PDA

View Full Version : Providence

Muncie
12-27-2015, 05:25 PM
I notice The Friars have a 12 and 1 record with some nice wins. I know Nova will be a handful there but I think Providence may actually be more of a challenge .

X Factor
12-27-2015, 05:28 PM
I notice The Friars have a 12 and 1 record with some nice wins. I know Nova will be a handful there but I think Providence may actually be more of a challenge .

Disagree. Providence is tough, but they are pretty thin. For some reason, I'm still not quite sold on them.

The BE championship will still go through Nova, imo. I think Xavier is ready to take it from them.

waggy
12-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Why would Tyler Harris leave Providence for Auburn?

xukeith
12-27-2015, 06:01 PM
If healthy, Chris Dunn is one of the best guards I have ever seen. He is so legit and literally carries the team.

xu82
12-27-2015, 06:11 PM
If healthy, Chris Dunn is one of the best guards I have ever seen. He is so legit and literally carries the team.

Send him some Skyline, it could decide the home game.

X-Fan
12-27-2015, 06:35 PM
I have to agree with Muncie on this one, not only does Providence have arguably the best player in Kris Dunn, but they have a solid core with Bentil, Bullock, and Lindsey. They have depth as well though are a bit young. I was impressed that they got through a 2 game stretch without a healthy Dunn and Bentil. Cooley is a good coach, and most worrisome they are a difficult matchup for X. For this years team I am worried about opponents who can score, have size, and have guards who can disrupt/neutralize Ed/Myles/Larry. Providence certainly has those traits.

Masterofreality
12-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Bentil is very tough, and Cooley, despite last year's disappointing NCAA loss, is a great coach. I expect that the Friars will be a load in any game they play.

Nigel Tufnel
12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Bentil is very tough, and Cooley, despite last year's disappointing NCAA loss, is a great coach. I expect that the Friars will be a load in any game they play.

Agree wholeheartedly. I watched them curb stomp UMASS. They are very good. Cooley can coach.

XfansinKy
12-27-2015, 07:15 PM

Looking forward to seeing Edmon n him go at it. Dunn is legit, but may get posterized.

Xville
12-27-2015, 10:03 PM
In addition to our game against nova, Butler plays Providence at 230 on nye. That is going to be one outstanding game. It would be great if both butler and x win on nye..setting up one hell of a game on saturday.

sirthought
12-27-2015, 11:55 PM
Providence will be one of the bigger challenges this season.

They matchup fairly evenly against XU. High level of fight and leadership on the floor.

I can see the Muskies surviving one of their cold spells against a lot of teams, but this one might be tougher. While not as good as Nova and Butler, Providence protects the ball pretty well and they don't foul a whole lot. They are slightly more efficient in scoring and also block a lot of shots.

Dunn might end up player of the year. Dude is next level.

-->X<--
01-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Providence will be one of the bigger challenges this season.

They matchup fairly evenly against XU. High level of fight and leadership on the floor.

I can see the Muskies surviving one of their cold spells against a lot of teams, but this one might be tougher. While not as good as Nova and Butler, Providence protects the ball pretty well and they don't foul a whole lot. They are slightly more efficient in scoring and also block a lot of shots.

Dunn might end up player of the year. Dude is next level.

You might want to reassess that argument. Providence looked like the clearly better team yesterday, beating Butler on the road in the opener. The Friars' starting 5 is arguably the best in the league.

That said, they're paper thin in the front court. In a physical/scrappy game where the whistles are being heard, our depth is going to play a huge role.

Nildogg
01-01-2016, 11:37 AM
You might want to reassess that argument. Providence looked like the clearly better team yesterday, beating Butler on the road in the opener. The Friars' starting 5 is arguably the best in the league.

That said, they're paper thin in the front court. In a physical/scrappy game where the whistles are being heard, our depth is going to play a huge role.

Can't really argue with this, but I think its a little of a stretch to say they were "clearly" the better team - considering Dunham was (and has been recently) basically non-existent, and should/usually is a huge part of our offense.

That said, our perimeter D was a huge issue, and we couldn't stop them from going 9-12 from 3 in the second half... that won the game for Providence, along with our atrocious outside shooting ourselves.

If Dunham is shooting like he should, the game is much different.

-->X<--
01-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Can't really argue with this, but I think its a little of a stretch to say they were "clearly" the better team - considering Dunham was (and has been recently) basically non-existent, and should/usually is a huge part of our offense.

That said, our perimeter D was a huge issue, and we couldn't stop them from going 9-12 from 3 in the second half... that won the game for Providence, along with our atrocious outside shooting ourselves.

If Dunham is shooting like he should, the game is much different.

If I'm a Bulldog fan, I'm thinking ... okay, we shot only 12 FT and were 3 of 17 (17.6%) from beyond the arch. The first is easy to correct going forward, and you're going to have much better shooting performances on average. I came away really impressed with Jones' ability to get to the hoop and create contact. He has to do a lot more that in tight ballgames.

As far as Providence goes, with their starting 5 on the court in the 2nd half, it looked as though they could score at will. If/when they get freshman Fazekas back and if bench guys like that Edwards kid can consistently contribute off the bench, you're looking at a team that's at least Sweet 16 capable, if not much more.

I think a fair argument could be made for Xavier, Butler, and Nova fans, too -- I just think Providence needs to be seen in that light. A loss to those guys is no knock at all.

Masterofreality
01-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Providence is damn good people. Believe them.

sirthought
01-01-2016, 05:03 PM

I only meant they weren't as good as Nova and Butler at protecting the ball. They are third in the Big East in fewest turnovers and fewest fouls.

-->X<--
01-02-2016, 10:56 AM
I only meant they weren't as good as Nova and Butler at protecting the ball. They are third in the Big East in fewest turnovers and fewest fouls.

Got you! Thanks for clarifying.