08-20-2015, 03:06 PM
I was dropped of at Brockman 25 years ago. Yikes

Pluto
08-20-2015, 03:11 PM
20 years ago today I met my wife...

XUFan09
08-20-2015, 03:13 PM
20 years ago today I met my wife...
10 years ago yesterday for me. We were in the same Manresa group.

Pete Delkus
08-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Awww... I would break out the guitar and sing:

"I gave my love a cherry without a stone
I gave my love a chicken without a bone
I gave my love a uh...uh - O"

sorry

powerofX
08-20-2015, 03:19 PM
10 years ago yesterday for me. We were in the same Manresa group.

Met the first girl I hooked up with at X in my group. Does that count?

X-band '01
08-20-2015, 03:19 PM
18 years ago. Still single (shocking, I know).

DC Muskie
08-20-2015, 03:24 PM
"Excuse me sir, may I help your daughter with her chest?"

"Here miss, let me grab your drawers."

"My you certainly have quite a trunk don't you?"

94GRAD
08-20-2015, 03:26 PM
"Excuse me sir, may I help your daughter with her chest?"

"Here miss, let me grab your drawers."

"My you certainly have quite a trunk don't you?"

"Let me show you my trunk." Never seen or heard from again

xu82
08-20-2015, 03:28 PM
18 years ago. Still single (shocking, I know).

That could be the avatar.... just sayin'

xubrew
08-20-2015, 03:29 PM
I think I was in college at exactly the right time. We had most of the cool stuff (or enough of it anyway), but it hadn't advanced to the point to where it could get you in trouble yet. If Youtube and Facebook were commonplace when I was in school, it would have been game over before the end of the first week. The idea of colleges needing to save people from themselves was definitely in existence, but not nearly to the extent that it is now, so you could still pretty much do what you wanted without feeling like Big Brother was watching.

People think kids today are crazier than ever. I completely disagree. At worst, they're as bad, and in most cases they're less crazy than we were. It's just that people are able to see a lot more of it because of social media. I still work at a university, and although we didn't have as much as the kids today, I still think we had it better.

Having said that, it is strange that college freshmen are now half my age.

xu82
08-20-2015, 03:36 PM
Two kids in my son's freshman class got expelled.....during orientation!

That's one long ride home with mom and dad who didn't even have time to get out of town yet.

X-band '01
08-20-2015, 03:48 PM
I think I was in college at exactly the right time. We had most of the cool stuff (or enough of it anyway), but it hadn't advanced to the point to where it could get you in trouble yet. If Youtube and Facebook were commonplace when I was in school, it would have been game over before the end of the first week. The idea of colleges needing to save people from themselves was definitely in existence, but not nearly to the extent that it is now, so you could still pretty much do what you wanted without feeling like Big Brother was watching.

People think kids today are crazier than ever. I completely disagree. At worst, they're as bad, and in most cases they're less crazy than we were. It's just that people are able to see a lot more of it because of social media. I still work at a university, and although we didn't have as much as the kids today, I still think we had it better.

That's what made the Police Notes in the Newswire entertaining each week.

xudash
08-20-2015, 04:08 PM
I was dropped of at Brockman 25 years ago. Yikes

Did this drop-off occur with the droppee - you in this case - exiting the vehicle with the vehicle moving no more than 5 MPH?

xudash
08-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Don't worry, it eventually moves past the strange phase.

paulxu
08-20-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't think Sloth made Manresa.

xu82
08-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Don't worry, it eventually moves past the strange phase.

Yeah, "strange" stopped being adequate quite a while ago for me. I see couples with young kids and say to my wife "wonder how they do it? they look about our age". She says "NO, they don't - you lack awareness". She's smarter than I am.

JTG
08-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Two kids in my son's freshman class got expelled.....during orientation!

That's one long ride home with mom and dad who didn't even have time to get out of town yet.

What in God's name did they do ?

xu82
08-20-2015, 06:02 PM
What in God's name did they do ?

Apparently they thought they were in an approved drug zone/dorm. They were not - as they soon discovered. "That weekend in college didn't turn out like you planned...." or something like that.

bobbiemcgee
08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
I discovered Dana's and Tally Ho during Manresa, therefore my attendance was low.

Emp
08-20-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't think Sloth made Manresa.

Hostile Sloth/Craig Hildebrand, was legendary. So were The (indy) Bandits, MrTits, and woody's Hideout.

paulxu
08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
I had forgotten about the Bandits.
I had not forgotten about Woody's. I could roll home to Marion from there.

bobbiemcgee
08-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Hostile Sloth/Craig Hildebrand, was legendary. So were The (indy) Bandits, MrTits, and woody's Hideout.

I see Craig at every venue when X is in the Dance. Think he still lives in Boise.

xudash
08-20-2015, 09:16 PM
I had forgotten about the Bandits.
I had not forgotten about Woody's. I could roll home to Marion from there.

Now that I've met you, you look like someone who should be dorming in a mansion!

ChicagoX
08-21-2015, 09:41 AM
This brings up great memories of those days when Keystone Light was great because it wasn't Natty Light or Beast.

Cheesehead
08-21-2015, 09:16 PM
I dropped off my son Thursday. He is on second floor in Brockman, nearly right above my room in 134 in 1987. It's surreal for me. I told him Brockman is a rite of passage.

PM Thor
08-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Brockman just had their first fire alarm go off just now. When I heard it on dispatch I couldn't help but laugh. The first alarm of the year is a rite of passage for all the freshmen in Brockman.

D-West & PO-Z
08-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Brockman just had their first fire alarm go off just now. When I heard it on dispatch I couldn't help but laugh. The first alarm of the year is a rite of passage for all the freshmen in Brockman.

Ugh at SLU my freshman year we had a frat's pledges going for the record in one of our dorms for most consecutive nights pulling the alarm. This was a 16 floor dorm with two 5 floor dorms attached at sides that had to be evacuated every time. I gained a lot of weight those two weeks considering one of our buddies had a car and we hoped in and went to McDonald's every time to kill time.

bourbonman
08-21-2015, 10:37 PM
I was dropped off 41 years ago, but it was in late September, when X stared back then. Vee never been the same.

bobbiemcgee
08-22-2015, 11:28 AM
I dropped off my son Thursday. He is on second floor in Brockman, nearly right above my room in 134 in 1987. It's surreal for me. I told him Brockman is a rite of passage.

My first visit to Brockman was the day JFK got killed in Dallas. Not exactly a party atmosphere. Came back the next fall to occupy the room on the first floor next to the john. Rudy Prickrill hardly ever got down that way. He did bust us for bowling in the hall once with hijacked ball and pins from the bowling alley in Norwood? Ever wonder how those dents got in the fire doors?

xubrew
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
My first visit to Brockman was the day JFK got killed in Dallas. Not exactly a party atmosphere. Came back the next fall to occupy the room on the first floor next to the john. Rudy Prickrill hardly ever got down that way. He did bust us for bowling in the hall once with hijacked ball and pins from the bowling alley in Norwood? Ever wonder how those dents got in the fire doors?

These are the kinds of things that aren't easily done anymore.

Well, to put it more accurately, that are exceedingly more difficult now. I'm not saying it's better. I'm not saying it's worse. But, currently we live in a social media age with security cameras everywhere. Kids just can't get away with it the way they used to. Had athletes been involved, it'd be a Sportscenter Feature about how they ripped off a bowling alley and tore up the dorm. That's what I meant earlier when I said we had less stuff, but we still had it better. I lived in the Pit of Brockman. People ask me if I want to be in college again. My response is, yes, but only if it can be 1999 again. I'd rather be 35 than 18 in our present year and time. The post internet/pre social media age really was the sweet spot for college. We had all the cool stuff, but not nearly as many of hte consequences.

Cheesehead
08-22-2015, 03:31 PM
These are the kinds of things that aren't easily done anymore.

Well, to put it more accurately, that are exceedingly more difficult now. I'm not saying it's better. I'm not saying it's worse. But, currently we live in a social media age with security cameras everywhere. Kids just can't get away with it the way they used to. Had athletes been involved, it'd be a Sportscenter Feature about how they ripped off a bowling alley and tore up the dorm. That's what I meant earlier when I said we had less stuff, but we still had it better. I lived in the Pit of Brockman. People ask me if I want to be in college again. My response is, yes, but only if it can be 1999 again. I'd rather be 35 than 18 in our present year and time. The post internet/pre social media age really was the sweet spot for college. We had all the cool stuff, but not nearly as many of hte consequences.

Agreed. None of us that I hung out with would have been hired. There are some photos floating around but I am not posting them!

paulxu
08-22-2015, 05:09 PM
Vee never been the same.

No he hasn't.

blobfan
08-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Didn't have to live in Brockman to fall into that trap. Residence Life had there offices there when I lived on campus. Cannot remember what I went there for but distinctly remember the feeling of being responsible for setting off the alarm when I walked out the wrong door. I'm sure it made it really fun for the folks working in the TV studio there.

xubrew
08-25-2015, 12:26 PM
I can't say we ever did anything like this. Wow...

http://wjhl.com/2015/08/24/old-dominion-univ-president-responds-to-signs-hung-at-off-campus-home/

D-West & PO-Z
08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
I can't say we ever did anything like this. Wow...

http://wjhl.com/2015/08/24/old-dominion-univ-president-responds-to-signs-hung-at-off-campus-home/

Heard on the radio OSU hoses had similar signs this week. I dont think quite as offensive but along the same lines.

nuts4xu
08-25-2015, 03:06 PM
After spending 6 weeks of the summer before my freshman year in the bridge program, I saw no reason to attend Manresa. I already had lived on campus, puked in my RA's dorm room, burned tree with Willie Cunningham's son, got sucker punched at a party that nearly cost me my eye socket, and had 7 credit hours under my belt....not for any of the above listed activities of course.

I felt I was a seasoned vet and didn't need the Manresa experience. Congrats to all those who survived the experience and lived to tell about it.