PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Weight Gain in a Year

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 01:46 AM
What is the most weight you gained in any given year. I was 175 and working out regulary before I succumbed to plantar faschitis at the end of last March. A year later and I'm up to 235. I ran into this woman at the market the other day who I'd see regularly at the gym.

She told me that if I start working out again to walk before I run. She meant this literally; she was afraid I'd overstress my joints if I started by jogging.

To hell with her. I think I'm gonna go for 300. We all need goals.

Also, I think Snipe said something snide about my weight at the Rusty Bucket. I was near comatose but I distinctly remember him saying something about my "man boobs." In fact he said I could have got some beads if I'd gone to Mardi Gras.

And that just ain't right.

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 01:49 AM
"I ran into this woman at the market the other day who I'd see regularly at the gym."

I didn't mean this literally. The poor girl would have been a pancake.

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 01:52 AM
BTW, any of you skinny mofos are welcome to come on this thread and feel superior but you better rep me for helping ya feel that way.

Fred Garvin: he was self-deprecating and a little too good at it.

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 02:45 AM
This thread met with a resounding thud. Maybe I should start a bulimia thread.

What's the most weight you lost in any given year?

ballyhoohoo
03-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I went from 195 when i graduated college in 2003 to 270 in 2005. I was 270 1/1/2008 and i am now weighing in at 235! Cholesteral is down from 221 to 186

DC Muskie
03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
I would like to say that I am a person with fat, not a fat person. My fat doesn't define me, but it is a part of me.

Gaining weight is fun. Losing weight sucks.

Cheesehead
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I had 2 foot surguries (running related): one in February & one a week later in March of last year. I had been running 20-30 miles a week and ran the full Flying Pig 3 out of 4 years, w/ a PB of 3:47. I was a solid 200 pounds on 6"1" frame. I was laid up for 4 months & couldn't run until June and I now weigh 218. I had been wearing the same size jeans since college 15 years ago (size 34) but no longer. Had to breakdown & get new pants for work and jeans.

I have returned to running and I'm now training for the 1/2 marathon for the Pig in May. I've been training for a month and I've lost about 1 pound thus far despite 15-20 miles a week. It's definitely a lot harder to lose weight as I get older. I'm also watching what I eat but the metablism has not kicked into gear yet. It sucks. Well, off for a 4 miler on the treadmill....

Kahns Krazy
03-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I went from 190 in January of 2004 to 230 in January of 2007. It was a nice gradual creep. I decided I had to do something about it when I picked up a 40 lb bag of dog food and realized I was carrying an extra one of these things around 24/7.

Losing weight sucks donkeys.

Smails
03-18-2008, 11:44 AM
2 back surgeries in 05' was my undoing. Probably put on a good 10-15 lbs of pure fat. I've made several comebacks but the damn beer kills me. My wife gave me a strange look when I got out of the shower the other day...If I didn't know any better I would say it was a look of disgust.

xu95
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Fred, now I know where all of my weight went to. Actually, I didn't recognize you the first time I went up to the rafters this season.

xu95

The Artist
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
To give you all a good laugh:

I ran cross country in high school and have a hyperactive metabolism. I graduated college weighing 140. I should also mention I'm 6'4".

Since graduating, I stopped running and kept lifting. I'm now 152.

What sucks is that running is one of my favorite things in the world. Quite a catch 22.

Everytime I complain someone says "millions of people would love to have your problem".

XU05and07
03-18-2008, 12:09 PM

I ran cross country in high school and have a hyperactive metabolism. I graduated college weighing 140. I should also mention I'm 6'4".

What sucks is that running is one of my favorite things in the world. Quite a catch 22.

Everytime I complain someone says "millions of people would love to have your problem".

God Nick...don't be afraid to eat a cheesburger

Kahns Krazy
03-18-2008, 01:19 PM

This post will give me a good laugh when I'm thumping your twiggy ass.

I have a problem with all the hot sets of twins that want to do me at the same time. It's similar to my problem where my cash doesn't fit in my house, Pablo style.

Cheesehead
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
6'4" and 152? Are you kidding me? I haven't been 152 since the 9th grade. We need to get you into the Xavier weight program.

I hate people who have crazy-ass metabolism. Pisses me off.

Snipe
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I am built like a greek adonis and quite handsome. 195 pounds of twisted steel sex appeal.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

Snipe
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
I have to say this thread was getting interesting when Garvin kept replying to himself. I love it when he takes a thread over the edge.

DC Muskie
03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm hoping I meet a beautiful who likes her man fat.

I haven't been 152 lbs. since I was about 10.

Kahns Krazy
03-18-2008, 03:26 PM
I am built like a greek adonis and quite handsome. 195 pounds of twisted steel sex appeal.

Someone has broken into Snipe's house and is posting using his screen name. Same thing happened to Muskieman one time.

BlueGuy
03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I decided I had to do something about it when I picked up a 40 lb bag of dog food and realized I was carrying an extra one of these things around 24/7.

Wow, that just made me feel like a giant piece of sh!t. Thanks for making that analogy. I'm going to start using this thought for motivation.

nuts4xu
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I am very good at gaining weight, but I suck at losing it. I have lost about 15 pounds since April last year, but recent events have derailed my progress.

I was down a total of 25 before the basketball season but Haloween candy, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas cookies and feasts, basketball season, some issues with the old lady, and a new job with tons more travel have all contributed to less exercise and me caring much less about what I eat.

Fattening food tastes much better than healthy food. This is science and is a fact. Vegetables suck!

xu95 looks like he swallowed a tape worm. I think he told me he lost 2 40 lb pound bags of dog food in the past year or so. He needs to get with Fred Garvin and whip him into shape!!

BiggieXU
03-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Which is why I always wanted you to guard me in the post Nick.

I am 6'5" and was 170 Christmas break of my frosh year.
Went up to 225 by Christmas of junior year.
Back down to 200 within 4 months.
A year later, ended Senior year up at 220.
2.5 years later hit 240 (this past Christmas) and now am down to 230.

I guess that's what happens when my only exercise is playing bball and I get lazy often.

XU05and07
03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Which is why I always wanted you to guard me in the post Nick.

I am 6'5" and was 170 Christmas break of my frosh year.
Went up to 225 by Christmas of junior year.
Back down to 200 within 4 months.
A year later, ended Senior year up at 220.
2.5 years later hit 240 (this past Christmas) and now am down to 230.

I guess that's what happens when my only exercise is playing bball and I get lazy often.

How's the baby doing?

joebba
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I am just starting out to change my bad ways. I have started just walking. I too have issues with my feet hurting but I do not think it is plantar fascitis. I have gain aboout 20-25 pound in the past year. was 175 at HS graduation and am now 275+ 22 years later. Its gonna be work to lose steady and slow and develop better eating and exercise habits. I am glad I am not alone here.

boozehound
03-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I shot up from around 240 in college to about 315 for a while after I graduated. In college I just kind of ate whatever I want and stayed around 240, due to all the running and lifting I was doing between playing rugby and waiting tables.

In the past year, however, I am down from 315 back to about 245. Still have a little ways to go, but I have been working out min. 4 days a week for over a year now. Once you make it a part of your routine it becomes almost second nature.

kmcrawfo
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I check in at ~165-175, 6'1".

Few months ago went on a 10 day cruise and weighed 193 when I got home. Didn't figure a 20+ pound weight gain was possible in 2 weeks, but I did eat 8-9 Lobster tails and/or 5-6 Prime Ribs/etc... each night.

6 weeks later I was back down to 168 having after resuming my normal eating/work-out habits.

ATL Muskie
03-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I've just started gaining some weight back due to foot issues too. Very frustrating. My pain is in the ball of my right foot and after three dr. visits, x-rays and steroids nothing seems to be working. It's hurting like a bitch right now. Been dealing with it since the week before Christmas. Foot pain is the worst b/c it knocks your whole body off.

I'd say the most I ever gained was the summer between sophomore and jr years at X. I still haven't recovered. I'm at 6'0" 209 lbs right now.

We sound like a bunch of women. This thread is just a nice way of saying, "Do these pants make me look fat?"

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
We sound like a bunch of women. This thread is just a nice way of saying, "Do these pants make me look fat?"

I no longer wear pants. All the buttons popped off. You're probably right about sounding like women, I've even developed stretch marks.

ATL Muskie
03-18-2008, 09:04 PM

I no longer wear pants. All the buttons popped off. You're probably right about sounding like women, I've even developed stretch marks.

And tits. Don't forget those.

xeus
03-18-2008, 09:09 PM
This thread is getting creepy. Glad everyone is getting their weight demons out in the open, but really, save it for your Weight Watchers diaries.

Except you Fred - God bless you - we all want to keep an eye on your figure. You are sexy cougar bait and an inspiration to all.

Fred Garvin
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
This thread is getting creepy. Glad everyone is getting their weight demons out in the open, but really, save it for your Weight Watchers diaries.

Except you Fred - God bless you - we all want to keep an eye on your figure. You are sexy cougar bait and an inspiration to all.

I have been watching my weight; I've been watching it escalate.
Super Sized Garvin is just more to love. I'm large and in charge. I've got the gift of gab and the curse of flab. Rep me cause a vote for Garvin is a vote for saturated fat.

PM Thor
03-18-2008, 09:35 PM
I have gotten fat and it is driving me crazy.

I went from 190 to 225. But in the last three days I have dropped 7 pounds. Thanks Flu!

I have made some recent changes too. No more of this drinking with no reason. For awhile there I was putting down a 12 pack a night no problem. Those days are done. I have also given up pop and fast food. Once healthy again I will be hitting the gym (before the flu I was working out every day at work and once every other day while off) again.

My goal is to hit 199 by the fall. Slow and steady.

XUglow
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
I have been 6'4" and right around 210 to 215 since college. I wear it pretty well. On the odd occasion, I bounce up into the 225 range and have to work to bring it back down. I tipped the scales at 226 on Monday and decided it was time to bring it back down. Tonight, when I walked into the local pub after work, Miss Muskie tells me that I must be losing weight and look great. That was not a good message for a man that was soon to choose between the healthy salad or the evil BBQ ribs. Damn it, Miss Muskie, you made me weak, but the ribs were delicious.

xeus
03-18-2008, 10:05 PM
How often do you guys weigh yourselves? Last time I was on a scale it was in the mail room at work. I was checking the cost to mail myself to San Antonio, Flat Stanley style.

eXdrummer
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I gained weight rather slowly through college until I was up to about 210. After moving to El Salvador, I dropped 40 lbs in a couple months (sharted and puked out most of it...). Somehow I've kept it off even though I've been back for several months.

Snipe
03-18-2008, 11:06 PM
I have determined that my weight is right on. My height is wrong though.

XU05and07
03-19-2008, 12:07 AM
I have been watching my weight; I've been watching it escalate.
Super Sized Garvin is just more to love. I'm large and in charge. I've got the gift of gab and the curse of flab. Rep me cause a vote for Garvin is a vote for saturated fat.

Explains why you haven't been over at Indian Creek lately

X-band '01
03-19-2008, 05:57 AM
6'3", 185 lbs. I look like a pogo-stick.

XUglow
03-19-2008, 08:07 AM

I was 6'3" 185 in high school.

Raoul Duke
03-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm a pretty big fella - go about 6'7", 340 lbs. My friends threw a bachelor party for me once, and I ate the entire cake before they could tell me there was a stripper in it. I take showers in vodka and feed my baby shrimp scampi.

ATL Muskie
03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

X-Band finally gets lucky:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_01/PogoDM_228x662.jpg

xu95
03-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I am very good at gaining weight, but I suck at losing it. I have lost about 15 pounds since April last year, but recent events have derailed my progress.

I was down a total of 25 before the basketball season but Haloween candy, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas cookies and feasts, basketball season, some issues with the old lady, and a new job with tons more travel have all contributed to less exercise and me caring much less about what I eat.

Fattening food tastes much better than healthy food. This is science and is a fact. Vegetables suck!

xu95 looks like he swallowed a tape worm. I think he told me he lost 2 40 lb pound bags of dog food in the past year or so. He needs to get with Fred Garvin and whip him into shape!!

I actually dropped from 262 to 175, however, I am now back up to my fighting weight of 182.

xu95

Fred Garvin
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm on a protein diet...and a carb diet...fried food diet...liquid diet.

I appreciated Cheesehead's confession that he had to go out and buy fat clothes. That's a brutal realization. You put that off as long as possible. It's especially troubling if you aren't accustomed to being overweight.

Then there is Snipe. He grew up in the Shillito's "husky" section. Had to get his garanimals and BTK's at the big and tall store.

Fred Garvin
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Explains why you haven't been over at Indian Creek lately

I don't want to break the seat on the recumbent bike.

Cheesehead
03-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Hey, I didn't say "fat" clothes, damnit... and I'm working on it. I'm getting ready to run another 4 miles in just a bit. Granted, it's inside on a treadmill while watching TV w/ a fan on me but I'm still doing it and that's what's important. My problem is that there are not a lot of 35 inch pants out there, 36's are big but my old 34's are a little snug. I guess I just need to get back into the 34's or buy more clothes.

XUglow
03-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I normally wear 34's, but I feel so good in 36's that I buy 38's.

XUglow
03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Fred, this is your future. It is not too late to mend your ways. You can thank me later.

http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?ID=330960

boozehound
03-20-2008, 06:01 AM
That chick was disgusting! How can you let yourself get that fat?