PDA

View Full Version : 1st team ALL Big East selections

Xuperman
03-01-2017, 02:09 AM
Hart, Bluiett, Delgado, Foster seems to be a given. That #5 spot will be interesting. On a side note, did I just read an AP article stating that Delgado just set the ALL TIME Big East record for rebounds in a season? That is hard to grasp if you think about it!

GoMuskies
03-01-2017, 02:28 AM
Who kept the records from the old Big East? The new Big East or the AAC?

Xuperman
03-01-2017, 03:39 AM
One can only assume, if the article is accurate, that it would include the "old" BE also. We kept the name so I would guess the records came with it.

X Factor
03-01-2017, 04:20 AM
Kelan Martin might make 1st Team.

Delgado is an absolute rebounding machine.

Xuperman
03-01-2017, 05:19 AM
Martin and Bullock are nearly identical numbers wise, very similar type players. Tie breaker might be that Martin is on a ranked team but I could see either. At one point I thought Patton could get there but he has slacked off since Mo went down. Speaking of, coaches may have voted Mo 1st team even with the injury but his recent headlines will most certainly kill that.

XMuskieFTW
03-01-2017, 07:58 AM
Delgado just hit 1000 rebounds with a regular season game and postseason to go in his Junior year. All time big east leader is Harangody at 1222. If Angel were to stay, 1400 seems extremely doable.

Muskie
03-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Delgado just hit 1000 rebounds with a regular season game and postseason to go in his Junior year. All time big east leader is Harangody at 1222. If Angel were to stay, 1400 seems extremely doable. I had no idea Harangody was the All-Time Rebounding leader. When I think about all the "popular" Big Men that have been in this conference, I would not have though of him.

D-West & PO-Z
03-01-2017, 08:17 AM
I had no idea Harangody was the All-Time Rebounding leader. When I think about all the "popular" Big Men that have been in this conference, I would not have though of him.

He's 2nd all time in points scored as well.

Muskie
03-01-2017, 08:20 AM
He's 2nd all time in points scored as well. That's more believable to my faulty memory. I'm not sure why the Rebounds thing shocked me.

Looking through the list are some fun trips down memory lane. Terry Dehere with 770 points back in 92-93.

D-West & PO-Z
03-01-2017, 08:54 AM
I just realized sports reference site is only going back to 92-93 for some reason. I kept looking for Ewing on the list and wasnt seeing him and thought that was weird so I am not sure if Harangoady is really second in points or not.

GoMuskies
03-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Harangody is third in points and second in rebounds (Derrick Coleman).

https://issuu.com/pflenke/docs/2016-17_mbb_media_guide

(Note that the records are for regular season conference games only)

Muskie
03-01-2017, 09:04 AM
I just realized sports reference site is only going back to 92-93 for some reason. I kept looking for Ewing on the list and wasnt seeing him and thought that was weird so I am not sure if Harangoady is really second in points or not. Just caught that as well.

XUFan09
03-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Sports reference goes back 8 years on total rebounding rate (it's a relatively new stat), but he's second all-time in that...behind our very own James Farr.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MHettel
03-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Harangody was a 4 year player. Tons of guys came through the "old Big East" that were one-and-done (or maybe 2 years) and probably had a higher average than Harangody but left early.

Also, as far as the record for most rebounds in conference games, don't forget that the current 10 team configuration means there are 18 conference games a year. the old Configuration had 16 conference games.

So, over a 4 year career, a currently player would play 8 more games or essentially 4.5 "seasons" worth of games under the former configuration.

Xuperman
03-01-2017, 11:52 AM
It is the Single Season record that Delgado broke according to the article. It did not specify if it was only rebounds in BE games. If so, he broke the record in 17 games. If it was for the entire schedule it would be in 29. Either way, to think no other player in the history of the BE conference ever had more boards than him is stunning......and he will not be POY? Guess not. The possibility is laughable to some on this board based on posts in another thread.

AviatorX
03-01-2017, 12:08 PM
It is the Single Season record that Delgado broke according to the article. It did not specify if it was only rebounds in BE games. If so, he broke the record in 17 games. If it was for the entire schedule it would be in 29. Either way, to think no other player in the history of the BE conference ever had more boards than him is stunning......and he will not be POY? Guess not. The possibility is laughable to some on this board based on posts in another thread.

It's also laughable that Trevon would be Big East POY this season, and he is also an extremely good player.

IM4X
03-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Delgado just hit 1000 rebounds with a regular season game and postseason to go in his Junior year. All time big east leader is Harangody at 1222. If Angel were to stay, 1400 seems extremely doable.

Doable... but it'd be close... and while having the most rebounds in the BE (at least since the early 90s) would be a tremendous feat, he would need to get very close to that 1400 mark to have more than the 1380 rebounds Tyrone Hill had at X. Go X!

Xuperman
03-01-2017, 01:11 PM
My predicting Delgado getting the POY on another thread garnered some LOL and subtle critisism from some on this board because they had Hart getting the award before the season even started. Me on the otherhand, think AD will get it......along with his record setting rebound #'s, he is ONLY 3 pts behind Hart's scoring avg....:theking:

SemajParlor
03-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Sports reference goes back 8 years on total rebounding rate (it's a relatively new stat), but he's second all-time in that...behind our very own James Farr.

The more you play around on Sports reference the more you realize how freakin' good James Farr was last year. He may very well have been our MVP.

D-West & PO-Z
03-01-2017, 02:37 PM
Hart is a wayy better overall player. Offensively better, definsively better.

Delgado is very good player but to me its not even close.

Hart is 2nd in points, 5th in rebounds, 13th in assists, 7th in steals, 48th in blocks per game.

Delgado is 13th in points, 1st in rebounds, 27th in assists, 45th in steals, and 46th in blocks.

Defensively Hart is a lot better. Offensively better as well.

casualfan
03-01-2017, 02:40 PM
The more you play around on Sports reference the more you realize how freakin' good James Farr was last year. He may very well have been our MVP.

I tried telling people he was a way better player than Jalen and a huge loss going into this year.

He's a perfect example of what players should want their career to look like.

Keep your nose to the grinstone, stick it out and improve on your deficiencies.

casualfan
03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
How is Hart v. Delgado even a debate?

Hell if it wasn't for the positional nature of the voting I'm not even sure he'd make first team all BE.

scoscox
03-01-2017, 02:50 PM
One can only assume, if the article is accurate, that it would include the "old" BE also. We kept the name so I would guess the records came with it.

We got the name, but I think the AAC is technically the heir to the OBE. The NBE is an entirely different conference, so the opposite may be true, but I could be wrong.

scoscox
03-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I'd put Ponds on first team.

XUFan09
03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Sports Reference treats the old and new Big East conferences as one continuous conference, but I don't know how others do it. Technically, the AAC is the same conference as the old Big East and they just gave up the name, but I don't know how much stats are kept by that technicality.

Xuperman
03-02-2017, 10:55 AM
How is Hart v. Delgado even a debate?

Hell if it wasn't for the positional nature of the voting I'm not even sure he'd make first team all BE.

One would be hard pressed to find a more ridiculous statement than this one anywhere on this site. Anyway, I think the All BE teams are announced Monday and we shall see. Could it be possible that last nights version of Trevon may effect his 1st team status? If we see anything close to last nights performance at Depaul, it certainly will not help. It is after all up to the other 9 coaches.

GoMuskies
03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Sports Reference treats the old and new Big East conferences as one continuous conference, but I don't know how others do it. Technically, the AAC is the same conference as the old Big East and they just gave up the name, but I don't know how much stats are kept by that technicality.

If you check out the Big East media guide (helpfully linked earlier in this thread by me), you'll see that the Big East takes the position that all of the Big East conference's history dating back to 1979-80 belongs to the current Big East.

IM4X
03-02-2017, 11:44 PM
If you check out the Big East media guide (helpfully linked earlier in this thread by me), you'll see that the Big East takes the position that all of the Big East conference's history dating back to 1979-80 belongs to the current Big East.

And even though the ACC tried to steal it away, the most coveted venue for a college basketball conference tournament remains with the BE too.

casualfan
03-03-2017, 05:19 AM
One would be hard pressed to find a more ridiculous statement than this one anywhere on this site. Anyway, I think the All BE teams are announced Monday and we shall see. Could it be possible that last nights version of Trevon may effect his 1st team status? If we see anything close to last nights performance at Depaul, it certainly will not help. It is after all up to the other 9 coaches.

Brunson
Hart
Trevon
Martin
Bullock

Who does he deserve to make it over?

XMuskieFTW
03-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Honestly, Bluiett being left off wouldn't surprise me at all. His big east numbers are not all that good compared to his nonconference numbers. In the big east he's averaging 14.9/5.6/1.9 shooting 41.8% from the field and 35.2% from three. And he did that while missing a couple games.

casualfan
03-03-2017, 08:11 AM
Honestly, Bluiett being left off wouldn't surprise me at all. His big east numbers are not all that good compared to his nonconference numbers. In the big east he's averaging 14.9/5.6/1.9 shooting 41.8% from the field and 35.2% from three. And he did that while missing a couple games.

You may well be right.

In fact as I'm thinking about it I would probably put Kris Jenkins on there instead of him.

And to be clear I think that Delgado is a really good player that will deservedly be placed on the first team.

But suggesting that he might not make it without the positional requirement with the other guys in the league is not ridiculous at all.

blueblob06
03-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Brunson
Hart
Trevon
Martin
Bullock

Bullock - 16.5 pts / 6.5 reb / 1.5 asts / 44.4% FG%
Delgado - 15.9 pts / 13 reb / 1.9 asts / 54.3% FG%

I'd take Delgado 10 out of 10 times.

casualfan
03-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Zagsblog has Delgado 6th in POY race...

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/03/05/handicapping-conference-player-year-races-big-east/

Porkopolis
03-05-2017, 10:34 AM
We got the name, but I think the AAC is technically the heir to the OBE. The NBE is an entirely different conference, so the opposite may be true, but I could be wrong.

Not the case. The Big East kept the basketball records, the AAC got the football records.

THRILLHOUSE
03-05-2017, 12:26 PM
1st team Big East:

Jalen Brunson

Marcus Foster

Josh Hart

Trevon Bluiett

Angel Delgado

Andrew Chrabasc

Masterofreality
03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
All Freshman Team:

-Six Players
-FIVE Guards
-From Four teams
- No Q

Hmmmmmm. :chin:

paulxu
03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Let's be fair. He only started one month of the season after Ed went down.

Xuperman
03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Brunson
Hart
Trevon
Martin
Bullock

That is real funny, but seriously.....Hart, Delgado, Foster, Bluiett, Martin seems to be the most likely. If they choose a 6th like last year, several guys are in play. I like Jenkins/Brunson or maybe Patton as a dark horse. Watson would have but......

GIMMFD
03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
That is real funny, but seriously.....Hart, Delgado, Foster, Bluiett, Martin seems to be the most likely. If they choose a 6th like last year, several guys are in play. I like Jenkins/Brunson or maybe Patton as a dark horse. Watson would have but......

You know going through this debate really makes you appreciate the level of play we have in the Big East, we have some damn good players that fall under the radar because they're not the "1 and done" types you know? I think I appreciate the structure of our conference, and the way the teams in the conference play "team basketball." It would be very easy for one of these guys to jack up 20 shots a game, but most of our conference plays within the system. Just good basketball all around honestly.

GIMMFD
03-05-2017, 02:58 PM

You know going through this debate really makes you appreciate the level of play we have in the Big East, we have some damn good players that fall under the radar because they're not the "1 and done" types you know? I think I appreciate the structure of our conference, and the way the teams in the conference play "team basketball." It would be very easy for one of these guys to jack up 20 shots a game, but most of our conference plays within the system. Just good basketball all around honestly.