PDA

View Full Version : Uc In The Cbi

Theo Huxtable
03-17-2008, 12:44 AM
They said over on the UD board that UC has been invited to the new CBI tournament. I don't have any other info other than that.

Theo Huxtable
03-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Invited, and accepting: Virginia, Brown, Ohio, Utah, UNC-Wilmington, Bradley, Houston, Nevada, Washington, Richmond, Cincinnati, and UTEP.

Invited, but declined: New Mexico St.

XU '11
03-17-2008, 01:41 AM
According to the Enquirer's blog, UC will be playing at Bradley on Wednesday night.

XU '11
03-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Their site didn't seem to have the actual bracket up, but here are the first-round matchups:

Richmond at Virginia
Houston at Nevada
Brown at Ohio
Rider at Old Dominion
Cincinnati at Bradley
Valparaiso at Washington
Miami OH at Tulsa
Utah at UTEP

Kahns Krazy
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised this isn't on pay-per-view. Who isn't going to be on the edge of their seat awaiting the crowning of the 97th best team in basketball?

What a sad, sad gorup of teams our crosstown little brother is lumped in with. Brown?

XU Fan
03-17-2008, 01:11 PM
There are 16 teams in the CBI. Will the first round losers hang banners in their gyms next year?

"CBI Sweet 16"

I can't see that tournament lasting very long. It is a bad idea and pretty much everyone agrees.

Muskie
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
the bracket is in this forum via pdf.

Stonebreaker
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
It's a good move for UC to accept. It gives them more practice time, and experience for those returning.
They should have a much different look next year, as they have at least five new faces coming in.

xeus
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm surprised this isn't on pay-per-view. Who isn't going to be on the edge of their seat awaiting the crowning of the 97th best team in basketball?

What a sad, sad gorup of teams our crosstown little brother is lumped in with. Brown?

98th best team in basketball ...

bearcat65
03-17-2008, 02:34 PM
I think most UC fans are already looking to next season and not worried too much about this tournament nor whether or not UC is the 98th team. They did better than expected in the Big East and should be better next year especially if the Hopson rumors pan out which I have little faith in. Not bad given the train wreck Cronin walked in to.

Kahns Krazy
03-17-2008, 03:04 PM
98th best team in basketball ...

Dammit! I'm supposed to be the nitpicker around here! Beaten at my own game.

Of course, you are correct.

ATL Muskie
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Dammit! I'm supposed to be the nitpicker around here!

I guess that makes Brian Gregory the NITpicker.

coasterville95
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Update: if UC can survive 40 minutes with Bradley, they will get to play host to the winner of Ohio/Brown on Monday night.

XU '11
03-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Update: if UC can survive 40 minutes with Bradley, they will get to play host to the winner of Ohio/Brown on Monday night.

Why are they going to host if they are the lower seed?

coasterville95
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Its a strange situation,

What I got from Bill Koch's blog, is that the venue was changed from UC to Bradley at UC's request. The reason wasn't given but many speculate the financial package was not good for home teams in the first round. So, it sounds like UC was a higher seed, but passed on the right to host.

I can't say it better than the UC fan I know who is calling this the NART (Not A Real Tournament).

Bill Koch's blog also confirms UC would host the Quarters if appicable.

BlueGuy
03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
From what I heard on the radio, the schools have to pay $10,000 to play in this tournament.

ATL Muskie
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
From what I heard on the radio, the schools have to pay $10,000 to play in this tournament.

The schools have to pay to play? Is it sponsored by Amway?

Stonebreaker
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I like the fact UC is playing, NCAA, NIT or this thing.

cinskyline
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM
This tournament isn't going to last too long IMO.

wkrq59
03-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I might seem like an old stick in the mud but I find it hard to make fun of UC or any other team making the CIT, despite the fact that over the years many of their fans have been devout practicing a$$holes.
I pretty much feel the same way about Dayton, and UMass, and URI, and Charlotte being in the NIT. And Richmond and Miami in the CIT.
Remember back during Sean's first season as head coach? Remember how everyone--or almost everyone-- was calling for his head? The NIT would have looked pretty damn good back then. I recall several of us kept the vigil to see if X would be included in the field, and we would have but for the jerk from Fordham who openly ripped Xavier on Selection Sunday morning or was it the Saturday before?
Point?
Post season is post season. It's one thing to chortle over making it to the NCAA while Dayton and UC are on the outside looking in again. It's another thing to demean the fact that they made "some tournament."
As long as there is a prize, a chance to keep playing and for the seniors, a chance to prolong their careers, I say, "You go guys. Have fun."
Because that's ultimately is what college basketball, and any other intercollegiate sport for that matter, should be all about.
I'm well aware of all the money to be made. I'm well aware that the debate continues "Should these athletes be paid?" But have fun.
I guess that's why I like the NCAA commercial that ends, "And we are going pro in something besides sports."
Frankly, I'd like to see UC or Miami and Richmond play for that new tournament title and Richmond take 2 of 3.
I'd also like to see any of the four A10 teams do well in the NIT. Really, I like to see the local teams have an NIT title to shoot for, because I remember when Xavier brought the first ever national basketball title to Cincinnati 50 years ago.
I'm conflicted about Dayton winning anything. But at least it would be an A10 brethern winning.
And I really pity the UC fans --if they can be called that--who post on Bill Koch's blog at the Enquirer. Some of them still can't let go of Huggins, who's been gone for three years, and their hatred for Nancy Zimpher.
Life is too damn short to not have fun. Now kick some Bulldog's behind.

GoMuskies
03-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Q, the NIT sucks even when Xavier is in it.

X-band '01
03-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Did I read the bracket correctly when it said the final 2 teams face off in a best-of-3 matchup to determine the champion? Talk about beating and raping a dead horse...

xu95
03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
A team pays 10k to have the home game. Not to play in the tourney.

xu95

xu95
03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Did I read the bracket correctly when it said the final 2 teams face off in a best-of-3 matchup to determine the champion? Talk about beating and raping a dead horse...

Congrats Xband. In the 10 years (or how ever long you have been posting) you have never made me chuckle at one of your posts. But this was damn funny.

xu95

XU05and07
03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
This tournament isn't going to last too long IMO.

CBI is to college basketball as the XFL is to pro football

Lamont Sanford
03-19-2008, 08:04 PM
UC just lost to Bradley 70-67. End the season on a seven game losing streak.

Way to fold the tents boys.

Hahahahaha!

XU Fan
03-19-2008, 08:54 PM
The CBI was a bad idea. The NIT has become a suck tournament. No one cares who wins the NIT, much less who makes the field. The CBI is an order of magnitude worse than the NIT.

Kahns Krazy
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
The NIT still has a very minor amount of interest, in that it's a curiosity to see if the teams that claim they got the shaft from the NCAA's can advance in the NIT.

The NART is worthless.

dethwing
03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
It's at least as worthwhile as the slew of crappy bowl games there are in football.

Which is not saying much, but still...the idea is the same. Give more teams a chance to keep playing.

blobfan
03-19-2008, 09:57 PM
UC just lost to Bradley 70-67. End the season on a seven game losing streak.

That's the danger, isn't it. If you are the #3 team from one of the bottom conferences I can see where the CBI has its draw. But if you are in one of the top conferences, particularly the we-are-SO-better-than-you BCS crew, and you lose the first round, I think you'd have been better off to have stayed away.

What a way to validate your mediocrity.