the big donors had someone in mind.

I also don't know if they intend to use a search firm. Generally speaking, that's who gages the interest. It's almost like speed dating. They survey AD's, schools, and coaches and then come up with a list of candidates via the mutual interest, and things tend to happen incredibly quickly. It also makes it easy to guess, or at least very much narrow it down, who the likely candidates would be a lot of the times. I don't know if Georgetown uses one, though. They may take their time with it.

MHettel
03-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Mark few

chico
03-23-2017, 05:27 PM
ESPN is pushing Patrick Ewing. Take it for what it's worth considering the source.

xufan02
03-23-2017, 05:56 PM
I would think Jeff Capel. Coached at VCU and has recruiting ties to the area. Unless Duke is going to give him the keys soon this could be a good fit for him.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 06:08 PM
I would think Jeff Capel. Coached at VCU and has recruiting ties to the area. Unless Duke is going to give him the keys soon this could be a good fit for him.

Didn't he already try the HC thing and wasn't all that successful?

I don't see it.....

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Heads would explode in Dayton as he supposedly would only leave for Duke, UNC, OSU or IU.

Give me a break.......there are 20 other jobs much better than UD he could and should take. GT being one of them for sure. Plus he's an east coast guy being from PA.

BandAid
03-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Didn't he already try the HC thing and wasn't all that successful?

I don't see it.....

He was pretty successful. Worked his way up to coaching at IU. Then got into trouble for calling recruits at no-no times. That's how X got Holloway and Crawford :biggrin:

Muskie
03-23-2017, 06:54 PM
He was pretty successful. Worked his way up to coaching at IU. Then got into trouble for calling recruits at no-no times. That's how X got Holloway and Crawford :biggrin:

You have Jeff Capel and Kelvin Sampson confused. They are nowhere near the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xubrew
03-23-2017, 07:02 PM
ESPN is pushing Patrick Ewing. Take it for what it's worth considering the source.

I wouldn't think so because I just get the sense that they don't want anyone with any ties to John Thompson or anyone he's related to. But, my senses aren't always right.

Masterofreality
03-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Ok, so how's this for connecting disconnected dots.

Word gets around that Archie is getting the Georgetown job....word filters over to Kels that the UDump job will be opening up. Kels gets a chance to move back to his home area. UMess gets stiffed in a no show presser and has to go back to the till.

Kels gets announced as the Cryers new coach. Works for everyone.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 07:58 PM
I can't imagine Kelsey would tell Winthrop he's coming back and then leave again in 10 days to take the UD job.......

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 08:30 PM
I can't imagine Kelsey would tell Winthrop he's coming back and then leave again in 10 days to take the UD job.......

Exactly. At this point, Kels will be coaching in Rock Hill next year or not coaching. And I believe it will be the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xuperman
03-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Most certainly a Hurley will be at the top of the list. My long shot is Shaka Smart.....

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 09:08 PM
Most certainly a Hurley will be at the top of the list. My long shot is Shaka Smart.....

Bobby taking the ASU job was stupid. He could have stayed at Buffalo and had his pick of just about any east coast prime job.

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Bobby taking the ASU job was stupid. He could have stayed at Buffalo and had his pick of just about any east coast prime job.

No guarantee of sustained success at a school like Buffalo. Very difficult to recruit there. Because it's in Buffalo. Gotta take the opportunities when they present themselves.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 10:11 PM
No guarantee of sustained success at a school like Buffalo. Very difficult to recruit there. Because it's in Buffalo. Gotta take the opportunities when they present themselves.

Its the MAC. If you cant with there, you cant win anywhere if you're a good coach.

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Its the MAC. If you cant with there, you cant win anywhere if you're a good coach.

Have you been to Buffalo?

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Have you been to Buffalo?

Syracuse, Kansas, Wichita State, Lansing (MI)......I could go on and on........

The entire MAC conference is located in shitty small town markets.

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 10:26 PM
Good analogy. Every one of those schools has an actual basketball tradition.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Good analogy. Every one of those schools has an actual basketball tradition.

and they all had to start that tradition in a shitty market location

Way to dodge the entire MAC being in horrible locales

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 10:43 PM
I'm not a MAC cheerleader. I'm just saying that when you are the coach at Buffalo you take the best good job you're offered before you get stuck in Buffalo.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 10:49 PM
I'm not a MAC cheerleader. I'm just saying that when you are the coach at Buffalo you take the best good job you're offered before you get stuck in Buffalo.

I get it, but you don't leave one shitty job for another shitty job purely for money. There are a laundry list of guys who've done that and are now out of coaching. Bobby Hurley could have done better than ASU.....

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 10:58 PM
I get it, but you don't leave one shitty job for another shitty job purely for money. There are a laundry list of guys who've done that and are now out of coaching. Bobby Hurley could have done better than ASU.....
I see what you're saying. But I don't think ASU is all that bad a job. It's a growth opportunity. And if he's successful, he can parlay it into a job he could never have gotten out of Buffalo.

bleedXblue
03-23-2017, 11:04 PM
I see what you're saying. But I don't think ASU is all that bad a job. It's a growth opportunity. And if he's successful, he can parlay it into a job he could never have gotten out of Buffalo.

Not disagreeing but winning THERE is going to be tough. Really tough. The margin of error is slim. His first two years have not been good, he's going to have to show some improvement soon or he will be out.

LA Muskie
03-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Not disagreeing but winning THERE is going to be tough. Really tough. The margin of error is slim. His first two years have not been good, he's going to have to show some improvement soon or he will be out.
That's the thing. It buys him some time AND he makes better money. It's almost impossible for him to end up in a worse position than sticking it out at Buffalo, whether he flames out or not.

Muskie
03-24-2017, 08:53 AM
JTIII was the sixth highest paid coach in Basketball last season. Let that sink in.

Link (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2017/03/23/the-hoyas-werent-always-bad-under-john-thompson-iii-but-then-they-were-terrible/?utm_term=.2ecd3825c433)

Ohionite_X
03-29-2017, 10:50 AM
Gary Parrish saying that Shaka Smart and Mike Brey have shot down interest from Georgetown. Really hope they don't end up with Amaker or Dawkins.. This hire needs to go well for the BE's sake.

nuts4xu
03-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Gary Parrish saying that Shaka Smart and Mike Brey have shot down interest from Georgetown. Really hope they don't end up with Amaker or Dawkins.. This hire needs to go well for the BE's sake.

Ate these the favorites to land the Gtown job?

Muskie
03-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Amaker, Ewing, Randy Bennett. Those appear to be the coaches being panned on Georgetown Boards.

Ohionite_X
03-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Amaker and Dawkins have already failed at major schools, would not be a good look for Gtown. Bennett would be interesting but could he still recruit Australian players with that move?

The problem with Ewing is that if he fails then the school will have even more of a dilemma on their hands than the JT3 situation.

Muskie
03-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Amaker and Dawkins have already failed at major schools, would not be a good look for Gtown. Bennett would be interesting but could he still recruit Australian players with that move?

The problem with Ewing is that if he fails then the school will have even more of a dilemma on their hands than the JT3 situation. Which is a reason not to do it. I also wonder if Ewing would come in right after JTIII? He and JT Jr. are still pretty close.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 01:22 PM
I'm a little surprised at some of the names they are chasing. They seem to fall into two categories:

1. Totally unrealistic: Brey and Smart.

Why they think they could lure either one of those two guys is totally beyond me. Especially with Brey and his history with Wooten/JTJ

2. Totally underwhelming: Everyone else.

I mean Tommy Amaker? Johnny Dawkins? Really?

I just don't understand the majority of the guys being thrown around for that job. Where are the established, successful guys that are ready for a jump into the primetime? I mean I guess Randy Bennett fits that description, but he is a west coast guy through and through.

Why are they not going after Danny Hurley? Hell, why not make a run at a guy like Buzz Williams. He's been willing to listen to people and I'm sure the added benefit of getting to play Marquette twice a year would be appealing.

Am I the only one looking at the list of guys they're considering scratching my head?

With the money they were paying JT3 they should be able to make a really really good hire.

Muskie
03-29-2017, 01:25 PM
I'm a little surprised at some of the names they are chasing. They seem to fall into two categories:

1. Totally unrealistic: Brey and Smart.

Why they think they could lure either one of those two guys is totally beyond me.

2. Totally underwhelming: Everyone else.

I mean Tommy Amaker? Johnny Dawkins? Really?

I just don't understand the majority of the guys being thrown around for that job. Where are the established, successful guys that are ready for a jump into the primetime? I mean I guess Randy Bennett fits that description, but he is a west coast guy through and through.

Why are they not going after Danny Hurley? Hell, why not make a run at a guy like Buzz Williams. He's been willing to listen to people and I'm sure the added benefit of getting to play Marquette twice a year would be appealing.

Am I the only one looking at the list of guys they're considering scratching my head? If you believe the Hoya Messageboard both Brey and Shaka have said no. I am surprised that a job like Indiana can attract one set of coaches (obviously the Big 10 counts for something in this) and Georgetown (which is also a storied program) has an entirely different outlook. Brian Snow tweeted out that Georgetown could be the best job in the Big East with the right hire (paraphrasing a bit). He's not wrong. GTown is a sleeping Giant in this League.

Ohionite_X
03-29-2017, 01:35 PM
They waited too long to fire JT3. Guys like Archie and Keatts got picked up before they even had a chance.

They should make a run at Bryce Drew. I know he's only been at Vandy for a year but Georgetown is a better job in a more fertile recruiting ground with similar academic restrictions.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 01:35 PM
If you believe the Hoya Messageboard both Brey and Shaka have said no. I am surprised that a job like Indiana can attract one set of coaches (obviously the Big 10 counts for something in this) and Georgetown (which is also a storied program) has an entirely different outlook. Brian Snow tweeted out that Georgetown could be the best job in the Big East with the right hire (paraphrasing a bit). He's not wrong. GTown is a sleeping Giant in this League.

I mean Indiana is a top 10 job.

Georgetown is a top 25 job.

I know that seems like a small distinction, but it's an important one.

The other thing I would say in response to that is that it is hard to tell how different those two groups are at this point.

The only home run candidates they pursued are Shaka and Brey. I don't think Indiana could hire either one of those.

And if Archie was still at Dayton I think Georgetown would have a really good chance to hire him.

Which is why the gap in their candidates is so confusing.

Just taking a cursory glance at the USA Today salary database here are some guys currently earning significantly less than JT3 that I think are better than anyone on their current list:

Dan Hurley
Kermit Davis
Tim Cluess
Mick Cronin
Jim Larranaga
Chris Collins
Richard Pitino

That's 7 guys right there that to me are infinitely better coaches than Tommy Amaker or Johnny Dawkins.

I mean they are talking about the guy from freaking Mt. Saint Mary's being a serious contender. Maybe he is a really good coach, but that is a HUGE step up in weight class if they go that route.

GoMuskies
03-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Tim Cluess would be awesome. 'brew would spontaneously combust!

Muskie
03-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I mean Indiana is a top 10 job.

Georgetown is a top 25 job.

I know that seems like a small distinction, but it's an important one.

The other thing I would say in response to that is that it is hard to tell how different those two groups are at this point.

The only home run candidates they pursued are Shaka and Brey. I don't think Indiana could hire either one of those.

And if Archie was still at Dayton I think Georgetown would have a really good chance to hire him.

Which is why the gap in their candidates is so confusing.

Just taking a cursory glance at the USA Today salary database here are some guys currently earning significantly less than JT3 that I think are better than anyone on their current list:

Dan Hurley
Kermit Davis
Tim Cluess
Mick Cronin
Jim Larranaga
Chris Collins
Richard Pitino

That's 7 guys right there that to me are infinitely better coaches than Tommy Amaker or Johnny Dawkins.

I mean they are talking about the guy from freaking Mt. Saint Mary's being a serious contender. Maybe he is a really good coach, but that is a HUGE step up in weight class if they go that route.

Cronin and Hurley have been mentioned from what I see, but none gained traction.

GoMuskies
03-29-2017, 01:49 PM
I GOT it. Tim Miles. Boom.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Cronin and Hurley have been mentioned from what I see, but none gained traction.

The other guy that I think would make a lot of sense is Tom Crean.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 01:51 PM
I GOT it. Tim Miles. Boom.

I'm sure Isaac Copeland would love that.

bleedXblue
03-29-2017, 02:04 PM
No one wants JT II looking over their shoulder. Hell, I still think he has an office in the building.......

Time for GT to say thanks to the Thompsons and move on.

Is there another program in the country that has held onto a coach and allowed him to be so involved in the program?

Muskie
03-29-2017, 02:10 PM
No one wants JT II looking over their shoulder. Hell, I still think he has an office in the building.......

Time for GT to say thanks to the Thompsons and move on.

Is there another program in the country that has held onto a coach and allowed him to be so involved in the program? He does indeed have an office in the building. It's a stone's throw away from the Coach's office. Now I don't know if that was because the Coach was his son or not.

drudy23
03-29-2017, 02:39 PM
He does indeed have an office in the building. It's a stone's throw away from the Coach's office. Now I don't know if that was because the Coach was his son or not.

I think they still pay him some type of salary too.

muskiefan82
03-29-2017, 03:26 PM
Does it make sense to can JTIII without a replacement you know will come already in your pocket? Or were things so bad that they just didn't care who they ended up with? Georgetown is still a name. They really can't afford to muck this up again.

drudy23
03-29-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't know that they mucked up with hiring JT3...people loved it at the time. They just dragged it out too long.

xubrew
03-29-2017, 03:41 PM
To be fair Tommy Amaker was rather successful when he was at Seton Hall. I don't think he'd be a bad choice.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 03:54 PM
To be fair Tommy Amaker was rather successful when he was at Seton Hall. I don't think he'd be a bad choice.

He was 68-55 and made the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

You and I have a different definition of 'rather successful'.

Tack onto that his time at Michigan where he coached 6 seasons without a tournament trip and you have a guy who has 1 tournament appearance in the 10 years he's spent at the high major level.

GoMuskies
03-29-2017, 03:56 PM
In other words, he sucks.

casualfan
03-29-2017, 03:58 PM
In other words, he sucks.

I don't know if I'd go that far. He's done pretty well at Harvard where he can simply outrecruit the rest of the league.

I'd say he's probably somewhere on the spectrum between 'sucks' and 'should be considered by Georgetown'.

GoMuskies
03-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far.

I would. And I did!

casualfan
03-29-2017, 04:01 PM
I would. And I did!

Ha! For the record I have him closer to 'sucks' than 'should be considered by Georgetown' on that spectrum.

xubrew
03-29-2017, 04:16 PM
He was 68-55 and made the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

You and I have a different definition of 'rather successful'.

Tack onto that his time at Michigan where he coached 6 seasons without a tournament trip and you have a guy who has 1 tournament appearance in the 10 years he's spent at the high major level.

Let's not pretend that Seton Hall didn't suck when he got there. They were also 9-18 the year before he got there without any real prospects of being any good. If you go to a place who had missed the NIT for I don't know how many straight years, and that was coming off back to back losing seasons with just nine wins the previous year, and take them to a Sweet Sixteen in four years, then I'd call that pretty good. Nine wins is what DePaul had this year. Lateo gets them to a Sweet Sixteen within four years, everyone would be saying that he was 'rather successful' don't ya think?? There was a reason Michigan wanted him. He didn't do well at Michigan, but he also seemed to deal with an inordinate number of injuries.

GoMuskies
03-29-2017, 04:20 PM
There was a reason Michigan wanted him.

I had no idea why at the time and still don't. Turned out about as expected for Michigan. He recruited pretty well at SH, but he underachieved in a BIG, BIG way with all that talent at SH.

His final team at Seton Hall was in the preseason top 10, and they finished the year in the NIT. And Michigan STILL hired him. Still scratching my head 15+ years later.

xubrew
03-29-2017, 04:30 PM
I had no idea why at the time and still don't. Turned out about as expected for Michigan. He recruited pretty well at SH, but he underachieved in a BIG, BIG way with all that talent at SH.

His final team at Seton Hall was in the preseason top 10, and they finished the year in the NIT. And Michigan STILL hired him. Still scratching my head 15+ years later.

I believe Michigan was still cleaning all the shit off of themselves at the time and wanted someone who gave every indication of running a clean program. I also don't remember who else was available at the time, but my impression is that it had to do with his image of being clean as much as anything else.

GIMMFD
04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Bleacher Report and Casual Hoya both stated on Twitter that Georgetown officially announces Patrick Ewing as head coach, will be interesting to see.

GoMuskies
04-03-2017, 01:37 PM
If Villanova brings Ed Pinckney back as their coach, is it 1985 all over again?

Ohionite_X
04-03-2017, 01:38 PM
He better put together a killer staff and Georgetown officials better pray that this works out.

Ohionite_X
04-03-2017, 01:40 PM
Mullin v Ewing could be a lot of fun too if they can bring their programs back to relevancy.

GIMMFD
04-03-2017, 01:41 PM
He better put together a killer staff and Georgetown officials better pray that this works out.

Brings in Allen Iverson... Over/Under Iverson attending more than 10 practices through the season...

LA Muskie
04-03-2017, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry, but this reeks of desperation. If there was any doubt about how far GTown has fallen, this should put them to rest. Sad.

GoMuskies
04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Ewing has been in coaching for like 15 years, right? This seems like it could work out okay. He sure has more in the way of coaching chops than the Isaiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullins of the world before being handed a big job.

LA Muskie
04-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Ewing has been in coaching for like 15 years, right? This seems like it could work out okay. He sure has more in the way of coaching chops than the Isaiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullins of the world before being handed a big job.

He has more coaching experience than them. That is true. He's also been coaching since 2003 (14 years) and from what I can tell hasn't so much as sniffed a head coaching interview.

If Ewing wasn't an alum, he never would have been considered for the job. Frankly, I don't think he would have been considered for the job if JT hadn't put his weight behind him.

In other words, nothing has changed at GTown.

Ohionite_X
04-03-2017, 01:57 PM
I might be in the minority here but I think Chris Mullins is doing a good job at St John's. He was handed a roster of garbage and was hired too late to add any kind of talent to his first roster. Next year is obviously a big year but he has them trending up.

A strong St John's and Georgetown is great for the BE and if they're being led by former legends then that's all the better.

MD Muskie
04-03-2017, 01:58 PM
He has more coaching experience than them. That is true. He's also been coaching since 2003 (14 years) and from what I can tell hasn't so much as sniffed a head coaching interview.

If Ewing wasn't an alum, he never would have been considered for the job. Frankly, I don't think he would have been considered for the job if JT hadn't put his weight behind him.

Gtown kept the JT2 status quo. Which is not what the Big East wanted nor what GTown needed. I just don't see how this works out at all.

GoMuskies
04-03-2017, 01:58 PM
I've heard a number of times recently that Ewing has been/is very close to landing an NBA head coaching position. Maybe that's just commentators being nice, but if Ewing was actually about to land an NBA head coaching gig, he probably knows what he's doing. Which, again, is better than a number of these player turned coaches.

Caf
04-03-2017, 02:00 PM

I'm not sold on Ewing being a good hire, but is this uncommon? Mack coached 14 years in the NCAA before getting gig.

I agree that the lack of significant change from the Thompson dynasty is not a good sign.

LA Muskie
04-03-2017, 02:07 PM
I've heard a number of times recently that Ewing has been/is very close to landing an NBA head coaching position. Maybe that's just commentators being nice, but if Ewing was actually about to land an NBA head coaching gig, he probably knows what he's doing. Which, again, is better than a number of these player turned coaches.

I think this is just commentators being nice. According to this USA Today article from 2 years ago (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hornets/2015/03/07/patrick-ewing-head-coach-charlotte-knicks-legend-steve-clifford/24428843/), Ewing had received only two HC interviews up to that point.

And here's a WaPo article from last spring (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/04/patrick-ewing-may-never-become-an-nba-head-coach-why/?utm_term=.64e8cbd38df4), surmising that he may never get a HC job. BUt who's his biggest fan/proponent? Based on the article, you'd have to guess JT.

THRILLHOUSE
04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Typically, Hall of Fame players end up being terrible coaches for whatever reason. Maybe because the game was so easy for them, it's harder for them to relate to or understand when a lesser talented player is struggling? Only HOF player I can think of that was a good coach was Larry Bird during his brief Pacers HC stint.

I have no idea how this Ewing hire will work out. He does have some coaching experience which is good. But of course its NBA experience, so a bit different than College. He'll have to put together a good staff. I guess we shall see. Big John definitely still has a ton of influence even after they canned his son.

drudy23
04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Most of the time, these things don't work out well. I expect the same for Georgetown...Patrick Ewing has no clue what he's doing as a college coach.

This will be with JT2's imprint...which is exactly the direction they need to move away from.

Sadly, they didn't have much of a choice as Ewing was likely about their 10th option.

xubrew
04-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Not who I would have hired. Not even on the list of people I would have considered hiring. Not even on the list of people I would have looked at had no one on my first list had taken the job.

Nicely done Georgetown!!!

Although I must say that he and Chris Mullens going at it twice a year will make for great theater!!

GoMuskies
04-03-2017, 03:05 PM
One of ESPN's guys thinks Shammond Williams might be on Ewing's staff. Williams just helped Rick Stansbury recruit an absurd class to WKU (by C-USA standards; ranked 11th by Scout).

Ohionite_X
04-03-2017, 03:21 PM
One of ESPN's guys thinks Shammond Williams might be on Ewing's staff. Williams just helped Rick Stansbury recruit an absurd class to WKU (by C-USA standards; ranked 11th by Scout).

Shammond Williams is Mitchell Robinson's godfather so that probably played a part in his recruitment to WKU.

XfansinKy
04-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Ewing is the head coach. I didn't realize he was a 15 year assistant. He definitely knows basketball. Hope he does well except against our guys.

xu82
04-03-2017, 09:25 PM
I had a close friend who hit many of the same places when Ewing was in NY. Based on reports, I wish him all the success of Tonya Harding.

MarvAlbert
04-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Last I saw, Ewing was going in to tell Georgetown what a crappy job they were doing. I imagine they said, "well if you think we're so terrible why dont you take the job?" And he called their bluff. At least, thats how my imagination likes to see it. There's hope for optimism, though. Look at how well Mullin is doing at St. John's...

OTRMUSKIE
04-04-2017, 12:34 AM
We are now at least guaranteed 6 wins a year. St John's, GTown and DePaul. Something has to be going on behind the scenes that we don't know. Is Xavier the only program that knows how to recruit coaches? Name me one school that has done better with picking the right coach then Xavier?

GIMMFD
04-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Last I saw, Ewing was going in to tell Georgetown what a crappy job they were doing. I imagine they said, "well if you think we're so terrible why dont you take the job?" And he called their bluff. At least, thats how my imagination likes to see it. There's hope for optimism, though. Look at how well Mullin is doing at St. John's...

I might be crazy but I really don't think Mullen is doing THAT bad, I mean he did improve in Year 2, you have to give a guy some time to put his system in place and get his own recruits. I don't buy this whole 6 guaranteed wins crap just yet.

ammtd34
04-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Shammond Williams is Mitchell Robinson's godfather so that probably played a part in his recruitment to WKU.

And also, Stansbury, um, well...

drudy23
04-04-2017, 07:59 AM
I might be crazy but I really don't think Mullen is doing THAT bad, I mean he did improve in Year 2, you have to give a guy some time to put his system in place and get his own recruits. I don't buy this whole 6 guaranteed wins crap just yet.

He needs to commit to some defense. If he doesn't, forget it.

Muskie
04-04-2017, 08:23 AM
I might be crazy but I really don't think Mullen is doing THAT bad, I mean he did improve in Year 2, you have to give a guy some time to put his system in place and get his own recruits. I don't buy this whole 6 guaranteed wins crap just yet. He's going to need to mix in some D, and some actual plays. Most the time the play seems to be Ponds or Lovett shoot pretty much whenever they see fit. That's not a recipe for success long term.

Masterofreality
04-04-2017, 01:10 PM
Bleacher Report and Casual Hoya both stated on Twitter that Georgetown officially announces Patrick Ewing as head coach, will be interesting to see.

Gtown kept the JT2 status quo. Which is not what the Big East wanted nor what GTown needed. I just don't see how this works out at all.

Patrick Ewing lost me and showed his stupidity a few years ago with this classic quote :

Patrick Ewing as President of the Player's Association during contract negotiations, "Sure NBA players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too."

This is a lousy incestuous hire and reeks of JT Jr.'s continued unhealthy influence over the program.

theleague
04-04-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with everyone's hatred of the Ewing hire. The only negative I see is the continuation of the Thompson era, but his coaching merits are unquestioned. Dude is a retired HOF and has put in 14 years of being an assistant coach instead of golfing everyday. He is now associate head coach of the Bobcats, has been interviewed for multiple NBA head coaching jobs, and has almost universal respect from everyone he has coached with.

GoMuskies
04-04-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure what's going on with everyone's hatred of the Ewing hire. The only negative I see is the continuation of the Thompson era, but his coaching merits are unquestioned. Dude is a retired HOF and has put in 14 years of being an assistant coach instead of golfing everyday. He is now associate head coach of the Bobcats, has been interviewed for multiple NBA head coaching jobs, and has almost universal respect from everyone he has coached with.

Personally, I don't HATE it....but he's never coached in college. The NBA and college are two very different animals.

Speaking of, Mike Dunleavy was a complete disaster at Tulane this year. I have no idea why those two thought they were a good match.

Caf
04-04-2017, 01:59 PM

I think his greatest potential is recruiting. It's far form guaranteed but I'd bet money the nation's top big men would be excited to play for one of the greatest ever. Not to mention the amount of connections he has to the NBA and being someone who made it there himself.

LA Muskie
04-04-2017, 02:13 PM

I disagree with many of your superlatives:

* His "coaching merits are unquestioned"? Which assistants are ever questioned???
* He has "almost universal respect from everyone he has coached with"? How does anyone even arrive at that???

And yes, he has been interviewed for HC positions at least 4 times, most recently by the Sacramento Kings. But by all accounts he has NEVER even been a finalist for the position. And at least two articles that I've found (WaPo (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/04/patrick-ewing-may-never-become-an-nba-head-coach-why/?utm_term=.dd6e8b2f4594) and Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1228283-why-patrick-ewing-will-never-be-an-nba-head-coach)) opine that he likely would never be handed the reins of an NBA franchise.

That said, I don't HATE the choice. Like you say, he's a HOFer who has significant coaching experience (albeit exclusively at the NBA level). I just think they could and should have done better. If he were not a GTown alum -- and frankly if JT wasn't fully behind him -- I am confident he wouldn't have even been on GTown's list, much less their hire.

XU 87
04-04-2017, 02:22 PM
He's going to need to mix in some D, and some actual plays. Most the time the play seems to be Ponds or Lovett shoot pretty much whenever they see fit. That's not a recipe for success long term.

And he needs to tuck his shirt in, stop sitting on the scorer's table, stop drinking Perrier water, and participate in the team time outs instead of walking around the huddle.

GIMMFD
04-04-2017, 02:34 PM
And he needs to tuck his shirt in, stop sitting on the scorer's table, stop drinking Perrier water, and participate in the team time outs instead of walking around the huddle.

Okay point proven, but hypothetically, what happens if top talent comes to St. John's and they end up making the tournament year in and year out? Does Mullen still get axed because he's not running plays and stuff?

theleague
04-04-2017, 02:46 PM

* His "coaching merits are unquestioned"? Which assistants are ever questioned???
* He has "almost universal respect from everyone he has coached with"? How does anyone even arrive at that???

And yes, he has been interviewed for HC positions at least 4 times, most recently by the Sacramento Kings. But by all accounts he has NEVER even been a finalist for the position. And at least two articles that I've found (WaPo (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/04/patrick-ewing-may-never-become-an-nba-head-coach-why/?utm_term=.dd6e8b2f4594) and Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1228283-why-patrick-ewing-will-never-be-an-nba-head-coach)) opine that he likely would never be handed the reins of an NBA franchise.

That said, I don't HATE the choice. Like you say, he's a HOFer who has significant coaching experience (albeit exclusively at the NBA level). I just think they could and should have done better. If he were not a GTown alum -- and frankly if JT wasn't fully behind him -- I am confident he wouldn't have even been on GTown's list, much less their hire.

I haven't really put much research or thought into this, but every TV personality I've listened to the past week or two have all said he's a great coach and very well respected around the league. I obviously have no personal knowledge about this, but I figure they all aren't lying to me. This is also Stan Van Gundy giving probably the best endorsement you can get.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/stan-van-gundy-pitch-patrick-ewing-coach-georgetown-article-1.3010904

I don't like the hire either, but I'm not going to say that he's not well respected around the league just because he's not a head coach.

XU 87
04-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Okay point proven, but hypothetically, what happens if top talent comes to St. John's and they end up making the tournament year in and year out? Does Mullen still get axed because he's not running plays and stuff?

I'm just saying that based on what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with his coaching abilities.

Muskie
04-04-2017, 04:33 PM

No. They'll keep him if it works. So far, the jury is out.

xu82
04-04-2017, 05:17 PM
No. They'll keep him if it works. So far, the jury is out.

Yeah, winning cures everything. Unless you really screw up with strippers and hookers and academic frau..... wait, never mind. Winning cures everything.

MADXSTER
04-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Patrick Ewing is a step up from JT III based on nobody else could be worse(including Snipe). I too think that his recruiting will be really good. Wouldn't surprise me if he starts getting 1 and done's coming thru the system. Many times really good players can make a lesser coach look really good(See Tom Crean/Dwayne Wade). If he gets the right assistant coaches, I could see GT back in the top 3 teams in the league in a couple of years.

XUGRAD80
04-04-2017, 08:29 PM
And I could also see them becoming another DePaul. They are certainly at a crossroads right now, and if Ewing is not able to right the ship and get them into the top 25 and making runs in the tourney, they could easily fall even further. They have some challenges to overcome.

xu82
04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
And I could also see them becoming another DePaul. They are certainly at a crossroads right now, and if Ewing is not able to right the ship and get them into the top 25 and making runs in the tourney, they could easily fall even further. They have some challenges to overcome.

I don't see it as becoming DePaul. Not sure if Ewing isn't the guy who is a hope and a prayer/sacrificial lamb - the guy who replaces the guy (or bloodline in this case). Stepping outside might shock the Hoya faithful. You want to be the next guy. And in the meantime Ewing can make a few mil a year for a few years before they look for a "real" candidate.

Juice
04-05-2017, 08:02 AM
This is pretty funny

Rick Snider‏
@Snide_Remarks
Patrick Ewing told Sports Junkies his son can't stay on staff bc of nepotism rule at Georgetown. Dan Snyder is thinking that's a real thing?

Muskie
04-05-2017, 08:25 AM
This is pretty funny

Rick Snider‏
@Snide_Remarks
Patrick Ewing told Sports Junkies his son can't stay on staff bc of nepotism rule at Georgetown. Dan Snyder is thinking that's a real thing? X has a similar rule. Cost us Archie Miller on Staff. How that might have changed X's history.

GoMuskies
04-05-2017, 08:25 AM
X has a similar rule. Costs us Archie Miller on Staff. How that might have changed X's history.

Thank God for nepotism rules.

Juice
04-05-2017, 08:32 AM
X has a similar rule. Cost us Archie Miller on Staff. How that might have changed X's history.

I think the rule is fine but it's hilarious they're saying this after hiring JT3 and keeping him way past his expiration date.

Masterofreality
04-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Classy Patrick Classy.

Just what you want the leader of your program to be: (Courtesy MuskieFan3)

GoMuskies
04-05-2017, 09:03 AM
I miss the Gold Club. That place was fantastic.

xubrew
04-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Classy Patrick Classy.

Just what you want the leader of your program to be: (Courtesy MuskieFan3)

Damn. My strip club experiences have been rather few and far between. What I took away from it was that it was an expensive way to get sexually frustrated and/or to get naked women to pretend that they like you. I never had an experience quite like Patrick Ewing. But, I was never an NBA All Star either.

paulxu
04-05-2017, 10:24 AM
I miss the Gold Club. That place was fantastic.

I thought I saw you in there. You were with the Accounting major from Emory...right?

GoMuskies
04-05-2017, 10:34 AM
I thought I saw you in there. You were with the Accounting major from Emory...right?

She just needed tuition for a few more semesters.

nuts4xu
04-05-2017, 10:50 AM
Ewing has some classic quotes, here is one of my favorites.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-people-complain-that-pro-athletes-make-a-lot-of-money-but-what-they-don-t-understand-patrick-ewing-69-13-93.jpg

Muskie
04-05-2017, 11:03 AM
I think the rule is fine but it's hilarious they're saying this after hiring JT3 and keeping him way past his expiration date. I don't believe they had the policy in 1998 when JTIII was hired.

xu82
04-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Ewing has some classic quotes, here is one of my favorites.

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-people-complain-that-pro-athletes-make-a-lot-of-money-but-what-they-don-t-understand-patrick-ewing-69-13-93.jpg

Oh, I do love the Classics!

Masterofreality
04-05-2017, 01:47 PM

This... Public Reps, since *obviously* Putin has "influenced" the Jack booted thug moderators of this board.

XfansinKy
04-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Considering he played college ball under John Thompson, apprenticed under Stan Van Gundy, won olympic gold with and under some of the greatest basketball minds ever, and coached at some capacity for 14 years paying dues, I would think he would have to be stupid to not know how to run a big program by now. The NBA though the same game, is so much different than college. Steve Kerr seems to doing ok but I still believe Mark Jackson set the table for him. My guess is if Ewing can recruit good players he will do fine. If he can't he won't. Seems like almost every great college coach credits their success to having the best players.

GIMMFD
04-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Considering he played college ball under John Thompson, apprenticed under Stan Van Gundy, won olympic gold with and under some of the greatest basketball minds ever, and coached at some capacity for 14 years paying dues, I would think he would have to be stupid to not know how to run a big program by now. The NBA though the same game, is so much different than college. Steve Kerr seems to doing ok but I still believe Mark Jackson set the table for him. My guess is if Ewing can recruit good players he will do fine. If he can't he won't. Seems like almost every great college coach credits their success to having the best players.

What defines great? I don't consider Cal a great coach. He's a great recruiter, but not a coach. If we're talking X's and O's, I can think of a lot of guys I would take over him.

ammtd34
04-06-2017, 08:33 AM

What experience that you listed would help him run a college program?

If he's successful, that's fine. But I don't think you simply absorb the information needed to run a program by being around the NBA for 30 years. College coaches kiss a lot of ass. Kids, donors, media, etc.. Is Ewing good at that? I guess we'll see. He already said recruiting isn't as hard as people say it is. Interesting perspective from someone who has never recruited.

xu82
04-06-2017, 09:23 AM
It's easy to BE recruited. It's much harder to be the recruiter.

XfansinKy
04-06-2017, 10:08 AM
What defines great? I don't consider Cal a great coach. He's a great recruiter, but not a coach. If we're talking X's and O's, I can think of a lot of guys I would take over him.

Well I agree with you about Cal. Universities like UK recruit well no matter who the coach is. Rex Chapman was an Eddie Sutton recruit. Tubby recruited some good players and even the big Harrison kid that Cal sent to the NBA was a Tubby recruit. I've never thought of Cal as much more than an above average D1 coach. I would say coach Mack can draw up a better set on either end in 5 minutes than Cal could all day. I'm admittedly wrong more than right predicting basketball stuff but I just feel like if Georgetown is making the facilities like I've heard, along with the tradition, they should recruit well and Ewing should know enough how not to screw it up. Even though Ewing has great name recognition, I still wonder how many good young coaches like Kelsey for example were passed over because of the John Thompson effect.

drudy23
04-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning with Ewing on, and Ewing pretty much admitted Big John was a key factor in him getting hired.

If you're the AD, how long before you say "me or him"?

MD Muskie
04-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning with Ewing on, and Ewing pretty much admitted Big John was a key factor in him getting hired.

As long as JT2 is alive and well it will always be him at Georgetown. His influence will only go away when he decides it's time to completely remove himself from the athletic program. That day is not in the near future.

PS. as someone that grew up in the DC area I want Georgetown to be the force it can be, especially in the Big East. I just believe that they are unfortunately stuck in the late 80s/early 90s with JT2 still influencing so much. I don't believe they can truly get back to being a great program again until they move on from that mentality.

LA Muskie
04-06-2017, 12:05 PM

You don't ever ask that question when you already know the answer and it ain't good.

LA Muskie
04-06-2017, 12:10 PM
One thing I'm fairly certain of is that Ewing will do better than Craig Esherick -- who happens to count his 6-year GTown tenure as the only head coaching job he's ever held. GTown alum refer to the Esherick years as the "lost years". Well, really, they don't refer to them at all.

JTG
04-06-2017, 12:24 PM
. I .don't believe they can truly get back to being a great program again until they move on from that mentality.[/QUOTE]
Kind of like IU finally moving on from Knight.

ammtd34
04-06-2017, 02:03 PM
. I .don't believe they can truly get back to being a great program again until they move on from that mentality.
Kind of like IU finally moving on from Knight.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean you think they haven't done that yet?

JTG
04-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Kind of like IU finally moving on from Knight.

Does this mean you think they haven't done that yet?[/QUOTE]
I think choosing Miller over Alford finally shuts the door on Douchebag Bob's reign of terror in Bloomington.

xubrew
04-06-2017, 04:01 PM
I like Patrick Ewing, but I think it was a bad choice.

Yes, he's in the Hall of Fame. So is Roy Williams. It would be ludicrous for the Celtics to sign Roy Williams as a starting forward, and then defend the pick by explaining that the guy is in the HOF. I think hiring a coach on the basis that they are a HOF player is logic that is just as faulty. Patrick Ewing is not a HOF coach, and being a HOF player is no indication whatsoever that he is capable of being a good, or even decent, head coach.

He might be great. Fred Hoiberg was amazing at Iowa State, and he'd never even been an assistant coach at any level before taking that job. I thought it was a bad hire at the time, but he turned out to be fantastic. I suppose Ewing could turn out that way as well. But more often than not, hires like that do not work out. And the thing is, Georgetown didn't need to take the risk. There are very good head coaches out there that have already shown that they are great. Why go with someone who is a gamble rather than go with someone who much more proven?? If you're Grand Canyon it makes complete sense (and Dan Majerle has done very well there). If you're Georgetown, it really doesn't.

There is nothing known or proven about his coaching abilities other than that he's never done it before at the college level, nor has he ever done it as a head coach at any level. Also, coaching in college is a lot different than coaching in the NBA. The NBA has a huge focus on game management. It's not that there isn't any training or teaching and development, it's nowhere near what it is in college. The players are pretty much developed already, and if they're not then there is a much bigger onus on the player to develop on their own because if they don't they can simply be cut. In college, you much more stuck with the guys you recruit than NBA coaches are stuck with the guys that a GM signs. In college, a lot of coaches recruit to a certain scheme or a certain style of play. You basically adjust your players to what you want to do and seek out the players who fit that system. Maybe not 100 percent, but that's a lot of it. In the NBA, teams seem to adjust the system to the players. There is no recruiting. Isaiah Thomas, I believe, took a few teams to the NBA playoffs. He was a PITIFUL college coach. He was in a bad league, and did very poorly in that league. His coaching credentials pretty much blew Patrick Ewing's away, and the guy was awful. So to assume that someone would be a good college coach simply because they played for a great coach in college, and are in the HOF, and won a gold medal, and won an NBA title, and played for an outstanding NBA coach, and was an assistant coach in the NBA, and in Isaiah Thomas's case was even a head coach in the NBA that made the playoffs), is a bad assumption to make. Patrick Ewing may be great, but I wouldn't bet on it.

X-band '01
04-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Ewing makes the best puppet for John Thompson Jr. Short of a fat raise, why would Danny Hurley or any other coach of note want that job at the moment?

sirthought
04-06-2017, 05:45 PM
The main two things for college coaches are 1) recruiting and 2) game preparation.

1) It's obvious he'll need help with recruiting, but I don't think the learning curve is too much if you have some experienced and energetic assistants. And Georgetown has been able to recruit fairly well of late, despite the results not panning out well. They had a lot of players most D1 programs would be happy to have. With his name recognition alone, I think most high school players and coaches will want to have a discussion with him or his staff.

2) Ewing should be great with game prep. He's obviously seen a lot and worked with all kinds of players. His experience seeing how great teams prepare is a real asset. His earliest coaching experience focused on player development. So his coaching development was working to get guys to execute and play smart.

While in-game coaching is a skill he'll have to prove himself on, it's farther down the list. Get quality players and getting them studied up and ready to go.

I think with a good staff Ewing can do good things at Georgetown.

MauriceX
04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Random thought of the day - is Patrick Ewing the tallest D1 Men's Basketball Coach? I tried Google, but no dice.

bjf123
04-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Random thought of the day - is Patrick Ewing the tallest D1 Men's Basketball Coach? I tried Google, but no dice.

I'm going to go with yes

GoMuskies
07-28-2017, 03:05 PM

I am sure I'm late to the party, but I see that whole situation imploded. Neither Robinson nor Williams are part of Stansbury's program.

GIMMFD
07-29-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm going to go with yes

Brainstorming there's not anybody even remotely close

Mrs. Garrett
07-29-2017, 05:42 PM
Brainstorming there's not anybody even remotely close

larry krystkowiak is 6'9.

X-band '01
07-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Jeff Ruland coached at Iona in the early 2000s - he was close to 7 feet tall himself.

GIMMFD
07-31-2017, 03:02 PM
larry krystkowiak is 6'9.

I knew that, but for some reason I thought that Ewing was like 7'3, and not 7'0... but then again I also thought Chris Mullen was taller than 6'6.