PDA

View Full Version : Markell Johnson

casualfan
05-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Anybody know if we are pursuing him now that he has reclassified to 2016?

xufan02
05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes, but there is a long list of suitors. I would be surprised if he picks Xavier.

casualfan
05-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Yes, but there is a long list of suitors. I would be surprised if he picks Xavier.

It surprises me a bit that we are going after him after we backed off Simmons to keep Goodin happy.

I wonder what changed.

XUFan09
05-04-2016, 12:39 PM
It surprises me a bit that we are going after him after we backed off Simmons to keep Goodin happy.

I wonder what changed.
Johnson is probably a guy who can play off the ball easily too, as he's simply an athletic freak.

Plus, Goodin already has signed, and that matters.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Milhouse
05-04-2016, 01:25 PM

I wonder what changed.

Goodin is signed now. wasn't in September.

casualfan
05-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Johnson is probably a guy who can play off the ball easily too, as he's simply an athletic freak.

Plus, Goodin already has signed, and that matters.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

As you're aware Simmons is one of the better combo guards (i.e. can play off the ball) in this class.

Goodin being signed makes some sense, but I'm not sure how i'd feel if that is what really made the decision.

"hey, we promise we won't recruit any other point guards...

*mutters under breath*: at least until we get you signed and committed and can break our promise without you having any recourse"

By the way, Simmons did not commit until the late period. Goodin was signed in Novemeber. They could have easily remained in that recruitment had the staff decided to do so. Would be very similar to what they are doing with Johnson (i.e. try to land him after Goodin is locked in).

xufan02
05-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Things have also changed within the program since Kobi Simmons was being discussed; Larry Austin is gone, one less point guard, and Edmond Sumner has played his way into a potential NBA early entrant candidate. If the staff feels that they need to add another guard at this point they are doing it to protect the program if a player gets injured or leaves early.

Like I said in the thread earlier, I don't think he picks Xavier, but he will likely visit. Also, you do not pass up on a top 100 player who has his physical ability.

mistabeecee41
05-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Things have also changed within the program since Kobi Simmons was being discussed; Larry Austin is gone, one less point guard, and Edmond Sumner has played his way into a potential NBA early entrant candidate. If the staff feels that they need to add another guard at this point they are doing it to protect the program if a player gets injured or leaves early.

Like I said in the thread earlier, I don't think he picks Xavier, but he will likely visit. Also, you do not pass up on a top 100 player who has his physical ability.

Precisely. I think this roster desperately needs more speed, so I'm all in for another guard. Ed/Goodin are quick as can be, but that leaves Myles/JP/Tre/Kaiser to split minutes at the 2/3.

casualfan
05-04-2016, 04:37 PM
Things have also changed within the program since Kobi Simmons was being discussed

You're exactly right. Things have changed. But isn't that why it was kind of ridiculous that they bowed out in the first place?

Show me a program where things don't change between the fall and spring signing period and I'll give you a prize.

It just never made much sense to me that they bowed out so early. Hang around and see what happens. If he tries to commit before Goodin signs tell him no and you're no worse off. If things break right and he waits to sign late (like he did) maybe you end up with one of if not the highest rated recruit we've ever signed.

Also, you do not pass up on a top 100 player who has his physical ability.

You know how ridiculous that sounds to tack that onto the back end of a post trying to explain why we passed on a top 25 prospect right?

Oh well. I will give up my campaign on Simmons. It made 0 sense to me then and it makes even less sense to me now, but it is done.

casualfan
05-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Sounds like he might have jumped the gun on reclassifying per a tweet he put out earlier.

RaymondRobinson
05-16-2016, 07:48 AM
Xavier defeated crosstown rival, Cincinnati, in the 2015 Crosstown Shootout!

casualfan
05-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Jerry Meyer thinks he ends up here.