PDA

View Full Version : College Football 2015

Pages : [1] 2 3

GoMuskies
08-27-2015, 02:07 PM
One week to kickoff! I'll be in Atlanta for Louisville/Auburn in 9 days. Cannot wait. So who's making the playoffs this year? And what are the "best bets" in week 1?

Xville
08-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Not sure about the other two but I think Ohio State and TCU are virtual locks this year to make the playoff. Ohio State has an insanely easy schedule (they may play 1 ranked school until the playoff and its at home), and then TCU has only one tough road game (Oklahoma) which they should be able to get thru. Then, it is whoever wins the SEC and probably whoever wins the Pac 12.

I like the playoff, but they really need to go to eight teams....P5 Champions, and then 3 at larges....maybe one of those at larges is the highest ranked non-P5 team so at least Cinderella has a chance.

Milhouse
08-27-2015, 02:58 PM
OSU does have an easy schedule...but that first game might be difficult. Away game with suspensions/injuries...Saw they'll be missing 4 of their top 5 receivers that game.

Outside of March Madness there is nothing better in sports than a Saturday filled with College Football.

I'm starting off the season going to Texas vs. ND, absolutely can't wait.

D-West & PO-Z
08-27-2015, 03:07 PM
OSU does have an easy schedule...but that first game might be difficult. Away game with suspensions/injuries...Saw they'll be missing 4 of their top 5 receivers that game.

Outside of March Madness there is nothing better in sports than a Saturday filled with College Football.

Other than a Sunday filled with Pro football.

ammtd34
08-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Nice. Wish I was going. We're having a big party for it, though.

GIMMFD
08-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Not sure about the other two but I think Ohio State and TCU are virtual locks this year to make the playoff. Ohio State has an insanely easy schedule (they may play 1 ranked school until the playoff and its at home), and then TCU has only one tough road game (Oklahoma) which they should be able to get thru. Then, it is whoever wins the SEC and probably whoever wins the Pac 12.

I like the playoff, but they really need to go to eight teams....P5 Champions, and then 3 at larges....maybe one of those at larges is the highest ranked non-P5 team so at least Cinderella has a chance.

I wouldn't consider TCU a virtual lock. Baylor will be good again this year, Oklahoma on the road is never a given, and this may be some major bias, but WVU's defense is going to be very damn good this year, and with decent QB play, could be a huge sleeper this year even with the loss of Alford, White, Trickett, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if WVU upset TCU honestly.

xu82
08-27-2015, 06:57 PM
One week to kickoff! I'll be in Atlanta for Louisville/Auburn in 9 days. Cannot wait. So who's making the playoffs this year? And what are the "best bets" in week 1?

CRAP! That snuck up on me. I've texted an Auburn buddy and he's in if I get back from Florida in time. Tix are less than 500 left (which means pricey by the time I know I can make it). What a great way to kick off the season though!

Strange Brew
08-27-2015, 11:09 PM

So jealous Milhouse. It should be an awesome game.

This is the beginning of the best time of the year for me. College FB on Sat, NFL on Sun. Mrs. Brew and I having a couple of beers watching games and managing our FFL teams. Then, the best month. Nov, football and XU hoops.....and Thanksgiving.

I'm so pumped! Go Irish!

STL_XUfan
08-28-2015, 07:52 AM
I have my tickets bought for 3 SEC road games this year:

Mizzou @ Georgia
Mizzou @ Vandy
Mizzou @ UK

Hopefully my Tigers can once again be the SEC East's sacrifice offering for the SEC championship game.

xubrew
08-28-2015, 09:02 AM
College football, even at the FCS level, or div3 level, is great. You're outside all day in nice fall weather. You could be watching the grass grow and still be having a good time.

kyxu
08-28-2015, 09:15 AM
So jealous Milhouse. It should be an awesome game.

This is the beginning of the best time of the year for me. College FB on Sat, NFL on Sun. Mrs. Brew and I having a couple of beers watching games and managing our FFL teams. Then, the best month. Nov, football and XU hoops.....and Thanksgiving.

I'm so pumped! Go Irish!

A key thing to remember is that tomorrow will be the LAST Saturday without college football or college basketball until April.

xubrew
08-28-2015, 09:34 AM
A key thing to remember is that tomorrow will be the LAST Saturday without college football or college basketball until April.

Div2 kicks off tomorrow, as does an FCS game between Montana and North Dakota State, both of whom are highly ranked. So, it's here!!!

GoMuskies
08-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Which FBS team will the Bizen be exposing next Saturday? It's an annual tradition at this point.

Actually just checked their schedule, and it looks like the FBS schools have wised up and stopped scheduling NDSU.

xubrew
08-28-2015, 10:50 AM
If North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Montana and Montana State were to all suddenly and collectively reclassify to FBS, they'd be ineligible for bowls until the scholarship numbers were up, but they'd also instantly be better than CUSA, Sun Belt, and the MAC despite not being bowl eligible.

Most people don't pay any attention to the FCS unless they happen to be a fan of one of the schools. Collectively, it's not as good. I'm not going to argue that it is. The top of the FCS, however, is better than what many may realize. They are better than a lot of teams that actually make it to bowls. North Dakota State is no joke. Neither was Georgia Southern, who won nine games a year ago against an FBS schedule and almost beat Georgia Tech, but wasn't eligible for a bowl because they didn't have enough scholarship players yet. How ironic is that??

So, tomorrow's game between NDSU and Montana won't be like watching two Top 25 teams, but it is the equivalent of watching two mid-level bowl teams. And, it's college football, so it's worth tuning in to.

Juice
08-28-2015, 01:36 PM
F*ck Tim Beckman

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/637330814678790144

Milhouse
08-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Yep told my wife this is the last weekend with ZERO obligations until X is out of the tourney.

GoMuskies
08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
I guess it's fair to assume that Illinois will suck again this year.

OH.X.MI
08-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Michigan State with one of the best early seasons games of the year on September 12. Oregon at home! Cuyahoga Falls and Walsh Jesuit's chosen son Connor Cook is going to lead the Spartans to the promise land this year!

xubrew
08-29-2015, 02:40 PM
It is now officially football season!

GoMuskies
08-29-2015, 08:05 PM
I had a small wager on Montana +14.5. That was fun!

PM Thor
08-29-2015, 10:44 PM
All I know is...the sooner college football starts, the closer we are to college basketball.

xubrew
08-31-2015, 08:30 AM
All I know is...the sooner college football starts, the closer we are to college basketball.

Second Friday in November!!!

It actually starts before that if you count the exhibition season, which was never interesting, but was once far more interesting than it currently is.

muskiefan82
08-31-2015, 08:44 AM

It actually starts before that if you count the exhibition season, which was never interesting, but was once far more interesting than it currently is.

This is a good point. Those Marathon Oil and AAU All Star Teams were actually fairly challenging.

XUMIOH12
08-31-2015, 10:57 AM
Michigan State with one of the best early seasons games of the year on September 12. Oregon at home! Cuyahoga Falls and Walsh Jesuit's chosen son Connor Cook is going to lead the Spartans to the promise land this year!

I think Connor Cook is overrated. Pretty good college QB, but I don't get any of the NFL hype he gets.

XUMIOH12
08-31-2015, 10:59 AM

Can't wait! I count the exhibition season since it gives me "actual" college basketball to watch after not seeing any for 6+ months

xubrew
08-31-2015, 11:09 AM
This is a good point. Those Marathon Oil and AAU All Star Teams were actually fairly challenging.

Some of them actually were. Athletes in Action had about four or five teams, but their A team was actually really good. They had former college stars, and even some former NBA players on it. There was one year where they beat three teams that ended up in the Elite Eight.

I remember Duke played the Russian national team one year, and got absolutely destroyed.

Of all the rules I'd like to see changed, the exhibition rules don't even crack the top ten, but I would like to see it changed. I do think you should be able to schedule all star teams, or non college teams if you want to. It is, after all, a game that doesn't count.

I also don't like that if you schedule another div1 team that it HAS to be a closed scrimmage. I'm not opposed to being able to close the scrimmage if you want to, but I am opposed to it being mandatory whether you want to or not. If you want to play an exhibition game against another div1 school, and you want to open it up to the public, then why can't you?? It's the only sport where you can't.

xubrew
08-31-2015, 11:10 AM
I have taken GoMuskies' college football thread, and turned it into a discussion about exhibition college basketball games!!

I WIN!!!

paulxu
08-31-2015, 11:13 AM
Hell, I thought this was a football thread. Speaking of which, Thursday night 6 PM, big boy football starts.

http://www.americasbestonline.com/south%20carolina1.jpg

xubrew
09-05-2015, 07:31 PM
In my opinion, and it is just a difference of opinion when it comes to strategizing, that last timeout by Louisville was ill advised.

X-band '01
09-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Yep - by comparison, Notre Dame's new Under Armour uniform pants don't look nearly as ill advised compared to Louisville today.

If Ohio State gets a pair of gold pants for each win over Michigan, do Notre Dame's opponents get a pair of sweaty gold pants? Texas doesn't look like they'll be the first team to do so.

paulxu
09-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Hah. Northwestern beats Stanford.

Also, Texas doesn't look very good.

X-band '01
09-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Hah. Northwestern beats Sanford.

Northwestern's win was the only notable win for the Big 10 today; Nebraska loses on a Hail Mary and Temple breaks the curse of FDR against Penn State.

GoMuskies
09-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I hate Auburn.

Strange Brew
09-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Hah. Northwestern beats Stanford.

Texas looks as soft as the paper tigers did in Dec against ND's o-line.

Go Irish, great start!

xu82
09-06-2015, 08:46 AM
I hate Auburn.

Hopefully you'll get to see them take a good pounding at Cintas this year. Revenge game.

muskienick
09-06-2015, 10:22 AM
In my opinion, and it is just a difference of opinion when it comes to strategizing, that last timeout by Louisville was ill advised.

It was obviously a brain fart on the coaching staff's part based on the comments by the TV play-by-play announcers. That, or the U of L coach had a bet on the game that would have been scuttled had the Cardinals gotten another possession that would have resulted in a successful "Hail Mary" play.

GoMuskies
09-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Louisville beat the spread, so we at least know that was not the issue.

muskienick
09-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Louisville beat the spread, so we at least know that was not the issue.

That was my point, GM! Maybe he bet the opposition would win and cover.

xudash
09-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Good for Marshall.

Porkopolis
09-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Go Herd! Lang was simply sensational. We won't see many individual shows like that all season.

GIMMFD
09-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Go Herd! Lang was simply sensational. We won't see many individual shows like that all season.

Do you have a Herd on? ;)

GoMuskies
09-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Didn't see the game. How on earth did Marshall almost lose to Purdue?!?

Porkopolis
09-07-2015, 05:58 AM
Didn't see the game. How on earth did Marshall almost lose to Purdue?!?

Bad luck and some iffy play calling.

Edit: I will say Purdue's line was impressive. The Boilermakers don't have a lot of talent but what there is sits on the o line. Those are some strong, disciplined kids.

American X
09-07-2015, 07:22 AM
When did Louisville change their mascot to the Angry Chickens?

https://nbccollegefootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/screen-shot-2015-06-26-at-2-48-39-pm.png

paulxu
09-07-2015, 08:18 AM
This is an angry chicken.

http://content.fathead.com/products/89/89-00852.jpg

Strange Brew
09-07-2015, 11:13 AM
This is an angry chicken.

http://content.fathead.com/products/89/89-00852.jpg

This is a kickin' chickin'

Nigel Tufnel
09-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Elliott has 4 rushes for 105 yards and a TD. Why does he only have 4 rushes in the first half? I don't get it...

paulxu
09-07-2015, 08:49 PM

I need to try that.

xu82
09-07-2015, 08:56 PM

When I turned "21 wink, wink" at the ripe old age of 19, a nice young man bought me a shot of Wild Turkey for every year of my existence. This happened at McCarthy's one night, and from that moment forward I was forever 21 at every bar in Cincinnati. I think that's because all of southern Ohio felt sorry for how that turned out. Details are fuzzy....

Strange Brew
09-07-2015, 10:18 PM
When I turned "21 wink, wink" at the ripe old age of 19, a nice young man bought me a shot of Wild Turkey for every year of my existence. This happened at McCarthy's one night, and from that moment forward I was forever 21 at every bar in Cincinnati. I think that's because all of southern Ohio felt sorry for how that turned out. Details are fuzzy....

The kickin' chickin' lends itself to many forgettable stories.....I hope :)

Strange Brew
09-07-2015, 10:21 PM
I need to try that.

If you happen to venture to Denver I'd be proud to buy a pour.

xu82
09-07-2015, 10:36 PM
The kickin' chickin' lends itself to many forgettable stories.....I hope :)

For the record, the math got fuzzy. EVERYTHING got fuzzy....

I woke up and my tongue was fuzzy. I avoid brown liquids to this day.

xudash
09-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Elliott has 4 rushes for 105 yards and a TD. Why does he only have 4 rushes in the first half? I don't get it...

As Herbie noted, it's Beamer's defensive scheme. They pack it in against the center and guards and make it very difficult to open up holes where Zeke typically roams. But a much better offensive line and simply too much talent in the skill positions on offense, as that defensive scheme started giving up the big plays.

On that note: Braxton Miller's twist move was sick.

And I hope Va Tech's QB makes it back okay. Seems to be a good kid with some talent.

Masterofreality
09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Oh-ho-ho State's schedule is an absolute joke...in all respects.

That is all.

GoMuskies
09-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the worst weekend of matchups in college football. There are a few decent games (Michigan State/Oregon, Boise State/BYU), but for the most part this weekend is stink-o-rama. From here on out things get much better.

paulxu
09-12-2015, 01:45 PM
My eyes hurt from looking at the Syracuse uniforms.

GoMuskies
09-12-2015, 02:35 PM
I hate Houston, too. I'm afraid I might end up hating a lot of teams this year.

X-band '01
09-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Auburn dodged a missile at home against Jacksonville State.

D-West & PO-Z
09-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Auburn dodged a missile at home against Jacksonville State.

Sucks. Jacksonville State had it on 3rd and 5ish and up with just over a minute or so to play and ran the ball, should have thrown for the first down and win. Then the punter shanks it and only punts it 17 yards. Then the QB takes a 15 yard sack on 3rd and goal from the 5. Ugh.

Juice
09-12-2015, 03:29 PM
I hate Houston, too. I'm afraid I might end up hating a lot of teams this year.

https://twitter.com/aqmayes/status/642792713562230784

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 03:38 PM
I should've known better than to expect consistency from ACC refs.....

xu82
09-12-2015, 04:31 PM
Notre Dame not exactly putting on a convincing performance.

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 04:41 PM

Not at all.

Great pick play by UVA though.

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 04:46 PM
Will Fuller. Ludicrous speed!!

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Snake bitten.

XUFan09
09-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Are you referring to right now or to the last decade or two?

Strange Brew
09-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Another obvious pick by UVA and no call. ND needs to reconsider its affiliation with the ACC.

GoMuskies
09-12-2015, 05:51 PM
How bad must Texas be?

DC Muskie
09-12-2015, 05:52 PM
ND will march down and win by 7. Called it like an hour ago, just not here.

xu82
09-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Are you referring to right now or to the last decade or two?

I was thinking of today.... but, what? You didn't like the Alabama game?

TD Notre Dame! Yeah, they may beat a mediocre team!

GoMuskies
09-12-2015, 06:02 PM
ND will march down and win by 6. Called it like an hour ago, just not here.

Way off!

xudash
09-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Bielema should keep quiet and worry about his own schedule. Way to go Rockets!

xu82
09-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Apparently, Baylor still refuses to play defense. Tied with powerhouse Lamar (who?) at 21 in the second quarter.

paulxu
09-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Going to be a long season for my football team.

GoMuskies
09-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Going to be a long season for my football team.
Welcome to the club!

xudash
09-12-2015, 10:40 PM
Note to Oregon: if you're going to put cartoon characters on the side of your helmets in major college football, you deserve to lose.

Way too much effort In branding. Sparty gets revenge.

xubrew
09-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Revisiting, Jax State v Auburn.

Jax State is taking a bath of criticism for how they managed the end of the game, particularly taking a knee to force overtime. They deserve it. Never extend a game that you have a chance of winning against a team that's better than you. Overtime favors the better team. In any sport. Except soccer. But, this wasn't soccer.

Jax State played great. They deserve praise for playing great. Having said that, they deserve scorn for poorly managing the game in the final minutes. They took a knee to end regulation. They PRACTICALLY took a knee on the series prior to that. They had the ball with less than three minutes to play. If they had moved the ball, they would have won. They didn't need to score to win. They just needed to move the ball. Three minutes is 180 seconds (and there was actually less time than that). That's five plays with a 40 sec play clock. Auburn had three timeouts, so that's eight plays.

ALL THEY NEEDED TO DO WAS MOVE THE BALL FOR EIGHT PLAYS!!! THEY WIN!!!

They chose to practically take a knee instead of making any real attempt to move the ball. In my mind, that cost them the game just as much as giving up the touchdown and taking a knee to end regulation. When all you need to do is run eight consecutive plays to win a game, and three of those can be kneel downs, DON'T FREEZE UP!!! They willingly gave the ball back to Auburn rather than trying to get a first down. A first down virtually wins the game. A series of downs is four downs. You need eight plays. A first down wins the game. They didn't even go for one.

And, I'm not picking specifically on Jax State. I'm picking on just about every team that blows a game they're not supposed to win after playing fantastically for 55+ minutes, and then completely shitting all over the end of the game.

Am I wrong??

BTW, this would have been a MUCH bigger upset than Appy State over Michigan. That Appy State team wasn't BCS Bowl good, but they were Liberty Bowl good. Probably better. They were ranked #1 and were in the midst of a three year span where they won three straight FCS championships and I think lost a total of two FCS games (one was to Wofford, and I don't remember the other one, but I do think someone else beat then). They were good. This Jax State team is expected to make the playoffs, but they're not dominant at the FCS level like Appy State was. Not even close. This would have been perhaps the biggest college football upset in our lifetim

LA Muskie
09-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Couldn't agree more, Brew. It drives me nuts when coaches do that. After putting them in position to win, the coaching staff stole what likely would have been the most memorable moment (almost certainly the most meaningful sports moment) of those kids' lives. They proved for 55+ minutes they belonged on that field. Show them the trust and faith to keep them out there. If they go down, at least they go down swinging.

Juice
09-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Note to Oregon: if you're going to put cartoon characters on the side of your helmets in major college football, you deserve to lose.

Way too much effort In branding. Sparty gets revenge.

It was an old logo. It's not that big of a deal.

muskienick
09-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Sucks. Jacksonville State had it on 3rd and 5ish and up with just over a minute or so to play and ran the ball, should have thrown for the first down and win. Then the punter shanks it and only punts it 17 yards. Then the QB takes a 15 yard sack on 3rd and goal from the 5. Ugh.
Just like I should have waited for Scarlett Johanssen to be born and grow up so that she could have married me.

muskienick
09-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Bielema should keep quiet and worry about his own schedule. Way to go Rockets!

Toledo beating the Razorbacks was as sweet as Bowling Green crushing Maryland.

And then there's the Miami Redhawks. (Has Miami fielded a decent FB team since their "Redskins" days?

THRILLHOUSE
09-14-2015, 10:31 AM
And then there's the Miami Redhawks. (Has Miami fielded a decent FB team since their "Redskins" days?

They changed the name in 97/98, so yes.

Milhouse
09-14-2015, 10:42 AM
In my years as an ND fan I've seen game winning drives (Stanford last year comes to mind), but that UVA win and how it was won felt different. I'm very excited to see how they play GA Tech. One thing is for sure...going to need much better defense.

kyxu
09-14-2015, 02:49 PM
In my years as an ND fan I've seen game winning drives (Stanford last year comes to mind), but that UVA win and how it was won felt different. I'm very excited to see how they play GA Tech. One thing is for sure...going to need much better defense.

Not very concerned with DeShone Kizer as the QB. Very concerned with ND's defense against GaTech. Drinking will be a necessity during this game.

ammtd34
09-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Not very concerned with DeShone Kizer as the QB. Very concerned with ND's defense against GaTech. Drinking will be a necessity during this game.

Same.

muskienick
09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
They changed the name in 97/98, so yes.

My mistake. But I noticed that over the last 10 years they have gone 38 - 84 (2005 - 2014). That type of record over that span of time is not very "Miami-like."

THRILLHOUSE
09-14-2015, 03:32 PM
My mistake. But I noticed that over the last 10 years they have gone 38 - 84 (2005 - 2014). That type of record over that span of time is not very "Miami-like."

oh for sure, they have been mostly awful as of late. They did win a bowl game in 2011, but other than that it's been all losing in Oxford.

xudash
09-14-2015, 03:54 PM

Is it home or away?

xubrew
09-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Miami OH had some good teams when Terry Hoeppner was the coach. When Roethlisberger was there in 2003 they were solid. They actually finished ranked in the top ten, and may not have been overrated. That team was pretty good. Other than that they've ranged from mediocre to awful in the last couple of decades.

xubrew
09-14-2015, 04:06 PM

That's what they've done for ten years. Maybe 38-84 is now what Miami-Like is like.

kyxu
09-14-2015, 04:07 PM
Is it home or away?

At Notre Dame

X-band '01
09-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Miami OH had some good teams when Terry Hoeppner was the coach. When Roethlisberger was there in 2003 they were solid. They actually finished ranked in the top ten, and may not have been overrated. That team was pretty good. Other than that they've ranged from mediocre to awful in the last couple of decades.

It seems like Miami always puts their eggs in one sport - either they're doing good in basketball (Joby Wright/Herb Sendek/early Charlie Coles), football or recently ice hockey. They never seem to be good in multiple sports in any given year.

waggy
09-14-2015, 04:19 PM
The original cradle of coaches.

Strange Brew
09-15-2015, 11:05 PM

That was one the best game winning drives I've seen in my 30+ years of watching ND football and one of the best heaves for a game winner I may have ever seen.

Side note. It was so good it may have actually killed this UVA fan.

paulxu
09-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Go, it's not going to bother me at all if you can pull this baby out.

GoMuskies
09-18-2015, 12:07 AM
I hate Clempson.

Milhouse
09-18-2015, 07:42 AM
Petrino 2.0 ain't lookin too hot here.

GoMuskies
09-18-2015, 08:23 AM
They've lost three games to three good teams by a total of 13 points. They'll win 7 games, and everyone good on offense is a freshman. Petrino 2.0 will be just fine.

chico
09-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Just get rid of those uniforms. Please.

paulxu
09-19-2015, 09:55 PM
My football team sucks.

THRILLHOUSE
09-19-2015, 10:59 PM
New Texas QB, Jerrod Heard, is looking good. The place kicker, not so much.

xu82
09-19-2015, 11:07 PM
I hate Clempson.

It's a pretty part of the country, and they have two or three restaurants within a billion miles.

Strange Brew
09-19-2015, 11:40 PM
go irish!!!

GoMuskies
09-19-2015, 11:41 PM
This UCLA /BYU game is shaping up to be pretty damned good for us night owls.

GoMuskies
09-24-2015, 11:40 AM
It's my entire legal department vs. gladdenguy this week. That's right, it's BYU vs. Michigan.

After the first two weeks, I was beginning to think that God was Mormon, but last week proved that God was just teasing the Mormons. BYU's the better team, but I think Michigan wins at home. BYU has to be getting a bit worn down after facing Nebraska, Boise and UCLA in the first three weeks.

Masterofreality
09-25-2015, 10:33 AM
And SucKS goes down again...to Memphis. Why even keep a football program Borecats?

And Tubber-vile is looking like an ass for playing Gunner Kiel last night- 5 days after getting "His bell rung". So, Kiel gets injured to the head again. Now the kid may be out for the year?

Just give it up, Clifton.

outsideobserver11
09-25-2015, 10:45 AM
UC got screwed on that overturned fumble call. No idea how that happened.

Kiel going down may not be that bad for UC because he hasn't looked right this whole year so far. His backup came on last night and set a school record for passing yards with 570 or something like that.

Cheesehead
09-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Defensive Coordinator for UC should be fired.

X-band '01
09-25-2015, 11:25 AM
And SucKS goes down again...to Memphis. Why even keep a football program Borecats?

And Tubber-vile is looking like an ass for playing Gunner Kiel last night- 5 days after getting "His bell rung". So, Kiel gets injured to the head again. Now the kid may be out for the year?

Just give it up, Clifton.

Kiel would have just as easily been injured on that play had he not been injured in the previous Miami game. I was surprised that they had overturned a targeting penalty against Memphis on the play.

BTW, it was amusing to see Memphis looking like the Bengals in blue and silver drag.

Masterofreality
09-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Kiel would have just as easily been injured on that play had he not been injured in the previous Miami game. I was surprised that they had overturned a targeting penalty against Memphis on the play.

BTW, it was amusing to see Memphis looking like the Bengals in blue and silver drag.

Maybe, but the fact that Tubby put him in 5 days after another head injury is just wrong. Hell, no way in the NFL concussion protocol would Keil have been allowed to play last night. Maybe Tubster just thinks he's a doctor now.

Milhouse
09-25-2015, 01:51 PM
It's unfortunate I think Kiel is a huge talent but it seems like he's only finished a handful of games in his college career so far. Wouldn't be shocked if transfers again after this year with how well that backup played last night.

Masterofreality
09-25-2015, 02:28 PM
It's unfortunate I think Kiel is a huge talent but it seems like he's only finished a handful of games in his college career so far. Wouldn't be shocked if transfers again after this year with how well that backup played last night.

Well considering if he transfers again, and hasn't graduated, he can't play next year..and his 5 year window of eligibility would have run out after 2016, I would say your shock level will remain unchanged.

GoMuskies
09-25-2015, 02:30 PM
A lot of guys in that situation transfer to I-AA schools. He could transfer to Delaware and start next year. That's the Joe Flacco route, for example.

GoMuskies
09-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Boise is absolutely beating UVA like a rented mule in Charlottesville. I assumed Boise was the better team, but I certainly didn't expect this.

Strange Brew
09-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Ga Tech looks like a lost puppy against Puke.

GoMuskies
09-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Has anyone noticed that the ACC is kind of atrocious this year? Because I have.

Strange Brew
09-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Has anyone noticed that the ACC is kind of atrocious this year? Because I have.

I wan't going to say anything b/c I know you're a UL fan and ND plays an ACC heavy schedule. They really should dump the ACC and join the Big East for all sports sans football. Which would free them up to play a their traditional rivals again........I miss the U of M and MSU games....

GoMuskies
09-26-2015, 01:53 PM
Notre Dame hasn't really done anything to distinguish themselves from the ACC yet. They obviously lost to Louisville last year and really should have lost to a pretty lousy UVA team this year. If they can go to Clemson and win next week maybe it will make more sense to start thinking the ACC is below Notre Dame. But not at this point.

Strange Brew
09-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Notre Dame hasn't really done anything to distinguish themselves from the ACC yet. They obviously lost to Louisville last year and really should have lost to a pretty lousy UVA team this year. If they can go to Clemson and win next week maybe it will make more sense to start thinking the ACC is below Notre Dame. But not at this point.

Except dismantling Ga Tech this year and beating FSU last year....

Masterofreality
09-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Dook dismantled Ga Tech this year. This day even... ND beating Ga Tech gets no props.

Strange Brew
09-26-2015, 08:13 PM
Dook dismantled Ga Tech this year. This day even... ND beating Ga Tech gets no props.

The hate is strong with this one.

Xavgrad08
09-26-2015, 09:19 PM
The Texas Tech vs TCU was an exciting offensive game to watch. The Big 12 has some teams that put up points, but the defenses seems to be lacking. Based on the tweets that I read it seems Butch Jones struggles with some in game decisions.

PM Thor
09-26-2015, 09:23 PM
No top 5 team should ever give up 50 points and win a game on a fluke TD with 23 seconds left. That is all.

xudash
09-26-2015, 09:23 PM
How about A&M and the Hogs.

Aggies strike first in OT.

HOGS back themselves up on first down with their try.

Masterofreality
09-26-2015, 09:35 PM

Just the facts, man. Just the facts.

xudash
09-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Duck a l'Orange.

Damn.

GoMuskies
09-27-2015, 01:04 AM

If only ND had actually beaten FSU last year you might have a point.

Strange Brew
09-27-2015, 01:08 AM
If only ND had actually beaten FSU last year you might have a point.

ND did beat FSU. The toothless, mouth-breathing ACC officials enjoyed a good old boy win.

GoMuskies
09-27-2015, 08:57 AM
ND did beat FSU. The toothless, mouth-breathing ACC officials enjoyed a good old boy win.

Uh, yeah. Ok.

Juice
09-27-2015, 09:24 AM
I wan't going to say anything b/c I know you're a UL fan and ND plays an ACC heavy schedule. They really should dump the ACC and join the Big East for all sports sans football. Which would free them up to play a their traditional rivals again........I miss the U of M and MSU games....

Even taking football out of it, why would they do that? The ACC is the best basketball conference currently and there are a bunch of former Big East teams in it too. They've got a pretty good setup.

THRILLHOUSE
09-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Even taking football out of it, why would they do that? The ACC is the best basketball conference currently and there are a bunch of former Big East teams in it too. They've got a pretty good setup.

yep. And overall the ACC schools have better Olympic sports programs. Would make zero sense for ND to leave.

Strange Brew
09-27-2015, 10:31 AM

No, I get it's a decent deal for ND but I do not like that the Irish have to play 5 ACC teams every year. I miss the games against ND's traditional, regional rivals. I feel the deal limits ND when it comes to football scheduling and apparently I'm not the only one.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/is-notre-dame-football-getting-a-raw-deal-with-acc-partnership/

Strange Brew
09-27-2015, 10:42 AM

I know, I wish ND had a difficult schedule like the current top ranked team. How would they ever be able to beat those juggernauts???

Juice
09-27-2015, 10:44 AM
No, I get it's a decent deal for ND but I do not like that the Irish have to play 5 ACC teams every year. I miss the games against ND's traditional, regional rivals. I feel the deal limits ND when it comes to football scheduling and apparently I'm not the only one.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/is-notre-dame-football-getting-a-raw-deal-with-acc-partnership/

The final paragraph describes how ND is "hardly" getting a raw deal. They're better off playing teams in the south for recruiting purposesanyways. They're ways around this by playing the Michigan teams every other year, or don't play Umass, Navy, and Texas.

xudash
09-27-2015, 11:08 AM
The final paragraph describes how ND is "hardly" getting a raw deal. They're better off playing teams in the south for recruiting purposesanyways. They're ways around this by playing the Michigan teams every other year, or don't play Umass, Navy, and Texas.

ND and Navy will never not play.

Strange Brew
09-27-2015, 04:45 PM

I know, if you reread my post you'll realize I said it's a decent deal for ND but I don't think it's a great deal considering they have to play 5 ACC teams every year. They'd be better off in the BE for all sports not called football or hockey which would allow them to schedule their traditional football rivals.

As has been stated ND will always play Navy.

Maybe you're right, they should get rid of Texas and Umass and schedule a couple of directional U teams like most of the B1G and the SEC.

Milhouse
09-28-2015, 07:10 AM
This is a big IF so take it with a grain of salt. If ND beats Clemson and makes it to CFB Playoffs, and Clemson wins the ACC then the ACC is shut out of the playoffs largely due to ND. This is where the relationship becomes not so mutually beneficial. I still think ND is getting a very good deal in terms of keeping all television and bowl revenue.

Recruiting wise ND has shifted much more towards the south, so the ACC doesn't hurt that either. But they still make a point of playing in California once a year (USC, Stanford) for recruiting and brand purposes.

I do wish ND had been able to do this 5 game deal with the B10, but understandably they said all or nothing, where as the ACC worked with them.

Juice
09-28-2015, 07:49 AM
This is a big IF so take it with a grain of salt. If ND beats Clemson and makes it to CFB Playoffs, and Clemson wins the ACC then the ACC is shut out of the playoffs largely due to ND. This is where the relationship becomes not so mutually beneficial. I still think ND is getting a very good deal in terms of keeping all television and bowl revenue.

Recruiting wise ND has shifted much more towards the south, so the ACC doesn't hurt that either. But they still make a point of playing in California once a year (USC, Stanford) for recruiting and brand purposes.

I do wish ND had been able to do this 5 game deal with the B10, but understandably they said all or nothing, where as the ACC worked with them.

And this is the part I agree with you. Recruiting in the midwest is both hard and stupid because there aren't enough athletes for them, OSU, Michigan, Michigan, etc. They've always recruiting in California and played games out there. But the south is newer territory for them and the ACC helps that. The only thing to gain by playing the traditional rivals from the midwest is keeping midwestern people happy, which as we all know is impossible because midwestern, white people complain about everything.

GoMuskies
10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
Congrats to UC on sealing Al Golden ' s fate.

SemajParlor
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Nick Chubb for Heisman

Masterofreality
10-03-2015, 09:46 AM
I know, I wish ND had a difficult schedule like the current top ranked team. How would they ever be able to beat those juggernauts???

Trust me. I'm no fan of the current top ranked team either.

paulxu
10-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Damn Mizzu homer replay officials cost us a TD.

paulxu
10-03-2015, 01:49 PM
My foo(u)tba(o)ll teams aren't doing so well.
Guess it's up to the Bengals.

Also, Texas (the entire sports program) is turning into a train wreck.
Will be interesting to see what Shaka does down there.

THRILLHOUSE
10-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Also, Texas (the entire sports program) is turning into a train wreck.
Will be interesting to see what Shaka does down there.

Unlike Strong, Shaka has pretty good and experienced talent returning this year. However we shall see if those players do well in that system. Especially since it is a large frontcourt, something that might not translate well with an uptempo system.

GoMuskies
10-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Cards win! Cards win!

Masterofreality
10-03-2015, 05:51 PM

North Carolina 38, Ga Tech 31. Ga Tech is now 2-3. Zero props.

GoMuskies
10-03-2015, 06:32 PM
North Carolina 38, Ga Tech 31. Ga Tech is now 2-3. Zero props.

If ND can win in Death Valley they will have earned their props.

Masterofreality
10-03-2015, 06:36 PM
If ND can win in Death Valley they will have earned their props.

Maybe....but that win over Texas ain't looking so good right about now.

Strange Brew
10-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Who has impressed you thus far MOR? OSU?

GoMuskies
10-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Would have enjoyed seeing EKU hang on in Lexington. Oh well.

Strange Brew
10-03-2015, 10:48 PM

ND and their freshman QB looked pretty tough late in Death Valley. Right MOR?

GoMuskies
10-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Someone should have told them the game started at 8.

Strange Brew
10-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Someone should have told them the game started at 8.

No kidding but happy they didn't role over. The season is long and a close loss in DV will not keep a one loss ND team out of the hunt (sorry MOR)

X-band '01
10-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Who has impressed you thus far MOR? OSU?

Ole Miss? Oh wait, never mind.

Masterofreality
10-04-2015, 11:54 AM
ND and their freshman QB looked pretty tough late in Death Valley. Right MOR?

Last time I checked, ND lost 24-22 to a lower "ranked" team. A team like Alabama rolls into Georgia and boat races them. Zero props.

kyxu
10-04-2015, 01:04 PM
No kidding but happy they didn't role over. The season is long and a close loss in DV will not keep a one loss ND team out of the hunt (sorry MOR)

I don't know about that. This would mean a 1-loss ND team would have to usurp two power 5 conference champions, at least. Not sure if ND has the SOS to do that.

Even so, we saw this same debate last year after ND took a close loss at undefeated #2 Florida State, and they ended up going in the tank for the rest of the season. Let's wait until ND takes care of USC and Stanford, among others, before we decide whether they deserve to be in the CFP discussion.

Right now, they're just one of many 1-loss wannabes...and I say this as a big ND fan.

Milhouse
10-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Last time I checked, ND lost 24-22 to a lower "ranked" team. A team like Alabama rolls into Georgia and boat races them. Zero props.

You'd think a Xavier fan of all people would know not to buy into "rankings".

I'm clearly an ND fan, but I'm realistic my expectations went straight down to 10 win season being a good season the second Zaire went down. Starting a freshman quarterback in torrential weather conditions, in one the hardest places to play in the country. Yeah I'd say they did pretty damn well.

To turn the ball over FOUR times in the second half and still be in a position to tie the game with :07 seconds left. Heck had you told me ND would go down 14-0 and THEN turn the ball over 4 times I would've thought we would lose by 30+.

I get it some people just love to Hate on ND for various reasons. In the same vein that some people just like the hate on Cleveland. .I just see you constantly hating on ND and OSU...not sure if you even have a team you like, or rather just a collection that you dislike. To each their own I suppose.

GoMuskies
10-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Sorry for piling on you paul, but I saw a funny stat today. In their last 20 true road games, Kentucky is 1-19.

paulxu
10-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Gamecocks....we aim to please. Southern hospitality, and all that.

We've reached the point in the season (which happens all too often) where the only thing that matters/can save the season is beating Clempson.

It's a good thing I'm not a betting man.

Masterofreality
10-06-2015, 07:18 AM
You'd think a Xavier fan of all people would know not to buy into "rankings".

I'm clearly an ND fan, but I'm realistic my expectations went straight down to 10 win season being a good season the second Zaire went down. Starting a freshman quarterback in torrential weather conditions, in one the hardest places to play in the country. Yeah I'd say they did pretty damn well.

To turn the ball over FOUR times in the second half and still be in a position to tie the game with :07 seconds left. Heck had you told me ND would go down 14-0 and THEN turn the ball over 4 times I would've thought we would lose by 30+.

I get it some people just love to Hate on ND for various reasons. In the same vein that some people just like the hate on Cleveland. .I just see you constantly hating on ND and OSU...not sure if you even have a team you like, or rather just a collection that you dislike. To each their own I suppose.

I have lots of teams I like. Notre Dame just gets way too much pub and props for limited accomplishment and they are way too big for their britches when it comes to hubris. Ohio State won the National Championship last year and they proved their worth. I like Urban Meyer very much. He was great to a cousin of ours who was the Head Coach at Ashtabula St. John's when he was suffering from cancer and later died. I'll take potshots at Ohio State just because, and I'm not a fan, but I don't hate them. I do hate Beaknose though for dissing my Alma Mater. Got goooooood reason for that.

X-band '01
10-06-2015, 01:04 PM
25th anniversary of this classic game today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJT8q0MMwQ

STL_XUfan
10-06-2015, 01:49 PM
25th anniversary of this classic game today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJT8q0MMwQ

[mumbles angrily under breath]

GoMuskies
10-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Down goes USC. At home. To a pretty pedestrian UW squad. I guess this is Chris Petersen's first big win at his new home.

waggy
10-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Kansas is getting 45 points at home against Baylor. 45 friggin points!

GoMuskies
10-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Is that the first quarter line or the first half line?

THRILLHOUSE
10-10-2015, 02:22 PM
TEXAS! Can always count on a Bob Stoops team to crap itself to a lesser opponent at some point during a season.

xu82
10-10-2015, 03:15 PM

So, they'll have to score 90+ to cover?

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 03:31 PM

Hmmmm.....

Masterofreality
10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Hmmmm.....

What Hmmmmmm? Texas won a rivalry game at home vs an Oklahoma Team that is coached by that guy that never screws up against lesser teams :spaz: Bob Stoops. Wow Zow!! That puts Texas at 2-4. Damn am I impressed!!!!

When you have to go searching that hard to find something to justify your team's mediocre performance, you might need to go look for another team to support.

waggy
10-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Is that the first quarter line or the first half line?

So, they'll have to score 90+ to cover?

The first half was a push Go! I hope you put some money on it.

Turns out they only needed score 22 to cover '82, but they could only muster 7.

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 04:24 PM
What Hmmmmmm? Texas won a rivalry game at home vs an Oklahoma Team that is coached by that guy that never screws up against lesser teams :spaz: Bob Stoops. Wow Zow!! That puts Texas at 2-4. Damn am I impressed!!!!

When you have to go searching that hard to find something to justify your team's mediocre performance, you might need to go look for another team to support.

Didn't have to search very hard. The hate is dripping off of you. It's wonderful...

Masterofreality
10-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Didn't have to search very hard. Hate on MOR.

When Not-re Dame shows that they can compete against the top echelon of college football, I'll be impressed. They lost to Clemson, which in itself isn't bad, but show me how they could conceivably compete against Alabama, Ohio State or most of the SEC. Oh, that's right we'll never know because they're too busy scheduling Navy, UMass, Wake Forest and Pitt, despite having a national TV broadcast network doing their games.

What a bunch of charlatans.

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 04:32 PM
When Not-re Dame shows that they can compete against the top echelon of college football, I'll be impressed. They lost to Clemson, which in itself isn't bad, but show me how they could conceivably compete against Alabama, Ohio State or most of the SEC. Oh, that's right we'll never know because they're too busy scheduling Navy, UMass, Wake Forest and Pitt, despite having a national TV broadcast network doing their games.

What a bunch of charlatans.

Is LSU in the top echelon of football? B/c they beat those paper tigers in a bowl game last year. But, I'm sure you knew that....

Oh, and Navy and PITT will be bowl eligible this year. So, there's that.

Masterofreality
10-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Didn't have to search very hard. The hate is dripping off of you. It's wonderful...

Almost as wonderful as that huge 3 point lead the FIrish have on Navy at the half. DAMN!!!!!

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Almost as wonderful as that huge 3 point lead the FIrish have on Navy at the half. DAMN!!!!!

sniff, sniff. Hate. Haha.

Masterofreality
10-10-2015, 04:42 PM
Oh, that LSU team that was 4-4 in the SEC last year and wound up 8-5 in the Top Shelf Music City Bowl that always determines National rankings? When is ND going to accept a bid to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl?
Yeah, I guess that would be a more competitive game than playing Temple, barely.

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Oh, that LSU team that was 4-4 in the SEC last year and wound up 8-5 in the Top Shelf Music City Bowl that always determines National rankings? When is ND going to accept a bid to the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl?
Yeah, I guess that would be a more competitive game than playing Temple, barely.

Don't know, they played for the National Championship 3 years ago. So again, there's that.

Your hate is great.

I'm very impressed with MICH (that hurt) this year. I would love to see ND play them.

GoMuskies
10-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Am I missing something? Did Texas unlose 50-7 since last week?

Strange Brew
10-10-2015, 05:35 PM

What? Are you saying something? Haha!

Juice
10-11-2015, 08:35 AM
ND currently has the 23rd ranked SOS http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

X-band '01
10-11-2015, 10:07 AM
And then there's Michigan. First time a team has had back-to-back-to-back shutouts in the Big 10 since 1980.

Strange Brew
10-11-2015, 10:27 AM
And then there's Michigan. First time a team has had back-to-back-to-back shutouts in the Big 10 since 1980.

As much as I hate to admit it, MU looks tough. The OSU game should be fun to watch.

Strange Brew
10-11-2015, 10:38 AM
ND currently has the 23rd ranked SOS http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Huh, and Navy has a tougher schedule thus far than OSU....

Smails
10-11-2015, 10:44 AM
sniff, sniff. Hate. Haha.
lol!

Masterofreality
10-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Am I missing something? Did Texas unlose 50-7 since last week?

Not missing a thing.

By the way, I really don't care overly, about College Football, and especially about Domers. It's not hate, just bemusement. I just love jabbing their overly stuffed and hubris filled fan base. Despite having more recruiting advantages than any other university in the United States, despite having a national network TV contract, and despite having all the $$$ in the universe, they continue to be mediocre in basketball and football performance. Not-re Dame would kill to have Xavier's basketball success over the past 15 years and when they stop playing a schedule filled with the UMasses, Boston Colleges, Wake Forests and secondary level squads of college football, when they stop making excuses for firing a good black coach & hiring a blowhard like Charlie Weis-then giving him an easy $10 million contract extension , when they stop avoiding saying the same nasty things about Weis (losing reord) that they said about Ty Willingham (winning record), and when they actually hold their coach accountable for abject stupidity for ordering an innocent college kid to his death, I'll be more impressed. This from a school and fan base that loves to act holier than thou at every occasion.
The FIrish are still living off of Lou Holtz past glories, and the braggadocio is very old.
Not hate, just reality.

X-band '01
10-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Notre Dame didn't have to sell their souls last year - an ACC title and an Elite 8. That's better than what Xavier did last season.

Smails
10-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Not missing a thing.

Did you refer to Tyrone Willingham as a good football coach?....yeah you're not missing a thing. Coaching stops at Stanford, ND and Washington. 74-88 record, 1-4 in bowl games and an 0-12 campaign. Do you have different standards for black head coaches? Because by every recorded metric, Willingham was below average at best and a complete failure by today's standards. Just own your hate! Own it!

Masterofreality
10-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Did you refer to Tyrone Willingham as a good football coach?....yeah you're not missing a thing. Coaching stops at Stanford, ND and Washington. 74-88 record, 1-4 in bowl games and an 0-12 campaign. Do you have different standards for black head coaches? Because by every recorded metric, Willingham was below average at best and a complete failure by today's standards. Just own your hate! Own it!

Well, somebody at Notre Dame sure thought he was good. He WAS 21-15 at Notre Dame and recruited all the players that Weis won with. Even had a winning record his last year with his recruited young players who eventually made Weis look good. RIIIIIGHT? Was 21-15 Fireable? I guess so in their hubris. Then when Willingham's recruits left, Weis goes 3-9 then 7-6 then 6-6.

Keep excusing all the garbage that ND puts out there in your blind green, or blue and gold haze. Facts.

GoMuskies
10-11-2015, 01:18 PM
I think Willingham and Weis each richly deserved their respective firings, and they each proved ND right by going elsewhere and sucking, too.

Masterofreality
10-11-2015, 01:41 PM
By the way, this from WNDU-

"And they are 1-17 overall against top five teams dating back to 1998 — losing those games by an average of nearly 23 points. Only two losses were by fewer than 13 points"

At least Brian Kelly is 9-9 vs Top 25 ranked teams. That moves the record up to somewhat mediocre vs the better teams. But just keep playing those powers like Boston College and UMass, though FIrish!

HudsonFest
10-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Not missing a thing.

By the way, I really don't care overly, about College Football, and especially about Domers. It's not hate, just bemusement. I just love jabbing their overly stuffed and hubris filled fan base. Despite having more recruiting advantages than any other university in the United States, despite having a national network TV contract, and despite having all the $$$ in the universe, they continue to be mediocre in basketball and football performance. Not-re Dame would kill to have Xavier's basketball success over the past 15 years and when they stop playing a schedule filled with the UMasses, Boston Colleges, Wake Forests and secondary level squads of college football, when they stop making excuses for firing a good black coach & hiring a blowhard like Charlie Weis-then giving him an easy $10 million contract extension , when they stop avoiding saying the same nasty things about Weis (losing reord) that they said about Ty Willingham (winning record), and when they actually hold their coach accountable for abject stupidity for ordering an innocent college kid to his death, I'll be more impressed. This from a school and fan base that loves to act holier than thou at every occasion.
The FIrish are still living off of Lou Holtz past glories, and the braggadocio is very old.
Not hate, just reality.

This is such a ludicrous post. I can understand why people hate ND but I've never actually heard someone claim that Ty was a good coach. That guy was a complete disaster and his 0-12 performance at Washington proved that.

Also, ND's schedule is more than respectable as others have noted. Why would you call out BC, Wake, and Umass? I could just as easily call out USC, Clemson, and Stanford. Is ND supposed to only play top 25 teams? ND challenges themselves every year with their schedule. It's not their fault that Texas sucks. By the way, future schedules already have Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas A&M.

Please stop posting about college football. You know absolutely nothing about it so you just spew nonsense and hate.

Masterofreality
10-11-2015, 02:10 PM
This is such a ludicrous post. I can understand why people hate ND but I've never actually heard someone claim that Ty was a good coach. That guy was a complete disaster and his 0-12 performance at Washington proved that.

Also, ND's schedule is more than respectable as others have noted. Why would you call out BC, Wake, and Umass? I could just as easily call out USC, Clemson, (LOSS) and Stanford. Is ND supposed to only play top 25 teams? ND challenges themselves every year with their schedule. It's not their fault that Texas sucks. By the way, future schedules already have Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas A&M.

Please stop posting about college football. You know absolutely nothing about it so you just spew nonsense and hate.

See the bold word above. So you focus on Ty and barely address everything else in the post? 1-17 vs Top 5 teams since 1988. And some people at Notre Dame were smart enough to hire Ty Willingham, so your post is more of an indictment against the Domers. I know that.

As for Georgia, Ohio State and Texas A&M, we will see, won't we?
Quit trying to deflect and defend. Then please mourn Declan Sullivan.

GoMuskies
10-11-2015, 10:11 PM
I like to have a drink or five as much as the next guy, but c'mon Sark. That's inexcusable. And gives us drinkers a bad name!

Strange Brew
10-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Well, if nothing else this thread has proven Dan Devine correct.

"There are two kinds of people in the world, Notre Dame lovers and Notre Dame haters. And, quite frankly, they're both a pain in the ass"

Milhouse
10-12-2015, 07:59 AM
MOR while you love to hate on ND and the fans. You're just on the opposite end of the spectrum there, yeah ND has some bad fans, but ND also has the haters that hate just because.

I love how you say when they're on the level of OSU....don't you hate on OSU every other week? I'm sure if I wanted to I could go through this thread and last years and find multiple quotes. But whatever hits your narrative for the week or the hour I suppose. Not unlike global warming I suppose.

You talking about ND playing UMass and Temple while ignoring Clemson, USC, Stanford. Yep just fitting your narrative. That's literally like ragging on Alabama for playing Middle Tennesse and Charleston Southern. Last I checked teams play 12 games not 2. You can make EVERY team in the country look bad if you focus on their lesser schedule. Also Temple will be top 25 when ND plays them, but I guess you wouldn't know that if you're just looking at the name alone. ND also manned up to play a home and home with an AAC opponent. Not many other P5 teams doing that if you're keeping track (I'm sure you're not). Also ND plays zero FCS games. What was the last P5 to do that?

Narrative gets tired. I don't have green glasses on. I'm 25 ND has been HORRIBLE most of my life, this is the best they've been since I was out of diapers, and by far the best is ahead of me.

I'm sure we could talk about ND basketball and X Basketball (hint: I side with X) but this is the College Football 2015 thread.

Also I can't stand when people bring up Declan Sullivan. His parents don't blame, kelly the school or the program, but please continue to do that. Once again to fit your narrative.

ND isn't a top 10 program now, just cuz I'm a realist doesn't mean I won't defend them. You don't even have a CFB program but just watch to hate on a select few teams (ND, UC, OSU, flavor of the week etc..)

Masterofreality
10-12-2015, 08:19 AM
MOR while you love to hate on ND and the fans. You're just on the opposite end of the spectrum there, yeah ND has some bad fans, but ND also has the haters that hate just because.

I love how you say when they're on the level of OSU....don't you hate on OSU every other week? I'm sure if I wanted to I could go through this thread and last years and find multiple quotes. But whatever hits your narrative for the week or the hour I suppose. Not unlike global warming I suppose.

You talking about ND playing UMass and Temple while ignoring Clemson, USC, Stanford. Yep just fitting your narrative. That's literally like ragging on Alabama for playing Middle Tennesse and Charleston Southern. Last I checked teams play 12 games not 2. You can make EVERY team in the country look bad if you focus on their lesser schedule. Also Temple will be top 25 when ND plays them, but I guess you wouldn't know that if you're just looking at the name alone. ND also manned up to play a home and home with an AAC opponent. Not many other P5 teams doing that if you're keeping track (I'm sure you're not). Also ND plays zero FCS games. What was the last P5 to do that?

Narrative gets tired. I don't have green glasses on. I'm 25 ND has been HORRIBLE most of my life, this is the best they've been since I was out of diapers, and by far the best is ahead of me.

I'm sure we could talk about ND basketball and X Basketball (hint: I side with X) but this is the College Football 2015 thread.

Also I can't stand when people bring up Declan Sullivan. His parents don't blame, kelly the school or the program, but please continue to do that. Once again to fit your narrative.

ND isn't a top 10 program now, just cuz I'm a realist doesn't mean I won't defend them. You don't even have a CFB program but just watch to hate on a select few teams (ND, UC, OSU, flavor of the week etc..)

Notre Dame lost to Clemson. The numbers don't lie vs ranked teams and I hardly ever comment on Ohio State football. As I said in another post, I like Urban Meyer very much. No props to Beaknose though. And anybody who defends Borecat football should leave this board immediately. Delusion at its finest.

Notre Dame's numbers vs ranked teams over the last 27 years doesn't lie. That's reality. I really don't care this much, so I'm gone. Feel free to keep playing with your Knute Rockne fantasies, though if it gets you off.

Milhouse
10-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Kelly's actually only 2-4 vs. top 10 teams. Obviously a horrible loss to Bama in there, the others are two road losses to Stanford (both Rees lead teams loss by 7 and 14) and then last years 4 pt loss at FSU. Wins would be vs MSU & Oklahoma in 2012. That also doesn't include a win over 2013's MSU team that ended the season ranked #3 (But were ranked like #25 when ND beat them). But if you look at things that way there are probably more than a few early wins/losses that look worse/better in hindsight.

End of the day haters gonna hate. I'm incredibly happy with ND's trajectory in the face of advisory (some self inflicted, some dumb luck) the past several years. Nothing but blue skies ahead when I look at other ailing programs (Tenn, USC, Penn State, etc...)

GoMuskies
10-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Pretty great week to catch USC with Sark in the drunk tank, but it won't allow Notre Dame to improve on its record against ranked opponents as the Trojans are way out of the polls.

However, Temple will likely be ranked when Notre Dame visits. That's an interesting turn of events that no one could have predicted!

Smails
10-12-2015, 09:54 AM

That is really the only thing irks me about the ND hate. I can totally deal with the hubris comments (although it definitely looses steam when someone who calls themselves a Master accuses anyone else of hubris).

The Sullivan narrative is pretty low brow if you ask me. Let's use a tragic accident to cement hate for the football program. I know the Sullivan family, and one of the more troubling aspects of the accident was how bloggers and internet pundits took it upon themselves to speak on behalf of the family. Here's a quote from Barry, Declan's dad from a NYT article on the situation. I would suggest reading it before speaking on things that people have no business speaking on.

“I understand why they’re angry,” Barry Sullivan said. “Fine, be angry, get over it.”

He is not angry. The question Sullivan is asked often is whether he forgave the university and the principals involved. The answer is yes with a caveat.

“I resist that because to forgive means you’ve assigned blame,” he said. “And not to say this could not have been prevented, but I don’t feel anybody knowingly acted recklessly and caused the accident. Or that anybody in the football program said, ‘We are willing to risk lives for the sake of Notre Dame football. I know that. I’m closer to it than anybody. I wish everyone would take my word for it.”.’

Maybe people should respect the wishes of a father who lost his son and get over it. It being the blame game.

Milhouse
10-12-2015, 10:30 AM
That is really the only thing irks me about the ND hate. I can totally deal with the hubris comments (although it definitely looses steam when someone who calls themselves a Master accuses anyone else of hubris).

The Sullivan narrative is pretty low brow if you ask me. Let's use a tragic accident to cement hate for the football program. I know the Sullivan family, and one of the more troubling aspects of the accident was how bloggers and internet pundits took it upon themselves to speak on behalf of the family. Here's a quote from Barry, Declan's dad from a NYT article on the situation. I would suggest reading it before speaking on things that people have no business speaking on.

“I understand why they’re angry,” Barry Sullivan said. “Fine, be angry, get over it.”

He is not angry. The question Sullivan is asked often is whether he forgave the university and the principals involved. The answer is yes with a caveat.

“I resist that because to forgive means you’ve assigned blame,” he said. “And not to say this could not have been prevented, but I don’t feel anybody knowingly acted recklessly and caused the accident. Or that anybody in the football program said, ‘We are willing to risk lives for the sake of Notre Dame football. I know that. I’m closer to it than anybody. I wish everyone would take my word for it.”.’

Maybe people should respect the wishes of a father who lost his son and get over it. It being the blame game.

I know many people close to the situation as well, I cannot stand when an ND hater brings it up, and have no problem calling someone out on it be it online or in person. Wouldn't expect any response from MOR on this one though. "Nothing to see here"

kyxu
10-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Pretty great week to catch USC with Sark in the drunk tank, but it won't allow Notre Dame to improve on its record against ranked opponents as the Trojans are way out of the polls.

However, Temple will likely be ranked when Notre Dame visits. That's an interesting turn of events that no one could have predicted!

USC still has a lot of athleticism and speed, which will give Notre Dame problems, Sark or no.

THRILLHOUSE
10-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Welp, not good news for the resurgent Gators:

Mike Huguenin ‏@MikeHuguenin
Florida will announce this afternoon that QB Will Grier has been suspended for the rest of the season for a violation of NCAA rules.

Xville
10-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Welp, not good news for the resurgent Gators:

Mike Huguenin ‏@MikeHuguenin
Florida will announce this afternoon that QB Will Grier has been suspended for the rest of the season for a violation of NCAA rules.

Yikes....kiss their playoff hopes goodbye. Their defense is downright nasty, but you have to be able to score at least a tiny bit to win games. Without Grier, I just don't see that happening against good teams.

kyxu
10-12-2015, 04:29 PM
And now Sarkisian is officially toast at USC.

What a day for college football...on a Monday.

waggy
10-12-2015, 04:59 PM
Sarkisian is officially toast

Toasted

GoMuskies
10-12-2015, 08:55 PM
Spurrier is out, too. Retired in the middle of what is certain to be a disastrous season.

D-West & PO-Z
10-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Spurrier is out, too. Retired in the middle of what is certain to be a disastrous season.

Interesting. He isnt just bailing because of the poor season is he? Does he have any health issues? I would think a coach would finish out the season no matter how bad.

xu82
10-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Interesting. He isnt just bailing because of the poor season is he? Does he have any health issues? I would think a coach would finish out the season no matter how bad.

He probably has an important tee time interfering with the distraction that is his job and commit...... oh, never mind

bobbiemcgee
10-12-2015, 09:30 PM

I liked the "ol ball coach" . He certainly gave it everything he had, but should have stayed @ FL.

Favorite Quote:

In response to an Auburn football dorm fire that burned 20 books… “but the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn’t been colored yet.”

xu82
10-12-2015, 09:50 PM
He just never seemed all that commited to the job like most other guys. In this case perception may equal reality. Part of me likes him, and a bigger part does not want him coaching my team. Quit mid-season? Really? I hope there something more to it.

Nigel Tufnel
10-12-2015, 11:30 PM
With Spurrier quitting, Jay Mohr Sports will be hilarious tomorrow. Just listen.

Milhouse
10-13-2015, 07:31 AM
He just never seemed all that commited to the job like most other guys. In this case perception may equal reality. Part of me likes him, and a bigger part does not want him coaching my team. Quit mid-season? Really? I hope there something more to it.

This how I feel about OBC. Good for the sport, but glad he wasn't coaching my team. Seems like the fire has been gone for a while for him. Same thing for Tommy Tubs. Just collecting a pay check in between tee times at this point.

paulxu
10-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Got me scratching my head. Would think there is something more to it all.
He made a huge mistake hinting about it earlier. Cost us a bunch of recruits. Now this.

xudash
10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Got me scratching my head. Would think there is something more to it all.
He made a huge mistake hinting about it earlier. Cost us a bunch of recruits. Now this.

I heard last night that he's never had a losing season coaching football in college. Hard to believe, given that he coached at Duke, and Florida was nothing before he got there. At any rate, I guess he's off to Augusta.

X-band '01
10-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Randy Edsall was quietly fired by Maryland yesterday. Not terribly surprising if you remember his presser at Ohio State last weekend.

throwbackmuskie
10-13-2015, 08:54 AM

IMO it was the right move for him and the university. He was ready, gave everything he had and took Carolina to new heights. With Maryland, SoCal and other being open or will be open gives Carolina more time, and a head start on finding a replacement.

STL_XUfan
10-13-2015, 12:41 PM

I'm sure Archie Miller and Chris Mack are on the short list.

GoMuskies
10-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm sure Archie Miller and Chris Mack are on the short list.

Gregg Marshall. Remember South Carolina is his "dream job".

DC Muskie
10-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Randy Edsall was quietly fired by Maryland yesterday.

Quietly? It was the leading headline for CFB on Friday across all sports mediums. What did you want them to do, drop a bomb on his house?

It's Randy Edsall and Maryland.

waggy
10-13-2015, 02:34 PM
I thought it was quiet. Even very quiet.

They should've used an IED or a Scud.

paulxu
10-17-2015, 03:01 PM
If this keeps up, and the B12 decides to really expand to their number, it's gonna be Memphis and Houston with the kittens on the bench.

GIMMFD
10-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Boy Michigan fans... I can't even imagine the heartbreak.

X-band '01
10-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Poor Gladden. This was way more shocking than Appalachian State.

GoMuskies
10-17-2015, 07:48 PM
I hate Florida State.

xu82
10-17-2015, 08:10 PM
I hate Florida State.

Maybe you will come around and see the light.... some day...

:)

paulxu
10-17-2015, 08:48 PM

I hope he wasn't at the game.

Dan Murphy
@DanMurphyESPN
A fan at Michigan Stadium had a heart attack on the final play of the game. Currently in stable condition at University Hospital. 1h

xu82
10-17-2015, 08:57 PM
I hope he wasn't at the game.

Dan Murphy
@DanMurphyESPN
A fan at Michigan Stadium had a heart attack on the final play of the game. Currently in stable condition at University Hospital. 1h

Oh Lord! That is horrible! (But not shocking.)

XMuskieFTW
10-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Boy Michigan fans... I can't even imagine the heartbreak.

At least most of us have the Lions to look forward to tomorrow to somehow top what we just saw. :sadwave:

D-West & PO-Z
10-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Sports has a terrible impact on my health, no doubt.

During game 5 of NLDS the other day I had a headache, heartburn, nausea, and a rash all at the same time. Sometimes I hate being such a diehard sports fan.....

Then I remember the feeling being at the last 2 Giants Super Bowl wins.

GoMuskies
10-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Among Temple, Memphis and Houston, the AAC is having a helluva run this year. Temple knocking off Notre Dame in Philly would do a lot to legitimize the league's good start, but Memphis absolutely whipping Ole Miss was already huge for the league.

X-band '01
10-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Don't forget Navy lying in the weeds, either. Their championship game this year may be worth watching.

xeus
10-18-2015, 04:25 PM

And Elder lost to Winton Woods Friday night. Poor guy.

Masterofreality
10-18-2015, 08:12 PM
And Elder lost to Winton Woods Friday night. Poor guy.

After losing to Moeller, and before that St. Eds.

nuts4xu
10-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Muck Fichigan!

Hahaha!

xeus
10-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Don't forget Navy lying in the weeds, either.

Are they "lying" in the weeds or "laying" in the weeds?

When does the season start?

Emp
10-18-2015, 10:45 PM
At least most of us have the Lions to look forward to tomorrow to somehow top what we just saw. :sadwave:

Lions win! Lions win! Forgive me, rare chance to celebrate.

GoMuskies
10-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Congrats to Temple on the big win at East Carolina tonight. This gets them a super exciting home date with Notre Dame on Halloween night as an undefeated, likely top 20 team. They might even get GameDay for that one. Good for them.

Milhouse
10-23-2015, 07:24 AM
That insane to think. Undefeated Temple hosting ND for gameday on Halloween Night.

They've won 1 bowl game in the last 35 years...

AAC has turned into a fun G5 conference this year. I believe UC was like the unanimous pick to win the conference as well? Here we are week 8 and they haven't won a conference game.

X-band '01
10-23-2015, 07:54 AM
Their inaugural championship game should be intriguing. Because of Temple's win over UC, the Owls are on the inside track to win the East. Memphis, Houston and Navy are in the loaded West division.

Xville
10-23-2015, 09:41 AM
checking the next two week's schedule for college football...it is pretty slim on intriguing games. Ole Miss-Texas A&m and Notre Dame-Temple are most likely the only two games between two ranked teams....yuck.

Porkopolis
10-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Memphis, Houston and Navy are in the loaded West division.

Navy in the West is truly bizarre in that MLB before realignment way.

GoMuskies
10-24-2015, 09:41 AM
USC -3.5 seems to be the bet of the day. On its face the line makes no sense, and everyone in the world is on Utah. I like that formula.

Strange Brew
10-24-2015, 10:21 AM
USC -3.5 seems to be the bet of the day. On its face the line makes no sense, and everyone in the world is on Utah. I like that formula.

Now -6.5. One of the oddest lines I can remember...

GIMMFD
10-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Now -6.5. One of the oddest lines I can remember...

Vegas always seems to know something, don't be surprised if USC covers.

paulxu
10-24-2015, 12:38 PM
The Cocks are favored this week.

X-band '01
10-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Miami is Clemsoning at home.

xudash
10-24-2015, 02:04 PM
I can't stand either team, but it is games like this that should remind any fan of the U that Miami's program is a real pretender. What fan support.

The leadership of the ACC must be shaking their heads over what the Miami program has become.

GIMMFD
10-24-2015, 03:53 PM
I can't stand either team, but it is games like this that should remind any fan of the U that Miami's program is a real pretender. What fan support.

The leadership of the ACC must be shaking their heads over what the Miami program has become.

Makes no sense to me, they are in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in all of the country, they have amazing facilities, the weather is incredible, as are the ladies.. I can't fathom how far the U has dropped off, Golden will be fired at the end of the season, they should seriously consider Memphis' staff (Fuentes and company) or Houston's staff (Hermann and company), those guys will land a big time job soon.

Juice
10-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Makes no sense to me, they are in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in all of the country, they have amazing facilities, the weather is incredible, as are the ladies.. I can't fathom how far the U has dropped off, Golden will be fired at the end of the season, they should seriously consider Memphis' staff (Fuentes and company) or Houston's staff (Hermann and company), those guys will land a big time job soon.

They need to fire him tomorrow to get a head start on the coaching search and to salvage a really, really good recruiting class. They won't though because they gutless and/or incompetent.

That being said, I do feel bad for Golden because most of his time there has been under investigation and probation. But it's clear he's not the guy for the job.

GIMMFD
10-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Vegas always seems to know something, don't be surprised if USC covers.

Boy I'm a smart cookie sometimes.