PDA

View Full Version : Big East Tournament bracket (through 3/2/16)

MUBasketball
02-28-2016, 03:43 PM
No changes from last Sunday's bracket:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/BE%20Tourney%202-28-16.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MUBasketball/media/BE%20Tourney%202-28-16.jpg.html)

Snipe
02-28-2016, 04:08 PM
I see they moved the championship game from 8:00 pm to 5:30 on Saturday Night. That will be a quick turnaround. I think that must have happened in the last month.

bjf123
02-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Looks like we could get another shot at Seton Hall. I want that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snipe
02-28-2016, 06:02 PM
I would say the 2 vs 3 slots are set in stone right now, though both have to advance. Slots 4 through 8 are all in flux. Creighton is #4 now, but they could end up substantially lower. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Predictions?

1 Nova
2 Xavier
3 The Hall
4 Providence
5 Butler
6 Creighton
7 Marquette
8 Georgetown
9 DePaul
10 St. Johns

In my scenario the 4 team in is the winner of the 4 vs 5 game Butler vs Providence.

But Butler really needs to beat Seton Hall, and after watching todays game I don't see that as likely. It is a home game though, and Butler has their backs firmly against the wall. Like the cornered animal that we met today, that is not always a happy environment.

In that scenario we would have to defeat Marquette, Seton Hall, and Villanova to win the title if the seeds play out. Winning those games along with the season finale would put us at an RPI of around 2 and an SOS in the mid to low 20s.

That would be a great result, the best one I can imagine.

XUMIOH12
02-29-2016, 09:39 AM
almost impossible to predict 4-8 its so close. tough to get a feel of who we could play in the quarterfinals.

GIMMFD
02-29-2016, 10:36 AM
I want to advance. Play Seton Hall and stomp the living shit out of them.

xu 89
02-29-2016, 10:39 AM
sorry if I missed this but if we end up in a tie with SH who wins the tie-breaker?

THRILLHOUSE
02-29-2016, 10:43 AM
sorry if I missed this but if we end up in a tie with SH who wins the tie-breaker?

Xavier.

"@slrussell Regardless of what happens in the next week, #Xavier is the No. 2 seed in the Big East tournament."

XUMIOH12
02-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Xavier.

"@slrussell Regardless of what happens in the next week, #Xavier is the No. 2 seed in the Big East tournament."

yep, we are the 2 seed no matter what.

X-band '01
02-29-2016, 01:16 PM
We'll see if Butler is able to match up well with Seton Hall; it wouldn't surprise me if Butler beats the Hall twice within the span of a week (at Hinkle and MSG).

GoMuskies
02-29-2016, 02:05 PM
We'll see if Butler is able to match up well with Seton Hall; it wouldn't surprise me if Butler beats the Hall twice within the span of a week (at Hinkle and MSG).

If they beat the Hall, I think they'll end up in the 4/5 game in the BET.

X-band '01
02-29-2016, 02:24 PM
If Butler and Providence both win out and wind up 10-8, Providence would get the 4 seed because of the season sweep over Butler. Creighton is probably going to finish 9-9 with losses at Providence and Xavier, but they're likely going to wind up getting anywhere from a 4 to a 6 seed; I don't see them falling below Georgetown (who would need to win at Villanova in the process) or Marquette (who would need to win at Butler).

GoMuskies
02-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Right, so Butler likely cannot beat Seton Hall twice in a week+. Because those two are NOT going to both be in the championship game.

Snipe
02-29-2016, 05:44 PM
Marquette plays Georgetown in a game that is going to decide who we play. Marquette has a better record and would be better for our strength of schedule and RPI. Playing Marquette, Seton Hall and Nova will do wonders for our RPI.

But Marquette vs Georgetown is our game to watch this Wednesday if you want to scout our first round opponent.

GoMuskies
02-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Marquette plays Georgetown in a game that is going to decide who we play.

Hey man, don't count out St. John's. They've got one of the best shot-blockers in the country!

sirthought
02-29-2016, 09:15 PM
Getting the #2 seed is nice progress for our third year in the league. (#3 in 2014, #6 in 2015)

I always enjoyed the A10, but the tournament was never too exciting. I was more excited to see how XU matched up against a NCAA team they hadn't faced already. Of course, winning the A10 tourney was great fun, but if they lost it wasn't the end of world and the added rest didn't hurt them either at this stage.

Big East matchups have much more weight. Great fun!

GoMuskies
02-29-2016, 09:28 PM
On average, sure, but it's going to take some doing to beat out the 2004 and 2006 A-10 Tournaments. Those are better than anything we've experienced in MSG to date. Hopefully a Saturday night win in 12 day to clinch a one seed will replace those as my top Xavier conference tournament memories.

The Coz
03-01-2016, 12:01 AM
How dare you people attempt to diminish the glory of 2004. That said, i will be at MSG.

The Coz
03-01-2016, 12:03 AM
Also, Muskienick and i are going to Brooklyn to visit birthplace of bernie sanders.

The Coz
03-01-2016, 12:06 AM
The Coz will be arriving by Megabus. It is the easiest way to smuggle trans fats into that fascist state.

Masterofreality
03-01-2016, 06:18 AM
On average, sure, but it's going to take some doing to beat out the 2004 and 2006 A-10 Tournaments. Those are better than anything we've experienced in MSG to date. Hopefully a Saturday night win in 12 day to clinch a one seed will replace those as my top Xavier conference tournament memories.

Only one thing wrong with 2004...the Tournament was held in the dump, with raw sewage swimming about.

That being said, the opportunity to stomp on the mid-court logo-which was well taken advantage of by Pablo- was a singular event.
That is the ONE time where a court storming was not only appropriate, but required.

MUBasketball
03-01-2016, 11:34 PM
Movement since Sunday:

Marquette +1
Georgetown -1

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/BE%20Tourney%203-1-16.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MUBasketball/media/BE%20Tourney%203-1-16.jpg.html)

Snipe
03-02-2016, 12:06 AM
As I predicted in the last thread, we will be playing Marquette.

They are a challenge. I have said before because of their youth they pose a darkhorse threat to win the Big East Tournament. They have the talent to do it, and they nearly beat us at home while they controlled the whole game.

We are gonna have our hands full with Marquette. They have nothing to lose and they are not afraid of us one bit. We need to bring our A game because if I am going to Madison Square I will be pretty damn pissed if we lose our first game.

Myles Davis will lead us to victory.

sirthought
03-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Henry Ellenson rolled his ankle in tonight's MU/GT game. No report yet on how bad it was, but that has to hurt their chances somewhat. That dude has skills. Not sure if it's enough to put St. Johns ahead for our matchup, but nothing would surprise me.

I see several dark horse threats with this conference. I'm confident XU can succeed, but it won't be easy.

Snipe
03-02-2016, 01:02 AM
He gave us fits. They need him badly. I expect him to suit up and see if he can play, and I expect him too. We aren't getting off that easy

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 02:00 AM
Snipe seems to think the reg season is over. I predict that SH wins at Butler tomorrow and it will come down to the BU/MU game on Saturday. MU wins and Butler limps into MSG as the 7 seed.

UCGRAD4X
03-02-2016, 05:37 AM
As I predicted in the last thread, we will be playing Marquette.

They are a challenge. I have said before because of their youth they pose a darkhorse threat to win the Big East Tournament. They have the talent to do it, and they nearly beat us at home while they controlled the whole game.

We are gonna have our hands full with Marquette. They have nothing to lose and they are not afraid of us one bit. We need to bring our A game because if I am going to Madison Square I will be pretty damn pissed if we lose our first game.

Myles Davis will lead us to victory.

You also forget that they will be finishing a game less than 20 hours earlier. We all know that is well below the refresh rate for college basketball (Ellenson's ankle, more so).

THRILLHOUSE
03-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Snipe seems to think the reg season is over. I predict that SH wins at Butler tomorrow and it will come down to the BU/MU game on Saturday. MU wins and Butler limps into MSG as the 7 seed.

Seems likely that Ellenson isn't playing vs. Butler. Gonna be extremely difficult for Marquette to win that one at Hinkle without him.

X-band '01
03-02-2016, 09:32 AM
I'd be surprised if Butler didn't win both games at home this week against Seton Hall and Marquette. It's Butler's turn to go to the whip (to use some of Mel Cooley's Kentucky Derby terminology) against Seton Hall; they lose that one and an NCAA Tournament bid becomes much more difficult to obtain for the Bulldogs.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 09:46 AM
I say SH thrashes the Bulldogs and completely demoralize them. MU rolls into Hinkle well rested and confident coming off the Georgetown game where they shot over 60% and 6 players in double figs. Obviously Snipe is jumping the gun making any prediction with so much basketball left. How about this for a baseless prediction........I like SJU as our draw in the quarters:tease:

xukeith
03-02-2016, 09:51 AM

We should root for Butler to win last 2 home games.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Trying to understand why Butler winning the last 2 benifits X. Maybe it would help our RPI?

GoMuskies
03-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Trying to understand why Butler winning the last 2 benifits X. Maybe it would help our RPI?

If we care about the Big East getting 5 teams in, it benefits us. If we don't care about that (and I think that is a fair position), then it does not benefit us.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 10:10 AM
I would like to see SH and MU in the 3/6 game at MSG. The logic being a based on the SH/BU game tonite. I see the Hall opening a can on the Bulldogs and if they meet again in the 3/6 game, SH would be a big favorite. I am not wanting to see the Pirates again until next year.

xu82
03-02-2016, 10:17 AM
I'd rather have 2-3 BE teams have a decent run in the Tourney than get 5-6 in and not have teams winning most of our games.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 10:34 AM
I still don't get it. Butler sucks. Rooting for Marquette makes total sense to me. If they win Saturday and take care of SH for us at MSG, they get an at large bid to the dance. They have some nice ooc wins and a few impressive BE road wins.

GoMuskies
03-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Marquette's RPI is 108. They have zero chance at an at-large.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Well there is no way there are 107 better teams. They were 10-2 ooc with road wins at Wisconsin and ASU and home against LSU. Lost to Purdue and Belmont which are both probable tourney teams. They also beat Providence twice. It must be the Depaul loss.

GoMuskies
03-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Their OOC strength of schedule is ranked 318 by the RPI.

KenPom likes them a bit better at #96. It likes their non-conference SOS even less, though, rating it #342.

XUFan09
03-02-2016, 11:07 AM
The only way Marquette makes the tournament as an at-large is if 40+ teams self-impose postseason bans.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RoseyMuskie
03-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I say SH thrashes the Bulldogs and completely demoralize them. MU rolls into Hinkle well rested and confident coming off the Georgetown game where they shot over 60% and 6 players in double figs. Obviously Snipe is jumping the gun making any prediction with so much basketball left. How about this for a baseless prediction........I like SJU as our draw in the quarters:tease:

Ellenson is likely out for Saturday. Rolled his ankle, and limped off badly last night.

Don't like MU's chances at Hinkle without him.

Xuperman
03-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Actually I could care less about MU, just saying they would represent the BE better than the Dogs and it is strange that Providence will probably be an at large and they beat them twice.

XUFan09
03-02-2016, 11:47 AM
Actually I could care less about MU, just saying they would represent the BE better than the Dogs and it is strange that Providence will probably be an at large and they beat them twice.
Butler has an excellent offense. They could go on a run if they can put together halfway decent defensive performances (which they sometimes do). And there's nothing strange about a team getting an at-large bid while getting swept by a non-tournament team. Matchups and just plain luck come into play when you're talking about just two games against one team. It's just like how Georgetown was seeded higher than Xavier despite losing to Xavier three times, because they had a better season overall and just matched up poorly with X.

Xavier lost to Seton Hall both times 2 years ago. Is it strange that they made the tournament, but Seton Hall was nowhere close?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

X-band '01
03-02-2016, 12:01 PM
I would like to see SH and MU in the 3/6 game at MSG. The logic being a based on the SH/BU game tonite. I see the Hall opening a can on the Bulldogs and if they meet again in the 3/6 game, SH would be a big favorite. I am not wanting to see the Pirates again until next year.

Not only is Butler is a bad matchup for Seton Hall, Butler is actually a perfect 5-0 against the Pirates since joining the Big East.

Well there is no way there are 107 better teams. They were 10-2 ooc with road wins at Wisconsin and ASU and home against LSU. Lost to Purdue and Belmont which are both probable tourney teams. They also beat Providence twice. It must be the Depaul loss.

Arizona State and LSU were actually played in Brooklyn as part of the Legends Classic - they're nice name wins, but neither team is sniffing the NCAA Tournament without the auto bid. It was actually Iowa that blew out Marquette earlier this year, not Purdue. Had Marquette been able to beat Belmont and DePaul at home, their profile would be devoid of bad losses. Their RPI is taking a beating because of home losses against Belmont, Iowa, Creighton, DePaul even before you add home losses against Villanova, Xavier and Seton Hall.

The Coz
03-02-2016, 06:17 PM
My " " key desnt wrk. Gd thang we have Brew t d the math fr us. Smell the glve!

The Coz
03-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Flagshyp

ThrowDownDBrown
03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
More Big East teams in the tournament equals more money for us, so we should all be rooting for Butler to make it.

muethibp
03-02-2016, 07:29 PM

http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/caring-continuum.jpg

bobbiemcgee
03-02-2016, 07:45 PM
More Big East teams in the tournament equals more money for us, so we should all be rooting for Butler to make it.
1.67 million a game divided by 10 - Go BE!

X-band '01
03-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Marquette will represent the Big East quite nicely in the NIT.

Masterofreality
03-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Marquette will represent the Big East quite nicely in the NIT.

As probably will also Creighton.

MUBasketball
03-02-2016, 10:23 PM
OK guys, my last bracket. Regular season concludes on Saturday. Only five teams are locked into position.

Movement since last night:

Providence +1
Creighton -1

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/BE%20Tourney%203-2-16.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MUBasketball/media/BE%20Tourney%203-2-16.jpg.html)

Masterofreality
03-02-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm OK with this as it sits.

BENWAR
03-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Love the game times!

GoMuskies
03-02-2016, 10:40 PM

Creighton and Butler will change places.

Masterofreality
03-02-2016, 10:46 PM

True. Butler wins Saturday...and we all know what happens to Creighton....

X-band '01
03-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Seton Hall definitely doesn't want to take a chance on Butler again. Amazing that Butler is a perfect 6-0 against those guys.

UCGRAD4X
03-03-2016, 05:14 AM

...with the possible exception of having a #2 in front of our name...yeah...

XUMIOH12
03-03-2016, 07:24 AM
...with the possible exception of having a #2 in front of our name...yeah...

well we cant change that

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
03-03-2016, 09:59 AM

When we beat CU on Saturday, who will we play if Marquette beats Butler. All three will be tied at 9-9. What is he tie breaker rule? Also, I'm assuming Providence takes care of SJU, otherwise there could be a 4-way tie. HELP please.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Honestly, I don't want to see St. Johns in the Gardens. For whatever reason hey give our team fits.

GoMuskies
03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Fair enough, but St. John's has won 1 game in calendar 2016. The odds against them winning two consecutive games are astronomical. I'd LOVE to see them in the QF.

THill42
03-03-2016, 10:25 AM
It's too bad the bracket can't just stay the way it is right now. The possibility of getting Butler in the second round instead of Seton Hall would really be nice given how X has handled Butler this year.

OK guys, my last bracket. Regular season concludes on Saturday. Only five teams are locked into position.

Movement since last night:

Providence +1
Creighton -1

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d15/MUBasketball/BE%20Tourney%203-2-16.jpg (http://s32.photobucket.com/user/MUBasketball/media/BE%20Tourney%203-2-16.jpg.html)

XfansinKy
03-03-2016, 11:00 AM
Quentin Gooding is playing in the East West Ky All Star game. He's still leading his team in the regionals though trying to get to a 2nd straight state tournament. Sorry idk where or how to post new stuff so I just show up out of nowhere like JoJo the circus monkey.

FIGHTING MUSKETEER
03-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Don't know how reliable is this info, but here (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bige/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/MBB_Tiebreakers.pdf) is what I found to be the tie-breaker rule that applied during 14-15 tournament when 3 or more teams are tied. Anyone has the time to figure it out? This is what it says:

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE (3 or more teams)
1. Teams are viewed as a “mini-conference” when comparing head-to-head results.
The team with the best record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference gains the
advantage. The team with the worst record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference is
seeded the lowest.
a. If only two teams have the same best winning percentage in the mini-conference,
the higher seed goes to the team winning the head-to-head series.
b. If the two teams split their two games, then proceed to Step 2 under Two-Team ties.
To seed the remaining team(s) in this mini-conference, proceed to (e) below.
c. If three or more (but not all) teams have the same best winning percentage in the
original mini-conference, then those tied teams create a new mini-conference and
follow this same procedure beginning of Step 1 (Multiple Team Tie).
d. If all teams in the mini-conference have the same mini-conference record, proceed
to Step 2 below.
e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining
teams are ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the miniconference,
then head-to-head results will determine the higher seed.
ii. If the teams split two games, then proceed back to the two-way tie
breaking procedure.
iii. If there are at least three teams remaining tied by their record in the
mini-conference, they would then form a new mini-conference and
follow the procedure again at the beginning of Step 1 (Multiple-Team
Tie).
2. Compare each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest
position in the standings. If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or
group of tied teams in the standings for comparison. Continue down through the
standings until one or more teams gains an advantage. If two teams have the exact same
advantage (i.e., having the same and better record against a compared team relative to
their mini-conference), they are separated at that point by the two-way tiebreaker
procedure. The next step would take you back to Step 1 (e) (Multiple-Team Tie).
3. If more than 2 teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference game only
road records
4. If more than two teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference-games
only road records vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final Conference
regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one team
gains an advantage.
When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s
record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking
procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
If at any point the multiple-teams tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie- breaking
procedures above will be applied. Once a team is eliminated from a multi-team
comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons.
5. COIN FLIP
If any ties still exist after implementing all of the above tie-breaking procedures, a coin flip
is required. The procedure takes place at The BIG EAST Conference office immediately
following the conclusion of the last regular season conference game. Commissioner Val
Ackerman or her designee will administer this procedure. This session is open to the
media and to athletic department representatives of the tied teams.

D-West & PO-Z
03-03-2016, 11:56 AM
I have a baby basics class 3/10 from 6-9pm! Shit!

Phone off and DVR it is.

GoMuskies
03-03-2016, 11:58 AM
I have a baby basics class 3/10 from 6-9pm! Shit!

Phone off and DVR it is.

Dude! Ask your mom to teach you all the things you need to know before the baby arrives. That will take 5 minutes. The rest you will figure out.

D-West & PO-Z
03-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Dude! Ask your mom to teach you all the things you need to know before the baby arrives. That will take 5 minutes. The rest you will figure out.

That is what I said!

Wife didnt go for it.

Snipe
03-03-2016, 09:06 PM
Getting the #2 seed is nice progress for our third year in the league. (#3 in 2014, #6 in 2015)

I always enjoyed the A10, but the tournament was never too exciting. I was more excited to see how XU matched up against a NCAA team they hadn't faced already. Of course, winning the A10 tourney was great fun, but if they lost it wasn't the end of world and the added rest didn't hurt them either at this stage.

Big East matchups have much more weight. Great fun!

Getting the number 2 seed in the Big East is great when you consider that if we win the whole damn thing we may well end up as a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

You couldn't get that in the Atlantic 10 Conference ever.

waggy
03-03-2016, 09:11 PM
That's what Billy Packer thought.

The Coz
03-03-2016, 10:43 PM
That st.joes team ran into a buzzsaw. Happened on snipe's favorite court. Mor would call him a quisling. All i know is he never played the game.

The Coz
03-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Did you know MOR coached 3rd grade girls basketball?

X-band '01
03-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Quisling is my favorite word of the new year.

Masterofreality
03-04-2016, 04:43 AM
That st.joes team ran into a buzzsaw. Happened on snipe's favorite court. Mor would call him a quisling. All i know is he never played the game.

This is true, that traitorous colluder.

Did you know MOR coached 3rd grade girls basketball?

C'mon Coz. Least you can do is get better research. First BW3 Skytop, now this. It was Second Grade girls basketball. I'm following the CMack coaching progression plan though. Start in elementary school, wind up in college. Plan is working perfectly.

THRILLHOUSE
03-04-2016, 09:17 AM
When we beat CU on Saturday, who will we play if Marquette beats Butler. All three will be tied at 9-9. What is he tie breaker rule? Also, I'm assuming Providence takes care of SJU, otherwise there could be a 4-way tie. HELP please.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ccpt_UzWIAEK5pR.jpg:large

Emp
03-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Where are this year's brackets??

JAPER
03-05-2017, 07:46 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/tournaments/conference/BIGE/big-east-tournament-bracket