PDA

View Full Version : Protect My Safe Space!

GoMuskies
11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Please refrain from posting any topics or expressing any opinions that might cause me even the slightest bit of discomfort. I thank you in advance for your compliance with my directive.

X-man
11-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Please refrain from posting any topics or expressing any opinions that might cause me even the slightest bit of discomfort. I thank you in advance for your compliance with my directive.

Can we do it if we first post a "trigger warning"? Sadly, this is what is increasingly being done on university campuses. And here I thought that one of the reasons to go to school was to be pushed out of your "safe space" and engage with points of view that may be different from your own.

GoMuskies
11-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Talk of gun violence makes me uncomfortable. Using the word "trigger" violates my safe space.

MADXSTER
11-10-2015, 11:51 AM
The word 'Snipe' violates the safe space for some members on this board. Snipe is also short for Sniper. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable.

muskiefan82
11-10-2015, 11:55 AM
I find talk of "violating safe spaces" unnecessarily indicative of sex crimes and offensive. Please refrain from the use of words such as "safe space" and violate(s)(ing). I am sorry if my being offended offends others who are not offended. I certainly did not mean to offend.

X-band '01
11-10-2015, 12:12 PM
The word 'Snipe' violates the safe space for some members on this board. Snipe is also short for Sniper. Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable.

It's also an anagram for a part of the male anatomy.

muskiefan82
11-10-2015, 12:24 PM
It's also an anagram for a part of the male anatomy.

The "Spine" is also part of a woman's anatomy. I find it offensive that you would exclude women. I know you excluded women because any other word that Snipe is an anagram for would have been offensive.

94GRAD
11-10-2015, 12:29 PM
My safe space is being violated by women. Stop stopping me from my safe space.

X-band '01
11-10-2015, 12:30 PM
You people are mocking students for usage of the word "safe space." Do we need to have another reflection session here?

xudash
11-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I accuse you of alliteration and sentence you to death.

muskiefan82
11-10-2015, 12:51 PM
You people are mocking students for usage of the word "safe space." Do we need to have another reflection session here?

I find mirrors offensive as they reflect back the truth rather than what I wish to see therefore the use of the word "reflection" is offensive to me. I would much prefer "Time away from the stresses of this life to calmly think about HOW RIDICULOUSLY STUPID our world has become" or something similar. I apologize if I have offended those who are stupid or those who are stupid enough to be offended by the word stupid.

STL_XUfan
11-10-2015, 12:51 PM

Paraphrasing Tu, I would encourage you to tweet your views on the present situation.

MarvAlbert
11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQkXXBqj_U

Snipe
11-10-2015, 05:19 PM

I preach tolerance for the intolerant. I also preach genetic testing of poop swastikas.

bobbiemcgee
11-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Red coffee cups upset me.

nuts4xu
11-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Why do I feel this entire thread is directed at me? If loving boobs is wrong....I don't wanna be right!

http://sweetrevengebikinis.com/specialty%20bikinis/images/Mimi8-30_0055.jpg

MADXSTER
11-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Why do I feel this entire thread is directed at me? If loving boobs is wrong....I don't wanna be right!

Now that's the kind of safe place I'm talking about

GoMuskies
11-10-2015, 06:23 PM

Hold me!

xu82
11-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Hold me!

See? Now you've violated HER safe space, ogling her like that! She doesn't want you to look at her in that way! She's just trying to get more oxygen to her flesh. You should be banned! (Or honored, but definitely one of the two.)

Pete Delkus
11-10-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm offended at that picture which is causing micro-aggressions in my trousers. Wait, I mean macro....macro-aggressions.

xu82
11-10-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm offended at that picture which is causing micro-aggressions in my trousers. Wait, I mean macro....macro-aggressions.

It's usually best to go with your first instinct on these things....

:sadwave:

wkrq59
11-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Wow! Some of us have too much time on our hands. Relax, the season will soon begin. But some of this was amusing and mildly enriching

:lmao::theking::pointandlaugh:

blobfan
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm offended by red cups that don't pay sufficient homage to my own beliefs.

And we need to ban burkas and sharia law because I find them offensive.

GoMuskies
03-24-2016, 12:44 PM
More safe spaces being violated.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emory-university-students-in-pain-after-trump-2016-chalk-writings/

bobbiemcgee
03-24-2016, 01:12 PM
My safe space has been getting quite a workout this week:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punch-Wall-Target-Pad-WING-CHUN-Boxing-Fight-Sanda-Taekowndo-Training-Bag-CA-/131073184430?hash=item1e849212ae:g:nm8AAOxy0NtTEDk ~

ammtd34
03-24-2016, 01:58 PM
"Why did the swastikas [spray-painted on a Jewish fraternity house in 2014] receive a quick response while these chalkings did not?"

Oh my God.

smileyy
03-24-2016, 02:08 PM
I'm white and male and cisgendered and upper middle class. My safe space is EVERYWHERE, and unassailable. Maybe I can recognize that that's not true for everyone.

GoMuskies
03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm white and male and cisgendered and upper middle class. My safe space is EVERYWHERE, and unassailable. Maybe I can recognize that that's not true for everyone.

Maybe if those asking for their safe space weren't so dopey about it.

BandAid
03-24-2016, 02:22 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emory-university-students-in-pain-after-trump-2016-chalk-writings/

This can't be serious...how is this serious?

ammtd34
03-24-2016, 02:48 PM
This can't be serious...how is this serious?

There are actually quotes from students and faculty that are worse than this report.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/emory-students-terrified-by-trump-2016-campus-chalkings-032216

Xville
03-24-2016, 03:06 PM
thats it my mind is made up. I'm voting for Trump. I think the guy is a loose cannon but I'm so freaking sick of this PC crap that I'm going to vote for him just to spite these wimps. Get a life, get a job; and once you do...you will learn that life is not all sunshine and rainbows. You are going to encounter opinions different from yours every day in the real world. I seriously want to shake these idiots.

X-band '01
03-24-2016, 03:09 PM

"Why did the swastikas [spray-painted on a Jewish fraternity house in 2014] receive a quick response while these chalkings did not?"

Oh my God.

Was writing "Stop" in front of Trump 2016 not an option?

XMuskieFTW
thats it my mind is made up. I'm voting for Trump. I think the guy is a loose cannon but I'm so freaking sick of this PC crap that I'm going to vote for him just to spite these wimps. Get a life, get a job; and once you do...you will learn that life is not all sunshine and rainbows. You are going to encounter opinions different from yours every day in the real world. I seriously want to shake these idiots.

but if we just all hug then everything will be utopia!

smileyy
Another term for "PC crap" is "respect".

smileyy
03-24-2016, 03:10 PM

I'm glad your offense at the way respect and safety is being asked for is so important.

smileyy
03-24-2016, 03:11 PM

Yes! I'm glad this PC crap can be met with some good ol' Arbeit Macht Frei!

GoMuskies
03-24-2016, 03:12 PM
I'm glad your offense at the way respect and safety is being asked for is so important.

Honestly, you have got to be kidding me. Read some of the things these losers have said. It's embarrassing. They should have gone to Dayton.

GoMuskies
03-24-2016, 03:12 PM
Another term for "PC crap" is "respect".

Ha, no.

XMuskieFTW
03-24-2016, 03:14 PM
We should build a wall around the protesters. They'd probably feel safe inside their new wall bubble.

muskiefan82
03-24-2016, 03:29 PM
When you begin to protest what others are saying and seek to stop that speech for any reason, you begin to degrade the freedom of all and, in doing so, begin to degrade your own freedom.

I am not a fan of Nazi's, the KKK, the Black Panthers, the Black Lives Matter movement, and a host of other groups, but I am fine with them existing and saying whatever it is they want to. THAT IS ALLOWED HERE. Violence is different, but speech is fine. Trump, Sanders, Hillary, whoever, can say whatever they want.

Be an adult and listen and make your own decisions. If no one ever disagreed and there were no dissenting opinions, the world would be MUCH WORSE OFF than it is now. We really need to bring back survival of the fittest. We are destroying our future every single day with this crap.

Xville
03-24-2016, 03:31 PM
When you begin to protest what others are saying and seek to stop that speech for any reason, you begin to degrade the freedom of all and, in doing so, begin to degrade your own freedom.

I am not a fan of Nazi's, the KKK, the Black Panthers, the Black Lives Matter movement, and a host of other groups, but I am fine with them existing and saying whatever it is they want to. THAT IS ALLOWED HERE. Violence is different, but speech is fine. Trump, Sanders, Hillary, whoever, can say whatever they want.

Be an adult and listen and make your own decisions. If no one ever disagreed and there were no dissenting opinions, the world would be MUCH WORSE OFF than it is now. We really need to bring back survival of the fittest. We are destroying our future every single day with this crap.

Ding ding 10000000%...thank you!

smileyy
03-24-2016, 03:39 PM
We really need to bring back survival of the fittest. We are destroying our future every single day with this crap.

Easy to say when starting with a significant advantage.

GoMuskies
03-24-2016, 03:46 PM

These kids go to Emory.

Masterofreality
03-24-2016, 04:31 PM
These kids go to Emory.

Where tuition, board and fees are $59,000/year.
Not exactly Dekalb Community College.

chico
03-24-2016, 06:35 PM

Are you really defending people who can't bear to see a "Trump 2016" sign scribbled on a sidewalk? Those poor, fragile children! I sure hope they can somehow make their way back to Buckhead unharmed.

xu82
03-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Are you really defending people who can't bear to see a "Trump 2016" sign scribbled on a sidewalk? Those poor, fragile children! I sure hope they can somehow make their way back to Buckhead unharmed.

I had lunch at a Mexican place in Buckhead today. It did me significant harm, but I should survive.

chico
03-24-2016, 08:00 PM
I had lunch at a Mexican place in Buckhead today. It did me significant harm, but I should survive.

I hope you found a safe space to relieve the harm.

xu82
03-24-2016, 08:19 PM
I hope you found a safe space to relieve the harm.

Yeah, there was some political chalk art on the sidewalk. It didn't agree with my views, less than my lunch agreed with my stomach. I thought it was fair. I'm much better now....

chico
03-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Yeah, there was some political chalk art on the sidewalk. It didn't agree with my views, less than my lunch agreed with my stomach. I thought it was fair. I'm much better now....

So you made Trump 2016 into dump Trump 2016.

ammtd34
03-25-2016, 06:26 AM

I think that's precisely everyone's issue. They're asking for safety when they weren't unsafe.

xeus
03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
How do these kids know enough about Trump to feel so unsafe? Have they been listening to him? Presumably so. How are they able to do that, and not feel terrified and unsafe?

How this is anything other than an attempt to restrict speech, I just don't know.

I can only hope this ends with a follow-up story in October when an Emory young Republican (inevitably) dresses as Trump for Halloween and scares the shit out of these nerds:

http://www.xavierhoops.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2038&stc=1

mohr5150
03-25-2016, 07:04 AM
http://youtu.be/AS8X2Qp_6aA

I like John Goodman's response to whatever flows from Donald's mouth.

xu82
03-25-2016, 07:18 AM
I think that's precisely everyone's issue. They're asking for safety when they weren't unsafe.

But.....but..... Somebody disagreed with them! In chalk no less!!! (All the really scary gangs use chalk for their graffiti.)

XUFan09
03-25-2016, 08:07 AM
I actually see a lot of good in "safe spaces" in the right context, but these people make a mockery of it. The college student population has always contained that element that doesn't like having their opinions challenged (regardless of political orientation). I have taught some of them, and they are quick to see ANYTHING as threatening their position. These are the kinds of students who have accused me of trying to indoctrinate them...with a position wholly contrary to my own beliefs. That's how defensive they are.

Now, though, some of them are hijacking the "safe space" concept in order to put a legitimate veneer over this foolishness.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

xeus
03-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Very well said XUFAN09.

Anyone who thinks this anything but an attempt to silence a different opinion isn't paying attention. It's truly shameful behavior, and has nothing to do with smileyy's gender identity or Trump's opinions.

muskienick
03-25-2016, 02:26 PM

This is the perfect example of one "cutting his nose off to spite his face."

XUFan09
03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
Very well said XUFAN09.

Anyone who thinks this anything but an attempt to silence a different opinion isn't paying attention. It's truly shameful behavior, and has nothing to do with smileyy's gender identity or Trump's opinions.
The problem is that I don't think it's deliberate. The defensiveness is so ingrained in this college student subset that they BELIEVE they are under attack. It doesn't help that in the case of Trump, he's borrowing enough from the fascist playbook to appear threatening, even if he isn't actually a fascist. So, it's an initial premise, itself based off appearances more than reality, that is then taken to a nonsensical endpoint.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SemajParlor
03-29-2016, 05:19 PM
The biggest issue I have with this particular protest is that it opens the door for people to paint all protesters and reasons to protest with one broad stroke.

That's the sad part.

There are very real legitimate issues that I applaud people for protesting. This ain't one of them.

Juice
03-29-2016, 08:53 PM
These kids didn't/don't have enough people in their lives to tell them to shut the f*ck up. People need that to check them every once in awhile. These kids clearly don't have that.

xu82
03-30-2016, 08:04 AM
Maybe this is the investment club? They'd have cause to be nervous, right?

UCGRAD4X
03-30-2016, 08:31 AM
"But this man is being supported by students on our campus and our administration shows that they, by their silence, support it as well ..."

Too me, this type of response is the most disturbing part of this trend. We're not just talking about restricting speech, but thought.
Not only can you not disagree, but you must express explicit agreement.
And if this is not enough, they take it even further; you might be at risk of condemnation (and what retribution?) if you don't respond quickly enough.
What if your response isn't vociferous enough, or in the correct format, or acceptable font?

This all really makes me 'askeerd' - where is my regress? xavierhoops.com

GoMuskies
05-25-2016, 12:27 PM
A frightening article from The New Yorker. Whatever you do, stay the fuck away from Oberlin College.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/the-new-activism-of-liberal-arts-colleges

XU 87
05-25-2016, 12:30 PM
And maybe also stay away from DePaul:

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/exclusive-depaul-sjw-ringleader-says-milo-threatens-my-safety-could-cause-massacres/

94GRAD
05-25-2016, 12:45 PM
A frightening article from The New Yorker. Whatever you do, stay the fuck away from Oberlin College.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/30/the-new-activism-of-liberal-arts-colleges

You need a warning letting everyone know this is closer to a book than an article.

GoMuskies
05-25-2016, 12:47 PM
You need a warning letting everyone know this is closer to a book than an article.

Good point, because much like food, we all need informed consent to what we put in our brains.

muskiefan82
05-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Good. Lord.

NY44
05-25-2016, 01:26 PM

Does Snipe write for the New Yorker? I think he'd be a good fit.

X-band '01
05-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Did you see the 40th paragraph where it says "I bet you're still not reading this?"

xu82
05-25-2016, 03:16 PM
Did you see the 40th paragraph where it says "I bet you're still not reading this?"

It does beg for skimming. The best part were the cartoons. Someone should do the little shits a favor and punch them in the face, then tell them to walk it off. Non-negotiable demands? OK, bye bye and have a nice life. (I'm just not in the mood for this crap any more.)

bjf123
05-25-2016, 07:36 PM
I fear for the future of our country.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juice
05-25-2016, 08:11 PM
It does beg for skimming. The best part were the cartoons. Someone should do the little shits a favor and punch them in the face, then tell them to walk it off. Non-negotiable demands? OK, bye bye and have a nice life. (I'm just not in the mood for this crap any more.)

"You know what's non-negotiable? Your status as a student here. Have a nice time at another university." - what every school president should be saying

xu82
05-25-2016, 08:15 PM
"You know what's non-negotiable? Your status as a student here. Have a nice time at another university." - what every school president should be saying

Damn, the man has protected against fair process once again! (OK, just maybe.) Public Reps!

Strange Brew
05-25-2016, 09:57 PM
And maybe also stay away from DePaul:

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/exclusive-depaul-sjw-ringleader-says-milo-threatens-my-safety-could-cause-massacres/

I highly recommend visiting Milo's YouTube channel. He's funny and he has definitely made me view issues a bit differently.

ammtd34
05-26-2016, 07:06 AM
Milo has to laugh every time these morons protest him, knowing that there's going to be another article about him.

Cheesehead
05-26-2016, 09:41 AM

My son took an official visit there for basketball and we both came away with the same impression, "this place is weird". It's also in the middle of nowhere.

As he said, my high school gym is bigger than their gym.

Needless to say, it was not for him and $60,000 price tag was not for us. It was a "Thanks for your time" trip.

MauriceX
05-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote from the article: "The president of Northwestern endorsed “safe spaces,” refuges open only to certain identity groups."

This is dumb. It also sums up pretty well everything that I have a problem with in these new movements. Basically every equality fight ever has been about inclusion, whether it be race, religion, gender, sexual identity, whatever. And now, all of a sudden, we want things to be more divisive? We want rooms where people of certain backgrounds aren't allowed to enter? Isn't that taking a big step backward?

I guess it isn't a completely new idea. You can go back to the old thing about fraternities. A black fraternity is common, but a white fraternity is racist. It just seems silly to me that it's ok if the minority decide they want to be exclusive, but not the majority. Why can't we all just be inclusive and move on? People are people. Done. Next subject.

GoMuskies
05-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Quote from the article: "The president of Northwestern endorsed “safe spaces,” refuges open only to certain identity groups."

This is dumb. It also sums up pretty well everything that I have a problem with in these new movements. Basically every equality fight ever has been about inclusion, whether it be race, religion, gender, sexual identity, whatever. And now, all of a sudden, we want things to be more divisive? We want rooms where people of certain backgrounds aren't allowed to enter? Isn't that taking a big step backward?

I guess it isn't a completely new idea. You can go back to the old thing about fraternities. A black fraternity is common, but a white fraternity is racist. It just seems silly to me that it's ok if the minority decide they want to be exclusive, but not the majority. Why can't we all just be inclusive and move on? People are people. Done. Next subject.

You don't understand the minority experience. Power. Marginalized.

Just throw those buzzwords/phrases around in any order with any other text mixed in and you've got your rationale.

xubrew
05-26-2016, 12:39 PM
Is there something inherent about young people collectively needing to fight for a cause?? By that I mean, do they need the fight more than they need the cause??

When you're part of a collective effort, or a collective idea, or a collective fight, it's a powerful feeling. You feel connected to something. You feel bonded to something. I think young people feed off that.

I know this may come off as being cynical (much like the vast majority of my posts), but I'm actually kind of being serious. If they don't have a cause, then do they take it upon themselves to find one?

Anyway, I don't know if I'm right or wrong. It's just something to think about.

MADXSTER
06-23-2016, 06:04 PM
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06/23/college-profs-investigated-for-acknowledging-existence-of-other-opinions/

In at least one of the cases, a transgendered student was offended merely because the professor acknowledged the opinion that some believe transgender isn't a real thing.

He's not accused of arguing that position, even for the sake of argument. Nope. Just admitting that it exists was too offensive.

xu82
06-23-2016, 06:16 PM
https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/06/23/college-profs-investigated-for-acknowledging-existence-of-other-opinions/

In at least one of the cases, a transgendered student was offended merely because the professor acknowledged the opinion that some believe transgender isn't a real thing.

He's not accused of arguing that position, even for the sake of argument. Nope. Just admitting that it exists was too offensive.

And the pussification of America continues.....

At least the article points out how silly it is, but I'm sick of this and all other issues that offend ignorant, entitled children........ AND GET OFF MY LAWN!

GoMuskies
06-23-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm fairly certain not giving an F would be preferable.

xu82
06-23-2016, 07:48 PM
I don't really care about any position they want to take. Go for it, make fools of yourselves. I don't want an administration to take them too seriously and give in to them just because they're noisy, entitled goofballs. It only encourages more foolishness.

bobbiemcgee
07-21-2016, 11:59 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/20/fancypants-college-in-cleveland-offers-safe-space-for-students-traumatized-by-republican-convention/

WTF?

GoMuskies
07-21-2016, 03:21 PM
The professor whining about the "storm troopers" being housed at CWRU is a dick.

xubrew
07-21-2016, 07:14 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/20/fancypants-college-in-cleveland-offers-safe-space-for-students-traumatized-by-republican-convention/

WTF?

This is why a small part of me, granted it is a VERY small part, wants Trump to win.

Juice
07-21-2016, 09:00 PM
This is why a small part of me, granted it is a VERY small part, wants Trump to win.

They'll lose their god damn minds.

waggy
07-21-2016, 09:33 PM
They should get rid of the sheet metal scrap someone dumped on their buildings. Talk about WTF?

X-band '01
07-22-2016, 10:36 AM

Yes, it would be funny to watch liberal heads like John Oliver, Jon Stewart, and every comedian/actor's heads explode. It would be even funnier to read the meltdowns on Facebook and Twitter.

And then we'll wake up the following morning and ask ourselves just how hungover we'll be after realizing we elected the class bully for Student Body President.

Muskie in dayton
07-22-2016, 09:40 PM

That small part of me keeps growing with every bit of crap like this that I see.

X-band '01
08-02-2016, 12:23 PM
University of Houston Student Body VP Under Fire for "All Lives Matter" Gets Punished By Peers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/UH-student-body-VP-under-fire-for-All-Lives-9002537.php#photo-10507678)

These are her sanctions, per KTRK-TV in Houston (http://abc13.com/education/uh-student-leader-sanctioned-for-black-lives-matter-comments/1449956/)

Thankfully, she was not asked to "revoke white privilege" in this case.

Juice
08-02-2016, 12:41 PM
University of Houston Student Body VP Under Fire for "All Lives Matter" Gets Punished By Peers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/UH-student-body-VP-under-fire-for-All-Lives-9002537.php#photo-10507678)

These are her sanctions, per KTRK-TV in Houston (http://abc13.com/education/uh-student-leader-sanctioned-for-black-lives-matter-comments/1449956/)

Thankfully, she was not asked to "revoke white privilege" in this case.

Why didn't she just quit the SGA? Why the hell would she still associate herself with pansy ass nerds like those?

xu82
08-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Why didn't she just quit the SGA? Why the hell would she still associate herself with pansy ass nerds like those?

EXACTLY! Start your own group if you must with people who are not weenies.

X Factor
08-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Welcome to liberalism.

GoMuskies
08-28-2016, 04:53 PM
The University of Chicago gave its incoming students the ultimate trigger warning.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/26/491531869/university-of-chicago-tells-freshmen-it-does-not-support-trigger-warnings

xeus
08-28-2016, 05:08 PM
The University of Chicago gave its incoming students the ultimate trigger warning.

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/26/491531869/university-of-chicago-tells-freshmen-it-does-not-support-trigger-warnings

This is fantastic.

xu82
08-28-2016, 05:35 PM
This is fantastic.

I agree! A little sad that they have to warn the little wussies, but a step in the right direction. I would NOT send my child to any place that enabled such pathetic thinking.

NY44
09-12-2016, 11:34 AM
‘This is beyond politics’: Vandals destroy 9/11 memorial on the Occidental College campus - WP (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/09/12/this-is-beyond-politics-vandals-destroy-911-memorial-on-the-occidental-college-campus/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news)

GoMuskies
09-12-2016, 11:56 AM
‘This is beyond politics’: Vandals destroy 9/11 memorial on the Occidental College campus - WP (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/09/12/this-is-beyond-politics-vandals-destroy-911-memorial-on-the-occidental-college-campus/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news)

That's an interesting political statement. Yikes.

NY44
09-12-2016, 12:57 PM
That's an interesting political statement. Yikes.

It makes me sick. Especially when you consider that a 19 year-old freshman was all of 4 years old on 9/11.

xubrew
10-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I am sorry. I could not make it past the headline. It's just too mindblowingly stupid. I have a moderate tolerance for stupid, but this is beyond what I can tolerate. One of you will need to summarize it for me...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-florida-counseling-students-offended-by-halloween-costumes/

muskiefan82
10-19-2016, 11:10 AM
I recommend NOT wearing a white sheet and going out as a ghost.

GoMuskies
10-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I am sorry. I could not make it past the headline. It's just too mindblowingly stupid. I have a moderate tolerance for stupid, but this is beyond what I can tolerate. One of you will need to summarize it for me...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/university-of-florida-counseling-students-offended-by-halloween-costumes/

See Yale. UF is just covering their asses.

X-band '01
10-19-2016, 11:36 AM
See Yale. UF is just covering their asses.

Good point - Yale is much more likely to produce a future US President than Florida is.

xubrew
10-19-2016, 11:40 AM
There are two groups of people who need to be catapulted out of their safe spaces for both the good and amusement of the rest of us. The first is the ultra-Evangelical Christians who feel that they are being oppressed, as if America has had its foot on the throats of the white Christians for long enough!! They need to come to some sort of realization as to what it's like to actually be repressed the way far too many people are in far too many parts of the world. The other is college students/extreme leftists who are offended by things that are not even the slightest bit offensive. They need to come to some sort of realization as to what it's like to REALLY be offended!!

Both groups need help! We need to help them!

Smails
10-19-2016, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo

One of my favs about the utter absurdity of our PC society.

xubrew
10-19-2016, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceS_jkKjIgo

One of my favs about the utter absurdity of our PC society.

That is awesome!!!

Pete Delkus
10-19-2016, 01:24 PM
So for my neighbors Halloween party

I can be:
- An Irish guy dressed as a drunken leprechaun, talking with a brogue
- An Octoberfest'n drunken German, swirling Bavarian pretzels, repeating 'Sprichst du Deutsch'
- A spaghetti twirlin' Mario Italian, carrying a loaf of bread, yelling 'Mama Mia'
- A French artist, wearing a beret and saying wi'wi'
- Crocodile Dundee esque Australian - saying G'Day Mate.
- A vodka drinking comrade, with babushka, with the line "I must break you"

I can't be:
Mexican
African
Japanese
Chinese
Native America
Indian

I'm so glad liberals are so inclusive.

SemajParlor
10-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Back in my day we could be any racial stereotype we wanted for Halloween. This is BS!

X-band '01
10-19-2016, 01:43 PM

I can be:
- An Octoberfest'n drunken German, swirling Bavarian pretzels, repeating 'Sprichst du Deutsch'
- A spaghetti twirlin' Mario Italian, carrying a loaf of bread, yelling 'Mama Mia'

I can't be:
Mexican
African
Japanese
Chinese
Native America
Indian

That's just people. That's not even including Harambe this year.

Caf
10-19-2016, 01:43 PM

I can be:

I can't be:
Mexican
African
Japanese
Chinese
Native America
Indian

Dressing up for Halloween? How old are you dude?

Smails
10-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Is this a real question or are you just being a dick? You do realize that adults have costume parties.....riiiight?

94GRAD
10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Is this a real question or are you just being a dick? You do realize that adults have costume parties.....riiiight?

Christmas is the only holiday adults spend more money on!!!

Caf
10-19-2016, 03:25 PM

I choose option C. A joke.

I do think the point is outlandish. I didn't know halloween costumes were a partisan issue.

xu82
10-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Christmas is the only holiday adults spend more money on!!!

I believe that. In our old neighborhood in FL, adults not only dress up, they spend weeks converting 3 car garages into haunted houses and set up stations in their driveways with live bands and a variety of food and drink options. You can get a Snickers bar at one house, and margarita and a taco bar at the next. They have over a hundred golf carts with people traveling around having the time of their lives. At 8:00pm everyone would head up to the club where they had costume contests, DJ's and more food and drink. We would invite friends from all over to join us for the best day of the year!

94GRAD
10-19-2016, 04:22 PM
I believe that. In our old neighborhood in FL, adults not only dress up, they spend weeks converting 3 car garages into haunted houses and set up stations in their driveways with live bands and a variety of food and drink options. You can get a Snickers bar at one house, and margarita and a taco bar at the next. They have over a hundred golf carts with people traveling around having the time of their lives. At 8:00pm everyone would head up to the club where they had costume contests, DJ's and more food and drink. We would invite friends from all over to join us for the best day of the year!

This doesn't sound terrible!!!!

GoMuskies
10-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Nothing that elaborate for me, but I used to take the kids out in the wagon in Boston, and the kids had to share the wagon with the cooler. That was fun.

Now that the kids are older I have to carry my beer. Bummer.

xu82
10-19-2016, 05:14 PM
Almost every year my wife would say "why is it women use this as an excuse to dress up as a slutty something or other?", to which I reply "I don't know, but isn't it great?".

Lamont Sanford
10-20-2016, 08:41 AM

Sounds like Caf needs to retreat to his safe space and just be a dick there.

nuts4xu
10-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Almost every year my wife would say "why is it women use this as an excuse to dress up as a slutty something or other?", to which I reply "I don't know, but isn't it great?".

Yes, it IS great! Hope to see these two seeking treats again this year!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zk5NYqR1CtA/maxresdefault.jpg

Caf
10-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Sounds like Caf needs to retreat to his safe space and just be a dick there.

You're right. I'll go back to my safe place where I can be whatever I want for Halloween!

Lamont Sanford
10-20-2016, 01:21 PM
You're right. I'll go back to my safe place where I can be whatever I want for Halloween!

Just as long as you don't wear something you libs think is offensive. You could always go as the sailor or construction worker from the Village People.

Juice
10-20-2016, 01:29 PM
Just as long as you don't wear something you libs think is offensive. You could always go as the sailor or construction worker from the Village People.

You'd be appropriating both gay and blue collar culture in one costume. Can't do that.

Caf
10-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Eh I was thinking about going as a soldier. No one would get offended at that one. ESPECIALLY not the libs.

ron meXico
10-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Eh I was thinking about going as a soldier. No one would get offended at that one. ESPECIALLY not the libs.

Chaf: That's actually a very profound statement. You must be spending too much time in the basement of a California pawn shop.
The military overwhelmingly votes conservative to the tune of almost 80% because libs absolutely loathe the military and the honor, strength and power they represent.

Caf
10-20-2016, 08:26 PM
Chaf: That's actually a very profound statement. You must be spending too much time in the basement of a California pawn shop.
The military overwhelmingly votes conservative to the tune of almost 80% because libs absolutely loathe the military and the honor, strength and power they represent.

Caf
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Campus PC culture is so rampant that NYU is paying to silence me (https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/03/campus-pc-culture-is-so-rampant-that-nyu-is-paying-to-silence-me/?tid=pm_pop_b)

xu82
11-03-2016, 04:09 PM
Campus PC culture is so rampant that NYU is paying to silence me (https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/03/campus-pc-culture-is-so-rampant-that-nyu-is-paying-to-silence-me/?tid=pm_pop_b)

I can be silent...... for the right price. Feel free to PM me if interested.

This is ridiculous, btw.

STL_XUfan
11-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I guess we can add theaters to the list of safe places.

X-band '01
11-19-2016, 03:46 PM
Not if you're Abraham Lincoln.

Strange Brew
11-19-2016, 03:47 PM
I guess we can add theaters to the list of safe places.

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
Threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you

bobbiemcgee
11-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Not if you're Abraham Lincoln.
or live in Colorado.

Kahns Krazy
11-20-2016, 08:44 AM
too soon

Caf
07-12-2017, 01:48 PM
A College Student Who Seeks to Learn Rather Than to Teach (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/a-college-student-seeks-to-learn-rather-than-to-teach/531594/)

Hits the nail on the head for me.

XUOFM
07-12-2017, 03:07 PM
This made want to laugh, but am saddened that it is our reality,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYd5cRlROE

GoMuskies
07-12-2017, 06:15 PM
A College Student Who Seeks to Learn Rather Than to Teach (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/a-college-student-seeks-to-learn-rather-than-to-teach/531594/)

Hits the nail on the head for me.

A college student focused on learning?!? Novel.