PDA

View Full Version : Naji Marshall

Juice
07-25-2016, 04:46 PM
This is an important one to monitor for X fans.

https://twitter.com/musketeerreport/status/757690704181297153

https://twitter.com/ijan3_/status/757674949687533568

XMuskieFTW
07-25-2016, 05:25 PM
This is an important one to monitor for X fans.

https://twitter.com/musketeerreport/status/757690704181297153

This kid is really good and really versatile. Would be a perfect piece to the 2017 puzzle. "Experts" seem to think we are favorites, especially if Maryland doesn't offer. Really hope we can land him.

Just saw he followed Pitts student section on Twitter. Panic!

ballyhoohoo
07-25-2016, 09:56 PM
He also follows Mack, Steele, Mercurio, Xavier men's basketball official

Muskie
07-26-2016, 07:43 AM
So Do I. Maybe I'm being recruited.

ballyhoohoo
07-26-2016, 08:12 AM
So Do I. Maybe I'm being recruited.

Wouldn't surprise me, you have sneaky athleticism

XMuskieFTW
07-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Naji took down the tweet about committing on Friday. Looks like he may have jumped the gun a bit.

Muskie
07-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Wouldn't surprise me, you have sneaky athleticism

Freakishly Sneaky.

MauriceX
07-26-2016, 10:13 AM

I just did some Twitter stalking. As far as I could tell, in terms of program follows, he follows 4 XU related accounts (listed above), two Maryland related accounts (haven't offered him), and one Pitt account. Based solely on the Twitter follows, I'd say Xavier is in the lead.

XMuskieFTW
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I just did some Twitter stalking. As far as I could tell, in terms of program follows, he follows 4 XU related accounts (listed above), two Maryland related accounts (haven't offered him), and one Pitt account. Based solely on the Twitter follows, I'd say Xavier is in the lead.

But the one Pitt was within the past 24 hours! Doom!

X-man
07-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Experts at 247 like the Muskie's chances. Link:http://http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Naji-Marshall-at-Eleanor-Roosevelt-147764/CurrentExpertPredictions

ballyhoohoo
07-26-2016, 12:58 PM
I herd he is actually fired up karen

paulxu
07-26-2016, 02:56 PM
I herd he is actually fired up karen

Heh.

xu82
07-26-2016, 05:17 PM
The days when really awesome commitments are announced are some of my favorite days of the year. I'm hoping for a happy spell coming up.

XMuskieFTW
07-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Set to announce at 11 AM tomorrow. Buckle up!

XU-PA
07-29-2016, 05:29 AM

reminds me of,,,,,,,,,

GetUp5
07-29-2016, 09:59 AM
Hopefully we're about a minute away from a huge week!!!! 11am announcement. Probably via Twitter.

GetUp5
07-29-2016, 10:02 AM
BOOM! Mack and co. at it again!! What a great week and a great 2017 class this is.

mistabeecee41
07-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Love it. Mack apparently wants 6 in 2017, and we've got 3 wings. Assuming a PG and some bigs are next priority.

SC in DC
07-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Made it official!! Go Muskies!!

Juice
07-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Love it. Mack apparently wants 6 in 2017, and we've got 3 wings. Assuming a PG and some bigs are next priority.

Scruggs is the PG priority. They've offered a few big men.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Some have him as a tall 2 guard, some sites have him as a small forward. Either way, looks like we are creating a 'Nova 2.0. A bunch of good players 6'4 to 6'7 that can shoot. I am not sure where Ridder fits in with Naji though.

Made it official!! Go Muskies!!

X Factor
07-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Some have him as a tall 2 guard, some sites have him as a small forward. Either way, looks like we are creating a 'Nova 2.0. A bunch of good players 6'4 to 6'7 that can shoot. I am not sure where Ridder fits in with Naji though.

Naji and Ridder are really completely different players. Naji is very versatile, can handle the ball, facilitate, score, etc. while Ridder is right now mostly a spot up shooter. Ridder is an excellent shooter with good size though who will be able to space the floor.

Drew
07-29-2016, 11:24 AM
So Elias Harden tweeted his announcement with the number 4 (Sumner's current number) and Naji with 5 (Bluiett's) current number. So seems they have been told both will be gone.

But more importantly, all we need is a number 1 to have a possible 1-5 starting five.

2: Eddie Ekiyor
3: Quentin Goodin
4: Elias Harden
5: Naji Marshall

Maybe Kris Wilkes will want it?

XU3232
07-29-2016, 11:24 AM
This has been one hell of a week... Naji is a great get. Bring on Scruggs now!

ArizonaXUGrad
07-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Can Harden and/or Marshall handle the ball at all or will that be strickly a Goodin job. We will need another PG after next year.

xufan2434
07-29-2016, 11:41 AM
Can Harden and/or Marshall handle the ball at all or will that be strickly a Goodin job. We will need another PG after next year.

Marshall has shown this summer specifically that he can handle the ball and run point if need be. He's a pretty good passer for how tall and big he is. I think Mack will look to get another PG so that it wouldn't come to this. But I think they'd be fine either way

XUFan09
07-29-2016, 12:17 PM
Naji and Ridder are really completely different players. Naji is very versatile, can handle the ball, facilitate, score, etc. while Ridder is right now mostly a spot up shooter. Ridder is an excellent shooter with good size though who will be able to space the floor.
Yup, those two can complement each other nicely. Keep in mind also that Mack is moving more to a small-ball lineup. It would be easy to put out a lineup with Ridder, Marshall, and Harden.

I love Marshall's versatility with his handle, passing, and rebounding ability.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Xville
07-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Yup, those two can complement each other nicely. Keep in mind also that Mack is moving more to a small-ball lineup. It would be easy to put out a lineup with Ridder, Marshall, and Harden.

I love Marshall's versatility with his handle, passing, and rebounding ability.

Is this something Mack said? Because I think it had much more to do with personnel last year. I see much more of a traditional starting lineup this year with a 6'8 gates who can stretch it a bit, along with a big man in the middle.

Juice
07-29-2016, 12:56 PM
So Elias Harden tweeted his announcement with the number 4 (Sumner's current number) and Naji with 5 (Bluiett's) current number. So seems they have been told both will be gone.

But more importantly, all we need is a number 1 to have a possible 1-5 starting five.

I think it's their high school numbers. I wouldn't read that much into it. That being said, those two probably will be gone.

Juice
07-29-2016, 12:56 PM
Marshall has shown this summer specifically that he can handle the ball and run point if need be. He's a pretty good passer for how tall and big he is. I think Mack will look to get another PG so that it wouldn't come to this. But I think they'd be fine either way

As I stated in the other thread, the staff is recruiting Paul to play PG.

Lamont Sanford
07-29-2016, 01:26 PM

Paul Scruggs will wear #1 if he commits to the Muskies.

paulxu
07-29-2016, 01:30 PM
As I stated in the other thread, the staff is recruiting Paul to play PG.

You're in a lot of trouble if I'm the PG.

X-man
07-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Paul Scruggs will wear #1 if he commits to the Muskies.

Scruggs and Samuels would make a nice recruiting class for 2017. If we were also to get Wilkes, it would our best ever.

bobbiemcgee
07-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Bourbon in the Gatorade bottles.

bobbiemcgee
07-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Top 5 with Naji:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Xavier-has-top-five-class-with-Naji-Marshall-46490874

Scruggs would blow the lid off.

XUFan09
07-29-2016, 02:17 PM
Is this something Mack said? Because I think it had much more to do with personnel last year. I see much more of a traditional starting lineup this year with a 6'8 gates who can stretch it a bit, along with a big man in the middle.
Farr and Reynolds were both highly effective, and O'Mara was a great for a reserve player, so though personnel may have influenced this decision, I'm skeptical of it being the primary motivation. Basketball in general is moving to small-ball and Mack recruits players based on "positionless" basketball.

xufan2434
07-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Farr and Reynolds were both highly effective, and O'Mara was a great for a reserve player, so though personnel may have influenced this decision, I'm skeptical of it being the primary motivation. Basketball in general is moving to small-ball and Mack recruits players based on "positionless" basketball.

I would agree with that. I don't even exactly think its small ball anymore at this point. There are very few good teams now that play 2 traditional bigs at the same time. It's basically extinct in the NBA. I think Mack would like to have it in case he thinks they could have a distinct advantage in the post, but knows he needs wings out there that can score.

Was a pretty good formula for them last year, so I would think he's looking to keep that going.

MuskieCinci
07-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Yeah, we had plenty of size last year but rarely played two bigs together. I think it is just easier to find talented players 6'8" and under, so why not just do that and put out your most talented 5? I think it is smart to head in that direction unless we start getting a bunch of really talented athletic big men.

sirthought
07-29-2016, 03:31 PM
I really know as much as anyone from the postings, but I will point out that Harden said in an interview (Enquirer?) that the staff said they want to develop him as more of a combo guard. So maybe they view him to have potential like Sumner? I guess if he can dribble as well, they can coach up the passing part.

XMuskieFTW
07-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Scruggs and Samuels would make a nice recruiting class for 2017. If we were also to get Wilkes, it would our best ever.

I think the likelihood of us getting Samuels probably went down quite a bit. With Harden and Naji already committed I think he may look elsewhere. Could still see him at X, but think it's probably much less likely now.

mistabeecee41
07-29-2016, 04:33 PM
I think the likelihood of us getting Samuels probably went down quite a bit. With Harden and Naji already committed I think he may look elsewhere. Could still see him at X, but think it's probably much less likely now.

Harden and Naji seem to be on the 2/3 side of the wing - Samuels would be on the 3/4 side of it. This, aligned with what was said earlier about the state of college basketball (see Nova), I don't think selling Samuels on PT would be an issue.

xu82
07-29-2016, 05:43 PM
I LOVE this stuff! Keep it rolling coach! He'll put all the parts together just fine.

XMuskieFTW
07-29-2016, 07:52 PM
Harden and Naji seem to be on the 2/3 side of the wing - Samuels would be on the 3/4 side of it. This, aligned with what was said earlier about the state of college basketball (see Nova), I don't think selling Samuels on PT would be an issue.

I hope so. People seem to think Samuels is very high on us. Land him and Scruggs and we are sitting very nicely.

xudash
07-29-2016, 08:44 PM

Maybe. Well, yes, yes that's true, but I would fly up to watch that game.

XU-PA
07-30-2016, 05:11 AM
Top five??? Awesome!!!

paulxu
07-30-2016, 05:48 AM
Maybe. Well, yes, yes that's true, but I would fly up to watch that game.

I'll buy.

GIMMFD
08-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Top five??? Awesome!!!

"Whole city going crazy, top 5 no debating. Top 5, Top 5, Top 5 and the whole city rate me." - Drake

MHettel
08-03-2016, 01:51 PM
"Whole city going crazy, top 5 no debating. Top 5, Top 5, Top 5 and the whole city rate me." - Drake

Do people realize that Drake used to be on a Nickelodeon show as a kid, before he became this "badass" hardcore rapper? or should I just say "wrapper" because it's just nothing more than an image. lame.

Juice
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Do people realize that Drake used to be on a Nickelodeon show as a kid, before he became this "badass" hardcore rapper? or should I just say "wrapper" because it's just nothing more than an image. lame.

No one considers Drake a "badass hardcore rapper." He's a rapper (and sometimes singer) but not even his fans consider him a badass.

"Smarten up Nas" - Jay-Z, another badass hardcore rapper

ammtd34
08-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Four albums in ten years? I can divide.

Xville
08-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Every pop star....ever. Shame is, some actually have real talent but without their "image" they would have never become popular. Drake is not one of those that have actual real talent though.

Juice
08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Every pop star....ever. Shame is, some actually have real talent but without their "image" they would have never become popular. Drake is not one of those that have actual real talent though.

Ehhhhh, dude can rap his ass off.

xu82
08-03-2016, 07:43 PM
Back to general recruiting stuff, but is there a window for this recruiting/commitment period? What should we be expecting and when? If not now, what's next? Sorry but I'm not well informed on the recruiting stuff, though I love that part of it.

Xville
08-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Ehhhhh, dude can rap his ass off.

Kendrick Lamar can rap his ass off...Drake is a teeny bopper pop star. He is the epitome of image rather than actual substance or talent. I will say though that the guy is one hell of a marketer..so I guess he is talented in that way.

Juice
08-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Back to general recruiting stuff, but is there a window for this recruiting/commitment period? What should we be expecting and when? If not now, what's next? Sorry but I'm not well informed on the recruiting stuff, though I love that part of it.

Scruggs is visiting this weekend and Naji will be here too.

xu82
08-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Very exciting times! Thanks!

GIMMFD
08-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Really didn't think posting Drake lyrics would have caused such a debate, I just thought they fit at the time haha. But good news on Scruggs visiting, these are definitely exciting times to be a Muskie

joe titan
08-04-2016, 08:10 AM

'82 you should realize "commitment" at this point by any recruit is superfluous. The early signing period is sometime early November when Letters of Intent are signed. Until LOI is in hand commitment is at best a good faith sign. Scholarship offers do get pulled and kids change their minds (or see better offers).

xu82
08-04-2016, 08:36 AM
'82 you should realize "commitment" at this point by any recruit is superfluous. The early signing period is sometime early November when Letters of Intent are signed. Until LOI is in hand commitment is at best a good faith sign. Scholarship offers do get pulled and kids change their minds (or see better offers).

Obviously these indications of their intentions are not iron clad, but they are also certainly not unimportant. And it's pretty damn exciting!

MADXSTER
08-04-2016, 08:44 PM

Football commitments are far less genuine. Basketball commitments for the most part are pretty solid.

xu82
08-04-2016, 09:38 PM
And superfluous is a curious choice of words, but.....