PDA

View Full Version : Gene Wojciechowski Hates Dayton Too

BBC 08
03-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Here are his thoughts on the NCAA tournament:

1: Quit trying to fake us out with the so-called "opening round game"
It's not an opening round game; it's a play-in game. Not only that, but it's a play-in game in Dayton, Ohio. I mean, haven't the kids suffered enough?

Nothing against Dayton, but if the NCAA is going to treat the 65th and 64th teams in the tournament like nasal drip, then the least it can do is schedule the game somewhere below the Rust Belt. I hear Orlando, Fla., is nice.

Or better yet, do away with the humiliating play-in game altogether. Or if the NCAA insists on keeping it (and it will), expand the tournament field to 68 teams and have four play-in games, all on the same day. Turn it into an event, rather than a stigmatizing, oh-by-the-way prelude to the real thing -- which is what you get with one lonely, obligatory play-in.

JAPER
03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Someone last year had the best idea about the play-in game. Have the last two at-large selections play each other for the last #12 or #13 seed.

The play-in game is a joke and humilates the two teams playing in it. They deserve and earned the right to play a #1 seed. The loser of this game ends their season on a sad note IMO.

I'm not against the game being in Dayton. Its a central location.

waggy
03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
The NCAA should be ashamed for themselves for screwing the little guy like this. These guys earned the right to the full dance experience. At least they are champions of something. The team that takes there place could very well have finished 7th in their respective conference.

Raoul Duke
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree on the concept of the play in game, but he's off base on the 'rust belt'/location comment. There are a lot of good points being made on udpride (heresy, I know.) Basically, the city of Dayton can draw large crowds to a college basketball game by virtue of it being a college basketball game. Try putting the game in Orlando or, say, Atlantic City, and see what kind of crowds you draw.

PM Thor
03-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Raoul makes a point. dayton does draw a crowd to the play in game. I mean, if your local team stinks, wouldn't you want to see what two NCAA tourney teams look like on the same court?

xudash
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Thor,

I am shocked it took you 24 minutes to post that.

Raoul kicked the door wide open for you. You were the first person I thought of in terms of seeing your follow up come through.

Clearly, the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility has kicked in. Beating Dayton has become blase.

JAX 3758
03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Dayton just cant catch any breaks these days

I F*****G love it ! :cool:

PM Thor
03-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Thor,

I am shocked it took you 24 minutes to post that.

Raoul kicked the door wide open for you. You were the first person I thought of in terms of seeing your follow up come through.

Clearly, the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility has kicked in. Beating Dayton has become blase.

I will admit, I am off my dayton bashing game today. Just not doing it very well.

Snipe
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
I like his idea to expand the play in game to 8. I have thought of that before. You could take the worst 8 teams and put them up head to head. You could then add six more at large selections. You do that and you might start getting some competative first round games for the 1 & 2 seeds.

American X
03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I never understood why the NCAA did not have the balls to reduce the number of at-large bids and give the Moutain West its automatic bid.

It is asinine to rob the loser of the play-in game of the NCAA Tournament experience by sending them to Dayton.

The NCAA is heavy-handed with everything else, but delicate as a flower when it came to this.