PDA

View Full Version : Jared Ridder commits to the good guys!

GIMMFD
06-08-2016, 08:52 PM
Didn't see this anywhere, and if it was posted I'm sorry, but 3 star Jared Ridder committed to us tonight.
He's a 6'5 SF, I guess replacement for Tre next year just in case?? Apparently a really good shooter, here's some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHDJedxy81I

Oh and his recruiting page.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Ridder-85392

XMuskieFTW
06-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Really nice get to start the class.

xu82
06-08-2016, 09:03 PM
A 40% 3PT% in HS isn't too shabby, but I won't pretend to know anything about him. Another shooter with size. Let the trend continue.

RetireFiftyTu
06-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Big shoes to fill wearing #34.

XMuskieFTW
06-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Sounds like he's 6'6 or 6'7 now. Potential to be a stretch 4. I think this commit goes along with how we like to play 3 guards and a combo. He would fit really well in that 4 roll with his ability to shoot from deep and his rebounding abilities.

Emp
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Public reps for the find.

Muskie
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM

Loyd Price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muncie
06-08-2016, 10:03 PM
Looks like a quick release .

Juice
06-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Didn't see this anywhere, and if it was posted I'm sorry, but 3 star Jared Ridder committed to us tonight.
He's a 6'5 SF, I guess replacement for Tre next year just in case?? Apparently a really good shooter, here's some highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHDJedxy81I

Oh and his recruiting page.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Ridder-85392

According to Snow, he's strictly a 4. He's a much worse defender than Tre but obviously a great shooter.

GIMMFD
06-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Public reps for the find.

You know us young kids and social media, found it on Twitter ;)

According to Snow, he's strictly a 4. He's a much worse defender than Tre but obviously a great shooter.
I was just going by the Scout profile, I couldn't tell much other than quick release, and a little size, I think he's 6'7, and not 6'5, but regardless, might need to bulk up a little to be our stretch 4.

X Factor
06-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Yeah, he's definitely right around 6'7 and 205 lbs.

This is an excellent pickup for Xavier. All of the scouts and pundits are calling him an elite shooter in the '17 class.

I know Snow has his opinions but I can see Ridder playing some 3 and 4 at Xaiver. He needs to get stronger, but he's got solid athleticism.

RetireFiftyTu
06-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Loyd Price?

I was going for Stanley Burrell.

XUFan09
06-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Yeah, he's definitely right around 6'7 and 205 lbs.

This is an excellent pickup for Xavier. All of the scouts and pundits are calling him an elite shooter in the '17 class.

I know Snow has his opinions but I can see Ridder playing some 3 and 4 at Xaiver. He needs to get stronger, but he's got solid athleticism.
Like most combo forwards, Ridder is much more appropriate for one position than another, and because he'd struggle to guard a lot of 3s, the 4 is more appropriate after he's done some college level lifting. Now, since we're discussing what Snow said, he did also say he could see Ridder on the wing in certain lineups; it's just dependent on who is around him. I could also see Ridder improving enough on defense and at ball-handling to earn legitimate minutes at the 3, not dependent on certain lineups, but that would probably be like when B.J. Raymond spent a lot of time at the 2 (a combination of experience and good team defense).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

XU3232
06-09-2016, 07:06 AM
We needed a shooter in this class because the other recruits we are going after really aren't great shooters. This is a great pickup and start to the class.

94GRAD
06-09-2016, 07:15 AM

Loyd Price?

I was going for Stanley Burrell.

The answer is obviously Kevin Carr

SemajParlor
06-09-2016, 08:28 AM
I swear I saw JR Rider at first glance.

NY44
06-09-2016, 08:55 AM
6'7 205 is a great build for a shooting SF. He's a little bigger than JP. It would be nice to have him play in a similar manner, especially defensively.

Juice
06-09-2016, 09:02 AM
6'7 205 is a great build for a shooting SF. He's a little bigger than JP. It would be nice to have him play in a similar manner, especially defensively.

He's not like JP at all.

NY44
06-09-2016, 09:03 AM
He's not like JP at all.

Why? Not disagreeing - have just literally seen 30 seconds of him playing.

xukeith
06-09-2016, 09:09 AM
on sites, 6'4, 6'5, 6'6, or 6'7.

I suspect 6'4.5

Muskie
06-09-2016, 09:22 AM
The answer is obviously Kevin Carr

This man wins a beer. How do you collect? Simple. Go to Dana's. Seek a guy named BJ out. Tell him that you won a beer from me. He'll take care of you. Note. This Free Beer is for 94Grad Only (Sorry no exceptions).

Frambo
06-09-2016, 09:23 AM

I suspect 6'4.5

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkXbF5wXAAA3hmz.jpg

he's taller than Mack

Xavier
06-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Good point, Keith. I think I would guess 6'8. Doesn't want to be strictly a PF, a little smaller he can pull off the combo 3/4 thing.

MuskieXU
06-09-2016, 09:39 AM
CM seems to be able to hand pick some of the best shooters in each class and bring them to Xavier, which is a very nice luxury to have. Really looking forward to see how this 2017 class shapes out, it has the potential to give the 2014 class a run for its money.

JTG
06-09-2016, 09:57 AM

Who knows what kind of defender he'll be 17 months from now ? Not all 5 guys on the floor need to be lockdown defenders. Steph Curry isn't a lockdown defender and he's doing more than ok. Somebody needs to be able to score.

Milhouse
06-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Rider is the next curry. confirmed.

paulxu
06-09-2016, 11:24 AM
I wonder if he's ever seen a weight room?

NY44
06-09-2016, 11:41 AM
He's not like JP at all.

Looks like Banners doesn't think the JP comparison is crazy, but I'm still not sure where your hot and confident take is coming from.

As a lanky white kid who can shoot, Ridder will draw comparisons to JP, but I think Trevon is a better comp here. Ridder has an inch or two on Macura, and his positional flexibility skews towards the bucket rather than away from it. Like Trevon, he's a smooth shooter whose offensive game works off of his jumper.

GoMuskies
06-09-2016, 11:55 AM
He's white?!? Well, now I think he's a waste of a scholarship.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 12:11 PM

I suspect 6'4.5
He grew a couple inches in the last year, so some sites are out of date. He's probably 6'6" or his listed height of 6'7", and at Xavier he'll probably be listed at 6'8".

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Looks like Banners doesn't think the JP comparison is crazy, but I'm still not sure where your hot and confident take is coming from.
I don't like the Trevon comparison either (except the comment about turning to his jump shot a lot). Ridder plays off the ball a lot more than either of those guys. To be sure, he is smart off the ball, which allows him to get open for threes or to cut in for layups. He should be a great complementary piece to whichever of the playmaking wings and guards Xavier gets.

Chalmers0
06-09-2016, 12:24 PM
I think Ridder is a very bad comp for anyone on the team or really anyone Xavier has had recently. Assuming Mack can close the other 2017 targets we are in a really good spot with, I think Ridder should fit in very well.

XU 87
06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Why? Not disagreeing - have just literally seen 30 seconds of him playing.

I don't think he is even close to having Macura's athleticism.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I think Ridder is a very bad comp for anyone on the team or really anyone Xavier has had recently. Assuming Mack can close the other 2017 targets we are in a really good spot with, I think Ridder should fit in very well.
Yep.

MuskieXU
06-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Ill be the first to admit that the JP comparison immediately came to my mind, part of that is probably because its an easy comparison to make but I do find their games to be similar. Obviously they both have a quick and fearless shot, but the similarity I saw was a sort of positional awareness that allowed them to use their size and length to make up for elite quickness and create space around the basket to get good easy looks. Bluiett isnt a bad comparison either but I wouldnt expect him to be creating mid range shots off the dribble the way Bluiett does regularly. Regardless, I think both comparisons are fair and true to some extent.

As others have pointed out, however, he is not going to be quite as athletic as either JP or TB so I wouldnt get too far ahead of ourselves with expectations.

94GRAD
06-09-2016, 12:50 PM
This man wins a beer. How do you collect? Simple. Go to Dana's. Seek a guy named BJ out. Tell him that you won a beer from me. He'll take care of you. Note. This Free Beer is for 94Grad Only (Sorry no exceptions).

Hopefully he is there the next time I stop in.

Juice
06-09-2016, 12:52 PM

Because he's 6'7'' not 6'5'' like JP. JP can beat people off the dribble, drive to the hole, and has some hops. Ridder doesn't do those things. In no way am I calling him a bad player, he's just not JP. It's ok.

xudash
06-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Hopefully he is there the next time I stop in.

If he's not there the next time you stop in, are you the ghost, or is he?

You're free metaphysical question of the day brought to you buy $ .25 Schnapps shots nights from a few (or so) decades ago.

paulxu
06-09-2016, 01:10 PM
I tired the "Muskie's buying" routine in Dana's one time.

Epic fail.

(they'd never heard of him)

JTG
06-09-2016, 01:12 PM
He grew a couple inches in the last year, so some sites are out of date. He's probably 6'6" or his listed height of 6'7", and at Xavier he'll probably be listed at 6'8".

Oh, What the Hell, Let's say he's 7'0"and can shoot 3's from mid court.:biggrin:

94GRAD
06-09-2016, 01:20 PM
I tired the "Muskie's buying" routine in Dana's one time.

Epic fail.

(they'd never heard of him)

Who?

NY44
06-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Because he's 6'7'' not 6'5'' like JP. JP can beat people off the dribble, drive to the hole, and has some hops. Ridder doesn't do those things. In no way am I calling him a bad player, he's just not JP. It's ok.

I don't think you called him bad. I'm just always interested in posters/people who know so much about recruits, I'm looking for more info.

I would also argue that at the time of his commitment, few people would have said JP was going to add value by beating people off the dribble, driving to the hole, and having hops. Some still might not say those are his greatest contributions. After all, he does get over 40% of his points from behind the arc.

My main point in saying I hope he plays like JP, "especially defensively", is it would be great to have a dependable 3 point threat who is also dependable on defense. I would hope Ridder's length will make him a defensive asset. Especially in the 1-3-1.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Even from high school highlight videos, it was clear that Macura could beat guys off the dribble, drive to the rim, and display some hops.

Really, there's no good recent comparison to Ridder, but if we had to make one, it would be "if Redford was a forward." I don't like this comparison, but it's just the best of a weak bunch due to the following:

- Elite shooter (Don't take this as my declaration that Ridder will be as good as Redford)
- Midrange pull-up jumper is in play off a bad closeout, probably his main alternative move.
- Spends most of his time off the ball running around screens or just stretching the floor. Strong in this category.
- Not versatile but possesses adequate skills for his position. For Redford, this was passing and ball-handling as a guard. For Ridder, this is rebounding and some scoring off cuts to the rim as a forward.
- Physically not a good defender, but Redford knew how to defend within the system really well and I suspect Ridder will develop that skill too.

Like I said, I don't like this comparison. Xavier hasn't recently had a stretch-4/combo forward who is mostly just a catch-and-shoot guy, so the best comparisons probably lie with other teams.

xu82
06-09-2016, 04:41 PM
I will admit I used to pay more attention counting the number of stars our recruits got from rating services. I'm not totally oblivious to that now, but I'm much better at trusting Mack & company more than some guys who are NOT our coaches.

As for a comparison, maybe Doellman? Great shooter with range (running around like crazy to find an opening) but tall enough to be helpful around the basket, especially after some time in the weight room. (OK, another tall skinny white shooter upon arrival.)

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 04:47 PM
I will admit I used to pay more attention counting the number of stars our recruits got from rating services. I'm not totally oblivious to that now, but I'm much better at trusting Mack & company more than some guys who are NOT our coaches.

As for a comparison, maybe Doellman? Great shooter with range (running around like crazy to find an opening) but tall enough to be helpful around the basket, especially after some time in the weight room. (OK, another tall skinny white shooter upon arrival.)
I only knew Doellman as an upperclassman, when he was a dynamic offensive player, so I can't speak to how he was as a freshman or high school kid. That said, he is definitely more athletic than Ridder.

X Factor
06-09-2016, 04:49 PM
The thing with Ridder is his recruitment had been picking up steam quickly this spring. He had offers from Oklahoma St. and Iowa St., who just offered last week. He is shooting 43% from three on Nike EBYL circuit, against good competition. He's got great size as a shooter.

X Factor
06-09-2016, 04:51 PM
I only knew Doellman as an upperclassman, when he was a dynamic offensive player, so I can't speak to how he was as a freshman or high school kid. That said, he is definitely more athletic than Ridder.

What? Doellman definitely more athletic than Ridder? Where did you come up with that?

Doellman has a couple of inches on Ridder, but Ridder is just as big, probably a little bigger than Doellman was coming out of HS.

I think they're pretty similar athletically. I watched Doellman in HS and his entire X career.

SemajParlor
06-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Recruits don't exist to me until I see them / hear that they played in the blue- white game. I really hate this part of the sport.

xu82
06-09-2016, 04:59 PM

But not like JP (the original comparison) in athleticism or ball handling. I honestly was surprised by my extensive film review (several seconds of YouTube video) with how well Ridder moved to the basket. He's a danger from the arc, or near the basket, but not likely to connect the dots. And big enough to rebound some. That's how I think of Doellman.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 07:14 PM
What? Doellman definitely more athletic than Ridder? Where did you come up with that?

Doellman has a couple of inches on Ridder, but Ridder is just as big, probably a little bigger than Doellman was coming out of HS.

I think they're pretty similar athletically. I watched Doellman in HS and his entire X career.
Doellman being more athletic than Ridder says more about Ridder than it does about Doellman. Doellman wasn't athletic but he wasn't unathletic either; he had great body control and decent ups.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 07:21 PM
But not like JP (the original comparison) in athleticism or ball handling. I honestly was surprised by my extensive film review (several seconds of YouTube video) with how well Ridder moved to the basket. He's a danger from the arc, or near the basket, but not likely to connect the dots. And big enough to rebound some. That's how I think of Doellman.

Yeah, JP is truly athletic rather than just not unathletic. I agree that Ridder moves well to the basket. I think that's one of his strengths, moving well off the ball, and I think it will serve him well, as he probably isn't going to be directly handling the ball a lot. That's actually what made me think of Redford, as Redford was really good moving off the ball. Because of Ridder's size, though, his cuts to the basket can prove far more effective than they would have for Redford.

X-ceptional
06-09-2016, 08:53 PM
- Physically not a good defender, but Redford knew how to defend within the system really well and I suspect Ridder will develop that skill too.

09, surely you're not questioning Brad "The Eraser" Redford's physicality on defense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYmGoIiYXJI

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MADXSTER
06-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Until Ridder moons a cop, there is and never will be a comparison to JP Macura!!

xu82
06-09-2016, 08:58 PM
Until Ridder moons a cop, there is and never will be a comparison to JP Macura!!

That's a very high bar.

Or a very low belt.

XUFan09
06-09-2016, 09:20 PM
09, surely you're not questioning Brad "The Eraser" Redford's physicality on defense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYmGoIiYXJI

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I don't care how bad that season was; that is easily one of my favorite moments in Xavier history!

STL_XUfan
06-10-2016, 07:49 AM
until ridder moons a cop, there is and never will be a comparison to the fox!!

ftfy

NY44
06-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Like I said, I don't like this comparison. Xavier hasn't recently had a stretch-4/combo forward who is mostly just a catch-and-shoot guy, so the best comparisons probably lie with other teams.

Griffin McKenzie and James Farr pre-last season?

SC in DC
06-10-2016, 09:42 AM
If this guy has Doellman's ball IQ, or even close to it--and with his shooting, he will be a VERY good addition! Trust Mack.

XUFan09
06-10-2016, 10:42 AM
Griffin McKenzie and James Farr pre-last season?
I don't count a guy who basically didn't see the floor, and Farr was an excellent rebounder on both sides of the court. Thus, his offensive impact was greater than just being a catch-and-shoot guy.

BandAid
06-10-2016, 10:55 AM
He looks like a guy you'd see play for Wisconsin.

GoMuskies
06-10-2016, 11:06 AM
He looks like a guy you'd see play for Wisconsin.

Fuck Wisconsin.

MuskieCinci
06-10-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't count a guy who basically didn't see the floor, and Farr was an excellent rebounder on both sides of the court. Thus, his offensive impact was greater than just being a catch-and-shoot guy.

I'm 95% sure both those guys were considered centers by the staff that just happened to be able to shoot, I doubt Ridder ever plays center. I'll assume he will be used as a small ball power forward who is meant to stretch the floor and clear out the lane for drives or a post up by the more traditional big.

Xuperman
06-10-2016, 12:33 PM
I can see the aformentioned comparisons, but he looks Kevin Frey-ish at this early book.....:-)

Xuperman
06-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Hoping he can be a Doelman with a splash of Sato/Posey eh??

XUFan09
06-10-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm 95% sure both those guys were considered centers by the staff that just happened to be able to shoot, I doubt Ridder ever plays center. I'll assume he will be used as a small ball power forward who is meant to stretch the floor and clear out the lane for drives or a post up by the more traditional big.
Yeah, I didn't even want to get into the positional arguments, but that's true too. McKenzie may have been considered a 4/5, but again, he didn't see the court. Farr was really a 5, but was pushed out of position by other players much of the time until his senior year.

X Factor
06-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Most recent highlights on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWACsZinNV4

xu82
06-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Hard to say without also seeing his "Lowlights", but he appears to be able to put the ball on the floor more than I thought from the first video. Encouraging.

Muncie
06-10-2016, 04:02 PM
He must have giant hands from the looks of his off balance shots.

UCGRAD4X
06-11-2016, 06:59 AM
- Elite shooter (Don't take this as my declaration that Ridder will be as good as Redford)
- Midrange pull-up jumper is in play off a bad closeout, probably his main alternative move.
[Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IMHO: This is an important asset (if it is true and I'm not saying it isn't). Too many players that fall in love with the three and when defenders start playing them tighter get in a slump trying to rush / change their shot and don't go to the mid-range to keep the defense honest. They get in the huge slump and try to shoot their way out from behind the arc.

UCGRAD4X
06-11-2016, 07:01 AM
Fuck Wisconsin.

Ditto!

...and anybody that says, "Get over it and move on already!" I reiterate;

FUCK WISCONSIN!

XUFan09
06-11-2016, 09:09 AM
IMHO: This is an important asset (if it is true and I'm not saying it isn't). Too many players that fall in love with the three and when defenders start playing them tighter get in a slump trying to rush / change their shot and don't go to the mid-range to keep the defense honest. They get in the huge slump and try to shoot their way out from behind the arc.
I'm not sure about the extent to which he employs the pullup jumper, but it does appear to be an asset of his from highlight videos, along with sometimes taking it all the way to the rim on a bad closeout. Help defense is much better in college, so I don't know how well taking the ball to the rim on a straight line drive will work for him at the next level.

MauriceX
06-11-2016, 11:55 AM
What about someone like Gordon Hayward? Not to say that Ridder is going to be jumping to the NBA after two years or anything... but Hayward is 6'8" and shot 154 3's compared to 107 2's as a freshman at Butler.

xudash
06-11-2016, 12:22 PM
What about someone like Gordon Hayward? Not to say that Ridder is going to be jumping to the NBA after two years or anything... but Hayward is 6'8" and shot 154 3's compared to 107 2's as a freshman at Butler.

Exactly who I was thinking about. Then the thought of him just pissed me off again and I moved on.

GIMMFD
06-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Exactly who I was thinking about. Then the thought of him just pissed me off again and I moved on.

Absolute cringe. I hate Gordon Hayward with a passion. As long as Ridder comes in and can contribute and develop his game, he will be fine. I trust Mack and the staff to develop talent, as they've done so in the past. If anything, it's a good start to a very important class for us.

XUFan09
06-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Gordon Hayward and Jared Ridder have similar heights and physiques, and they both are good three-point shooters. After that, I just don't see the comparison.

xudash
06-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Gordon Hayward and Jared Ridder have similar heights and physiques, and they both are good three-point shooters. After that, I just don't see the comparison.

Seriously asking: how are they different?

The reason for my question is from my recollection that Hayseed essentially blew up for Stevens; that he turned out to be a great recruiting find. Was he that much better in high school than where Ridder stands today?

XUFan09
06-11-2016, 04:10 PM

The reason for my question is from my recollection that Hayseed essentially blew up for Stevens; that he turned out to be a great recruiting find. Was he that much better in high school than where Ridder stands today?

I don't remember his high school recruiting profile, but just looking at his freshman stats, I don't expect Ridder to match a lot of his production. Hayward got to the line quite a bit and made a solid percentage of his shots inside the arc. He also had pretty good block and steal rates and overall was a good defender. He handled the ball a solid amount too. Overall, Hayward's strength wasn't about one elite skill was rather about being good at everything, which is actually still true today for him in the NBA. A lot can change in the next year before Ridder takes the court for Xavier, but I don't expect him to check off a lot of the same boxes. Just watching the various highlights, Ridder doesn't seem to possess a lot of Hayward's traits that I just listed, and someone would take the time to include them if he did. I mean, maybe he will end up having a good free throw rate like Hayward, but I'm pretty confident we won't see steals or blocked shots a lot from him, because I didn't see a single one in the highlights. Just a lot of jump shots, complemented by layups earned from being in good position off the ball when the pass comes. Heck, even the post move he displayed was just a turnaround jump shot, like that of a high school James Farr.

Even if we're limiting ourselves to Butler players, I would probably say Kellen Dunham before Hayward, even though Ridder and Dunham play somewhat different positions (3/4 vs. 2/3). Dunham as a freshman took a lot of jump shots, with almost 2 out of every 3 shots coming from behind the arc and a lot of mid-range jumpers to go with that. He had a good free throw rate but his actual field goal percentage inside the arc was only okay. He didn't turn the ball over much (probably partly because he didn't handle it much) and he didn't really make a lot of plays for others (8.4% assist rate). He practically never blocked shots and he didn't really steal the ball much. I imagine because of positional differences, Ridder will probably rebound more and get a block here and there, but otherwise, I expect similar things from him (just at the performance level of a reserve player rather than as a starter on a top 50 team).

Just comparing pictures of Ridder to pictures of Hayward as a teenager, though, they do look eerily similar lol.

xudash
06-11-2016, 05:21 PM
I don't remember his high school recruiting profile, but just looking at his freshman stats, I don't expect Ridder to match a lot of his production. Hayward got to the line quite a bit and made a solid percentage of his shots inside the arc. He also had pretty good block and steal rates and overall was a good defender. He handled the ball a solid amount too. Overall, Hayward's strength wasn't about one elite skill was rather about being good at everything, which is actually still true today for him in the NBA. A lot can change in the next year before Ridder takes the court for Xavier, but I don't expect him to check off a lot of the same boxes. Just watching the various highlights, Ridder doesn't seem to possess a lot of Hayward's traits that I just listed, and someone would take the time to include them if he did. I mean, maybe he will end up having a good free throw rate like Hayward, but I'm pretty confident we won't see steals or blocked shots a lot from him, because I didn't see a single one in the highlights. Just a lot of jump shots, complemented by layups earned from being in good position off the ball when the pass comes. Heck, even the post move he displayed was just a turnaround jump shot, like that of a high school James Farr.

Even if we're limiting ourselves to Butler players, I would probably say Kellen Dunham before Hayward, even though Ridder and Dunham play somewhat different positions (3/4 vs. 2/3). Dunham as a freshman took a lot of jump shots, with almost 2 out of every 3 shots coming from behind the arc and a lot of mid-range jumpers to go with that. He had a good free throw rate but his actual field goal percentage inside the arc was only okay. He didn't turn the ball over much (probably partly because he didn't handle it much) and he didn't really make a lot of plays for others (8.4% assist rate). He practically never blocked shots and he didn't really steal the ball much. I imagine because of positional differences, Ridder will probably rebound more and get a block here and there, but otherwise, I expect similar things from him (just at the performance level of a reserve player rather than as a starter on a top 50 team).

Just comparing pictures of Ridder to pictures of Hayward as a teenager, though, they do look eerily similar lol.

Thanks for the input.

In Mack I Trust. We'll see how he develops.

Juice
06-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Hayward is athletic.

paulxu
06-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Better hair?

MauriceX
06-11-2016, 10:52 PM
The reason for my comparison to Hayward started with the face. But then I looked up Hayward's height and weight coming into college. And then I found this video of highlights from Hayward in high school. It is almost all jump shots, with a couple layups. I know it isn't a lot to go on, but strictly comparing X Factors video to this one made me think the two looked pretty similar in terms of where they were coming out of high school. As I stated before, I highly doubt Ridder will blow up and end up in the NBA after two years. But I do think the Hayward comparison is better than any of the comparisons to recent Xavier players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D06tRZCUq9c

X Factor
06-11-2016, 11:06 PM
MauriceX, that's not Hayward in HS. Hayward graduated HS in 2008 and that video is from 2011. I'm pretty sure he had already been drafted by that point.

I don't know if it's a fair comparison. Hayward came into Butler and attempted 8 shots per game as a freshman. He won't be asked to do that at Xavier. Hayward shot it well from 3 as a freshman, 45%. As a sophmore though, he really struggled from 3, only shooting 29% on the season.

He was very versatile though. Gordon's had a very solid NBA career so far.

I think Ridder will turn out to be a very good player for Xavier. We might not see him really start to blossom until his sophmore year.

MauriceX
06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
MauriceX, that's not Hayward in HS. Hayward graduated HS in 2008 and that video is from 2011. I'm pretty sure he had already been drafted by that point.

Well shoot... I just Googled Gordon Hayward High School Highlights and that was really the only good video that came up.

I don't know if it's a fair comparison. Hayward came into Butler and attempted 8 shots per game as a freshman. He won't be asked to do that at Xavier. Hayward shot it well from 3 as a freshman, 45%. As a sophmore though, he really struggled from 3, only shooting 29% on the season.

I don't think he will be as productive as Hayward either. I was just saying that, based on the video alone, it seems like their styles of play are similar.

X Factor
06-12-2016, 12:30 AM
Well shoot... I just Googled Gordon Hayward High School Highlights and that was really the only good video that came up.

I don't think he will be as productive as Hayward either. I was just saying that, based on the video alone, it seems like their styles of play are similar.

I couldn't find any HS highlights of Hayward either. He was basically an unknown coming out of HS. He had very few offers and was ranked a 2 star kid by Scout and 3 star by Rivals.

I get where you're coming from though.

XUFan09
06-12-2016, 01:48 AM
Hayward is athletic.

Yep, this. Among other things. Watching more highlight videos, Ridder does appear slightly more athletic than I originally thought. However, all that might do is put him on a similar level to Doellman in terms of athleticism, which is to say again, "not athletic but not unathletic either."

nasdadjr
06-12-2016, 06:40 AM
No way he can bench 135 right now. He is gonna have to hit the weights hard. Did anyone else find it funny on his 247 timeline that on June 20th this year he took an unofficial visit to osu haha

nasdadjr
06-12-2016, 06:50 AM
But more importantly who in the mix tape is the pg with the wannabe fresh prince of belair will smith haircut who keeps picking up his dribble at half court. I want that guy wearing Muskie blue!!!

sirthought
06-12-2016, 10:17 AM
The outside shot is what is talked about, but in the video he showed a nice little hook and an impressive fall away. I see a much shorter version of Pittsnoggle!

GIMMFD
06-12-2016, 03:46 PM
The outside shot is what is talked about, but in the video he showed a nice little hook and an impressive fall away. I see a much shorter version of Pittsnoggle!

Holy hell I haven't heard the name Kevin Pittsnoggle in years, he had a great college career, if Ridder can perform to that level, we're in for a treat. I mean 41.1% from the 3 in his college career, and 1,700 points, I'll take that any day of the week.

xudash
06-12-2016, 04:23 PM
I couldn't find any HS highlights of Hayward either. He was basically an unknown coming out of HS. He had very few offers and was ranked a 2 star kid by Scout and 3 star by Rivals.

I get where you're coming from though.

The reason for my earlier post. Not so much because of a focus on comparing them, but because I recall Hayward as being an exceptional find for Stevens.

Let's hope our 3-star find works out well.

joe titan
06-12-2016, 10:48 PM
If we are in a comparable game I gotta go old school and say Bill Hoskett.

MuskieCinci
06-13-2016, 02:09 PM
This is all based on my recollection so I could be totally off. If someone has a better memory than I do (or any Butler fans around) please correct me, but I think the reason Gordon Hayward was ranked so low was because his parents didn't want him playing AAU ball, or maybe he just played for a really low ranked team that didn't travel very much. The main recruiting focus for colleges and the evaluators are the big shoe sponsored tournaments. Being an Indiana kid though (and the level at which they were recruiting at the time) Butler was obviously in a position to scout and recruit him without much competition or using a lot of resources. If he was bigger into AAU he would have been much more highly touted going into Butler assuming he still would have picked them.

SemajParlor
06-13-2016, 02:15 PM
This is all based on my recollection so I could be totally off. If someone has a better memory than I do (or any Butler fans around) please correct me, but I think the reason Gordon Hayward was ranked so low was because his parents didn't want him playing AAU ball, or maybe he just played for a really low ranked team that didn't travel very much. The main recruiting focus for colleges and the evaluators are the big shoe sponsored tournaments. Being an Indiana kid though (and the level at which they were recruiting at the time) Butler was obviously in a position to scout and recruit him without much competition or using a lot of resources. If he was bigger into AAU he would have been much more highly touted going into Butler assuming he still would have picked them.

He also had a tremendous growth spurt.

casualfan
07-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Ridder plays on ESPNU today at 2 pm in the Peach Jam final.

They are loaded so he typically doesn't get terribly involved, but still a good chance to see him in action.

Here are his Peach Jam stats so far:

6 points in 22 minutes on 2-5 shooting (0-3 from deep) against King James

0 points on 0-2 shooting against Expressions Elit (minutes were not listed on box score)

0 points in 16 minutes on 0-3 shooting (0-2 from deep) against Team Takeover.

3 points in 19 minutes on 1-6 shooting (1-4 from deep) against LV Prospects

3 points in 18 minutes on 1-6 shooting (1-4 from deep) against Howard Pulley

10 points in 22 minutes on 4-5 shooting (2-3 from deep) against Mean Streets in the quarterfinals

6 points in 17 minutes on 2-6 shooting (2-6 from deep) against California Spureme in the semis

http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/11694209

http://www.nikeeyb.com/games/

XUFan09
07-10-2016, 01:08 PM
I can't remember if it was said in this thread, but Ridder plays with two 5 stars. That's why his involvement is limited on his team.

casualfan
07-10-2016, 01:11 PM
I can't remember if it was said in this thread, but Ridder plays with two 5 stars. That's why his involvement is limited on his team.

Yep. In fact, he doesn't even start for his AAU team.

sirthought
07-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Is it odd that after he does a hard commit to XU on Jun 8, he takes an unofficial visit to Oklahoma State on June 20?

I don't fault someone for wanting to check out a school's campus, but if the recruiting sites are reporting the visit, there must have been some program conversation.

XUFan09
07-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Is it odd that after he does a hard commit to XU on Jun 8, he takes an unofficial visit to Oklahoma State on June 20?

I don't fault someone for wanting to check out a school's campus, but if the recruiting sites are reporting the visit, there must have been some program conversation.
The visit was scheduled before his commitment. When he committed, it was canceled, and I'm guessing the site you are looking at didn't update it.

bobbiemcgee
07-11-2016, 02:37 PM
His team won the Peach Jam U17 - Kickapoo? Sounds like a new chant for UC game.

xu82
07-11-2016, 03:05 PM

I just watched the recording of that game. That is one ridiculous collection of basketball talent! WOW!

bobbiemcgee
12-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Dropped down 40 last nite for 'poo

XUMIOH12
12-23-2016, 12:55 AM
Dropped down 40 last nite for 'poo

yeah he has been putting up some huge numbers so far this season. Anyone know if the competition is anything worthwhile?

XUFan09
12-23-2016, 01:13 AM
yeah he has been putting up some huge numbers so far this season. Anyone know if the competition is anything worthwhile?

It's high school. The competition is always weak, save a game here or there.

Xville
12-23-2016, 06:21 AM
Being from missouri, i can tell you he isnt facing competition much if at all. The good teams are in st. Louis and kc and he is in neither of them. Going to be a q situation where it takes him a minute to adjust.

Harryfe
12-23-2016, 09:36 PM
Brad Redford averaged 37 points per game in h.s. against inferior competition

xu82
12-23-2016, 09:45 PM
We need, and I love, great shooters! AND he can attack the rim, which was never a Brad thing. I've only seen a bit, but more like JP?

Xville
12-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Brad Redford averaged 37 points per game in h.s. against inferior competition

Liked Redford but man i hope this guy is much better than him. Redford really had no business playing in the a10...he was more of a mac or lower type player.

XUMIOH12
12-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Being from missouri, i can tell you he isnt facing competition much if at all. The good teams are in st. Louis and kc and he is in neither of them. Going to be a q situation where it takes him a minute to adjust.

thats what i figured.

XUMIOH12
12-24-2016, 12:13 AM
It's high school. The competition is always weak, save a game here or there.

not always true. But, I figured that was the case out in his area of MO.

xavierj
12-24-2016, 03:45 AM
Liked Redford but man i hope this guy is much better than him. Redford really had no business playing in the a10...he was more of a mac or lower type player.

This guy is 6'7". Big difference than Brad at 6'0"

JTG
12-24-2016, 06:16 AM
This guy is 6'7". Big difference than Brad at 6'0"

Sounds like JP to me. We have always been light on deadly shooters.

XUFan09
12-24-2016, 09:19 AM
He's a three-point specialist. That's not even like freshman J.P.

xu82
12-24-2016, 09:29 AM
He's a three-point specialist. That's not even like freshman J.P.

He can put the ball on the floor though, something Brad didn't even dare try (lest he get swatted in the land of the trees!). I was pleasantly surprised by some clips of him attacking the rim. And yes, we can always use more shooters, especially in coming seasons.

GoMuskies
12-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Sounds a bit like a bigger early days Myles Davis. 3 point shooter+

Juice
12-24-2016, 10:10 AM

He's nothing like JP

XUMIOH12
12-24-2016, 10:36 AM
He's nothing like JP

right, hes nothing like JP or Redford. Just because he is white and can shoot, doesn't mean he is the same player.

XUFan09
12-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Sounds a bit like a bigger early days Myles Davis. 3 point shooter+
Yeah, among recent Xavier players, that's probably the best comparison: Freshman Myles if he was a power forward. The ability to defend will probably be similar too. IMO less talented overall, though.

No doubt there's a better comparison on other teams. It's just easier to bring to mind recent Xavier guys.

Harryfe
12-24-2016, 12:20 PM
My point in comparing him to Redford is that against inferior competition such as Brad had it is a lot easier to average a high number of points. Tre averaged 36 points per game as a senior against what I would call average competition around central Indiana

XfansinKy
12-26-2016, 04:46 AM
Coach Murray compared him to Justin Doehllman.

Olsingledigit
12-26-2016, 08:14 AM
My point in comparing him to Redford is that against inferior competition such as Brad had it is a lot easier to average a high number of points. Tre averaged 36 points per game as a senior against what I would call average competition around central Indiana

I guess it depends on what you consider average. Certainly they played most of the major Indy teams which are not average and then won the state title in 2A which included above average teams. Yes they did play some weak teams also, but overall I would say their schedule was above average in a state with above average teams overall.

bleedXblue
12-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Well that makes me feel good!

He looks like a better deep shooter to me with a quicker release.

XUFan09
12-26-2016, 10:58 AM
I think that's what they hope they can turn him in to, just with more of a focus on outside shooting. I don't think he's as athletic, though.

JTG
12-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Average talent in Central Indiana equal exceptional talent most other places.

XU 87
12-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Do all white recruits have to be compared to Redford?

Xville
12-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Average talent in Central Indiana equal exceptional talent most other places.

True...indiana as a whole is probably one of the five best states in high school basketball...maybe even top 3.

XUMIOH12
12-26-2016, 04:29 PM

when it comes to most Xavier fans, for some reason, yes.

94GRAD
12-26-2016, 04:42 PM

Sean reminds me of a taller worse shooting Brad Redford

XUFan09
12-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Hahaha I love it.

xu82
12-26-2016, 06:45 PM

How do you tell those guys apart?

Harryfe
12-26-2016, 09:57 PM
How do you tell those guys apart?
Naw!! Sean reminds me of Larry Bird

XfansinKy
12-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Coach Mack and staff are getting elite high school recruits. Paul Scruggs is about as good a point guard as any in the nation. Naji is a top 50 recruit that's going to be able to create his own shot with that pull up jumper. I also love that coach Mack signed a big ol true center that won't be pushed around. He's got really good footwork too. It's great to be an X fan.

muskiefan82
12-27-2016, 07:10 AM
I always compare white Xavier recruits to John Shimko.

Pluto
12-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Sounds like my game.

bobbiemcgee
04-16-2017, 11:40 AM
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/sports/jared-ridder-receives-missouris-gatorade-player-of-year-award/690034124

Jared rocking the "X"

xu82
04-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Very nice! Good for him!

bobbiemcgee
04-16-2017, 12:15 PM
right, hes nothing like JP or Redford. Just because he is white and can shoot, doesn't mean he is the same player.

Looks like a taller Jimmy Rayl ( yeah, if you're under 60 you'll have to google "the splendid splinter")

ammtd34
04-17-2017, 02:41 PM
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/sports/jared-ridder-receives-missouris-gatorade-player-of-year-award/690034124

Jared rocking the "X"

Cool video, but who wrote the article? Yikes.

THRILLHOUSE
09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Nothing officially confirmed, but not liking this news:

"@BarstoolReags Source: Freshman Jared Ridder is expected to announce his decision to transfer from Xavier."

https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/911344440274538496

edit - also no mention of X at all on Ridder's Twitter profile anymore.

xufan2434
09-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Nothing officially confirmed, but not liking this news:

"@BarstoolReags Source: Freshman Jared Ridder is expected to announce his decision to transfer from Xavier."

https://twitter.com/BarstoolReags/status/911344440274538496

Wtf?

bobbiemcgee
09-22-2017, 05:24 PM
odd indeed. He'd have to sit out a year. correct?

ArizonaXUGrad
09-22-2017, 05:56 PM
odd indeed. He'd have to sit out a year. correct?

Yes, he showed early and was most likely in class. He would need a release and would sit a full year before playing.

LA Muskie
09-22-2017, 08:38 PM
He will get his release. But he'll have to sit a year. Probably not a horrible result for him regardless.