PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps Butler's Best Recruiting Class Ever

Muskie
08-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Link (http://www.indystar.com/story/butler-insider/2015/08/06/lebron-announces-offer--butler--akron-forward/31208895/)

It would be hard to exceed Butler's 2008 recruiting class that included Gordon Hayward, Shelvin Mack, Ronald Nored, Chase Stigall and Garrett Butcher. But coming out of high school, none was a nationally ranked player.
With commitments of two 2016 recruits Thursday, the Bulldogs have assembled what is by far their most touted class since rankings were introduced. 247 Sports has already placed Butler -- featuring four players, each from a different state -- at No. 11 in itsteam rankings of recruiting classes. (http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings)

Xaveriana
08-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks Muskie. Still don't understand the draw to Butler. Why do great players want to play there? Do they know BS is gone?

Xville
08-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks Muskie. Still don't understand the draw to Butler. Why do great players want to play there? Do they know BS is gone?

Good academics, recent tradition of winning, smack dab in the middle of a midwest city, not too small, not too big. Sounds a lot like Xavier to me.

casualfan
08-07-2015, 09:28 AM

Do you know they earned a 6 seed last year despite being two coaches removed from BS?

X-band '01
08-07-2015, 09:41 AM

Do you know they earned a 6 seed last year despite being two coaches removed from BS?

I think having a more stable coaching situation also helped. It was at this time last year when Brandon Miller was on a leave of absence and Chris Holtmann was their interim coach. Creighton is a team that needs to get their act together soon or they'll wind up in the bottom half of the Big East for a while.

bobbiemcgee
08-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Good for BU. Some classic battles shaping up for years to come.

casualfan
08-07-2015, 10:00 AM
I think having a more stable coaching situation also helped. It was at this time last year when Brandon Miller was on a leave of absence and Chris Holtmann was their interim coach. Creighton is a team that needs to get their act together soon or they'll wind up in the bottom half of the Big East for a while.

McDermott has made the tourney 3 times in the last 9 years.

Those three years happened to coincide with his son's sophomore, junior, and senior years at Creighton.

The fact that he hasn't been the tourney once, at either Iowa State or Creighton, without a blood relative leading his time would scare the living hell out of me if I was a Creighton fan.

Xville
08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
McDermott has made the tourney 3 times in the last 9 years.

Those three years happened to coincide with his son's sophomore, junior, and senior years at Creighton.

The fact that he hasn't been the tourney once, at either Iowa State or Creighton, without a blood relative leading his time would scare the living hell out of me if I was a Creighton fan.

agreed...with the way that fan base supports their team, they deserve better.

casualfan
08-07-2015, 10:23 AM
agreed...with the way that fan base supports their team, they deserve better.

They're in a weird spot because whenever he gets canned they're going to be firing the dad of the best player to ever play there.

Kind of becomes a question of how far away from Doug's tenure here do we have to wait to do it so it's not super awkward.

BandAid
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
It's still really early to rank the 2016 class. So many kids still have to sign. As it stands right now, both X and Butler will probably end up in the high teens-25 range if we stand pat with the recruits we have committed.

Chalmers0
08-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Devil magic (half kidding).

The 2016 class is HUGE for Butler. Between Stevens July departure and the following Brandon Miller "era", Butler was put a bit behind the 8-ball in terms of recruiting so it's actually pretty impressive what Holtman has been able to do on that front. Given their roster makeup, they are really going to need a guy or two from 2016 to make an instant impact. Brunk especially was huge considering their massive need for a big man and him being relatively local.

As stated above, they definitely won't stay that highly ranked but still a much needed deep class put together by Holtman.

More Cowbell
08-28-2015, 04:37 PM
With Butler's score of 41.4 and an average ranking of 90.95, they would be ranked around 40 based on last year's rankings. Definitely too early to anoint this class.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

If X adds Taurean Thompson, they would get a score of 46.01.

bobbiemcgee
08-28-2015, 06:16 PM
If X adds Taurean Thompson, they would get a score of 46.01.

247 seems to like our chances, but then they're wrong alot;

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Taurean-Thompson-at-Brewster-Academy-150362/CurrentExpertPredictions

LA Muskie
08-28-2015, 07:10 PM
247 seems to like our chances, but then they're wrong alot;

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Taurean-Thompson-at-Brewster-Academy-150362/CurrentExpertPredictions
I believe we are the perceived front-runner until/unless Maryland offers.

Juice
08-28-2015, 07:27 PM
I believe we are the perceived front-runner until/unless Maryland offers.

He's also visiting Xavier last