PDA

View Full Version : Xavier, TriHealth reveal plan to build fitness center

BMoreX
01-12-2017, 12:05 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/01/12/xavier-trihealth-reveal-plan-to-build-fitness.html?ana=twt

GoMuskies
01-12-2017, 12:40 PM
This was overdue 20 years ago.

bleedXblue
01-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Will be a great addition to campus

blueblob06
01-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Wow, should be cool. Campus will continue to become more and more impressive.

Jehoya
01-12-2017, 02:10 PM
I won't believe them until I see buildings rising, they announced a new fitness center when I was there in 2008, and then again in 2014.

xudash
01-12-2017, 02:21 PM

It's been in the works for a while. They just wanted to get it right - they wanted to really stick the landing with the right corporate partner. It will prove to be worth the wait.

X-band '01
01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
I wonder how many similarities it will have to the Fitness Pavilion in Montgomery (off of I-71/Pfeiffer).

XUMIOH12
01-12-2017, 03:06 PM
It's been in the works for a while. They just wanted to get it right - they wanted to really stick the landing with the right corporate partner. It will prove to be worth the wait.

they just wanted the money for it. Not worth the wait, since I won't be able to use it.

XUMIOH12
01-12-2017, 03:07 PM
I won't believe them until I see buildings rising, they announced a new fitness center when I was there in 2008, and then again in 2014.

yeah when I was touring Xavier they said it would be done a couple years later, obviously didn't happen.

sirthought
01-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Surprised to read Xavier is only the FIFTH largest university in Greater Cincinnati.

American X
01-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Why does a school of 6,500 students need 1,200 employees?

bleedXblue
01-13-2017, 06:47 AM

Great question. I'm sure a lot of those are part time. But it still begs the question.

Tuition+ room and board runs in the 50K range.

JTG
01-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Because the helicopter parents sending their little babies to college want their every need and desire catered to.
Glad I attended X when it was an "everyman school"

XUFan09
01-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Because the helicopter parents sending their little babies to college want their every need and desire catered to.
Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

GoMuskies
01-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Tuition+ room and board runs in the 50K range.

I'm glad none of my kids are particularly attached to Xavier. LOL @ that #.

Caf
01-13-2017, 09:38 AM

These God damn millennials are ruining my school and country! Back in my day Xavier employed 20 people and students had to walk 15 miles to and from class, uphill both ways!

xeus
01-13-2017, 09:38 AM

It's not just enrollment that determines staffing needs. Look at the size of the campus, the facilities, maintenance, etc. It's a pretty big enterprise.

JTG
01-13-2017, 01:14 PM
These God damn millennials are ruining my school and country! Back in my day Xavier employed 20 people and students had to walk 15 miles to and from class, uphill both ways!
Damn, you must have been in my class....I actually did walk to and from my apt.,on Asmann Ave, and some days it felt like it was uphill both ways.

Caf
01-13-2017, 01:24 PM
Damn, you must have been in my class....I actually did walk to and from my apt.,on Asmann Ave, and some days it felt like it was uphill both ways.

That's actually very true of the campus. If you had a class in Schmidt field house you were definitely walking uphill both ways.

Seriously though, colleges employ a crap ton of people. Housing, feeding, educating, entertaining (cintas center), policing, cleaning, etc takes a ton of man power. I bet that counts RAs and other student employees too. I'm not sure which employees you'd consider are there for babying students.

bleedXblue
01-13-2017, 01:48 PM
That's actually very true of the campus. If you had a class in Schmidt field house you were definitely walking uphill both ways.

Seriously though, colleges employ a crap ton of people. Housing, feeding, educating, entertaining (cintas center), policing, cleaning, etc takes a ton of man power. I bet that counts RAs and other student employees too. I'm not sure which employees you'd consider are there for babying students.

Very few care about the student debt issues that kids are facing today. If it's not already an issue or epidemic it is soon to become one.

Who's idea was it to build these immense elaborate cafeteria's where the students can eat sushi, pasta, burgers, salads, sandwiches, salad bars, dessert bar etc.? X's meal plan is around 5K a year ? And they aren't any different than most schools. Do you know how much food you can buy for 5K a year?

Who's idea was it to build all this green space and beautiful landscaping on college campuses today? It all has be maintained kept up and that expense is huge.

Health/Fitness complex? Sounds like a great idea, but how much more will my child's tuition bill go up for this one?

Has anyone ever heard of taking a walk or going for a run? WTF

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but none of the above have anything to do with educating the young people of this country.

Stop with the madness and make this about EDUCATING and less about this ridiculous "experience" that kids want today.

XUMIOH12
01-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Very few care about the student debt issues that kids are facing today. If it's not already an issue or epidemic it is soon to become one.

Who's idea was it to build these immense elaborate cafeteria's where the students can eat sushi, pasta, burgers, salads, sandwiches, salad bars, dessert bar etc.? X's meal plan is around 5K a year ? And they aren't any different than most schools. Do you know how much food you can buy for 5K a year?

Who's idea was it to build all this green space and beautiful landscaping on college campuses today? It all has be maintained kept up and that expense is huge.

Health/Fitness complex? Sounds like a great idea, but how much more will my child's tuition bill go up for this one?

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but none of the above have anything to do with educating the young people of this country.

Stop with the madness and make this about EDUCATING and less about this ridiculous "experience" that kids want today.

can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not....

muskiefan82
01-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Even if he is, he isn't wrong.

XUMIOH12
01-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Even if he is, he isn't wrong.

can't say i fully agree with that. Part of attracting great students and faculty, is having a great campus experience to offer. And quite frankly, the old caf that was in cintas sucked and was out of date. Same goes for O'Connor, that place is awful.

xudash
01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
can't say i fully agree with that. Part of attracting great students and faculty, is having a great campus experience to offer. And quite frankly, the old caf that was in cintas sucked and was out of date. Same goes for O'Connor, that place is awful.

This. Although the O'Connor opened while I was in undergrad school, so allow me to note it was very nice once upon a time.

While I understand the comments about "spoiled brats" and all, the reality of it is that the facilities war on campuses went way past just sports facilities a long time ago. We have to not only keep up, but, where we can on a unique basis for us, exceed our competition.

Frankly, I'm surprised to read any negative comments about this project, because this facility will really cap out what will become a campus that was probably unimaginable as recently as even 10 years ago.

Juice
01-13-2017, 08:43 PM

Not everyone is Rocky training in Russia.

This is all about attracting students. If the amenities are shit at a college then no one or no one worth a damn will want to attend the school.

xu82
01-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Not everyone is Rocky training in Russia.

This is all about attracting students. If the amenities are shit at a college then no one or no one worth a damn will want to attend the school.

Right or wrong, both my kids wanted to see the facilities at schools we toured. They would have a problem considering X in it's current state (as I understand it). UGA, on the other hand, was fantastic in terms of gyms, pools, movie theaters and other non-academic areas. UGA rose to the top of the list for my younger son for that reason. Academics are hard to see and touch like amenities are. Not saying it's wise, but how wise is the average 17 year old?

Xtemporaneous
01-13-2017, 09:00 PM

I LOL'd at this comment. That ridiculous experience also includes being a fan of a great basketball team. Some students only came to X because of the basketball and happened to get a great education in the process.

It's funny but food is a huge part of what students are looking for now. Gone are the days of pushing your tray down the track and getting things from the display case.

Xtemporaneous
01-13-2017, 09:02 PM
Have you seen Miami's fitness center? It's REALLY nice.

Juice
01-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Have you seen Miami's fitness center? It's REALLY nice.

And guess who else built a new place in the last 10 years that is a direct competitor to XU? UD

GoMuskies
01-13-2017, 09:44 PM
How many of these other schools have a pizza ATM, huh?

Check and mate.

XUMIOH12
01-13-2017, 10:05 PM
And guess who else built a new place in the last 10 years that is a direct competitor to XU? UD

yep. For this day and age, Xavier has one of the worst fitness centers around.

American X
01-14-2017, 05:20 AM
Gone are the days of pushing your tray down the track and getting things from the display case.

What was the matter with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGSvkJjc9c

"Can I just massage your thighs while you eat?"

GoMuskies
01-14-2017, 06:25 AM
yep. For this day and age, Xavier has one of the worst fitness centers around.

And that was true 20 years ago

Caf
01-14-2017, 01:16 PM
This. Although the O'Connor opened while I was in undergrad school, so allow me to note it was very nice once upon a time.

While I understand the comments about "spoiled brats" and all, the reality of it is that the facilities war on campuses went way past just sports facilities a long time ago. We have to not only keep up, but, where we can on a unique basis for us, exceed our competition.

Frankly, I'm surprised to read any negative comments about this project, because this facility will really cap out what will become a campus that was probably unimaginable as recently as even 10 years ago.

And Xavier is very tame in terms of these projects. This is the first recreational project I've seen in awhile. The cafeteria and new dormitory were for increased numbers of students. The old cafeteria was always meant to be temporary. All of the other projects (WCB, Alter, learning commons) were all centered around academics. Lastly, 5k a year for food is pretty good if you ask me, and also optional.

X is also unique in that the athletic department isn't a huge drain on the budget.

xudash
01-21-2017, 02:05 PM
From the Biz Journal:

TriHealth, Xavier to team on massive fitness center

Calling it a "fitness center" really doesn't do it justice: Xavier University and TriHealth will build a center on XU's campus that will encompass 100,000 square feet.

In comparison: ...Xavier University opened the 245,000 square-foot (Fenwick Place) complex - second in size only to the Cintas Center.

Whatever it will become, this puppy will be big.

LA Muskie
01-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Lastly, 5k a year for food is pretty good if you ask me, and also optional.

It's about $20/day. I think that's a good deal if you take full advantage of it. Less so if (like me) you never make it in for breakfast...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk