PDA

View Full Version : Kentrevious Jones

Harryfe
12-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Shannon Russell tweeted he is changing schools at the semester. Wonder what that is all about?

Juice
12-19-2016, 10:52 PM
Shannon Russell tweeted he is changing schools at the semester. Wonder what that is all about?

To hopefully improve his grades/academic standing

usfldan
12-20-2016, 02:18 AM
To hopefully improve his grades/academic standing

Yes, according to this article:

http://www.macon.com/sports/high-school/article121827428.html

“I spoke with the Xavier coach (Sunday) night, and the whole thing boils down to having the best opportunity to play at Xavier next year,” Grube said. “This has nothing to do with athletics. It all has to do with academics. He’s got to get a better ACT (score), GPA and so forth. His parents and Xavier’s coaches felt that doing this would give him the best opportunity to play at Xavier, bottom line.”
Read more here: http://www.macon.com/sports/high-school/article121827428.html#storylink=cpy

XUMIOH12
12-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes, according to this article:

http://www.macon.com/sports/high-school/article121827428.html

yeah even before seeing that article i thought this had potentially being a partial/non-qualifier written all over it

bleedXblue
12-20-2016, 09:51 AM
yeah even before seeing that article i thought this had potentially being a partial/non-qualifier written all over it

why?

ArizonaXUGrad
12-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Most of the time that kids transfer schools it is either academic or shoe related. Like it or not, we need this kid active. Gaston exhausts his eligibility, O'Mara isn't fantastic, leaving us with Tyrique who is improving. We are short bodies down low.

why?

Juice
12-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Most of the time that kids transfer schools it is either academic or shoe related. Like it or not, we need this kid active. Gaston exhausts his eligibility, O'Mara isn't fantastic, leaving us with Tyrique who is improving. We are short bodies down low.

The issue with him though is even if he is academically eligible, he may not be physically ready. He has a ton of work to do on his body.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mack go after a 5th year big man.

GoMuskies
12-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I hope he's academically eligible so that he can come in and redshirt (or play a very limited role) and get in the conditioning program. I'm not expecting a thing out of him next year.

XUMIOH12
12-20-2016, 11:32 AM
why?

it's his 3rd HS in a year and you usually don't see someone transfer to a prep type school for their final semester of HS unless its to get grades in order.

Fsince87
12-20-2016, 03:30 PM
What about a junior college player to balance out the 5 freshmen?

muskiefan82
12-20-2016, 03:36 PM
X hasn't done JUCO in a while. Is there a reason for that? 5th year players have been a decent addition. I wonder if X has moved away from JUCO recruits

X-band '01
12-20-2016, 03:45 PM
With the explosion of transfers in the past 10 years (including graduate transfers), it's lessened the need to look at the JUCO ranks.

Look no further than Creighton - they're a team whose entire core (Watson, Huff, and Foster) all transferred into their program.

XMuskieFTW
12-20-2016, 04:06 PM
But Chris Cantino was a fun Juco transfer!

ArizonaXUGrad
12-20-2016, 04:14 PM
He may have been our last for a while, that was a weird ride.

GoMuskies
12-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Did he transfer to BYU?

ArizonaXUGrad
12-20-2016, 05:17 PM
I thought he was a weird qualfiier. NCAA ruled he played in some oddball event during the off season and stripped him of his last year of eligibility.

Did he transfer to BYU?

xukeith
12-20-2016, 05:33 PM
The issue with him though is even if he is academically eligible, he may not be physically ready. He has a ton of work to do on his body.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Mack go after a 5th year big man.

Totally agree or next year is a complete rebuilding year. Kaiser Gates gaining 3-4 inches of height and 30 pounds of muscle would help.

xu82
12-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Totally agree or next year is a complete rebuilding year. Kaiser Gates gaining 3-4 inches of height and 30 pounds of muscle would help.

Huh? By that do you mean not starting in the top 10? Or 25? Next years class is hugely talented, and we'll have a lot of guys coming back. The Browns are rebuilding. We will be young and a bit thin at the 5 position. That's how I see it anyway. I trust Mack to handle things just fine.

bleedXblue
12-20-2016, 08:51 PM
Huh? By that do you mean not starting in the top 10? Or 25? Next years class is hugely talented, and we'll have a lot of guys coming back. The Browns are rebuilding. We will be young and a bit thin at the 5 position. That's how I see it anyway. I trust Mack to handle things just fine.

Exactly. We have some pretty spoiled fans.

XUMIOH12
12-20-2016, 09:37 PM
Exactly. We have some pretty spoiled fans.

no, we on this board just have idiotic comments from xukeith

xu82
12-20-2016, 09:39 PM
no, we on this board just have idiotic comments from xukeith

Well, there's that too.

XMuskieFTW
12-20-2016, 10:08 PM
Quentin Scruggs JP Kaiser Sean with Tyrique Naji Elias Ridder off the bench and probably some sort of 5th year transfer next year. I'd say the outlook next year is a 4-9 seed. I'll gladly take that as "rebuilding"

markchal
12-21-2016, 06:38 AM

I think it depends on if Tre returns but rebuilding or not, it should be a fun team to watch. Definitely need to make the 5 a priority in the next class IMO.

bleedXblue
12-21-2016, 07:27 AM
I think it depends on if Tre returns but rebuilding or not, it should be a fun team to watch. Definitely need to make the 5 a priority in the next class IMO.

Isn't Kentrevious a 5?

markchal
12-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Isn't Kentrevious a 5?

He is, but news of his signing made him seem like a project, so having another highly rated big I think would be crucial to backing up the two joneses.

ReturnOfTheMack
12-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Isn't Kentrevious a 5?

He is but I can tell you right now not to count on him being eligible to participate in games next season. I'm not saying he's going to be ineligible, I'm just saying if you're counting on him being eligible you may not want to bet the house on it. The sole reason for him transferring to the prep school was to improve his academic standing which, by all reports, is not very good right now.

mistabeecee41
12-21-2016, 07:53 AM
What about a junior college player to balance out the 5 freshmen?

Not sure about a JUCO, but i'm sure Mack will pull the trigger on another 5th year immediately eligible guy if possible.

Xville
12-21-2016, 08:06 AM
Quentin Scruggs JP Kaiser Sean with Tyrique Naji Elias Ridder off the bench and probably some sort of 5th year transfer next year. I'd say the outlook next year is a 4-9 seed. I'll gladly take that as "rebuilding"

That's being pretty generous at this stage in the game. Being that Sean has shown nothing so far this year, Q has shown very little, Kaiser has shown little (due to injury I hope), I'm not quite sure where those thoughts come from. JP we can count on, but the rest? They are going to have to take pretty large leaps. Yes some of those freshmen (especially Scruggs) are going to be good, but they aren't Kentucky Or Duke type Freshmen.

If Tre and Sumner leave, I don't understand how anyone can attack XUkeith for saying rebuilding at this stage in the game. Not sure what he meant by complete rebuild, but in my opinion, knowing what we know right now, I think that lineup struggles to get to 20 wins.

throwbackmuskie
12-21-2016, 08:21 AM
Goodin has shown flashes, we he is attacking and confident he is good. Played really good D last night and had some really good passes. I would like to see him drive the ball more, but I think he is going to be very good. The PT he is getting right now is only going to help him down the road.

If Ed and Tre leave after this year we will take a step back, but not a really big one IMO. I think next year X is going to be more of a run and gun type team. More uptempo seems to be the tread we are going. Last night at the end of the 1st half they were pushing the ball and making shots.

UCGRAD4X
12-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Q's minutes will diminish dramatically once Myles gets back to full speed - maybe as soon as the next couple of games. So Goodin won't likely be seeing nearly as much from our conference opponents. That being said, his time in OOC play will help next year and being able to learn from the senior decision making of Davis while observing and in practice will be valuable in a different way.

bleedXblue
12-21-2016, 08:48 AM
That's being pretty generous at this stage in the game. Being that Sean has shown nothing so far this year, Q has shown very little, Kaiser has shown little (due to injury I hope), I'm not quite sure where those thoughts come from. JP we can count on, but the rest? They are going to have to take pretty large leaps. Yes some of those freshmen (especially Scruggs) are going to be good, but they aren't Kentucky Or Duke type Freshmen.

If Tre and Sumner leave, I don't understand how anyone can attack XUkeith for saying rebuilding at this stage in the game. Not sure what he meant by complete rebuild, but in my opinion, knowing what we know right now, I think that lineup struggles to get to 20 wins.

Xavier honestly hasn't had to rebuild in several years. I do agree that if both Ed and Tre leave, that certainly complicates things. We're not even into January. Guys are going to get better..........we will be ok next year. We are Xavier.

Xville
12-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Xavier honestly hasn't had to rebuild in several years. I do agree that if both Ed and Tre leave, that certainly complicates things. We're not even into January. Guys are going to get better..........we will be ok next year. We are Xavier.

True....rebuild may not even be the right word....maybe reset is more like it. I think we take a step back next year if those two leave. It is just way too much talent off the roster, and though we have talent coming in, like I said, it isn't Duke or Kentucky type talent.

xu82
12-21-2016, 09:00 AM
With what may be the best class ever coming in, I'm not going to get too upset. One step back (and a few growing pains) to go three steps forward is fine with me.

XMuskieFTW
12-21-2016, 09:17 AM
We may not have "Kentucky or Duke type freshman" coming in, but we do have two Trevon type freshman coming in at least in ranking. And the versatility of those two is going to help us a lot next year. Naji can play the 1-4 and guard the 1-4 and Scruggs was rated as the best perimeter defender in the class. Couple that with 5 returning contributors and probably a 5th year guy and I'm confident in the core of the team next year. We aren't going to be top 15, but I'd be surprised if we weren't a top 35 team. The biggest concern next year is shooting. Outside JP and Kaiser we're not going to be great shooting unless you expect Harden and Ridder to have solid contributions right away. I think next year is going to be very fun to watch. A very young, raw, talented team with a high ceiling(in terms of how young they are). If Scruggs and Naji can step in an give us 8-12 points game as freshmen I see no reason we won't compete for a top 4 big east spot. Just have to be realistic and not expect a top ten team every year.

throwbackmuskie
12-21-2016, 09:40 AM
I don't think Davis' return will diminish Goodin's minutes too much. Davis is going to need time to get back into game speed, at least a week or two of games.

BandAid
12-21-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm excited by Kentrevious' potential, but it may take 3-4 years for him to reach it, if at all. The question is whether or not he will work hard enough. He could be Jason Love, or he could be Jeff Robinson (in terms of growth and improvement, not skill set/type of game).

His feet already look pretty nimble on offense, so that's a nice starting point. And that size! Gotta love it, even though it needs to be compacted a bit.

throwbackmuskie
12-21-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm excited by Kentrevious' potential, but it may take 3-4 years for him to reach it, if at all. The question is whether or not he will work hard enough. He could be Jason Love, or he could be Jeff Robinson (in terms of growth and improvement, not skill set/type of game).

His feet already look pretty nimble on offense, so that's a nice starting point. And that size! Gotta love it, even though it needs to be compacted a bit.

I think he is already showing he will put in the work. I think I read where he has already lost some weight and this move shows he is willing to do what it takes to get in and play.

ArizonaXUGrad
12-21-2016, 10:15 AM
If we have to discuss next year I will say this...Scruggs is a legit PG. Harden and Marshall are both great players and everything I hear from AAU guy says Ridder is a a great pure shooter. O'Mara is what he is but Jones is showing flashes of what he could become. Goodin is not a bad player at all. My concern for next year is lack of players down low and shooting. We will still have Macura/Gates, but after those two our shooters are limited. 5th year quality guys don't grow on trees especially big guys.

bleedXblue
12-21-2016, 10:15 AM
Look at Butler this year. They lost 2 key players last year and were projected to really not do much this year.

D-West & PO-Z
12-21-2016, 11:04 AM

Problem is it is impossible to predict how these young guys will progress. You are looking at that lineup and making judgments based on how those guys are playing right now. That lineup would be a year from now.

Go back and look at Tu's stats freshman year. No one realized the type of jump he would make to soph year and continue to make each year. Especially just looking at the first half of his freshman year. He and Kwamain Mitchell (from SLU) came in at same time and I remember wishing their freshman years that we had Mitchell on XU instead of Tu. To say now at this time how a lineup next year would look is just pure guessing.

Xville
12-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Problem is it is impossible to predict how these young guys will progress. You are looking at that lineup and making judgments based on how those guys are playing right now. That lineup would be a year from now.

Go back and look at Tu's stats freshman year. No one realized the type of jump he would make to soph year and continue to make each year. Especially just looking at the first half of his freshman year. He and Kwamain Mitchell (from SLU) came in at same time and I remember wishing their freshman years that we had Mitchell on XU instead of Tu. To say now at this time how a lineup next year would look is just pure guessing.

Agree with all of this, we dont know. I just think it was a little ridiculous how some were junping on xukeith's throat for a comment based on what we do know now.

markchal
12-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Agree with all of this, we dont know. I just think it was a little ridiculous how some were junping on xukeith's throat for a comment based on what we do know now.

Agreed. There's no shame in rebuilding if two players leave early for the draft. Anything better than a 8/9 would be terrific IMO but like others have said, it's way too early to make those calls.

I do think you could tell Tu was gonna be a player though. He definitely had moxie and wanted the ball in his hands at the end of games and you don't always see that from freshmen.

xu82
12-21-2016, 07:32 PM
I think the issue was referring to it as a "complete rebuild" (or whatever the exact words were). "Rebuilding" with some serious talent returning and possibly the best incoming recruiting class in school history is not such a horrible thing. The Browns are horrible, the future of X is not. Hyperbole (as a generous characterization, to be fair) can bite you in the ass.

D-West & PO-Z
12-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Agreed. There's no shame in rebuilding if two players leave early for the draft. Anything better than a 8/9 would be terrific IMO but like others have said, it's way too early to make those calls.

I do think you could tell Tu was gonna be a player though. He definitely had moxie and wanted the ball in his hands at the end of games and you don't always see that from freshmen.

I'm not sure I remember that from Tu's freshman year. Maybe the end. So maybe we see that from some of our freshman at the end of this year. I do think we easily blur 1 or 2 seasons, or half a season (see: Chalmers, Lionel) of really good play and we tend to remember that player that way looking back on their whole career.

By the end of this year beginning of next we could see whole new players in Q and Jones.

markchal
12-21-2016, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure I remember that from Tu's freshman year. Maybe the end. So maybe we see that from some of our freshman at the end of this year. I do think we easily blur 1 or 2 seasons, or half a season (see: Chalmers, Lionel) of really good play and we tend to remember that player that way looking back on their whole career.

By the end of this year beginning of next we could see whole new players in Q and Jones.

We could, but I think that's more rare. I think a number of us had higher expectations from Gates, O'Mara and Ed than we really got from our first half of the season, so I don't think we should be hard on our frosh if they don't make a giant leap this offseason. They've already shown some positives in the minutes they've seen, so I've got high hopes long term for them.

I think I remember Tu taking some big shots late in games either in our Thanksgiving tourney or some other big early game. It stood out because it took me by surprise that a freshman on a team with some good players had the balls to make those plays. It wasn't constant but he seemed more confident and aggressive than most of our guards have in their freshmen campaigns.

MauriceX
12-21-2016, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure I remember that from Tu's freshman year. Maybe the end.]

I remember that from his third game in a Xavier uniform. We were playing Mizzou in the Puerto Rico tip-off. It was a back and forth game, but we had this freshman guard named Terrell who kept picking up fouls and going to the line. He was 10-10 from the line, all in the final 7 minutes of the game. He was the reason we won that game. The second game was Dante's half-court buzzer-beater over VT. The third game, Holloway did the same thing against #13 Memphis, leading the team in scoring while going 10-10 from the line.

(Interesting stat... Dante was 1-9 from the field in the VT game, with his only make being the winning basket.)

XUMIOH12
12-22-2016, 12:24 AM
whether he is eligible to play or not next year, I am just hoping that he can at least be at Xavier and able to work out/practice with the team and at least use it as a true RS year.

THRILLHOUSE
12-22-2016, 09:52 AM

From what I remember of Tu's freshman year he had good games in the non-conference portion, especially the Puerto Rico tournament. Then he really struggled during conference play, so much so that Dante Jackson became the starting PG.

XUFan09
12-22-2016, 09:55 AM
From what I remember of Tu's freshman year he had good games in the non-conference portion, especially the Puerto Rico tournament. Then he really struggled during conference play, so much so that Dante Jackson became the starting PG.
Dante started at point guard that whole year, but he may have started playing more minutes there in the conference slate.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

THRILLHOUSE
12-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Dante started at point guard that whole year, but he may have started playing more minutes there in the conference slate.

Tu started 13 games that season. Tu then had some foot issues and struggled in conference play. (from what I remember anyway)

Scroll down for his college stats. http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Tu-Holloway/Summary/10919

XUMIOH12
12-22-2016, 10:35 AM
whether he is eligible to play or not next year, I am just hoping that he can at least be at Xavier and able to work out/practice with the team and at least use it as a true RS year.

this thread has really been derailed

Olsingledigit
12-22-2016, 01:10 PM
We desperately need the height next year.

bobbiemcgee
08-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Any updates on this kid? Play or No? Oh, NM, just read MOR's post in the golf outing thread.

Reading thru this thread is pretty funny tho.

Muskie
08-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Well school starts soon correct? I'm guessing his status resolves itself in the next 6-7 days?

ArizonaXUGrad
08-17-2017, 10:58 AM
I thought the word was that he was finishing a High School class or two and would be ready by semester start. He would still need to be cleared.

Emp
08-17-2017, 11:54 AM
Do we really want another slow moving slow learner of any size? I've been on the case about recruiting big men, but Mack's entire plan of attack on defense is based on quick witted hedging and switching.

XU 87
08-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Do we really want another slow moving slow learner of any size? I've been on the case about recruiting big men, but Mack's entire plan of attack on defense is based on quick witted hedging and switching.

While I hear what you're saying, X usually has one big guy on the floor at all times for rebounding and defense. X also loses 2 of their 3 centers after this year.

xufan2434
08-17-2017, 02:09 PM

Granted, he's not the quickest right now.. But from everything I've read on him is that he was a late bloomer. Mack took him cause of his potential. And the reports say he does have pretty good foot work and great hands. Give him a year on X's campus sitting out to cut weight and get his conditioning right and it'll be a different story. Everything I've seen is that he has a great attitude too and very motivated. Let the chips fall and get working towards 2018-2019

nuts4xu
08-17-2017, 03:07 PM
I thought the word was that he was finishing a High School class or two and would be ready by semester start. He would still need to be cleared.

I think he has to have a certain grade in a certain class he was taking this summer. My understanding is if he gets the grade, he will enter school and eligible immediately. He will most likely redshirt if he does make it to campus, but as others have said, we will know if Big Kent shows up on the first day of school.

Mack loves this kid. If he makes it to campus, he will be groomed for the future.

murray87
08-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Paging Sister Rose.................paging Sister Rose................

sirthought
08-18-2017, 01:48 AM

My answer is...yes. We do want players of any size. But your tact in this comment is really unfair since we haven't seen him in one play with his teammates. ALL big men are slow learners in college (unless you are lottery material), so just get use to the idea that some of these guys will need time to figure out how they best contribute. I'd rather have a couple guys with size than not.

drudy23
08-18-2017, 03:39 PM
The same things were said about The Stain Train.

joe titan
08-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Not really; no one doubted Stain's basketball IQ nor fundamental skills. Those extra lbs he carried and lack of footspeed were detriments but slow learner--never.

drudy23
08-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Not really; no one doubted Stain's basketball IQ nor fundamental skills. Those extra lbs he carried and lack of footspeed were detriments but slow learner--never.

Um...no. Before he got here, there was zero confidence in Stain. No one knew about any of that stuff prior.

X-band '01
08-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Except MOR who tracks St. Edward's alumni (save Steve Logan).

mid major
08-18-2017, 05:51 PM
http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ron-seibel/article122421904.html

So this shines a little light.

LA Muskie
08-18-2017, 06:12 PM

That article's hilarious. KJ is a 3-star recruit with a grand total of 2 offers (XU and UCF). Mack apparently sees a ton of EVENTUAL upside in him -- and I think Mack's earned the right to take flyers on folks. But the notion that he "might only spend a year or two at Xavier before turning his sights toward the NBA" is laughable. Even if he qualifies, he won't see the court next year.

JEHARDI
08-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Agree, this is all about putting him in the best position to qualify academically. Not going to pick up a lot of basketball skill joining a team halfway through the season.

XUGRAD80
08-18-2017, 08:13 PM
The last sentence of the article......middle Georgians will be deprived of being able to watch his final semester. Who,is the writer REALLY concerned about here....the kid or the fans? Seems to me he Igor be more concerned about the fans getting what they want, and not really concerned about what is really best for the kids. Does he even know that Xavier has never even had a one-and-done? That Xavier has such a great record of graduating kids, with REAL degrees? He should have done HIS homework.

joe titan
08-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Um...no. Before he got here, there was zero confidence in Stain. No one knew about any of that stuff prior.

Check Stain's Fr year @ Western Mi b/c he was quite good though overweight. Dropped 25+ on Dayton. Fundamentally always very sound with court presence. When he came to XU during his transfer year he showed all what talent and understanding he had but again his weight issues made it impossible to compete at BE level; still no one could deny his passing skills for a big, his shooting touch & footwork etc. He showed all of that at Western & in his transfer yr.

Masterofreality
08-18-2017, 09:47 PM
Except MOR who tracks St. Edward's alumni (save Steve Logan).

Thanks Band!!

Masterofreality
08-18-2017, 09:57 PM

Actually, Bibb County and Georgia in general- including Atlanta- have a horrible academic situation. It's really a joke.

X-band '01
08-19-2017, 06:03 AM
Check Stain's Fr year @ Western Mi b/c he was quite good though overweight. Dropped 25+ on Dayton. Fundamentally always very sound with court presence. When he came to XU during his transfer year he showed all what talent and understanding he had but again his weight issues made it impossible to compete at BE level; still no one could deny his passing skills for a big, his shooting touch & footwork etc. He showed all of that at Western & in his transfer yr.

He also had a good game as a WMU player against Xavier that same season.

Emp
08-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Stainbrook was a bright guy with weight issues. Best passing big EVER ar X. Good academic background. Reynolds couldn't think ahead more than a nanosecond, despite prep school and red shirting.

Walter has size and the academics. That's an upside worth taking a chance on. IMHO I'd rather we pass on overweight/ academic risk student athletes.

Juice
08-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Stainbrook was a bright guy with weight issues. Best passing big EVER ar X. Good academic background. Reynolds couldn't think ahead more than a nanosecond, despite prep school and red shirting.

Walter has size and the academics. That's an upside worth taking a chance on. IMHO I'd rather we pass on overweight/ academic risk student athletes.

There's a huge difference between academic issues and intelligence. For example, look at what happened with the eligibility of one of IU's top freshmen on their football team yesterday. Often times adults are the cause behind the academic issues whether it's bad advice or they actually don't know what they're doing in spite of their position.

xu82
08-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Did you know he was an Uber driver?

LA Muskie
08-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Yeah Stainbrook showed plenty on the court in his time at Western Michigan. His problem was that he struggled with weight/conditioning. And, surprisingly given his time at XU, with respecting authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaXUGrad
08-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Did I miss something, I think K.Jones is no longer on our roster.

X-man
08-21-2017, 12:30 PM

I think you are right. The roster page has been nicely updated and reformatted, and Big K is nowhere to be seen.

XU 87
08-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Was he ever officially on the roster? As was noted above, he had to get a certain grade in a certain class this summer before he was eligible.

The fact that Walter committed would seem to indicate that Jones didn't get, or the staff doesn't expect him to get, his needed grade.

casualfan
08-21-2017, 12:42 PM
Was he ever officially on the roster? As was noted above, he had to get a certain grade in a certain class this summer before he was eligible.

The fact that Walter committed would seem to indicate that Jones didn't get, or the staff doesn't expect him to get, his needed grade.

Yeah i can't imagine they'd take two projects so similar in back to back classes.

kyxu
08-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Kentrevious was definitely on the university roster page earlier this spring/summer. About a month or two ago, however, he was removed.

xukeith
08-21-2017, 04:32 PM
Kentrevious was definitely on the university roster page earlier this spring/summer. About a month or two ago, however, he was removed.

Politics. Poor grades. Lack of development. Wonder where he will end up?

Hope he lands at at least a MAC school.

LA Muskie
08-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Politics. Poor grades. Lack of development. Wonder where he will end up?

Hope he lands at at least a MAC school.
The issue is academic qualification. So it will have to be prep or JuCo.

kellernr
08-22-2017, 07:24 AM
He still has a bunch of X stuff on his twitter.

Lamont Sanford
08-22-2017, 10:53 AM
What are the odds that Big Kent goes to JuCo or prep school for 17/18 and joins X for 18/19?

XMuskieFTW
08-22-2017, 11:01 AM
What are the odds that Big Kent goes to JuCo or prep school for 17/18 and joins X for 18/19?

I believe if he goes the Juco route, he wouldn't be able to join X until 19/20. Don't see that happening especially with the Walter commit. Prep school is possible, but I'd be surprised at this point if we ever see him at X which bums me out.

kellernr
08-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Heres todays tweetshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170822/89784fbc064139d902538f1b81d414ef.jpg

LA Muskie
08-22-2017, 11:42 AM
I believe if he goes the Juco route, he wouldn't be able to join X until 19/20. Don't see that happening especially with the Walter commit. Prep school is possible, but I'd be surprised at this point if we ever see him at X which bums me out.
It's theoretically possible he ends up at XU even if he goes Prep or JuCo. But in either event, the situation will be completely re-evaluated and will depend on the makeup of our team and our anticipated newcomers. Experience tells me the odds would be VERY low.

XU 87
08-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Those tweets sure make it sound like he's now on the roster.

casualfan
08-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Those tweets sure make it sound like he's now on the roster.

I read it the opposite way

XMuskieFTW
08-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Yeaa. I still assume he's not coming, but I do have hope he may go the Prep route and join us next year.

muskiefan82
08-22-2017, 12:57 PM
When will we know something?

XMuskieFTW
08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
When will we know something?

Should be this week. Classes started yesterday and last day to register is the 27th.

XU 87
08-22-2017, 01:21 PM
I read it the opposite way

You may be right. I was reading it as, "Everyone doubted me and I made it."

After reading some additional tweets, I think you're right.

Chalmers0
08-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Yeaa. I still assume he's not coming, but I do have hope he may go the Prep route and join us next year.

Mostly guessing, but I really don't think the Walter commitment happens if there are any plans for Kentravious at Xavier down the road.

The staff isn't going to want 2 project bigs in the same class.

ArizonaXUGrad
08-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Could be an Ekiyor situation, he comes on mid-season and red shirts. Big Kent would be ready to play 18/19. Nothing about what I have seen from Walter says anything other than a red shirt season also.

Edit: No idea what the rules are here but I like this kid and think in he will succeed in the right situation.

LA Muskie
08-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Could be an Ekiyor situation, he comes on mid-season and red shirts. Big Kent would be ready to play 18/19. Nothing about what I have seen from Walter says anything other than a red shirt season also.

Edit: No idea what the rules are here but I like this kid and think in he will succeed in the right situation.

I think the far more apt Ekiyor analogy is that, for all practical purposes, KJ has been out of the fold for a while now -- but we've been keeping it quiet.

Roadlife
08-26-2017, 12:46 PM
If the kid is as big as his ego ...
https://twitter.com/TheReal_Bigk

mistabeecee41
08-30-2017, 09:32 AM
after the 27th, but he just tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_Bigk/status/902897556669247489

would this mean if is eligible, he would now enroll in the 2nd semester?

AviatorX
08-30-2017, 09:36 AM
No inside info but I'd have the chances of Big K ever wearing a Xavier uniform pretty low right now -- basically 0.1%. The amped up recruitment and eventual commitment of Walter plus Jones not being on campus for the start of classes seem like pretty clear signs.

casualfan
08-30-2017, 10:11 AM
after the 27th, but he just tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_Bigk/status/902897556669247489

would this mean if is eligible, he would now enroll in the 2nd semester?

What'd the tweet say?

It's been deleted.

AviatorX
08-30-2017, 10:17 AM
What'd the tweet say?

It's been deleted.

It said he was ready to get his grade. Tweeted around 930 this morning.

ArizonaXUGrad
08-30-2017, 11:10 AM
I like the guy, I would take him and Walter and let them both develop.

GoMuskies
08-30-2017, 11:22 AM
I would take him and Walter and let them both develop.

Or maybe a cage match, and whichever one comes out gets the scholly.

Masterofreality
08-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Well, Big K just tweeted this 28 minutes ago. Not good looking.

"God Get Me Through The Bad Times ����"

AviatorX
08-30-2017, 12:28 PM
I mean it's been pretty obvious for a while now. Find it hard to believe Jones himself would just be figuring things out now.

Classes have started and he's not on campus or the official roster.

THRILLHOUSE
08-30-2017, 01:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3XPmGO9.jpg

drudy23
08-30-2017, 01:55 PM
I mean it's been pretty obvious for a while now. Find it hard to believe Jones himself would just be figuring things out now.

Classes have started and he's not on campus or the official roster.

This...this isn't surprising to anyone.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

xu82
08-30-2017, 04:15 PM
This...this isn't surprising to anyone.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long.

Strangely, K Jones seems to be the only person who is surprised. Hmmmmm

bobbiemcgee
08-30-2017, 05:40 PM
I guess we can say his status is "no status".

nuts4xu
08-30-2017, 11:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3XPmGO9.jpg

I wonder who was contacting him??

XMuskieFTW
08-31-2017, 06:25 AM

Maybe Chris Mack?

bleedXblue
08-31-2017, 07:11 AM
Sounds like a classic case for Prep school

drudy23
08-31-2017, 07:20 AM
In some way, it seemed like he was "over doing" twitter with the expectation that he would be at X, hoping it would improve his chances of being at X.

Kind of feel bad for him...hopefully he keeps his mind straight and gets done what he needs to get done.

murray87
08-31-2017, 07:40 AM

Paging Hargrave Military Academy.................

Juice
08-31-2017, 07:59 AM

He was at one.

Muskie
08-31-2017, 10:06 AM
Yes... I wonder who...

ArizonaXUGrad
08-31-2017, 11:18 AM
Yes... I wonder who...

Probably just random XU twitter users. I am still holding out a smidgen of hope we get him.

Muskie
08-31-2017, 12:18 PM
Probably just random XU twitter users. I am still holding out a smidgen of hope we get him.

Not so random XU twitter users.

mid major
08-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Yes... I wonder who...

...This is Major Tom to ground control...

American X
09-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Or maybe a cage match, and whichever one comes out gets the scholly.

or tryouts:

http://i.imgur.com/BAizxu4.gif

Muskie
09-01-2017, 08:36 AM
...This is Major Tom to ground control...

The guy that tweeted him is a poster on this board who is "crazy" for XU.

94GRAD
09-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Eastside J?

THRILLHOUSE
09-01-2017, 09:54 AM

To be fair, there were multiple people who tweeted him after his "Where them Xavier fans at?" tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheReal_Bigk/status/900021928601280514

Roadlife
09-19-2017, 10:57 AM
No KJ here.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ3JKUPW4AAWgpr.jpg

ballyhoohoo
09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
No KJ here.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ3JKUPW4AAWgpr.jpg

Isn't that outside the Port Authority in NYC

paulxu
09-19-2017, 04:20 PM
We only had 4 freshmen there.

http://www.goxavier.com/news/2017/9/18/BE_Freshmen_Fundamentals.aspx?path=mbball

SemajParlor
09-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Isn't that outside the Port Authority in NYC

Yes. And Scruggs looks like he got huge.

LA Muskie
09-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Please tell me there aren't still folks holding out hope for a KJ arrival. Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me you're not pinning their hopes on a phone bill...

mistabeecee41
09-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Please tell me there aren't still folks holding out hope for a KJ arrival. Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me you're not pinning their hopes on a phone bill...

he ain't coming. also find it curious he hasn't seemed to land at either a prep school or JUCO yet.

bleedXblue
09-21-2017, 10:59 AM
he ain't coming. also find it curious he hasn't seemed to land at either a prep school or JUCO yet.

I thought I read that he was at a prep school last year

ArizonaXUGrad
09-21-2017, 11:25 AM
I thought I read that he was at a prep school last year

Yeah, I thought he finished his schooling at a prep. I am not sure the exact rule here, but it would seem like he would have to hit the JUCO route this year and transfer to a D1.

Olsingledigit
09-21-2017, 05:29 PM
We only had 4 freshmen there.

http://www.goxavier.com/news/2017/9/18/BE_Freshmen_Fundamentals.aspx?path=mbball

Sounds like a singing group

paulxu
09-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a singing group

Hah! (very few of us are that old)

xuinmd
10-17-2017, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know what happened with him? Google search turns up nothing. No longer on twitter. Could he have been a hoax?

paulxu
10-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I saw him at Dana's one day talking to Sidd Finch.

mid major
10-17-2017, 05:02 PM
I saw him at Dana's one day talking to Sidd Finch.

Dammit! You beat me to it. Finch was a hell of a pitcher for the NY Mets. So good he was on the cover of SI.

nuts4xu
10-17-2017, 06:39 PM
His twitter account is still active but he hasn’t been on since 9/21.

mistabeecee41
11-08-2017, 01:23 PM
CLOSURE. though it's kind of funny it almost seems as if he's acting like it was his decision to leave Xavier.

https://twitter.com/TheReal_Bigk/status/928340668744962048

UCGRAD4X
11-08-2017, 01:46 PM
CLOSURE. though it's kind of funny it almost seems as if he's acting like it was his decision to leave Xavier.

So, he will reopen his recruitment. Then there's still a chance...

(let the unrelenting and irrational speculation commence)

Lamont Sanford
11-08-2017, 02:11 PM
So, he will reopen his recruitment. Then there's still a chance...

(let the unrelenting and irrational speculation commence)

+1. He very well could still be in play for 18-19!

Come to Xavier, Big Kent!

BandAid
11-08-2017, 03:47 PM
+1. He very well could still be in play for 18-19!

Come to Xavier, Big Kent!

We certainly have open spots! I'd be very happy if he was able to re-commit for next year and actually make it to campus (even if it isn't likely).

94GRAD
11-08-2017, 04:18 PM
The big man project scholarship for the '18 class has been filled by Walter. K. Jones is not coming to X.

Juice
11-08-2017, 10:29 PM

Most programs don't like to throw 18-19 year olds under the bus when there is no benefit to do so. Let him phrase it however he wants.

murray87
11-09-2017, 08:02 AM
We certainly have open spots! I'd be very happy if he was able to re-commit for next year and actually make it to campus (even if it isn't likely).

And we love players that "mature" for a year at prep school!

McX
11-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Most programs don't like to throw 18-19 year olds under the bus when there is no benefit to do so. Let him phrase it however he wants.

I agree, let him save face and put his own spin on it.

XU 87
11-09-2017, 02:31 PM
What happened to Emp's post and Xeus' witty response?