PDA

View Full Version : Hotels In NYC for the Big East Tournament

Snipe
02-26-2016, 08:27 PM
I am trying to figure out where to stay in the Big Apple.

I am not much of a travel guru. If anyone has any insights on the ways to get a good deal throw it out there.

I also don't know what areas are dangerous, and if it is safe to ride the subways. At what time of day do those get dicey?

The Wall Street distict had some deals on Priceline, and I was guessing that they mainly cater to business people who come during the week. Would that be a bad place to stay? It seems like it would be an easy subway ride up to Penn Station for the games. Might want to cab it back at night though.

I am also intrigued by people that rent apartments. I would love to have a kitchen to make breakfast in.

I am getting excited about going to NYC. I have never been there and I am taking the boys. It should be an experience.

GoMuskies
02-26-2016, 08:38 PM
We're staying at the CitizenM Times Square. Easy subway ride to Penn Station and back. I haven't spent that much time in NYC, but I took a subway from the Bronx back to Manhattan at 1am after a Yankees game and some after game drinking and felt perfectly safe. So within lower Manhattan I assume you'd be fine all night.

xu82
02-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Oy! I'm starting to get sucked into the excitement.

Emp
02-26-2016, 10:53 PM
I've been in NYC often since 2000 for work and leisure. I use the subway or walk 95% of the time because it's quicker and cheaper. Even very late on Saturday night traffic is a mess in midtown, so a cab fare can get up there fa$t. Of course something can happen anywhere, but I've never even been panhandled on the north - south lines.....1,3,9, A,C,E and 4-6., which you would use if you stay in lower Manhattan.

I use Kayak and Trip Advisor for both deals and reviews. We booked some time ago, but found hotels near MSG under 200 a night last year and this. Just my opinion, but anything under 200 in a hotel built in the last 25 years s good value'. Midtown Hotels in older converted townhouses can be cheaper, but mildly distressing when you realize you have mice for roommates. There are some small new hotels going into the Flower District that may have promotional rates or just good deals, about 6 blocks from MSG. STAYED AT INDIGO blue last season, nice new hotel. Small but modern rooms.

WCWIII
02-26-2016, 10:55 PM
Love being in NYC. I've had no problem walking around MSG and 10 or more blocks around midnight after the late sessions to get back to the hotel. You are correct, the weekends at the hotels near the business district can be a bit less expensive ... but NYC anywhere is expensive especially when taxes and other fees are included. But it's relatively quiet in the business district so for a few $10s per night, you might choose mid-town / central park and be closer to where there's much more right out of your door and closer where there are people everywhere. If it's $$ savings that are important, subways are safe and consider staying off Manhattan.

I'd strongly consider staying at the team/fan hotel (Westin/Indigo) just for the extra Xavier fun that will bring. For some reason, the Westin is pricey on that first Wed night, but an average nice hotel price a night the other nights.

As for me, I have some Hilton credits / loyalty program things, so I'll bop around Garden Inns where I get the breakfast included. And then the Waldorf for a night as it's also my anniversary weekend.

As you mention, VRBOs or airBNBs are a good option too especially if multiple bedrooms and a kitchen or something like that would help you enjoy.

Bottom line is that it's likely not going to be cheap, but consider it a vacation where you'll get great bball and a world-class city to enjoy.

xeus
02-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Snipe, my apartment is in the financial district (wall st), and it's a short and easy subway ride on the 1 train to Penn Station/MSG. If you can find a good hotel rate, go for it. Should be cheaper than midtown.

powerofX
02-27-2016, 05:22 AM
I always love heading to New York...lived there for a few years as well. I travel quite a bit for work and stay at Starwood hotels (Westin, Sheraton, etc). I'm not sure what you are looking for with a rate and I haven't looked, but since you mentioned a kitchen for cooking, I'd check out the Element. It's on 39th so easy walk to msg and Times Square (if that's your thing). Each room there has a kitchenette. Fridge, cook top, microwave, sink, and all pots/pans/plates/utensils. I've stayed there a few times and it is a nice clean hotel.

Muskie91
02-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Snipe, try Travelzoo. Signing up gives you the most options (it's free) but we got a $300 4-star room for $150 a night. There are higher and lower than that price point as well. Most anything in Chelsea, midtown east or Times Square is within a 10 minute walk.

Snipe
02-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming! I love all the ideas.

So it seems like the subways are pretty safe even late at night in lower Manhattan?

And the streets are safe too for that 10 minute walk Muskie 91? If we advance we will likely play in 3 evening sessions. I am taking two boys that are gonna be 12 & 14. I was worried that by wearing Xavier gear it will be like a billboard saying come and get it. I know that crime can happen everywhere, I just don't want to be a complete fool.

Thanks for everyone who has chimed in and I welcome all opinions on this. Would also like recommendations on where to take the kids during the day. I want to throw some Frisbee in Central Park on one of the days. Don't really have anything else planned.

Emp
02-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Esp if staying down town, World Trade Center. Memorial, esp the water feature, is awesome, and I generally hate to use that word.

The dinosaurs and planetarium at the Natural History Museum are also kid bait. Hell I still go every other year.

Masterofreality
02-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Subways are fine. Never had a problem.

And Snipester. If you are bringing your boys, take them to the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Air Museum on the river. It is awesome and they would absolutely love it!

Tournament appears to be decent this year. Might be a respectable game or two.

powerofX
02-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies and keep em coming! I love all the ideas.

So it seems like the subways are pretty safe even late at night in lower Manhattan?

And the streets are safe too for that 10 minute walk Muskie 91? If we advance we will likely play in 3 evening sessions. I am taking two boys that are gonna be 12 & 14. I was worried that by wearing Xavier gear it will be like a billboard saying come and get it. I know that crime can happen everywhere, I just don't want to be a complete fool.

Thanks for everyone who has chimed in and I welcome all opinions on this. Would also like recommendations on where to take the kids during the day. I want to throw some Frisbee in Central Park on one of the days. Don't really have anything else planned.

As Emp said, 9/11 memorial is a must. While you are down that way I'd take ferry across the Hudson to Hoboken. There is a waterfront park there which gives you a great view (and pic ops) of the skyline. You can take path train back to midtown or financial district

I'd also recommend walking at least a little bit through the high line. Really cool oasis in the city.

Xville
02-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Throwing my hat in for the 9/11 memorial. It is probably one of the most moving things that I have ever seen, just surreal.

Other cool things...do a water boat tour if not too cold. They take you by the statue of liberty, Brooklyn bridge, Ellis island.

I can't remember if Ellis Island is permanently closed or if it was just closed the last time I was there, but that was really cool too if you are into history.

Emp
02-27-2016, 09:18 AM
The Crcle Line boat tour around Manhattan is nice, but ditto comments on the weather. May be too long with games on tap.

A free water ride leaves from South Street Seaport near WallStreet to the IKEA store in Brooklyn/Red Hook. Goes under the classic bridges, views of governors Island and Stqtue of Liberty both ways. No stops, about 20-25 min each way.

You can just get off and get back on without shopping at IKEA, but it's a cool store to tour just for design. Reasonably priced lunch cafeteria style.

Sadly. FAO SWARTZ closed last summer. Toys for every age.

Snipe
02-27-2016, 06:38 PM
The Crcle Line boat tour around Manhattan is nice, but ditto comments on the weather. May be too long with games on tap.

A free water ride leaves from South Street Seaport near WallStreet to the IKEA store in Brooklyn/Red Hook. Goes under the classic bridges, views of governors Island and Stqtue of Liberty both ways. No stops, about 20-25 min each way.

You can just get off and get back on without shopping at IKEA, but it's a cool store to tour just for design. Reasonably priced lunch cafeteria style.

The EMP just won my post of the day. I love the free water ride, and I intend to take it. I will take more ideas of things to do for free. I intend to do Central Park and the New York Public Library. I am sure that last one caused much excitement in the bones of our readers.

You are a champ EMP!

xeus
02-27-2016, 07:18 PM

I was a buyer for FAO Schwarz for a few years, right before things went south. (I swear, it wasn't my fault!) Real shame to see it all fall apart.

Could not agree more with the ferry to Red Hook and IKEA. Great idea. I wouldn't waste my time actually going to IKEA, since we have the exact same store here in Cincy, but check out the neighborhood. An alternative idea, depending on weather, is to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. If you're staying downtown that's a very manageable walk and a cool way to see the bridge and the city.

The 9/11 memorial is very sobering. It's very New York. It's sad and stunning and important, and no American who finds himself in NYC should miss the opportunity to visit.

The NYPL reading room is one of the great spaces in the world imho.

THRILLHOUSE
02-27-2016, 08:10 PM
I got a good deal for my hotel off Hotwire. Hampton Inn Times Square Central, which is about a half mile from MSG. Was only $116/night when I booked.

Snipe
02-27-2016, 08:29 PM
When you say that, and when others are saying that, are you guys including the ridiculous NYC hotel taxes? I am assuming that is the pre tax quote. I looked at a quote the other night for something in the $150s, but for three nights the total was around $600, which doesn't seem like $150 to me. I guess we are all in the same boat.

When did you get that deal off of hotwire? At first I really wanted to be next to the Garden. After reading people in this tread it doesn't seem to matter all that much, other than if you had the joy of staying at the team hotel (which my kids would love seeing Muskies in the lobby, they would never stop talking about it). It seems like the best deal either in Times Square, Chelsea or the Financial District would work for me. As long as the subways are safe.

I am getting so late in the game their is a risk/benefit. Either prices could spike or I could get some last minute deals. Now early March is not a hot travel season for NYC, so I don't see prices spiking. So I may wait it out and see whether I can get more of a bargain. I may not be right next door to the Garden, which is initially what I wanted, but their should be plenty of inventory left even on the day the tournament starts.

Even the games themselves don't sell out. Last year the most attended game was the semifinal, which had 15K and the Garden holds 18K. It doesn't seem like I need to be in a rush to buy a ticket package. And as teams get eliminated fans with tickets suddenly become available, and sometimes they can be very good tickets indeed.

$116 a night even with taxes is a great rate and a great place to be Thrillhouse. Thanks for the info.

We should all get together for cocktails on a rooftop deck somewhere. That is another thing on my checklist. So lets get to that:

ROOFTOP DECK FOR COCKTAILS

For any of you in the know, what is a great rooftop deck for cocktails, something with a view.

THRILLHOUSE
02-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Yeah that was the pre-tax rate. If you included taxes then it's 150/night. Booked in mid-Jan.

The Coz
03-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Again with the rooftop deck obsession. You are just begging ATL to join this thread.

Snipe
03-06-2016, 12:56 AM
I still haven't made my hotel confirmation. The best rates will come out this week.

Over 50 million people visit New York each year. Now they don't all stay in Manhattan.

Early March is not the high season for New York Hotels. It is still off season rates. They have so much excess capacity that I know I will be able to get a good deal because some hotel will want to get paid.

I have been monitoring the Hotel market for a few weeks now, and boy the prices do come down late in the game. On Friday night I checked out the rates for this Saturday, and the Waldorf Astoria came down to $225 bucks a night, now that was for yesterday, and not next week. But if you wait you could get a 5 star legendary hotel for that price. I am sure a dinner jacket is required to eat that the Hotel, and I doubt I could afford to eat their with the kids in tow anyway, but it would be cool to tell people you are staying at the Waldorf.

So right now I am fixated on two options. I can stay at the team Hotel without Breakfast included, or I can stay at a nice place nearby that has a hot breakfast included. We have 4 in our group, and breakfast in Manhattan would probably cost us mucho dollars unless we go to McDonalds. And hey, I have no pride when it comes to feeding the kids. My kids are also not cultured. If I said "Kids, we are going to New York, and you get to have McDonalds for every meal!" they would say "This is the best vacation ever!"

Now somebody on this tread said that my kids would probably love staying in the team Hotel. Maybe seeing some players in the lobby. And I took that to heart. I bet they would love the Westin. But the Breakfast at the Westin is like $30 for adults and $16 for children, and my 15 year old is 6 foot tall and I doubt he will qualify as children. I could probably get my 13 year old through by saying he was 11 or 12. But I am not wanting to pay that.

So it looks like I am going with a close Hotel that has a free hot breakfast with breakfast meats that they rave about on Trip Advisor. I forget the name. I will have to find that again. I am wondering though how much I am losing with not staying in the team Hotel. They probably have events there, and yes I can still go to those, but how exciting is it to be amongst the faithful and possibly run into Xavier players in the lobby. My kids would get excited just to see that stuff, and how do you put a price on that?

The Westin also has better views, and my kids (hell I want a better view!), my kids would love a nice view from the Hotel.

If I value breakfast for 4 in Manhattan my guesstimate is $60 a day. I got two days so it would be $120. Is it worth it to pay the $120, go to some local restaurants for breakfast and stay in the team hotel? I do want my kids to have the best experience after all.

But the free hot breakfast buffet also allows me to lay in bed and just tell the kids to go get some breakfast without making it into some journey They can go get it and come back to the room. I would love that, and my kids can put away some breakfast meats!

So I am leaning toward the free breakfast. Does anyone have an argument as to why this is wrong? Should I just go for the team hotel and the view for the kids and just eat the breakfast differential? Gonna have to pull the trigger by Wednesday. So I appreciate your thoughts. You guys have already given me some great ideas.

Also, does anyone have a pizza place that they would recommend? I want to get some top of the line New York Pizza!

Weather looks like it may be wonderful. Earlier this week the whole 10 day forecast predicted ran. Now, not so much. If it does rain I will need some rainy day things to do. MOR mentioned the Aircraft Carrier, but my kids already did one down in Corpus Christi. It was awesome but I can't repeat.

I am so excited to go to Madison Square Gardens!

I think we need to have a hook up location before the Friday Night game. Since The Coz is coming with us, I bet he wants a rooftop deck pregames!

kmcrawfo
03-06-2016, 05:34 AM
I still haven't made my hotel confirmation. The best rates will come out this week.

Over 50 million people visit New York each year. Now they don't all stay in Manhattan.

Early March is not the high season for New York Hotels. It is still off season rates. They have so much excess capacity that I know I will be able to get a good deal because some hotel will want to get paid.

I have been monitoring the Hotel market for a few weeks now, and boy the prices do come down late in the game. On Friday night I checked out the rates for this Saturday, and the Waldorf Astoria came down to $225 bucks a night, now that was for yesterday, and not next week. But if you wait you could get a 5 star legendary hotel for that price. I am sure a dinner jacket is required to eat that the Hotel, and I doubt I could afford to eat their with the kids in tow anyway, but it would be cool to tell people you are staying at the Waldorf.

So right now I am fixated on two options. I can stay at the team Hotel without Breakfast included, or I can stay at a nice place nearby that has a hot breakfast included. We have 4 in our group, and breakfast in Manhattan would probably cost us mucho dollars unless we go to McDonalds. And hey, I have no pride when it comes to feeding the kids. My kids are also not cultured. If I said "Kids, we are going to New York, and you get to have McDonalds for every meal!" they would say "This is the best vacation ever!"

Now somebody on this tread said that my kids would probably love staying in the team Hotel. Maybe seeing some players in the lobby. And I took that to heart. I bet they would love the Westin. But the Breakfast at the Westin is like $30 for adults and $16 for children, and my 15 year old is 6 foot tall and I doubt he will qualify as children. I could probably get my 13 year old through by saying he was 11 or 12. But I am not wanting to pay that.

So it looks like I am going with a close Hotel that has a free hot breakfast with breakfast meats that they rave about on Trip Advisor. I forget the name. I will have to find that again. I am wondering though how much I am losing with not staying in the team Hotel. They probably have events there, and yes I can still go to those, but how exciting is it to be amongst the faithful and possibly run into Xavier players in the lobby. My kids would get excited just to see that stuff, and how do you put a price on that?

The Westin also has better views, and my kids (hell I want a better view!), my kids would love a nice view from the Hotel.

If I value breakfast for 4 in Manhattan my guesstimate is $60 a day. I got two days so it would be $120. Is it worth it to pay the $120, go to some local restaurants for breakfast and stay in the team hotel? I do want my kids to have the best experience after all.

But the free hot breakfast buffet also allows me to lay in bed and just tell the kids to go get some breakfast without making it into some journey They can go get it and come back to the room. I would love that, and my kids can put away some breakfast meats!

So I am leaning toward the free breakfast. Does anyone have an argument as to why this is wrong? Should I just go for the team hotel and the view for the kids and just eat the breakfast differential? Gonna have to pull the trigger by Wednesday. So I appreciate your thoughts. You guys have already given me some great ideas.

Also, does anyone have a pizza place that they would recommend? I want to get some top of the line New York Pizza!

Weather looks like it may be wonderful. Earlier this week the whole 10 day forecast predicted ran. Now, not so much. If it does rain I will need some rainy day things to do. MOR mentioned the Aircraft Carrier, but my kids already did one down in Corpus Christi. It was awesome but I can't repeat.

I think we need to have a hook up location before the Friday Night game. Since The Coz is coming with us, I bet he wants a rooftop deck pregames!

Snipe, when my wife and I travel and want a nice hotel near something in a big city we use the name your own price feature on Priceline . Done it several times in NYC. Never been dissatisfied . Pick your zone, 5 or 4'star hotel and then put your price in.

JEHARDI
03-06-2016, 07:03 AM
You can eat well in NY on the cheap, there is a deli on every corner, for breakfast grab a bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll for a couple bucks, better than anything you will find in a hotel. Most deli"s also have great cold/hot food bars with plenty of very good inexpensive options for lunch or dinner and great sandwiches. Great pizza by the slice, all over the city that is relatively cheap too. You will not have any issues finding good reasonably priced food.

paulxu
03-06-2016, 07:48 AM
Snipe, you should definitely do the Waldorf. Would make for a great post-tournament, 3:00 AM recap. Go for it.

Xtemporaneous
03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Subways are fine. Never had a problem.

And Snipester. If you are bringing your boys, take them to the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier Air Museum on the river. It is awesome and they would absolutely love it!

Tournament appears to be decent this year. Might be a respectable game or two.

BEWARE! Get to the ship early as it closes at five and they'll be happy to take your well-earned money right before they close and not tell you.

Xtemporaneous
03-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Snipe, you should definitely do the Waldorf. Would make for a great post-tournament, 3:00 AM recap. Go for it.

'Nova stays at the Waldorf. Very plush hotel. The Pennsylvania is right across the street from MSG and is pretty nice. Not sure the rates for next week though.

Edit: Hotel Penn has rooms for $134/night from Wed. - Sun.

Xtemporaneous
03-06-2016, 07:55 AM

The Westin is a great hotel. You are a block from Times Square and plenty to do within a five minute walk. I will say that there is a starbucks inside of the hotel (AMC theatre side) and there's a breakfast place right around the corner that is VERY REASONABLE. I'd say about $8-10 per person. Get to the city, check into the Westin and then spend a hour or two walking around the immediate block. There is a ton of stuff. (five guys, movie theatres, stores, and my most recommended place - the shake shack).

JTG
03-06-2016, 08:58 AM
I believe there is a Staybridge Inn in the area...they have hot breakfast and a free cocktail party in the evening. Just checked rooms Wed to Sun $178, when you add in free breakfast and cocktail party which has what amounts to a meal with it, its a pretty good deal. Cocktail party is only Wed & Thur

Kahns Krazy
03-06-2016, 09:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgEeDR98X8

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 12:44 PM
More important than finding a hotel, we need to find some family friendly-ish places to get loaded before and after the games.

LA Muskie
03-06-2016, 01:22 PM
When I travel to NYC for work I usually use the HotelTonight app. The downside is that you don't know where you'll stay. The upside is significantly discounted last-minute rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-band '01
03-06-2016, 01:28 PM
More important than finding a hotel, we need to find some family friendly-ish places to get loaded before and after the games.

An oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 01:33 PM
An oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Spoken like a man without children

X-band '01
03-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Spoken like a man without children, wife or girlfriend

Fixed that for you Go.

xu82
03-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Spoken like a man without children

Hey, you DID say "family friendly-ISH".

Snipe
03-06-2016, 04:06 PM

Most certainly we do. Thursday nights pregame should be a happy hour somewhere. I assume they have happy hour in the Big Apple.

I have to hit the google for that.

When I travel to NYC for work I usually use the HotelTonight app. The downside is that you don't know where you'll stay. The upside is significantly discounted last-minute rates.

I will check out that app. Prices do come rocketing down right at the end. I am not sure I really care that much where I stay as long as it is centrally located. They have such a huge inventory of hotel rooms that the Big East Tournament doesn't even put a dent in it, and early March is not a hot season for New York hotels. Last weekend some prices dipped below $100 on the day of stay.

I have credit card points I could use for the team Hotel. I wonder how much of a difference that would make for the kids and the experience. I have never stayed in the team hotel.

Snipe
03-06-2016, 04:41 PM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/blarney-rock-pub-new-york?osq=Happy+Hour+Near+Madison+Square+Garden

Blarney Rock Pub has happy hour and it is just a couple blocks away from MSG. Casual dining

I have never been to New York, so it is all just a guess for me.

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 04:49 PM
Sounds as good as anything. Apparently the official Xavier event at Sardi's is invitation only. I don't make the cut for those types of affairs.

94GRAD
03-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Sounds as good as anything. Apparently the official Xavier event at Sardi's is invitation only. I don't make the cut for those types of affairs.

That's the Wednesday event. Thursday is at the Thirsty Fan 254 W 31st at 530. Post game, if you are without kids, I would recommend The Tempest. Its across from MSG on 8th I believe.

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Thirsty fan it is, then.

xeus
03-06-2016, 05:33 PM
The Pennsylvania is right across the street from MSG and is pretty nice. Not sure the rates for next week though.

Edit: Hotel Penn has rooms for $134/night from Wed. - Sun.

Hotel Pennsylvania is a seedy dump. Avoid.

Try the Roosevelt, great midtown hotel. Not sure of rates.

Emp
03-06-2016, 05:35 PM

Correct. Stayed the for the Mississippi state game, then the Duke game. At Izod. It was old then. It's convenient, across th street from MSG.....but ugh

xu82
03-06-2016, 05:53 PM

Looks nice. Quick (and maybe sloppy) search shows $125++ for Friday night. I'm honestly shocked at how cheap the rooms are. I've paid SO much more, but gone at preferred times (holidays, summer, etc.). I've already thrown it out to Mrs '82 for next year. She's in Vegas all this week and I have unavoidable work, but this needs to be a priority and worked around in the future. I'm a slow learner, it appears.

Lamont Sanford
03-06-2016, 06:06 PM

What about Hotel Transylvania? Great flick.

Snipe
03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
That's the Wednesday event. Thursday is at the Thirsty Fan 254 W 31st at 530. Post game, if you are without kids, I would recommend The Tempest. Its across from MSG on 8th I believe.

Thirsty fan it is, then.

I am good with anything. Wonder who choose that bar? The ratings are terrible and the website says that they are "back in business" and everything has dates from 2015. It doesn't look very promising, but it is the company you keep that counts. Hopefully they have a happy hour.

Here is a one star review from December

12/22/2015

It's open. But at 5:30pm before a Rangers game, and the kitchen isn't open? That's just not good business. Lucky for them the bars around the garden are packed right now.

and another:

8/2/2015

8/25/2015

Came here before a Rangers game and the place wasn't packed but definitely had a crowd. There was only one bartender for the entire place, but he did a decent job with keeping up with the orders. Basically just another dive bar in a highly tourist area with mediocre food. The place is dirty, floors sticky, and the cigarette smoke from outside fills the entire area near the entryway.

I don't see myself ever wanting to come here again and probably only will if forced to meet friends here again before another event at MSG.

And the worst part is this:

9/2/2015

Not an awful sports bar, but the service seemed extraordinarily slow - not to mention, the prices were pretty high by Manhattan standards, with more reasonable bars nearby. It's better than some, worst than most. In a neighborhood overflowing with sports bars, no wonder this place has changed name and ownership several times in the past few years.

I at least expected decent prices!!!!

QueensbridgeMF
03-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Pizza Suprema across from MSG on 8th best slice in midtown

Snipe
03-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Now that is some good information Queensbridge! I know I will be in the neighborhood so I will take the boys for a slice. I have never been much of a fan of concession food instide arenas, so that is a nice location to hit either before or after a game.

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Yikes on the reviews. I might just go to the bar at Local instead. I can see the Xavier fans when I get in the arena.

Snipe
03-06-2016, 07:16 PM
Do different schools have different bars? If I go into another bar is it going to be full of another schools fans? It would be interesting if they had a list of where people were gathering.

QueensbridgeMF
03-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Right next to Tempest bar which was home to the nyc chapter and they will let you bring your slice in.

paulxu
03-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Hit up MOR for a ticket.

Snipe
03-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Right next to Tempest bar which was home to the nyc chapter and they will let you bring your slice in.

I think I need more Queensbridge travel tips!

The Tempest bar looks like a winner. I could play some pool with the boys, drink a few beers before the game and have a slice or two.

Although now that I think of it, it is a bar not a restaurant, and they wouldn't want my kids in there. Too bad because I like billiards and beer.

paulxu
03-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Google reviewer on the Tempest:

"Nice bartender, but the whole place smelled like a fart."

Excellent.

xu82
03-06-2016, 07:40 PM
One bad apple (or burrito) can ruin everything!

QueensbridgeMF
03-06-2016, 07:55 PM
Yeah no kitchen not sure what the kid policy is. Probably no go

QueensbridgeMF
03-06-2016, 08:00 PM
Tir Na Nog a great place for a pint with the kids. Old school Big East fans will be there. Depending whose playing. GTown SJU Nova Hall

D-West & PO-Z
03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
You can eat well in NY on the cheap, there is a deli on every corner, for breakfast grab a bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll for a couple bucks, better than anything you will find in a hotel. Most deli"s also have great cold/hot food bars with plenty of very good inexpensive options for lunch or dinner and great sandwiches. Great pizza by the slice, all over the city that is relatively cheap too. You will not have any issues finding good reasonably priced food.

Forget the bacon, go with Pork Roll! It will change your life!!!!

(Can also get it at Jungle Jims!)

GoMuskies
03-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Anyone know which section Xavier's seats are in at the Garden? I want to buy relatively close on Stubhub or Seat Geek?

Muskie91
03-07-2016, 06:40 AM
I bought through X and we're in section 8 row 9 if that helps.

Anyone know which section Xavier's seats are in at the Garden? I want to buy relatively close on Stubhub or Seat Geek?

GoMuskies
03-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Thanks, that does help.

WCWIII
03-07-2016, 07:25 AM
I am good with anything. Wonder who choose that bar?

Your alumni association working with the local alumni chapter choose the bar. A great job this season was done at formal X-on-the-road events at away events in DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy, Providence. Plus local chapters everywhere hold game watches throughout the season ... almost 40 evets for the crosstown shootout. In Chicago, visit Merkle's right next to Wrigley field ... some Xavier stuff hangs year round. A couple venues were especially packed this season with fans who walked up (and should have pre-registered).

In NYC, Thirsty Fan took care of the NYC Xavier alumni throughout the last couple of seasons and the tournament until they closed. Tempest then was used this season for a game watch almost every game (check out the Xavier alumni NYC chapter facebook page). Last year, right across the arena, Thristy Fan served Xavier nation very well as the team bar. We packed the place, some nights the band and cheerleaders would come. It has a fairly nice layout with a large bar and seating in the back and upstairs. Now that it's re-opened and given it's right across the street from MSG, Thirsy Fan was chosen to be this year's gathering site. The point is that there was some hard work by some alumni volunteers to do their best to give a best experience to travelling Xavier nation and you get to free load on that hard work - just enjoy. If you meet the NYC chapter president, you'll meet one of the nicest alumni ever.

GoMuskies
03-07-2016, 08:08 AM
A Georgetown buddy of mine mentioned Café 31. I'll meet up with him and check it out Thursday morning assuming Georgetown doesn't shit the bed against DePaul Wednesday night.

http://www.cafe31nyc.com/

EastCoastXman
03-07-2016, 08:35 AM
We have gone to the Pig N' Whistle on 36th st a few times before games.

www.pignwhistleon36th.com

XUMIOH12
03-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Your alumni association working with the local alumni chapter choose the bar. A great job this season was done at formal X-on-the-road events at away events in DC, Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy, Providence. Plus local chapters everywhere hold game watches throughout the season ... almost 40 evets for the crosstown shootout. In Chicago, visit Merkle's right next to Wrigley field ... some Xavier stuff hangs year round. A couple venues were especially packed this season with fans who walked up (and should have pre-registered).

In NYC, Thirsty Fan took care of the NYC Xavier alumni throughout the last couple of seasons and the tournament until they closed. Tempest then was used this season for a game watch almost every game (check out the Xavier alumni NYC chapter facebook page). Last year, right across the arena, Thristy Fan served Xavier nation very well as the team bar. We packed the place, some nights the band and cheerleaders would come. It has a fairly nice layout with a large bar and seating in the back and upstairs. Now that it's re-opened and given it's right across the street from MSG, Thirsy Fan was chosen to be this year's gathering site. The point is that there was some hard work by some alumni volunteers to do their best to give a best experience to travelling Xavier nation and you get to free load on that hard work - just enjoy. If you meet the NYC chapter president, you'll meet one of the nicest alumni ever.

easy there, i dont think anyone is really criticizing the people setting up the location

XUMIOH12
03-07-2016, 08:56 AM
i'm planning on checking out the thirsty fan before the game thursday to see how it is with all the Xavier people. Really just need a place to drink, and im assuming this place will do the trick.

Snipe
03-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Damn that is a WCW Smackdown!

I just got served.

GoMuskies
03-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Damn that is a WCW Smackdown!

I just got served.

You did. Now go to the shit hole Xavier set up for you to booze at and shut the hell up.

XUMIOH12
03-07-2016, 12:44 PM
you did. Now go to the shit hole xavier set up for you to booze at and shut the hell up.

lol

Snipe
03-07-2016, 12:49 PM
I am going. And you won't hear me complaining either. He put me in my place there. Don't have to tell me twice!

Lamont Sanford
03-07-2016, 01:04 PM
I am going. And you won't hear me complaining either. He put me in my place there. Don't have to tell me twice!

Be sure The Coz is on his best behavior...i.e. he's got pants on.

WCWIII
03-07-2016, 01:30 PM
All in good fun. As much as I admire the length of Snipe's posts, I was surprised at my own wordsmithing. Snipe, I'll buy you one if I happen to see you at the Waldorf!

m1ll3rhighlife
03-07-2016, 01:41 PM
All of Manhattan is safe.
New York is an extremely safe, it pays not to be stupid as it is a large city. But it's safe.
The game and X meet ups and vast majority of Hotels are in Midtown, FiDi is a good place to stay and easily navigated by subway or taxi.
AirBnB might have some good deals if you want to look at renting an apartment.

X-band '01
03-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Be sure The Coz is on his best behavior...i.e. he's got pants on.

Thanks to global warming this week, shorts will also be enough.

PM Thor
03-07-2016, 02:16 PM
If you can get a room there, I highly suggest that you get into the Westin Times Square, it's the official hotel for the Big East Tournament and the teams stay there. Wife stayed there the last 2 years and has quite a few funny stories interacting with other Big East teams..."Hey who wears all grey and has a big G?" "Yeah that is Georgetown...why?" "Oh they are all on the elevator with me, they aren't as tall as I thought they'd be".

Cannot wait to get there...

bobbiemcgee
03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
All in good fun. As much as I admire the length of Snipe's posts, I was surprised at my own wordsmithing. Snipe, I'll buy you one if I happen to see you at the Waldorf!

Had a Manhattan and a burger there last year. $58 + tax.

xu82
03-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Isn't that about what was paid for all of Manhattan way back when?

I ordered the seafood special in a San Francisco tourist trap one time without asking the price. Most expensive meal of my life. By far. My wife is staying at The Wynn in Vegas this week. Just looked at their website and saw a seafood special at $195 per person. Add another $30 if you want that to include the scampi. I'll pass.

Snipe
03-09-2016, 10:25 AM

They had some great hotel rates recently, even today. I couldn't imagine paying $58 for a burger and a drink though, let alone taking the kids to lunch (which is probably jacket required). Your post got me off thinking the Waldorf is the place for me.

muskiefan82
03-09-2016, 11:09 AM
If you can get a room there, I highly suggest that you get into the Westin Times Square, it's the official hotel for the Big East Tournament and the teams stay there. Wife stayed there the last 2 years and has quite a few funny stories interacting with other Big East teams..."Hey who wears all grey and has a big G?" "Yeah that is Georgetown...why?" "Oh they are all on the elevator with me, they aren't as tall as I thought they'd be".

Cannot wait to get there...

This is where I stayed last year. It is right in the heart of it all with easy access to everything.

Snipe
03-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Just booked my Hotel at the Team Hotel, The Westin New York at Times Square.

Thor said all the teams stay there. That is interesting. My kids would probably get excited to see any of the teams in the lobby. Waldorf had some great rates, but I doubt my kids would have valued a historic marble lobby over seeing even one Muskie or Coach Mack in the lobby. I just hope they don't ask Kris Dunn for an autograph. He is a great player and all, but lets have some self respect, after all.

I am pumped up about the desitnation, I have never been in the team hotel. Perhaps it is much ado about nothing, but maybe the kids will like it.

The Coz is pumped. When I told him the news he had to be sedated.

Thursday looks to be 75 and beautiful, so we are going to go biking in Central Park. They have a groupon right now that gives your 4 hours for $15 and a free pass to the Museum of the City of New York. And it looks like it will be gorgeous. I have always wanted to see Central Park and I can cover a large part of it on a bike pretty well I would imagine.

On Friday we are gonna hit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Might also do the IKEA ferry or the Brooklyn Bridge suggested here depending on how it all flows.

I also want to do a pre-happy hour Screwdriver Social in my room with some OJ and bottom shelf vodka. Get the juices flowing so you don't have to slam the first couple $8 beers at happy hour.

Anyone interested in pre-Happy Hour screwdrivers message me your cell phone number and your moniker and I will keep you updated. Hell, if you want to tag along at the museum or ride the bikes I can text you when we are heading out. It is more fun traveling in numbers, and it would be nice to have an adult around to post bail once The Coz and I get arrested. I don't think they allow minors to post bail.

I am pumped up!

94GRAD
03-09-2016, 11:58 AM

Thor said all the teams stay there. That is interesting. My kids would probably get excited to see any of the teams in the lobby. Waldorf had some great rates, but I doubt my kids would have valued a historic marble lobby over seeing even one Muskie or Coach Mack in the lobby. I just hope they don't ask Kris Dunn for an autograph. He is a great player and all, but lets have some self respect, after all.

I am pumped up about the desitnation, I have never been in the team hotel. Perhaps it is much ado about nothing, but maybe the kids will like it.

The Coz is pumped. When I told him the news he had to be sedated.

Thursday looks to be 75 and beautiful, so we are going to go biking in Central Park. They have a groupon right now that gives your 4 hours for $15 and a free pass to the Museum of the City of New York. And it looks like it will be gorgeous. I have always wanted to see Central Park and I can cover a large part of it on a bike pretty well I would imagine.

On Friday we are gonna hit the 9/11 Memorial and Museum. Might also do the IKEA ferry or the Brooklyn Bridge suggested here depending on how it all flows.

I also want to do a pre-happy hour Screwdriver Social in my room with some OJ and bottom shelf vodka. Get the juices flowing so you don't have to slam the first couple $8 beers at happy hour.

Anyone interested in pre-Happy Hour screwdrivers message me your cell phone number and your moniker and I will keep you updated. Hell, if you want to tag along at the museum or ride the bikes I can text you when we are heading out. It is more fun traveling in numbers, and it would be nice to have an adult around to post bail once The Coz and I get arrested. I don't think they allow minors to post bail.

I am pumped up!

Buy your 911 Memorial and Museum tickets ahead of time online. You won't have to wait in the long line to buy day of. Also spend the $7 for the head phones.

bourbonman
03-09-2016, 12:00 PM
Buy your 911 Memorial and Museum tickets ahead of time online. You won't have to wait in the long line to buy day of. Also spend the $7 for the head phones.

Ditto

Snipe
03-09-2016, 12:07 PM

Do they accept mobile phone vouchers or do I have to buy them and print it out? Wondering if I should do this today while I have access to a printer or if I can just do it on my phone at the Hotel.

nuts4xu
03-09-2016, 12:08 PM

When I first began following Xavier basketball, I was about 12 years old. My dad and I went to the MCC tournament in Indianapolis a number of times, and stayed at the team hotel at least once. We won the tournament, the team comes back to the hotel for the post game reception. Tyrone Hill was 2 fisting Miller Lites, Byron Larkin was talkative, and I remember hearing the echos of celebration til I fell asleep.

Some of my best memories as a Xavier fan were from following the team, and attending these post season tournaments. The fact we play in NYC every season, is incredible. Your boys may not realize the experience they are about to have, but I am sure they will remember this forever.

Bring home a win!

94GRAD
03-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Do they accept mobile phone vouchers or do I have to buy them and print it out? Wondering if I should do this today while I have access to a printer or if I can just do it on my phone at the Hotel.

Not sure, we printed our out

D-West & PO-Z
03-09-2016, 12:11 PM

When I went you couldnt even buy tickets day of. You had to buy in advance and you were assigned a time to come. There were also no headphones. That was several years ago though. I should probably go again next time I am in NY, seems there is more to see/hear.

paulxu
03-09-2016, 01:16 PM
When we win it all, I fully expect Snipe and this Coz fellow to rush the court...er, lobby...of the Westin.

Milhouse
03-09-2016, 01:31 PM
I really want to see snipe some day.

Not meet.

Just watch from a distance.

Snipe
03-09-2016, 01:32 PM
safer that way Milhouse, I am contageous

muskiefan82
03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
When I first began following Xavier basketball, I was about 12 years old. My dad and I went to the MCC tournament in Indianapolis a number of times, and stayed at the team hotel at least once. We won the tournament, the team comes back to the hotel for the post game reception. Tyrone Hill was 2 fisting Miller Lites, Byron Larkin was talkative, and I remember hearing the echos of celebration til I fell asleep.

Some of my best memories as a Xavier fan were from following the team, and attending these post season tournaments. The fact we play in NYC every season, is incredible. Your boys may not realize the experience they are about to have, but I am sure they will remember this forever.

Bring home a win!

From Market Square Arena to Madison Square Garden. It's been a helluva ride!