PDA

View Full Version : 2015-16 Big East Home/Away Standings

X-band '01
01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
VILLANOVA: +3 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown)
XAVIER: +2 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette)
CREIGHTON: +1 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence)
GEORGETOWN: +1 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, L vs. Villanova)
SETON HALL: +1 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, L vs. Creighton)
PROVIDENCE: 0 (W at Butler, W at Creighton, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Seton Hall)
BUTLER: -1 (W at DePaul, L vs. Providence, L vs. Villanova)
MARQUETTE: -1 (W at Providence, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier)
DEPAUL: -3 (L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton)
ST. JOHN'S: -3 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown)

There is a clear division here between the top 8 teams and the bottom two. Georgetown got off to a hot start in the Big East thanks to 3 wins over DePaul and St. John's. Even with the home loss to Villanova, they still have time to make up ground for NCAA consideration. But they're going to have to win at UConn and beat either Xavier and/or Providence along the way to do so. They went 0-5 against the Muskies and Friars last year.

X-band '01
01-25-2016, 12:02 PM
And here are the splits after last week's games:

VILLANOVA: +3 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Seton Hall, L vs. Providence)
GEORGETOWN: +2 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Xavier, L vs. Villanova)
PROVIDENCE: +1 (W at Butler, W at Creighton, W at Villanova, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Seton Hall)
XAVIER: +1 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown)
CREIGHTON: +1 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence)
SETON HALL: 0 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Villanova)
MARQUETTE: -1 (W at Providence, W at St. John's, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. DePaul)
DEPAUL: -2 (W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton)
ST. JOHN'S: -4 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Marquette)

This is as good as any week for Xavier to make up ground in the standings - beating Providence would be a huge opportunity to move up the standings, and they'll get to play DePaul at the end of the week. Also look out for Seton Hall; their schedule was front-loaded in the first half of conference play. The Pirates are done with Villanova and still have home games with Providence and Xavier to come.

MADXSTER
01-25-2016, 03:28 PM
Conference Standings

Villanova 7-1
Xavier 5-2
Providence 5-2
Crieghton 5-2
Georgetown 5-2

What a Great Race to be watching

waggy
01-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Even with the loss to UConn if GTown goes 6-4 the rest of the way, and wins just one BE tourney game, they would get an at-large I think.

Looking at Pomeroy ratings tonight I was surprised that Creighton is currently the 3rd most efficient team in the BE. A couple of OOC losses you'd normally expect them to win hurt them. They dropped a home game to ASU in particular.

Xville
01-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Even with the loss to UConn if GTown goes 6-4 the rest of the way, and wins just one BE tourney game, they would get an at-large I think.

Looking at Pomeroy ratings tonight I was surprised that Creighton is currently the 3rd most efficient team in the BE. A couple of OOC losses you'd normally expect them to win hurt them. They dropped a home game to ASU in particular.

You are probably right but I don't see them going 6-4 the rest of the way with their schedule. I think they will be lucky to win 5 more games to be honest.

X-band '01
01-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Update at the halfway pole:

VILLANOVA: +4 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Seton Hall, W at St. John's, L vs. Providence)
XAVIER: +3 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at DePaul, L vs. Georgetown)
GEORGETOWN: +1 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Xavier, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence)
PROVIDENCE: +1 (W at Butler, W at Creighton, W at Villanova, W at Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier)
SETON HALL: +1 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at Creighton, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Villanova)
CREIGHTON: 0 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence, L vs. Seton Hall)
MARQUETTE: -1 (W at Providence, W at St. John's, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. DePaul)
DEPAUL: -3 (W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier)
ST. JOHN'S: -5 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Villanova)

Needless to say, Xavier was the big winner last week thanks to the Providence win, although the Friars mitigated that game with their win at Georgetown. Creighton really blew a chance to move up in the standings with the last-second loss at Georgetown.

GIMMFD
01-31-2016, 01:27 PM
Marquette confuses the hell out of me...

X-band '01
01-31-2016, 03:26 PM
Marquette is a young team, so 4-5 in the Big East isn't terribly surprising or disappointing. Butler is 3-6 and in serious danger of missing out if they don't get their asses in gear soon. They've beaten DePaul and St. John's twice. That's it.

XUFan09
01-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Marquette is a young team, so 4-5 in the Big East isn't terribly surprising or disappointing. Butler is 3-6 and in serious danger of missing out if they don't get their asses in gear soon. They've beaten DePaul and St. John's twice. That's it.
Considering Butler's dichotomy of great offense and bad defense and the tough early schedule, their struggles don't really surprise me. Still, given that, they should have notched at least one more win by now. They've lost a number of close games, which is why they are still in Kenpom's top 50 (barely).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

X-band '01
02-07-2016, 11:01 AM
This week's updated standings:

VILLANOVA: +5 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Seton Hall, W at St. John's, W at Providence, L vs. Providence)
XAVIER: +3 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at DePaul, L vs. Georgetown)
SETON HALL: +1 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at Creighton, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Villanova)
GEORGETOWN: +1 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Xavier, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence)
PROVIDENCE: 0 (W at Butler, W at Creighton, W at Villanova, W at Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Villanova)
CREIGHTON: 0 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence, L vs. Seton Hall)
BUTLER: 0 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, L vs. Providence, L vs. Villanova)
DEPAUL: -3 (W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier)
ST. JOHN'S: -6 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Butler)

Not too much movement this week, but again look at Villanova - they're a perfect 6-0 on the road (and that's with trips to DePaul and Marquette still to come). Xavier can get closer to Villanova if they can get a win or two on the Creighton-Butler roadie this week.

And here's a look at how the Big East bracket would look as of this week:

FIRST ROUND (Wednesday, March 9) - Fox Sports 1
7 PM - (8)Marquette vs. (9)DePaul
9:30 PM - (7)Butler vs. (10)St. John's

QUARTERFINALS (Thursday, March 10) - Fox Sports 1
12 PM - (1)Villanova vs. Marquette/DePaul
2:30 PM - (4)Providence vs. (5)Georgetown
7 PM - (2)Xavier vs. Butler/St. John's
9:30 PM - (3)Seton Hall vs. (6)Creighton

SEMIFINALS (Friday, March 11) - Fox Sports 1
7 PM - Villanova/Marquette/DePaul vs. Providence/Georgetown
9:30 PM - Xavier/Butler/St. John's vs. Seton Hall/Creighton

CHAMPIONSHIP (Saturday, March 12) - FOX
8 PM - Semifinal winners

XUFan09
02-07-2016, 11:10 AM
That wouldn't be a bad sequence of matchups at all.

X-band '01
02-14-2016, 09:22 AM
This week's splits with 3 weeks to go:

VILLANOVA: +6 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Seton Hall, W at St. John's, W at Providence, W at DePaul, L vs. Providence)
XAVIER: +4 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at DePaul, W at Butler, L vs. Georgetown)
CREIGHTON: +1 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, W at Marquette, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence, L vs. Seton Hall)
SETON HALL: 0 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at Creighton, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Butler)
PROVIDENCE: 0 (W at Butler, W at Creighton, W at Villanova, W at Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Villanova)
BUTLER: 0 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, L vs. Providence, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Xavier)
MARQUETTE: -2 (W at Providence, W at St. John's, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. DePaul, L vs. Creighton)
DEPAUL: -4 (W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Villanova)
ST. JOHN'S: -6 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Butler)

And this is the Big East bracket as of today:

FIRST ROUND (Wednesday, March 9) - FS1

QUARTERFINALS (Thursday, March 10) - FS1
2:30 PM - (4)Seton Hall vs. (5)Providence
9:30 PM - (3)Creighton vs. (6)Georgetown

SEMIFINALS (Friday, March 11) - FS1
6:30 PM - Villanova/Marquette/DePaul vs. Seton Hall/Providence
9:00 PM - Xavier/Butler/St. John's vs. Creighton/Georgetown

5:30 PM - Semifinal winners

Needless to say, there's almost no chance that chalk would hold in a bracket like that. It wouldn't surprise me if we wound up getting a Providence/Creighton rematch (from 2014) out of that group.

GoMuskies
02-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Can we lock in that bracket now? Looks perfect.

EastCoastXman
02-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Change the final game time to 5:30 PM as per BS web site. Plenty of time for post celebration in NYC following the game!

X-band '01
02-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the heads-up; I also adjusted the semfinal times since this is a late-afternoon matchup.

D-West & PO-Z
02-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Can we lock in that bracket now? Looks perfect.

Yes, I wish.

X-band '01
02-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Standings with 2 weeks to go:

VILLANOVA: +6 (W at Creighton, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Seton Hall, W at St. John's, W at Providence, W at DePaul, L vs. Providence)
XAVIER: +5 (W at St. John's, W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at DePaul, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, L vs. Georgetown)
SETON HALL: +2 (W at Marquette, W at Providence, W at Creighton, W at Georgetown, W at St. John's, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Butler)
CREIGHTON: +1 (W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, W at Marquette, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence, L vs. Seton Hall)
BUTLER: 0 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Seton Hall, L vs. Providence, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Xavier)
GEORGETOWN: -1 (W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Xavier, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Providence, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier)
MARQUETTE: -1 (W at Providence, W at St. John's, W at DePaul, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier, L vs. DePaul, L vs. Creighton)
DEPAUL: -5 (W at Marquette, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Butler, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Marquette)
ST. JOHN'S: -7 (L vs. Creighton, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Butler, L vs. Seton Hall)

And the Big East bracket through this weekend:

9:30 PM - (7)Georgetown vs. (10)St. John's

2:30 PM - (4)Creighton vs. (5)Providence
7 PM - (2)Xavier vs. Georgetown/St. John's
9:30 PM - (3)Seton Hall vs. (6)Butler

6:30 PM - Villanova/Marquette/DePaul vs. Creighton/Providence
9:00 PM - Xavier/Georgetown/St. John's vs. Seton Hall/Butler

If that bracket holds up, how many people think St. John's beats Georgetown on Opening Night?

D-West & PO-Z
02-21-2016, 03:08 PM
If that bracket holds up, how many people think St. John's beats Georgetown on Opening Night?

They shouldnt but I wouldnt be shocked. Georgetown might have packed it in by then.

X-band '01
02-21-2016, 03:16 PM
It would be even better if St. John's overtakes DePaul for 9th place. I'd be a little nervous if Xavier had to face the Johnnies in the tournament opener.

GoMuskies
02-21-2016, 03:23 PM
I'd be thrilled if Xavier got St. John's in the QF.

X-band '01
02-26-2016, 02:30 PM
The standings are a complete mess in the middle - here's how the 4-way tie at 7-8 would be sorted out right now:

Marquette 3-1 (still plays v. Georgetown, at Butler)
Providence 4-2
Butler 1-3 (still plays at Georgetown, v. Marquette) - beat Georgetown head-to-head
Georgetown 1-3 (still plays v. Butler, at Marquette) - lost to Butler head-to-head

7 PM - (8)Georgetown vs. (9)DePaul

12 PM - (1)Villanova vs. Georgetown/DePaul
2:30 PM - (4)Creighton vs. (5)Marquette
9:30 PM - (3)Seton Hall vs. (6)Providence

6:30 PM - Villanova/Georgetown/DePaul vs. Creighton/Marquette
9:00 PM - Xavier/Butler/St. John's vs. Seton Hall/Providence

GoMuskies
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Providence and Butler would be well advised to find their way ahead of Creighton and Marquette in the standings. Finishing behind teams with no prayer at an NCAA bid in a double round-robin league is not a good look for a bubble team.

XMuskieFTW
02-26-2016, 02:54 PM
The teams I most don't want to play are St. John's and Creighton. Maybe Seton Hall. Hopefully we can avoid those.

GoMuskies
02-26-2016, 02:55 PM
You'd rather play Butler than St. John's on Thursday night? Really? REALLY?!?

sgarcia
02-26-2016, 03:09 PM
The teams I most don't want to play are St. John's and Creighton. Maybe Seton Hall. Hopefully we can avoid those.

The first 2 teams you mentioned are exactly who I WANT to play.

XMuskieFTW
02-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Yes. We match up much much better with Butler than St. John's. Although St. John's is an easier game, the potential for disastrous upset has been there. Would rather crush a decent Butler team for a 3rd time.

XUFan09
02-26-2016, 03:27 PM
I can see the argument. Butler is much, much better than St. John's. But, when it comes to matchups, they hardly stand a chance of beating Xavier on a neutral court. St. John's, meanwhile, matches up well with Xavier, and things are going well, they have a shot, sort of like a 15 seed beating a 1 seed. Granted, my next question would be whether St. John's is better than your average 15 seed.

I would prefer Butler because we'd kick their ass and could notch another neutral court victory against a Kenpom top 50 team.

GoMuskies
02-26-2016, 03:29 PM
St. John's is horrible. 0% chance of a loss. Butler is good, but we match up with them well. Maybe 20% chance of a loss.

I'll take 0%, thanks.

XMuskieFTW
02-26-2016, 03:39 PM
St. John's is horrible. 0% chance of a loss. Butler is good, but we match up with them well. Maybe 20% chance of a loss.

I'll take 0%, thanks.

0% seems kinda low for playing very tight games with them twice already. Especially playing on their home floor.

GoMuskies
02-26-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't know. A #1 seed has never lost to a #16. That would be the equivalent of losing to St. John's. And even in their home they'd have no fans there.

In any event, they've won exactly 1 game this calendar year, so I'm not too worried about them winning Wednesday night. I'm even less worried about hem winning two in a row.