PDA

View Full Version : Gus and Raf

OTRMUSKIE
03-11-2016, 12:33 AM
So yesterday during St Johns game Gus was talking about how awful the refs were and they need to let the kids play. Bill being Bill said well Gus it was a foul. Gus wouldn't let it go he kept on hammering the refs. Today Gus did a 180 and said these Big East Refs are the best in basketball. You think they sat Gus down and told him to STFU? I love Gus and Bill and Jim Jackson is very very good too!

Cheesehead
03-11-2016, 01:16 AM
I think Gus spoke his mind and said what we all thought. 66 FT attempts in one basketball game is way too much. It was ridiculous. Now, he may have had a chat with the powers that be but the refs were more sensible in our game and hence he said they did a great job.

atljar
03-11-2016, 06:53 AM
MMMMMMMM. mmm mmmm MMMMMMMM. - Raftery

Masterofreality
03-11-2016, 07:29 AM
I think Gus spoke his mind and said what we all thought. 66 FT attempts in one basketball game is way too much. It was ridiculous. Now, he may have had a chat with the powers that be but the refs were more sensible in our game and hence he said they did a great job.

Agree with this. I'm glad that Gus spoke his mind. Too many times- especially on that increasingly garbage 4 letter network- the commentators homogenize everything. The St. John's/Marquette game was a "Ref Show" as Maurice so aptly puts it. No one wants to see 66 free throws and it is just bad basketball and entertainment. I thought that all the games yesterday well pretty well done. Even Rutecki in the Hall/Creighton game dialed it back a bit.

D-West & PO-Z
03-11-2016, 07:54 AM
The refs for the most part dont really have a choice, it is what they have been told to do and they are being reprimanded if they dont do it. I'm actually surprised that they stuck with it so long this year, usually they are strict with it in the beginning of the year then it drops off, but if they really want to stop the hand checking etc and allow free flow then they had to stick with it. It is going to be on the coaches and players to correct. I think ultimately it will be good for the game long term assuming the players adjust. If they dont I'm not sure what to say, but I think they will.

OTRMUSKIE
03-11-2016, 07:58 PM
How is it that Raft can do CBS, ESPN, B1G, Fox and NCAA games and Gus is limited to Fox?

TUclutch
03-12-2016, 01:29 AM
Gus is awesome. Jim Jackson is really good. Raftery sucks balls though. Time for him to hang it up and retire

D-West & PO-Z
03-12-2016, 09:13 AM
Gus is awesome. Jim Jackson is really good. Raftery sucks balls though. Time for him to hang it up and retire

You shut your mouth when you are talking to me!

scoscox
03-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Ref show came out to play again last night. Donny Marshall addressed it after the

Masterofreality
03-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Thing is, Raf coached for many years, but his schtick on the broadcast is more to be clever with quips and entertain. He's a great foil for the play by play guy. He knows his role and plays it well.

Jacksonmore the straight up analyst, but I enjoy Raf as the solid change of pace from the serious color guys.

X-Fan
03-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Thing is, Raf coached for many years, but his schtick on the broadcast is more to be clever with quips and entertain. He's a great foil for the play by play guy. He knows his role and plays it well.

Jacksonmore the straight up analyst, but I enjoy Raf as the solid change of pace from the serious color guys.
I couldn't agree more. Love Raf! Onions!!

TUclutch
03-12-2016, 06:17 PM
Can't understand half of what he says.

wkrq59
03-12-2016, 10:05 PM
How is it that Raft can do CBS, ESPN, B1G, Fox and NCAA games and Gus is limited to Fox?

Contracts are wonderful if you, Gabe a good Kingsford