PDA

View Full Version : Monsoon Season in the Ohio Valley

nuts4xu
08-17-2016, 08:56 AM
I am ready for our annual August drought to start any time now. The rain can stop any time now, I am over it.

Is this rainy summer the result of global warming?

I know Arizona has monsoon season, and its been hot as motherfu**er here lately, but I didn't think the Ohio valley was turning into a desert.

This is getting ridiculous!

GoMuskies
08-17-2016, 09:48 AM
Wait, the Ohio Valley is so rainy that it's turning into a desert?!?

GIMMFD
08-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Wait, the Ohio Valley is so rainy that it's turning into a desert?!?

Yeah, I'm with GoMuskies on this one, very confused.

ArizonaXUGrad
08-17-2016, 11:23 AM
FYI, Monsoon is actually a twofold shift in the wind direction followed by a change in precipitation. I didn't realize Ohio had this.

Also, the whole state isn't a desert. Much like Oregon, we have a vast part that is desert and another vast part that is covered in trees and mountains.

bleedXblue
08-17-2016, 11:29 AM
We have to be setting record amounts of rainfall in this area for August.

X-band '01
08-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Rain has been very hit-and-miss in this area, and today's no exception.

US Drought Monitor - Ohio (http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?OH)

You go further north in Ohio and you get more areas with moderate and even some severe drought starting to creep in. Is this why MOR is no longer chiming in the Global Warming thread?

nuts4xu
08-17-2016, 01:02 PM
My post was terribly worded. Desert areas rarely have rain, but Arizona definitely has a monsoon season. It's been very hot here lately, and has turned into a very rainy end of sumer. Anderson Twp has had record rainfall.

I'm over it!

X-band '01
08-17-2016, 01:25 PM
It's been humid, yes, but temps themselves haven't been off the charts too much.

But if it makes you and the climate change people feel any better, we may have a snowier winter courtesy of La Nina this year.

Snipe
08-18-2016, 01:47 AM
I have been impressed by the sporadic but yet very violent rain. It doesn't just rain, it comes out of nowhere and pours buckets, and then five minutes later the sun might be shining.

I think the cause of this is global cooling.

drudy23
08-18-2016, 07:42 AM
When's it only 85 and you sweat from the door to the car, that's no fun. This humidity is disgusting.

MADXSTER
08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Played 7 games of sand volleyball last night. FYI it's humid.

nuts4xu
08-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Norwood had 4.5" of rain last night, this summer of epic rainfall totals continues! I almost kayaked into Mt Lookout square last night...

nuts4xu
08-29-2016, 09:59 PM
I also hear the crazy rain messed up Gladdenguy's new Directv system right at the start of the very important preseason Bengals vs. Jags game last night. Big Fella was not happy!

Smails
08-30-2016, 07:47 AM
I have 3 friends in 3 different areas of the city who are dealing with 'water in the basement issues'. None of them live in the flooded areas and all three are going to end up taking it in the shorts$$$. On the bright side we should have one heck of a fall color season with all of this rain.

nuts4xu
08-30-2016, 09:28 AM
The rainfall witnessed in Norwood on Sunday night qualified for a "once in 100 years" type event. The greater Cincinnati area is experiencing rain in biblical proportions. I guess they made the right decision by putting the replica of Noah's Ark in northern Kentucky. We may need that bad boy to float our asses out of this valley in the near future.

Kahns Krazy
09-01-2016, 11:32 AM
We were on the edge of the heaviest rain, and were lucky to get away with a very wet carpet in the basement. Neighbors a block away had about 18 inches of shit water back up into their basement. They had just moved into the home this year and had a bunch of stuff still stored in the basement including a lot of sentimental stuff - photo albums, kids crafts, etc. That just blows. The water also burned out their hvac system and washer and dryer, so their house smells like shit and they couldn't do anything about it until the restoration team got there like 48 hours later.

There was a lot of poo covered trash out on trash day.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Phoenix had a 100 year rain storm 2 years ago. I drive a Tacoma, when I drove from working out in the morning the flooding on my way home was almost coming in the door. If I had still had my Subaru, it would have flooded for sure. It was crazy to see all the cars stopped on the road.

The rainfall witnessed in Norwood on Sunday night qualified for a "once in 100 years" type event. The greater Cincinnati area is experiencing rain in biblical proportions. I guess they made the right decision by putting the replica of Noah's Ark in northern Kentucky. We may need that bad boy to float our asses out of this valley in the near future.

nuts4xu
09-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Phoenix had a 100 year rain storm 2 years ago. I drive a Tacoma, when I drove from working out in the morning the flooding on my way home was almost coming in the door. If I had still had my Subaru, it would have flooded for sure. It was crazy to see all the cars stopped on the road.

I have been in Arizona when it rains, and it was a strange experience. Since the area sees rain so infrequently, they don't have gutters and drains. Rain water turns to flood quickly in some of those neighborhoods.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-01-2016, 01:08 PM
We have run off areas that pool water. Really because we don't see rain often, the ground can only soak up so much water. We have gutters and drains that direct water to these pooling areas. When these areas over flow, that is when we are in trouble.

It was crazy, we had roads and intersections that were closed including a portion of the I10 that flooded over cars. Some was entertaining, with a lot of lifted trucks around people were cruising the streets and having some fun blasting through deep washes in streets.

I have been in Arizona when it rains, and it was a strange experience. Since the area sees rain so infrequently, they don't have gutters and drains. Rain water turns to flood quickly in some of those neighborhoods.

X-man
09-01-2016, 01:15 PM
In Palm Springs, they have "washes" to funnel runoff away from houses and streets because much of the ground there, particularly on the mountains, has no absorbing power at all. Hopefully the runoff is directed into the golf courses, of which there seems to be an infinite number.

xudash
09-01-2016, 01:19 PM
If misery loves company, then at least know we're bracing for the bad-side ban of Hermine. Thankfully, we're not in the direct path of it - - Tallahassee and a few other spots appear to be in position for that honor.

Tons of rain, beginning tonight, followed by rain and 40+ MPH winds tomorrow.

Happy Labor Day!

X-band '01
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Kinda amazing that this would be the first hurricane in 11 years to make landfall in Florida, assuming Hermine continues to strengthen as predicted.

Another bright side - Hermine will not be making a direct hit on the Harry Potter theme park further south in Florida.

xudash
09-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Kinda amazing that this would be the first hurricane in 11 years to make landfall in Florida, assuming Hermine continues to strengthen as predicted.

Another bright side - Hermine will not be making a direct hit on the Harry Potter theme park further south in Florida.

We have been extraordinarily lucky.

And on that note...