THRILLHOUSE
01-17-2017, 02:09 PM
MRI confirms ACL tear. Crummy news for Watson and the Jays:

https://twitter.com/mauricewatsonjr/status/821448348146237444

Lloyd Braun
01-17-2017, 02:32 PM
MRI confirms ACL tear. Crummy news for Watson and the Jays:

https://twitter.com/mauricewatsonjr/status/821448348146237444

Wonder if he tore it on the first injury or second. I am willing to believe it was on the and-1 drive and not the first injury when he collided with ed.... which would raise questions on the decision to put him back in.

Muskie
01-17-2017, 02:34 PM
I said at the time, Creighton mortgage their whole season to beat us at Cintas.

bleedXblue
01-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Big blow for them. Some will now hold McDermott accountable for what will soon to be a drop off in W's.......just crazy. I think they were very easily a Final Four contender if all stayed healthy.

AviatorX
01-17-2017, 02:37 PM
Were the two injuries definitely related? Obviously the timing points to that, but it seemed like he knocked knees with Ed the first time, which is a really painful one that he was still limping through when he buckled on the and-1 landing.

xufan2434
01-17-2017, 02:40 PM
That really sucks for Mo and Creighton. He was awesome to watch. I know people will, but I don't think you can blame McDermott. Sure he could have kept him out, but it's very rare that you see a guy tear something from banging knees. That's usually just a bruise. And I don't blame a coach for trusting his 5th year senior and leader if he says they're good to go back in. I know kids always wanna go in, but you gotta trust the veterans

xufan2434
01-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Were the two injuries definitely related? Obviously the timing points to that, but it seemed like he knocked knees with Ed the first time, which is a really painful one that he was still limping through when he buckled on the and-1 landing.

Was thinking the same thing. My guess is the pain from banging knees caused him to land awkwardly/buckle the knee in order to try and lessen the pain

scoscox
01-17-2017, 02:45 PM
I said at the time, Creighton mortgage their whole season to beat us at Cintas.

It's harsh to say, but McDermott putting him back in right away was incredibly dumb.

Muskie
01-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Was thinking the same thing. My guess is the pain from banging knees caused him to land awkwardly/buckle the knee in order to try and lessen the pain after the knee knock he barely made it back to the bench under his own power. When he came back a few minutes later he was noticeably limping. I'd say, one led to the other.

Juice
01-17-2017, 02:49 PM
It's harsh to say, but McDermott putting him back in right away was incredibly dumb.

Everyone keeps saying this. But does anyone actually know the extent of the injury the first time? Or are you just assuming they're related? I have no idea either way but I won't pretend that I know what was better for Watson than his coach.

Blue Blooded-05
01-17-2017, 02:49 PM
I missed the entire first half yesterday. How did it happen?

xufan2434
01-17-2017, 02:51 PM
after the knee knock he barely made it back to the bench under his own power. When he came back a few minutes later he was noticeably limping. I'd say, one led to the other.

I agree, that's what I was trying to say in that the pain from the 1st caused him to land the way he did

bleedXblue
01-17-2017, 02:52 PM
He was limping quite a bit after he went back out.

Tough call. Bad luck. Hindsight is always 20/20

Lloyd Braun
01-17-2017, 02:56 PM
He was limping quite a bit after he went back out.

Tough call. Bad luck. Hindsight is always 20/20

True but after 5 seconds of watching him bring the ball up the court I felt uneasy. It was incredibly stupid.

Lloyd Braun
01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
I missed the entire first half yesterday. How did it happen?

He bumped knees with Ed, and it didn't look bad initially but on replay from behind you could see his knee bend inward stressing his MCL assumingly. Then he came back in, was noticibly limping and landed awkwardly after a drive to the hoop. He went down immediately. Too bad for him, I'm sure he was clamoring to get back in.

scoscox
01-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Everyone keeps saying this. But does anyone actually know the extent of the injury the first time? Or are you just assuming they're related? I have no idea either way but I won't pretend that I know what was better for Watson than his coach.

First, the "knee knock" was not straight on. After a knee knock players bounce off of each other, the knee stings and hurts, but can be almost immediately walked off. Watson went down holding his knee and the area around it, that indicated a more structural issue and the way his legs got caught up it seemed reasonable and I was concerned. When he came back in and was limping the way he was, I cringed. When he tore it, it was inevitable and it was cringe-worthy to hear McDermott say they might miss him for a game or so after the game and say there was probably no ligament damage. It was textbook ACL and Watson afterwards knew it. I was surprised they let him back out there. I thought it was obvious, it's just brutal for this to happen to Creighton, but McDermott's lack of caution was alarming.

American X
01-17-2017, 03:04 PM
I hate this. Watson is my favorite non-Xavier Big East player. I love watching him play. They looked poised for a deep March run.

Bad for him, bad for Creighton, bad for the conference, bad all around...

bleedXblue
01-17-2017, 05:51 PM
First, the "knee knock" was not straight on. After a knee knock players bounce off of each other, the knee stings and hurts, but can be almost immediately walked off. Watson went down holding his knee and the area around it, that indicated a more structural issue and the way his legs got caught up it seemed reasonable and I was concerned. When he came back in and was limping the way he was, I cringed. When he tore it, it was inevitable and it was cringe-worthy to hear McDermott say they might miss him for a game or so after the game and say there was probably no ligament damage. It was textbook ACL and Watson afterwards knew it. I was surprised they let him back out there. I thought it was obvious, it's just brutal for this to happen to Creighton, but McDermott's lack of caution was alarming.

Teams have trainers and medical professionals that should have looked at his injury after the first incident. I'm sure if McDermott knew anything was going on with his ACL he would have sat him.

xu82
01-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Terrible, terrible news. A terrific player and a fun guy to watch play. Hoping for a speedy and full recovery. Like American X said: Bad, bad, bad, bad. (And Bad)

XUMIOH12
01-17-2017, 07:54 PM
disappointing to see that, especially if you are Creighton. Probably kills their shot at a really big run in the tourney.

Juice
01-17-2017, 08:06 PM
Teams have trainers and medical professionals that should have looked at his injury after the first incident. I'm sure if McDermott knew anything was going on with his ACL he would have sat him.

That's my point. I don't think any coach in America would intentionally put a guy out there if he knew there was a chance he could seriously injure himself. There is no way McDermott would sacrifice a few more minutes of play in exchange for the rest of Watson's season.

scoscox
01-17-2017, 08:14 PM
The thing is that ACL's are tricky. Often athletes will be able to continue playing after the tear only to make it worse. If a trainer has suspicion enough to feel the need to perform a structural exam, you shouldn't let that guy continue playing in that game until you get an MRI. It is really hard to tell if an ACL is torn from a physical exam unless it is a severe tear. It's surprising that the trainers wouldn't have made this clear, but I would think the severity of the possibility of a torn acl for your senior leader would've been enough to sit him down.

xu82
01-17-2017, 08:17 PM
That's my point. I don't think any coach in America would intentionally put a guy out there if he knew there was a chance he could seriously injure himself. There is no way McDermott would sacrifice a few more minutes of play in exchange for the rest of Watson's season.

I'd feel some shame if any X grad felt otherwise. I can't believe he even TRIED to go back out if it was already fully torn. May have finished it on the landing. Terribly unfortunate.

ammtd34
01-18-2017, 10:26 AM
A senior soccer player I coached this year ended up being an All American. She went down late in the first half of a game after banging knees with someone. Our trainer examined her and was confident it wasn't ACL. She started the second half and went down to no contact a few minutes in. It was an ACL and now she's rehabbing it before she leaves for college. It sucks, but sometimes, it just happens.

Mel Cooley XU'81
01-18-2017, 12:03 PM
This.

I hate this. Watson is my favorite non-Xavier Big East player. I love watching him play. They looked poised for a deep March run.

Bad for him, bad for Creighton, bad for the conference, bad all around...

xubrew
01-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Big blow for them. Some will now hold McDermott accountable for what will soon to be a drop off in W's.......just crazy. I think they were very easily a Final Four contender if all stayed healthy.

I don't think anybody really will, at least not on here. I was the only one who was really predicting Creighton would hit the skids once they entered the second half of conference play, but not under these circumstances. And it's not like I was wanting it to happen. It was just one of those things that always seems to happen and that I was going to keep predicting would happen until it changed. Kinda like the Bengals never winning a playoff game. I know that one of these years they are finally going to win one, but until they do I'm going to keep predicting against it no matter how good they look going into the playoffs. Maybe this would have been the year it did change for him/them. Hey, this was the year the Cubs finally won.

I really do hate that this happened. I hate it for Watson, but also for Creighton as a whole who was having their best season in their program's history. I'd actually kind of rather forget that I even brought it up (multiple times) about how I was expecting them to crash. This isn't anything like how I thought they would crash.

xubrew
02-01-2017, 10:37 AM
VERY impressive win for Creighton last night. I'm both surprised and impressed. If Creighton is able to finish strong despite what has happened to them, I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about McDermott. I won't admit it until it happens, but I will admit it if it does. They looked really good last night, so I've gone from being a complete doubter to being somewhat optimistic. Then again, today is the first day of February, so.....

But even if they do collapse, you can't blame it entirely on him this year. I definitely realize that.