PDA

View Full Version : Stain Train

Cheesehead
09-01-2015, 11:24 AM
From Banners on the Parkway

First, the reporting:

@AdamZagoria Former Xavier Musketeers, lefty PF/C Matt Stainbrook, will start pros in Germany playing for Crailsheim Merlins
— Gonzalo Bedia Diaz. (@gonzalobedia) August 28, 2015

Obviously, huge congratulations to Matt! When he showed up on campus three years ago, he looked more likely to be cast as a body double for Chris Farley than to sign a contract playing professional basketball. That he has done the latter instead of the former is a testament to his hard work and dedication as well as his size and skill on the floor.

You know all about Stainbrook, so let's talk about Crailsheim and the Merlins. The Merlins are part of TSV Crailsheim, a sporting club that features 3,000 members playing 20 sports ranging from hoops to fistball, whatever that is. The Merlins have been rising steadily in German basketball, but they suffered a setback last year, finishing 18th and being relegated from Basketball Bundesliga (the top league) to Pro A thanks to an 8-26 record.

Stainbrook comes in to replace former Texas A&M C Kourtney Roberson, who is not recovering from injury the way the team would like. He'll play his home games in 3,000-seat Arena Hohenlohe in Crailsheim, which is in south-central Germany.

Again, big congratulations to Matt on taking the next step of his basketball journey. It's always good to see former Musketeers keep cashing checks.

XU 87
09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Congrats to Matt. Well deserved.

Any idea what kind of money one makes playing for the Merlins?

ballyhoohoo
09-01-2015, 01:41 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/01/cbae994d302e4fb85d3ede22403bf1d1.jpgEin neuer Center wurde nun mit Matthew Stainbrook für die Merlins gefunden . Der 23-Jährige kam gestern Vormittag aus Amerika eingeflogen und hat abends bereits das erste Training unter Coach Ingo Enskat absolviert. 2,08 Meter ist der Center groß und wiegt 122 Kilogramm. „Wir hatten ihn schon vor längerem etwas im Visier und unter Beobachtung“ so Romig.

Matt

Matt war im Sommer in Orlando bei der NBA Summer League aktiv und versuchte dort direkt einen Vertrag zu bekommen. Stainbrook hat zuletzt für die „Xaver Musketeers“ in der College-League gespielt und sein Team in die „Sweet16“, die 16 besten Teams unter den US-Colleges gebracht. „Wir müssen ihn natürlich als Rookie jetzt ins Team integrieren, da kommt der Trip nach Österreich am kommenden Wochen genau zum richten Zeitpunkt.“, so der Geschäftsführer.
Auch in den Rebound-Statistiken der vergangenen Jahre taucht der in Ohio geborene Basketball-Profi ganz weit vorne auf. „Matt hat eine sehr unorthodoxe Spielweise, aber eine äußerst hohe Spielintelligenz und kann seine Mitspieler dadurch sehr gut in Szene setzen“, so Romig . Er ist zudem auf und neben dem Platz sehr kommunikativ und zeigt keinerlei Berührungsängste so zumindest der erste Eindruck. Romig traut ihm eine Führungsrolle im Team des Erstligisten zu, sollte er die Vorschlusslorbeeren in den nächsten Wochen im Training bestätigen. „Wir werden ihn gleich beim Turnier in Österreich am kommenden Wochenende testen.“

ballyhoohoo
09-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Translation

A new Center has now been found with Matthew Stainbrook for Merlin. The 23-year-old came yesterday morning flown in from America and has already completed the first evening training under Coach Ingo Enskat. 2.08 meters is the center tall and weighs 122 kilograms. "We had him some time ago something in sight and under observation" so Romig.

Mate

Matt was in the summer actively in Orlando in the NBA Summer League, trying to get a contract directly there. Stainbrook has most recently played for "Xavier Musketeers" in the College League and brought his team into the "Sweet16" 16 best teams among US colleges. "Of course, we have to integrate into the team as a rookie now him because the trip comes to Austria this coming weeks just to set up the time." Says the managing director.
Also in the rebound statistics of recent years emerged born in Ohio professional basketball quite far to the front. "Matt has a very unorthodox way of playing, but an extremely high game intelligence and his teammates can thus very well set the scene," said Romig. He is also very communicative and off the court, showing no fear of contact so at least the first impression. Romig dares him to a leadership role in the team of the first division, he should confirm the Vorschlusslorbeeren in the next few weeks in training. "We will test it equal to the tournament in Austria next weekend."

xu82
09-01-2015, 05:29 PM
The translation helped.... more than a little. Thanks.

I hope it's the first step in Matt making some very good money. It's got to be an amazing experience regardless.

sirthought
09-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Congrats to Matt. That is a beautiful part of the world. Kind of like KY with hills and valleys.
It is a very very small city, about 1.5 hour outside of Stuttgart. Stuttgart is a pretty cool city, about the size of Cincinnati.

ballyhoohoo
09-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Schwaebian food is delicious. Hope he finds a treadmill

murray87
09-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Congrats to Matt. All the hard work paid off!

XUMIOH12
09-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Good luck to Matt! hopefully he has a great career and enjoys it over there.

bjf123
09-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Do they have Uber in Germany? C'mon, you know you were all thinking it!

Congrats, Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muskiefan82
09-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Now I have yet another reason to get back to Germany.

sirthought
09-03-2015, 05:37 AM
Do they have Uber in Germany? C'mon, you know you were all thinking it!

Congrats, Matt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's called Over.

American X
01-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Mr. Stainbrook was in the Cintas yesterday for the Creighton game. (https://twitter.com/RickBroering/status/952256834563395586)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTcYh5yWAAAea3R.jpg

Cheesehead
01-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Ed was there too. Love seeing former players support the program.

sirthought
04-15-2018, 10:42 PM
Looks like Stainbrook's team finished as champions of their whatever.

https://twitter.com/MattStainbrook/status/985537771061370881

https://t.co/s4jAgB0JRs

UCGRAD4X
04-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Congratulations to Matt.

How do you say "Stain Train" in German?

And I think I still need a translation of the translation re: Vorschlusslorbeeren

sirthought
04-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Not positive but I think it's premature praise

Cheesehead
05-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Ran into Staintrain at Dana's on Thursday. He is now playing in a Tier 2 league in Spain and his brother, Tim is also playing in Spain but a Tier 4 league. Stain said he enjoyed Spain and that the Tier 1 league is considered to be a notch below the NBA. Very nice guy and I think he is even thinner now. Looked to be in good shape. He said he is going to play in Europe as long as he can to avoid " getting real job".

GIMMFD
05-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Ran into Staintrain at Dana's on Thursday. He is now playing in a Tier 2 league in Spain and his brother, Tim is also playing in Spain but a Tier 4 league. Stain said he enjoyed Spain and that the Tier 1 league is considered to be a notch below the NBA. Very nice guy and I think he is even thinner now. Looked to be in good shape. He said he is going to play in Europe as long as he can to avoid " getting real job".

Hey I don't blame him, make your money big guy, definitely has a fan in me. He really developed over his Xavier career and deserves it!!

sirthought
05-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Brad Redford interviews Stainbrook!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVEQoa3Pcuk