PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want To Play Marquette or St. John's?

American X
03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Who would you rather face in the Big East quarterfinals? Xavier faces the winner of the whitewashed Indian mascot matchup.

Marquette could be a dangerous dark horse with their lottery pick, but would be a better win on the resume than SJU.

St. John's, of 1 win in 2016 fame, should prove an easier foe, but Xavier has not played their best basketball against them and they will do no favors to the efficiency rankings. Maybe the Redmen have just been saving up to bust out on their home floor during the Big East Tournament, an ultimate sneak up on people.

http://marquettewire.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Unknown.jpghttps://sjuonlinenews.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/sjulogo.png

GoMuskies
03-08-2016, 10:10 AM
St. John's. They suck worse. Survive and advance.

xuwin
03-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Marquette, because a loss to them would have a minimal impact on our seeding for the NCAA tournament.

Masterofreality
03-08-2016, 10:27 AM
They're both pussies because they changed their names from Warriors (totally non-offensive) and Redmen (uhhhhh, maybe somewhat offensive...although I'm not offended that I'm called White Man).

Crush them both.

GIMMFD
03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Marquette, let's not damage our resume anymore than we need to if we're still fighting for a one seed.

Masterofreality
03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Marquette, let's not damage our resume anymore than we need to if we're still fighting for a one seed.

I think it's irrelevant. Just win, get to the Final then best Nova.

XMuskieFTW
03-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Marquette. I think St John's matches up better with us. I think both teams would probably be about an equal match for us so I'll take the one who doesn't have a horrible resume.

GIMMFD
03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
I think it's irrelevant. Just win, get to the Final then best Nova.

Well if we lose *knocks on wood* I would be more worried about a loss to St. John's than Marquette, even though both wouldn't look very good you know?

D-West & PO-Z
03-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Marquette because a win would look better as would a loss. If we lose to them I think we remain a 2 seed if we lose to St. Johns that would really be damaging.

I think we will beat either so why not take the better win with less potential for harm in case of a loss?

smileyy
03-08-2016, 12:33 PM
St. John's, because these wins don't matter. Marquette is 105 in the RPI. NGAF about a win over them (except for the fact that its a win)

XUFan09
03-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Marquette. I think St John's matches up better with us. I think both teams would probably be about an equal match for us so I'll take the one who doesn't have a horrible resume.
Yep. Plus, Xavier seems to really not care when they play St. John's (since they're a joke), whereas they'll be focused for a game against Ellenson and Marquette. Because of that, I really don't think the hypothetical spreads would be that different from each other, even if on paper, they should be.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

XUMIOH12
03-08-2016, 01:11 PM
we match up better against marquette, but st johns is so bad. i dont really care who we face because it should be a win either way. With that being said, i would rather see marquette because the W would look a bit better.

xu82
03-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Regardless of match ups, the records tell me St John's is the easier out at this point. I just want to move on. If we have to lose a game, better in the BE Touney than the Dance - that's what counts in my mind.

QueensbridgeMF
03-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Donny Marshall picked us to win the tournament on Fox's preview tonight. Lavin picked Nova. Both had marquette in this one. Because ya know, duh.

Snipe
03-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Marquette played us very strong at the Tas. They led us for most of the game and looked like they could win it. They out rebounded us if I remember right.

They would have been my darkhorse to win this tournament if they weren't playing us.

They would help our SOS, and ST Johns would make it tank. If we play Marquette, Seton Hall and Villanova our SOS will end up around 20th

I want the best that the Big East has to offer, because that is how we get the #1 seed.

Xavier
03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Regardless of match ups, the records tell me St John's is the easier out at this point. I just want to move on. If we have to lose a game, better in the BE Touney than the Dance - that's what counts in my mind.

Oh really?

*Just poking fun.

xu82
03-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Oh really?

*Just poking fun.

That's fair, and true. I think I care less about the BE Tourney than almost anyone here. I'm all about the Big Dance! That's what really counts to me.

EDIT: Having said that, it is a HUGE regret that I will not be present this week, and I hope to correct that next year.

xubrew
03-09-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm pretty sure we're going to be playing Marquette. The Johnnies are so bad that Fordham beat them and they whined about how Fordham left their starters in the game and ran up the score.

I'd rather be playing Marquette, because if a team is whining about how Fordham ran the score up on them, then it kind of makes you wonder what other NYC teams are available to replace the Johnnies as BE members.

Xavier
03-09-2016, 10:11 AM
That's fair, and true. I think I care less about the BE Tourney than almost anyone here. I'm all about the Big Dance! That's what really counts to me.

EDIT: Having said that, it is a HUGE regret that I will not be present this week, and I hope to correct that next year.

I agree, I rarely get mad at a conf tournament loss (when we are an obvious at large, at least). But I do care a little more until we win the Big East tournament. Still, don't care that much. Just looking forward Sunday.

GoMuskies
03-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Johnnies are only 6.5 point dogs. Let's go Redmen!

Tardy Turtle
03-09-2016, 09:12 PM
I'd say St. John's blows goats but I think the goats have too much pride to get themselves in that situation to begin with.

I don't recommend watching this game without a shitload of beer within arms reach.

xu82
03-09-2016, 09:19 PM
I'd be OK with 10-15 overtimes. I'm not proud.

GIMMFD
03-09-2016, 09:48 PM
i'd say st. John's blows goats but i think the goats have too much pride to get themselves in that situation to begin with.

I don't recommend watching this game without a shitload of beer within arms reach.

mick cronin is a goat******