PDA

View Full Version : US Bank Arena Overhaul

THRILLHOUSE
07-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Here's a look at the plans for the latest coat of lipstick on US Bank Arena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMLpobd6AWI

Exterior looks nice, but I'd like to see more of what their plans are for the interior. Would also want to know how they plan to finance it.

Joe Danneman ‏@FOX19Joe 1m1 minute ago
U.S. Bank Arena renovation concepts include:
New facade
Seats increased to 18,500
New suite level
Wider concourses
Modernized locker rooms

And I guess there will be a presser with more details later today:

Joe Danneman ‏@FOX19Joe 2m2 minutes ago
Again - these are concepts. U.S. Bank Arena CEO and architect will be taking questions later this morning.

GoMuskies
07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
NCAA Tournament back to Cincinnati? That would be nice. Particularly if we can get NKU to host so that Xavier can play there.

I remember when the Women's Final Four was in Cincinnati back when I was at Xavier. Man, what a shitty venue for that. The Women's Final Four certainly has become a much, much bigger and better event since those days.

theleague
07-28-2015, 09:37 AM
If I'm UC and have the choice of spending $90 million on 5/3 or spending a fraction of that to play downtown, think I'm going with the latter.

GoMuskies
07-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Louisville makes it work playing off campus. No reason UC can't do the same.

Juice
07-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Who hell is paying for this renovation?

X-band '01
07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
NCAA Tournament back to Cincinnati? That would be nice. Particularly if we can get NKU to host so that Xavier can play there.

I remember when the Women's Final Four was in Cincinnati back when I was at Xavier. Man, what a shitty venue for that. The Women's Final Four certainly has become a much, much bigger and better event since those days.

A conference can also host the event (i.e. American or Horizon or even MAC) without forbidding a school like UC/NKU/Miami from playing at USBank.

paulxu
07-28-2015, 10:54 AM
if the Brown family is involved I can answer that question for you.

X-band '01
07-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Who hell is paying for this renovation?

Link - Cincinnati Enquirer (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2015/07/28/renovation-ahead-us-bank-arena/30775649/)

Nothing has been finalized; this is simply a proposal at this point.

But to add to Thrillhouse's original point, they're also proposing raising the roof (literally) so they can add more seats and luxury suites to get to a capacity of 18,500.

X-Fan
07-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Link - Cincinnati Enquirer (http://www.cincinnati.com/story/money/2015/07/28/renovation-ahead-us-bank-arena/30775649/)

Nothing has been finalized; this is simply a proposal at this point.

But to add to Thrillhouse's original point, they're also proposing raising the roof (literally) so they can add more seats and luxury suites to get to a capacity of 18,500.

Raising the roof? Knowing the numerous limitations of that building, I don't see how renovating it is cheaper than building a new structure.

THRILLHOUSE
07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Raising the roof? Knowing the numerous limitations of that building, I don't see how renovating it is cheaper than building a new structure.

I'm assuming demolition costs then building an entirely new structure would cost a lot more than this renovation would. Also renovation won't take quite as long as a complete rebuild.

That said, I'm definitely curious at what the cost of this would be since it is a much larger renovation than what they did when it went from the Coliseum to the Crown/Firstar/US Bank.

THRILLHOUSE
07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Looks like a $200million pricetag - http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/07/28/u-s-bank-arena-exec-talks-about-how-to-pay-for.html?ana=twt

XU 87
07-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Looks like a $200million pricetag - http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/07/28/u-s-bank-arena-exec-talks-about-how-to-pay-for.html?ana=twt

Public/private partnership. I hope they are not expecting another tax increase to pass to fund this.

Isn't an 18,000 seat arena small by today's standards?

powerofX
07-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Public/private partnership. I hope they are not expecting another tax increase to pass to fund this.

Isn't an 18,000 seat arena small by today's standards?

For comparison, Memphis and OKC both have arenas just a few heads over 18k. I'd actually look at it the other way...name another arena that holds 18k without a major primary tenant.

Kahns Krazy
07-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Get US Bank to pay for the whole thing. Cheaper than their recent Vikings sponsorship.

http://www.startribune.com/report-us-bank-vikings-sign-naming-rights-deal-worth-9-million-annually-to-the-team/307444581/

X-band '01
07-28-2015, 02:25 PM
For comparison, Memphis and OKC both have arenas just a few heads over 18k. I'd actually look at it the other way...name another arena that holds 18k without a major primary tenant.

It would also be a possibility (albeit very remote) to entice UC basketball to move downtown should UC's plans to renovate Fifth Third Arena fall short.

Get US Bank to pay for the whole thing. Cheaper than their recent Vikings sponsorship.

http://www.startribune.com/report-us-bank-vikings-sign-naming-rights-deal-worth-9-million-annually-to-the-team/307444581/

Yeah, but I don't think the Cincinnati Cyclones are going to draw eyeballs like the Minnesota Vikings do. Unless Cincinnati wants to make a run at an AHL hockey team or arena football team. The ultimate longshot would be to entice an NHL or NBA team to move or expand to Cincinnati.

blobfan
07-28-2015, 02:31 PM
“It won’t be $400 million. It would probably be closer to that lower number, $200 million.”

So about $299 million. Still, cheaper than PBS with a likely greater benefit to the surrounding area. Some public financing makes sense so long as the contract allows for equivalent public input. It would certainly add to the activity at The Banks.

XU 87
07-28-2015, 02:40 PM

Greensboro?

I think NC Greensboro plays there and they occasionally get the ACC tournament.

Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville State plays there.

But I doubt either school can afford to pay much in rent.

GoMuskies
07-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Wichita has an arena that seats about 15,000 downtown that is basically new (6 years old maybe?). It has no real tenant other than AA hockey.

X-band '01
07-28-2015, 03:26 PM
Greensboro?

I think NC Greensboro plays there and they occasionally get the ACC tournament.

Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville State plays there.

But I doubt either school can afford to pay much in rent.

If you're referring to the arena (and it is a very good venue) where Xavier played in the NCAAs, it's actually Jacksonville (JU) that plays there. They also have an arena football league team that plays there during the summer along with a museum dedicated to the Florida-Georgia football rivalry.

There's also the Sprint Center in Kansas City that doesn't have a major pro sports team. Like Cincinnati, they at one time hosted the Kansas City Kings before their move to Sacramento. It's also a popular venue for college basketball events including an exempt event, the occasional KU game, along with Big 12 tournaments and NCAA Tournaments.

THRILLHOUSE
07-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Hamilton County Commissioner's response to the proposal: http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2015/07/29/u-s-bank-arena-renovation-needs-uc-basketball.html?ana=twt

(short version - he would endorse the plan if UC basketball would make USBank their permanent home)

nuts4xu
07-29-2015, 03:16 PM
I can't imagine whoever pays for it will see a great return on the investment. This town needs an up to date venue, as they will never draw events like the Republican or Democratic National Conventions, let alone an NCAA tourney game without a viable arena. If they can't secure such events, and do not have a permanent tenant, I don't see why anyone would pay to renovate or replace US Bank Arena.

I don't want to see a tax increase to fund these costs, but I also don't see how something like this gets done without it.