PDA

View Full Version : 2016 McDonald's All American Games Nominees

maketewahXalum
01-05-2016, 11:33 PM
http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/aag/en/MediaCenter/2016/2016-game-materials/2016-Nominee-List/_jcr_content/featuredcontent/everything/file.res/2016%20Nominee%20List%20(Boys_Girls)%20Final.pdf

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I would post here. 2 of Xavier's 3 2016 commits have been named nominees for the McDonald's All American game.

Quentin Goodin - Campbellsvile, KY (Taylor County High School)
Tyrique Jones - Vermont Academy

I saw the article on cincinnati.com where it was headlined that UC commit Jarron Cumberland was named a nominee for the game. I figured that the article would point out if any of the Xavier recruits was on the list, but did not see mention. After clicking on the link to the full list, I did a quick search and found both Tyrique and Quentin. Quentin is mistakenly listed under Kansas, instead of Kentucky.

Doesn't mean a whole lot, but I thought it was worth the mention.

xu82
01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
My first thought is WOW! There are so many! How did I not get on the list? But in looking it over there's some interesting stuff. How does NJ have about 40 kids, and NY and Ohio only have 13 combined? And apparently half the kids in Texas made it, but we got the only one from the supposedly "great basketball state" of Kentucky? That's curious to me. A bunch of kids in and around Atlanta to maybe check out too.

maketewahXalum
01-06-2016, 04:48 PM
I agree -- there are like 300 boys basketball players on that list. That just seems ridiculous.

GIMMFD
01-06-2016, 05:28 PM
My first thought is WOW! There are so many! How did I not get on the list? But in looking it over there's some interesting stuff. How does NJ have about 40 kids, and NY and Ohio only have 13 combined? And apparently half the kids in Texas made it, but we got the only one from the supposedly "great basketball state" of Kentucky? That's curious to me. A bunch of kids in and around Atlanta to maybe check out too.

The only thing I could think of, and I may be completely wrong, is that a lot of these kids aren't playing in their hometowns because of all the academies that are up (Huntinton Prep, Monteverde, Findlay Prep, etc.), so even though it says there's 30 people from Atlanta, it doesn't necessarily mean that all the states aren't being evenly represented? I don't know, it doesn't seem 100% logical, but it's the best I could come up with.

xu82
01-07-2016, 05:51 PM
I agree -- there are like 300 boys basketball players on that list. That just seems ridiculous.

Flattering as many kids as possible. How many kids will sign with top 50 teams next year. Half of that list? I had no idea it was that kind of set up. But the kid, family and friends will say for decades, "yeah, I was a MacDonalds All American (nominee)".

xu82
01-07-2016, 05:54 PM
The only thing I could think of, and I may be completely wrong, is that a lot of these kids aren't playing in their hometowns because of all the academies that are up (Huntinton Prep, Monteverde, Findlay Prep, etc.), so even though it says there's 30 people from Atlanta, it doesn't necessarily mean that all the states aren't being evenly represented? I don't know, it doesn't seem 100% logical, but it's the best I could come up with.

That's as good as any guess I can think of. It just seems wacky. And makes me happy we have coach Mack picking our players instead of Ronald MacDonald.