PDA

View Full Version : New Football League (sort of)

xubrew
01-12-2017, 03:59 PM
As popular as football is, it seems to me that a secondary pro league would be a rather viable and successful venture, especially in mid-sized cities that don't have NFL teams. (Memphis, Portland, Tulsa, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Cleveland, etc). Minor league hockey seems to do pretty well, and that's not even football. It's hockey. Even the USL does very well as a secondary soccer league, and soccer is probably even less popular than hockey. Yet, every attempt to start a secondary football league (XFL, World League, USFL, UFL, etc) seems to have failed.

That being said, this particular model does not seem to be all that sustainable. Four teams, all in the same geographic area, in July in August. I would actually like to see a secondary pro league take off, and even turn out to be an alternative for guys who want to play football, but don't necessarily want to attend college. But, unless their business model revolves around signing players and representing them as agents, I don't see this being all that popular or sustainable.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/don-yee-tom-bradys-agent-is-starting-a-pro-football-league-for-college-age-players/?utm_source=vicesportsfb