PDA

View Full Version : Big East Cross Championships at Nicklaus Center

Emp
11-01-2015, 09:52 AM
I was fortunate to be able to work and attend the Big East Cross Country Championships yesterday at the Nicklaus Golf Center. This was the first conference championship hosted by Xavier. The league and the Xavier staff did a great job.

The Flory Players Center st the tennis stadium was the headquarters, very nice place. The. Course was in perfect shape, very spectator friendly. Each coach had a cart and could follow his/ her team. Timing mats gave intermediate team scores, which in the case of the men's race was very cool. Villanova was leading by four points early, but Georgetown eked out a 1 point win as places were up for grabs right to the line.

Providence is the no.6 women's Div 1 team in the nation, and it showed. They swept 1-2-3. The Providence AD and Director of sports operations were both on hand and very complimentary about the course, organization and support.

Xavier men still have some growing to do. A chance at fourth was a long shot, and injuries pushed them back in the field. The women were stronger, finishing fourth with three runners in the top 20 making all conference.

The Big East had live TV streaming coverage and commentary through the BigEast app, live scoring, instant results on line. It was top shelf production and support. This truly is a major conference.

Xavier students and staff were out in big numbers as volunteers and supporters. Coach Brian Orner and the athletic department done themselves and us proud.

fellahmuskie
11-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I would have been there, but had another commitment yesterday. Thanks for the report. It sounds like it was a great day. I hope Xavier hosts again, so I can go.

xudash
11-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Very pleased to read this. Thanks for sharing.