PDA

View Full Version : #1 PG in 2016 Class to Make Official Visit

Pages : [1] 2

GetUp5
07-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else...

Kobi Simmons (Ga.) has announced 2 official visits: Kentucky and Xavier.

Big news for C Mack to get this kind of caliber recruit to campus!!!

XU3232
07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else...

Kobi Simmons (Ga.) has announced 2 official visits: Kentucky and Xavier.

Big news for C Mack to get this kind of caliber recruit to campus!!!

Kobi is very good friends with Kaiser Gates and played with him in high school. This would be huge.

XUMIOH12
07-08-2015, 07:27 PM
There have been many 5 star recruits to take visits to Xavier, but its usually just that, a visit. The fact that the two kids play both HS and AAU together gives me a little glimmer of hope he may be actually interested.

DC Muskie
07-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Really? There's been many?

BandAid
07-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Come to Xavier Kobi. You won't regret it.

paulxu
07-08-2015, 07:57 PM
You guys with that twitter stuff, ramp it up and talk Kaiser's buddy Kobi Simmons to come to X next year.

Nice job by you twitter guys. Props.

MuskieCinci
07-08-2015, 08:06 PM
My guess is he and Kaiser are really good friends and naturally the staff would have done some token recruiting with him as well when they were watching Kaiser. I don't know when the two visits are, maybe visit UK Thursday - Friday and visit his friend Saturday - Sunday on Xavier's dime? Or do official visits have to be separate weekends?

Whatever the case is, I see absolutely zero downsides to one of the very best players in the country coming on an official visit. Great job by Kaiser if he is actively helping the staff try to recruit his friend and who knows, maybe some of the other schools recruiting him take other players at his position and the staff has a real shot? Just trying not to get my hopes up, as this would obviously be huge but we've only known about the recruitment for 8 seconds now.

paulxu
07-08-2015, 08:16 PM
August 28th Kentucky, September 4th Xavier.

I don't think we've officially ever extended an offer.

paulxu
07-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Can't find anything about who this guy is, but apparently he's Kobi's uncle and from the picture is in Cincinnati someplace.

https://twitter.com/bjones20fp

xu82
07-08-2015, 09:38 PM
Nice job by you twitter guys. Props.

Where would they be without you?

Great news!

waggy
07-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Can't find anything about who this guy is, but apparently he's Kobi's uncle and from the picture is in Cincinnati someplace.

https://twitter.com/bjones20fp

Quotes the bible alot. I like him.

Come to Xavier...

MADXSTER
07-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Kobi has about 35 schools recruiting him. A recruit only gets 5 official visits. I don't think Kobi would be burning an official visit just to hang out with a buddy. Just saying

GoMuskies
07-08-2015, 10:44 PM
Kobi has about 35 schools recruiting him. A recruit only gets 5 official visits. I don't think Kobi would be burning an official visit just to hang out with a buddy. Just saying

Unless he's already decided on Kentucky. Hopefully that's not the case.

X-Fan
07-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Seriously good stuff. Might not get him, but let's make visits, and eventual signings, of guys of this caliber a regular thing. #ProgramProgress #LetsGoX

#ILoveHashTags

kyxu
07-09-2015, 08:15 AM
In the world of college basketball recruiting, now to September 4 is a lifetime. First step is actually getting this kid on campus for a visit, as recruits will seemingly change plans on the day of. Kentucky is all over Simmons. I remember when Anthony Davis visited Xavier. Then he blew up, went to Kentucky, and was the #1 overall pick in the draft after his freshman season.

Having said all that, nothing bad about any of this. Great work by the Xavier staff.

ballyhoohoo
07-09-2015, 08:17 AM
In the world of college basketball recruiting, now to September 4 is a lifetime. First step is actually getting this kid on campus for a visit, as recruits will seemingly change plans on the day of. Kentucky is all over Simmons. I remember when Anthony Davis visited Xavier. Then he blew up, went to Kentucky, and was the #1 overall pick in the draft after his freshman season.

Having said all that, nothing bad about any of this. Great work by the Xavier staff.

He never made the visit. He scheduled.

Kyle Anderson made a visit then pulled the trigger for Ucla

kyxu
07-09-2015, 08:19 AM
He never made the visit. He scheduled.

Gotcha. I did not know that (or at least misremembered).

EDIT: So even more cautionary to the Kobi Simmons recruitment; scheduling visits doesn't mean much at this point.

MuskieCinci
07-09-2015, 08:27 AM
We're all being way too cautious and rational about this right now. Can someone please be a little overconfident? Can we get a 'Kobi Simmons: Commitment Watch!' thread from somebody? At least someone spread a 'friend of my great uncle has a niece married to someone close to the program, and this thing is looking pretty good actually!' rumor?

SemajParlor
07-09-2015, 08:40 AM
* Kaiser Gates tweets plane emoji*

blueblob06
07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Wow this would be HUGE! Come to X!

powerofX
07-09-2015, 08:57 AM
We're all being way too cautious and rational about this right now. Can someone please be a little overconfident? Can we get a 'Kobi Simmons: Commitment Watch!' thread from somebody? At least someone spread a 'friend of my great uncle has a niece married to someone close to the program, and this thing is looking pretty good actually!' rumor?

OK random tweet to get us over the top excited...

Dan McDonald ‏@DMcDonaldRivals 15h15 hours ago
Don't sleep on Xavier with Simmons. VERY close friends with incoming Xavier freshman Kaiser Gates

xu82
07-09-2015, 09:07 AM
I don't care how great he is, everyone at Kentucky is just another recruit. Regardless of what Calipari tells the young men. This would be huge for us, and added to the current talent, the skies the limit!

Cheesehead
07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
My sources tell me Kobi is a done deal for X. Put a bow on it, it's wrapped up.

Of course, my sources are me and myself and I tend to be full of crap.

This would be a milestone if this kid came to XU though.

GoMuskies
07-09-2015, 10:54 AM
It would indeed be quite the milestone, and he would clearly lead us to our first national title.

However, given that Mack has not yet officially offered him, if he chooses Kentucky it's obviously only because we don't really want him.

RealDeal
07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
I feel good about this, considering Calipari won't be able to pry him with cash due to the beef empire his family has going.

Come to Xavier!

DC Muskie
07-09-2015, 11:38 AM
My sources tell me Kobi is a done deal for X. Put a bow on it, it's wrapped up.

Of course, my sources are me and myself and I tend to be full of crap.

This would be a milestone if this kid came to XU though.

Man holding me down, so reps, I like your sources.

(no homo)

brownlavender
07-09-2015, 11:50 AM
he is actually best friends with gates, he also has other ties to cincinnati as well. I believe his step dad and other family memebers live in the cincy area

PM Thor
07-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised no one has attempted to make a joke about having Kobi and Kaiser make a nice sammich together, or something like that. I tried, but it kept coming out wrong on so many levels.

GoMuskies
07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
No RAs between the Kobi and Kaiser sandwich please.

Juice
07-09-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't care how great he is, everyone at Kentucky is just another recruit. Regardless of what Calipari tells the young men. This would be huge for us, and added to the current talent, the skies the limit!

Another recruit that he can turn into a lottery pick after his freshman year.

waggy
07-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Another recruit that he can turn into a lottery pick after his freshman year.

You actually believe Calipari does this?

waggy
07-09-2015, 12:59 PM
http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthread.php?29931-Calipari-vs-Dan-Patrick&p=507291#post507291

XUFan09
07-09-2015, 01:16 PM
A lot of recruits do, because they mixed up correlation with causation.

Juice
07-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Yes in most cases the players are already talented enough, but he sure as shit doesn't hurt them. Even Marquis Teague was a first round pick under Cal. If I'm a recruit I wouldn't worry about UK/Cal's ability to turn me into or make sure I'm a lottery pick. That cannot be said about Xavier.

xudash
07-09-2015, 01:41 PM
So he has a very good friend coming into our program.

Another consideration that should help in our favor is our educational profile. I'm not impuning UK in this regard, though I suspect jokes are easy to make when considering Calipari's rep, I'm simply stating that Xavier has an excellent profile in supporting student-athletes.

I wonder how the young man and his parents feel about his education. And I realize I'm putting that out there in the case of a young man who sees himself heading into the NBA sooner than later.

Backyard Champ
07-09-2015, 02:26 PM
he is actually best friends with gates, he also has other ties to cincinnati as well. I believe his step dad and other family memebers live in the cincy area

It's not like UK is that far from Cincinnati. But anything in our favor is great I suppose.

Xville
07-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes in most cases the players are already talented enough, but he sure as shit doesn't hurt them. Even Marquis Teague was a first round pick under Cal. If I'm a recruit I wouldn't worry about UK/Cal's ability to turn me into or make sure I'm a lottery pick. That cannot be said about Xavier.

Aaron Harrison would disagree with you. The platoon system did hurt some of those guys. Can't disagree with cal's system of putting players in the nba, but it's not a complete "slam dunk."

Juice
07-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Aaron Harrison would disagree with you. The platoon system did hurt some of those guys. Can't disagree with cal's system of putting players in the nba, but it's not a complete "slam dunk."

He probably would have had he left after his freshman year. And Aaron is a SG, Andrew is the PG who was taken in the 2nd round.

Xville
07-09-2015, 02:55 PM
He probably would have had he left after his freshman year. And Aaron is a SG, Andrew is the PG who was taken in the 2nd round.

I thought you were talking about all positions not just pg. Regardless, cal can get them to the nba but he isn't the best teacher. Recruits won't care but I think he actually hurts development in a lot of ways because he isn't the best x and o coach. With the players that he gets, he should have at least 2 if not 3 titles. It took basically a once in a generation type talent to even get 1.

xu82
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
The NBA will find and draft talent wherever it may be. If they can draft these Euro league guys from some place you've never heard of, they can make their way to Cincinnati and Big East games. It may actually help to not be limited to 17-18 minutes a game. If you're only going to spend one year in college, make it a great one!

Masterofreality
07-09-2015, 07:45 PM
OK random tweet to get us over the top excited...

Dan McDonald ‏@DMcDonaldRivals 15h15 hours ago
Don't sleep on Xavier with Simmons. VERY close friends with incoming Xavier freshman Kaiser Gates

Nice. Nothing else, just nice.

paulxu
07-09-2015, 09:08 PM
We don't (apparently) offer 5 star recruits regularly.
So if this kid came to X, it would be really something. I'd be laughing for years at the hubris of other programs.

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/Simmons-on-Kentucky-Im-their-guy-38116621

xukeith
07-09-2015, 10:38 PM
He must be coming to X to say hello to Kaiser Gates. And say hello to the X coaches.
Maybe hang in the dorms and eat cafeteria food.

Muskied
07-10-2015, 07:17 AM
He must be coming to X to say hello to Kaiser Gates. And say hello to the X coaches.
Maybe hang in the dorms and eat cafeteria food.

Now would be a great time for new NCAA violations to surface at Kentucky. Just sayin.

STL_XUfan
07-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Now would be a great time for new NCAA violations to surface at Kentucky. Just sayin.

Or Cleveland's coach to get fired

paulxu
07-10-2015, 09:09 AM
Dan McDonald
‏@DMcDonaldRivals Probably worth noting that Chris Mack is here watching Kobi Simmons for the 2nd straight day. Told me yesterday he's visiting Xavier.

Xville
07-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Has Xavier ever had a 5 star recruit commit? The only one I could think of would be maybe Drew Lavender and he was obviously a transfer...i'm not even sure if he was a five star, but almost positive he was a mcdonald all-american.

NY44
07-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Has Xavier ever had a 5 star recruit commit? The only one I could think of would be maybe Drew Lavender and he was obviously a transfer...i'm not even sure if he was a five star, but almost positive he was a mcdonald all-american.

Somehow I'm blanking on the name, but who's the guy who had trouble, then committed then went to Manhattan? I thought he might have been 5 star at some point.

Xville
07-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Somehow I'm blanking on the name, but who's the guy who had trouble, then committed then went to Manhattan? I thought he might have been 5 star at some point.

Chris Thomas....whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever play a game in college? I don't think even he ended up being a five star...though maybe before he committed to Manhattan he was.

xu82
07-10-2015, 09:57 AM
I put this in the Fultz thread, but I think it belongs here too - because, well, I'm tired of Calipari.

I think UK gets too much credit here. These kids are generally seen as one and done kids, and they turn out to be one and done kids. What's the magic in that? Take a 3 or 4 star kid and develop him into an NBA player and I'm more impressed. Don't get me wrong, I know they had a half dozen kids picked high last year, but that's not because Calipari made them great players. They were great players before they ever stepped onto campus. His talent is he charms them into attending UK and then he gets credit for the inevitable. (Though it's easy to argue he under-achieves with that much talent.) Plus, one or two year kids don't care that he'll likely move on to enormous NBA paychecks because they don't have to look 4 years down the line. I hope he does take the NBA payday, because he'll be exposed when he doesn't get to field an all-star team every game.

Xville
07-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I put this in the Fultz thread, but I think it belongs here too - because, well, I'm tired of Calipari.

I think UK gets too much credit here. These kids are generally seen as one and done kids, and they turn out to be one and done kids. What's the magic in that? Take a 3 or 4 star kid and develop him into an NBA player and I'm more impressed. Don't get me wrong, I know they had a half dozen kids picked high last year, but that's not because Calipari made them great players. They were great payers before they ever stepped onto campus. His talent is he charms them into attending UK and then he gets credit for the inevitable. (Though it's easy to argue he under-achieves with that much talent.) Plus, one or two year kids don't care that he'll likely move on to enormous NBA paychecks because they don't have to look 4 years down the line. I hope he does take the NBA payday, because he'll be exposed when he doesn't get to field an all-star team every game.

Yes, yes, yes. Public Reps---exactly what I believe when it comes to slimy Cal and slimy UK. I think that its actually kind of pathetic how he couldn't win with John Wall and Demarcus Cousins along with the fact he couldn't win it this year. I know I know "in a one game elimination tournament anything can happen" but I don't believe that filth for a second. It is just Cal's excuse as to why he isn't that great of a coach.....a great used car salesman though.

GoMuskies
07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
I assume DSR was a 4 star and not a 5?

kyxu
07-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Thomas did play and was solid at Marshall, but has since transferred to Texas Southern. Very talented, but has had a lot of issues, kind of like Michael Chandler.

Other than Lavendar, the only 5-star player to play at Xavier was Semaj, if you go by scout.com's rankings. Everywhere else, he was a 4-star.

kyxu
07-10-2015, 10:13 AM
I assume DSR was a 4 star and not a 5?

At one point (when he was committed to Xavier), he was a 5-star, but finished as a 4. Right around Semaj in a lot of rankings.

NY44
07-10-2015, 10:14 AM

I think UK gets too much credit here. These kids are generally seen as one and done kids, and they turn out to be one and done kids. What's the magic in that? Take a 3 or 4 star kid and develop him into an NBA player and I'm more impressed. Don't get me wrong, I know they had a half dozen kids picked high last year, but that's not because Calipari made them great players. They were great players before they ever stepped onto campus. His talent is he charms them into attending UK and then he gets credit for the inevitable. (Though it's easy to argue he under-achieves with that much talent.) Plus, one or two year kids don't care that he'll likely move on to enormous NBA paychecks because they don't have to look 4 years down the line. I hope he does take the NBA payday, because he'll be exposed when he doesn't get to field an all-star team every game.

I disagree a little bit with you here. I agree that Cal doesn't deserve credit for shaping or getting these players ready for the NBA. What he does offer though is a chance for them to play with other NBA level talent and against some of the best teams in the country. If nothing else, that makes the transition easier. Towns is a pretty good example. I don't think you could find 1 person who had him going #1 before the season started.

Masterofreality
07-10-2015, 10:38 AM

. I hope he does take the NBA payday, because he'll be exposed when he doesn't get to field an all-star team every game.

He was already exposed in the NBA- after he left his UMess at UMass:

Team Year G W L W–L% Finish PG PW PL PW–L% Result
NJ 1996–97 82 26 56 .317 5th in Atlantic — — — — Missed Playoffs
NJ 1997–98 82 43 39 .524 3rd in Atlantic 3 0 3 .000 Lost in First Round
NJ 1998–99 20 3 17 .150 7th in Atlantic — — — — Fired
Career 184 72 112 .391 3 0 3 .000

XMuskieFTW
07-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Chris Thomas....whatever happened to that guy? Did he ever play a game in college? I don't think even he ended up being a five star...though maybe before he committed to Manhattan he was.

He led Texas Southern to the NCAA Tournament last year. He'll be a Senior there this coming year. Surprised he finally got it together to be a productive player, but good for him.

BandAid
07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
So now we're competing with UK for recruits. That's pretty cool...

Come to X Kobi! And Markelle!

They'll crucify you at Kentucky if you don't perform. We're a lot more civil here, only one scapegoat per year.

xu82
07-10-2015, 11:10 AM
I disagree a little bit with you here. I agree that Cal doesn't deserve credit for shaping or getting these players ready for the NBA. What he does offer though is a chance for them to play with other NBA level talent and against some of the best teams in the country. If nothing else, that makes the transition easier. Towns is a pretty good example. I don't think you could find 1 person who had him going #1 before the season started.

I'd like to argue about playing against great players in practice, but I've already been called an idiot once today. As for playing against some of the best teams in the country, UK ranked 45th in strength of schedule. Hardly impressive for such a "basketball powerhouse". At the same time, little old XU ranked 10th. And our talent isn't exactly shabby. I know you weren't comparing programs or denegrating X, but Calipari is just too slick and gets too much credit for baketball when he's really just a snake oil salesman. One of us might get that talent to an elite 8. Sell them then manage egos, that's what he's good at. Make them better? Live up to their potential as a team? Not so much.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/year/2015/sort/sos

GoMuskies
07-10-2015, 11:15 AM
only one scapegoat per year.

Good point. Thinking that Jimmy Farr will win the 2016 Dante Jackson Distinguished Xavierhoops Scapegoat Award.

paulxu
07-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I thought you had to play center or coach to be eligible for that award?

NY44
07-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I'd like to argue about playing against great players in practice, but I've already been called an idiot once today. As for playing against some of the best teams in the country, UK ranked 45th in strength of schedule. Hardly impressive for such a "basketball powerhouse". At the same time, little old XU ranked 10th. And our talent isn't exactly shabby. I know you weren't comparing programs or denegrating X, but Calipari is just too slick and gets too much credit for baketball when he's really just a snake oil salesman. One of us might get that talent to an elite 8. Sell them then manage egos, that's what he's good at. Make them better? Live up to their potential as a team? Not so much.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/year/2015/sort/sos

Completely agree with you on all points, except having teammate talent. I think any one-and-done becomes the focus of a team's strategy at other schools. Very arguable case that it's good to be the focus and get maximum reps, but I think there's another to be made for learning to play alongside other NBA level players.

GoMuskies
07-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I thought you had to play center or coach to be eligible for that award?

Dee Davis won the 2015 award.

XU 87
07-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Thomas did play and was solid at Marshall, but has since transferred to Texas Southern. Very talented, but has had a lot of issues, kind of like Michael Chandler.

Other than Lavendar, the only 5-star player to play at Xavier was Semaj, if you go by scout.com's rankings. Everywhere else, he was a 4-star.

I think Scout, at the end, had Semaj rated higher than DSR.

kyxu
07-10-2015, 12:34 PM
I think Scout, at the end, had Semaj rated higher than DSR.

I think you are correct.

paulxu
07-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Dee Davis won the 2015 award.

Good point.

BandAid
07-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Good point. Thinking that Jimmy Farr will win the 2016 Dante Jackson Distinguished Xavierhoops Scapegoat Award.

It's really hard to guess who'll win the player award. (Mack always wins, poor guy.) Farr is a pretty good candidate. I can see Bluiett being a candidate too if he plays like he did down the stretch, but I wouldn't bet on it. Remy is a contender if he makes poor end of game decisions again.

Off the top of my head Dee, Kenny, Duncan, Dante, and Sophomore/Junior Burrell are recent recipients. Thing is, almost all of those guys left like badasses and all are beloved by the Muskie faithful. I didn't add Robinson to the list because I'm pretty sure he's a ghost.

Also as an aside, I can never remember it being a freshman. We acknowledge and comment on freshman struggles, but we give them a lot of room. Which bodes really well for one-and-dones.

GoMuskies
07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Off the top of my head Dee, Kenny, Duncan, Dante, and Sophomore/Junior Burrell are recent recipients.

2015 - Dee Davis
2014 - Justin Martin
2013 - Fr. Michael Graham/Luther Smith
2012 - Kenny Frease
2011 - Dante Jackson*
2010 - Dante Jackson*
2009 - C. J. Anderson

* - All-time leading vote-getter and only two-time recipient

xudash
07-10-2015, 02:02 PM
So now we're competing with UK for recruits. That's pretty cool...

Come to X Kobi! And Markelle!

They'll crucify you at Kentucky if you don't perform. We're a lot more civil here, only one scapegoat per year.

Damn solid salesmanship on your part. Well done. Keeping the glass half full for reasons to come to X over UK.

XU 87
07-10-2015, 02:06 PM
We're a lot more civil here, only one scapegoat per year.

True. I wish we could stay away from statements like "I can't wait for him to graduate" or "I'm sure he's a nice guy but he sucks" etc.

The same goes with "Mack looked totally clueless out there" etc.

xukeith
07-10-2015, 02:10 PM
2015 - Dee Davis
2014 - Justin Martin
2013 - Fr. Michael Graham/Luther Smith
2012 - Kenny Frease
2011 - Dante Jackson*
2010 - Dante Jackson*
2009 - C. J. Anderson

* - All-time leading vote-getter and only two-time recipient

Sure Redford didn't get one?

xu82
07-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Completely agree with you on all points, except having teammate talent. I think any one-and-done becomes the focus of a team's strategy at other schools. Very arguable case that it's good to be the focus and get maximum reps, but I think there's another to be made for learning to play alongside other NBA level players.

No, I think we fully agree on all points then. Practice and playing with the UK roster is a great benefit, I was just saying we're not chopped liver. Especially with the recent classes.

bobbiemcgee
07-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Down to six schools before X visit:

http://www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2015/7/12/8939713/2016-five-star-guard-kobi-simmons-cuts-list-to-six-sets-visit-with-xavier

Cheesehead
07-12-2015, 09:40 PM
So we are competing against Thad and Sean. How ironic. Kobi, don't you want to go the SCHOOL that is the cradle of college basketball coaches?

bobbiemcgee
07-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Should be down to five after he reads this;

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13012146/ncaa-charges-north-carolina-tar-heels-five-serious-violations

xu82
07-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Should be down to five after he reads this;

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/13012146/ncaa-charges-north-carolina-tar-heels-five-serious-violations

Catch UK next and we're in business. It's probably harder there, as their kids don't stay long enough to get into academic trouble. Or maybe even find a classroom.

Juice
07-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Catch UK next and we're in business. It's probably harder there, as their kids don't stay long enough to get into academic trouble. Or maybe even find a classroom.

Their APR score was higher than X's in 2013-2014: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

xu82
07-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Their APR score was higher than X's in 2013-2014: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp

That link just led to a search I had no interest in navigating. Don't try to ruin my fun! But seriously, which school do you trust to educate their student athletes? I love our track record.

Juice
07-12-2015, 11:30 PM
That link just led to a search I had no interest in navigating. Don't try to ruin my fun! But seriously, which school do you trust to educate their student athletes? I love our track record.

Over 4 years? Xavier. Keeping the kid eligible and also enabling him to turn pro after 1 year? UK.

The point of my post was also that I don't think UK is as evil as everyone makes them about to be. Their basketball program doesn't pretend to be something they're not. They acknowledge that the kids will go pro after a year or two and that it's their job to get them there. I honestly respect it.

xu82
07-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Over 4 years? Xavier. Keeping the kid eligible and also enabling him to turn pro after 1 year? UK.

The point of my post was also that I don't think UK is as evil as everyone makes them about to be. Their basketball program doesn't pretend to be something they're not. They acknowledge that the kids will go pro after a year or two and that it's their job to get them there. I honestly respect it.

Well then, you are an evil human being. (Just kidding, of course. I get your point.)

XUFan09
07-13-2015, 12:13 AM

Yup. It's not really that different from what the staff did with Semaj. They knew from the beginning that he was probably going to only be around for two years or so. They made sure to keep him eligible in the classroom and helped to get him there on the court. If the staff got Kobi Simmons, I don't doubt that they would do the same thing.

birdman71
07-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Absolutely '87!
True. I wish we could stay away from statements like "I can't wait for him to graduate" or "I'm sure he's a nice guy but he sucks" etc.

The same goes with "Mack looked totally clueless out there" etc.

casualfan
07-13-2015, 07:51 AM

One of the most underreported things about UK under Calipari is that most of his one and dones have stayed in school for the entirety of their freshman year.

At a lot of places, once a kid declares for the draft he'll drop all of his classes because at that point what do they matter to him? The problem with that is it hurts your team's APR. Not enough to be a problem if you only have one or two guys leaving early, but if you have 5 or 6 every year it could be a problem.

Somehow Cal has convinced a lot of those guys to remain in the classes and attending even after they have declared.

bigdiggins
07-13-2015, 08:47 AM
One of the most underreported things about UK under Calipari is that most of his one and dones have stayed in school for the entirety of their freshman year.

At a lot of places, once a kid declares for the draft he'll drop all of his classes because at that point what do they matter to him? The problem with that is it hurts your team's APR. Not enough to be a problem if you only have one or two guys leaving early, but if you have 5 or 6 every year it could be a problem.

Somehow Cal has convinced a lot of those guys professors to grade as if the player has remained in the classes and attended even after they have declared.

Fixed that for you.

TUclutch
07-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Fixed that for you.

I would have done that too as a joke, but it's not true. My best friend had classes with many of the guys. For example, John Wall never missed a class after declaring.

blueblob06
07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
I would think there has to be some kind of pride factor. If you're a one-and-done and UK/Calipari helped you become a millionaire in one year, you want to finish out your year and not sully UK's "good name" but leaving a negatively affecting their academic scores. You don't want your school to be ineligible for NCAA's, etc., after you leave there. Maybe I'm thinking too optimistically...

Juice
07-13-2015, 10:05 AM
I would think there has to be some kind of pride factor. If you're a one-and-done and UK/Calipari helped you become a millionaire in one year, you want to finish out your year and not sully UK's "good name" but leaving a negatively affecting their academic scores. You don't want your school to be ineligible for NCAA's, etc., after you leave there. Maybe I'm thinking too optimistically...

I think you're right on this.

XUFan09
07-13-2015, 10:12 AM
I think you're right on this.
And I bet it's a pride that Calipari was able to cultivate in the short time the player was there. No doubt it's also an expectation he establishes when he's recruiting too.

casualfan
07-13-2015, 11:38 AM
I would have done that too as a joke, but it's not true. My best friend had classes with many of the guys. For example, John Wall never missed a class after declaring.

Yep. It's a lazy, tired joke that you could make about any D1 school in the country.

I'm not sure a fan of the school that found a way to graduate CJ Anderson should be throwing stones at anyone's academic setup for athletes.

And that's not to say anything bad about us. This happens everywhere. But you shouldn't get to vilify one program while conveniently glossing over the fact it happens everywhere, here included.

casualfan
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM

Wouldn't that same principle play out everywhere though?

I mean, in theory you are right. These kids should want to pay back so to speak the school and coach who helped them get to the NBA.

But most places it doesn't happen. At UK it does. Cal deserves credit for that IMHO.

blueblob06
07-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Wouldn't that same principle play out everywhere though?

I mean, in theory you are right. These kids should want to pay back so to speak the school and coach who helped them get to the NBA.

But most places it doesn't happen. At UK it does. Cal deserves credit for that IMHO.

Agreed. I think a one-and-done like Lance Stephenson (just making someone up and I have no idea if he finished classes or not) may not necessarily be super loyal and grateful to his college if he's the only one going through this at his school and it's fairly rare at his school. It may be more of an "I" did this, not "we". So I'm thinking that attitude is more likely with individuals at random schools than say UK who is a one-and-one factory. If UK Hoops was a business (oh, I guess it is one), their core competency would be getting one-and-dones to NBA. I think it's part of the deal almost for the players...I can picture Cal saying, "You give me a great year of basketball and a year of learning in the classroom and I'll guide us to the NCAA Tourney and get you into The League". Just my thoughts.

Juice
07-14-2015, 10:58 PM
Pat Lawless
‏@GiveNGobball
Dennis Smith, a class of 2016 PG playing for Team Loaded (NC), announced that he has picked up an offer from Kentucky.

xu82
07-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Pat Lawless
‏@GiveNGobball
Dennis Smith, a class of 2016 PG playing for Team Loaded (NC), announced that he has picked up an offer from Kentucky.

Not a bad fall back option...

XfansinKy
07-15-2015, 09:30 PM
UK has too many guards already. I am thinking we may have a legit shot at this kid. This is also an example of why Mack HAS to get one of his recruits out of high school to the NBA. The kids wanna know their coach can and has done it. I believe Jalen is gonna be Mack's first.

blueblob06
07-16-2015, 07:52 AM
UK has too many guards already.
Do they have too many PGs though? They have Ullis. I have no idea but I just assume that he's going to NBA after this year because everyone at UK who doesn't after 1 year does after 2 years. I could be 100% wrong about that so anyone who knows, please jump in and correct me. Then they have a Freshmen PG coming in this year (Jamal Murray). So there will be either 1 or 2 PGs in the program when Simmons would arrive. Or there would be in theory, zero PGs, if both go to NBA after this season.

Of note....Dennis Smith is rated HIGHER (4th overall) than Simmons (8th overall) on Rivals. So maybe we should be rooting for UK to sign Smith and there be too many talented PGs at UK, thus Simmons goes to X...

Juice
07-16-2015, 08:07 AM
Do they have too many PGs though? They have Ullis. I have no idea but I just assume that he's going to NBA after this year because everyone at UK who doesn't after 1 year does after 2 years. I could be 100% wrong about that so anyone who knows, please jump in and correct me. Then they have a Freshmen PG coming in this year (Jamal Murray). So there will be either 1 or 2 PGs in the program when Simmons would arrive. Or there would be in theory, zero PGs, if both go to NBA after this season.

Of note....Dennis Smith is rated HIGHER (4th overall) than Simmons (8th overall) on Rivals. So maybe we should be rooting for UK to sign Smith and there be too many talented PGs at UK, thus Simmons goes to X...

They are adding Isaiah Briscoe this coming season who is projected as a first round draft pick by draftexpress.com. They also add Jamaal Murray, another PG, that might be even more highly ranked than Briscoe. He reclassified from the 2016 class. Draft Express has him as the #16 pick in next years draft while Briscoe is listed at #19. So it depends if those two end up going pro after their one year but it appears that they will be.

Everyone also needs to remember that Ohio State is firmly in the mix. And they proved last year that they can send guards to the NBA after one year.

drudy23
07-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Everyone also needs to remember that Ohio State is firmly in the mix. And they proved last year that they can send guards to the NBA after one year.

Pretty sure the credit starts with the player. Let's not make believe OSU turned him into what he was...he was that already.

xu82
07-16-2015, 08:41 AM

Yes, THEosu did have a supremely talented guard who went high in the draft. Had he attended some other school, I think the same thing would have happened. I don't see this as giving a leg up to any school or coach. It's a testament much more to the talent of the player. It was said earlier that Calipari didn't hurt a kids chance of being drafted early. Oh boy! I think a school like Xavier can manage to find their way over that bar. It's more about the talent of the kid than it is anything else. There are a number of factors, but talent is by far the most important.

XU 87
07-16-2015, 08:47 AM
Pretty sure the credit starts with the player. Let's not make believe OSU turned him into what he was...he was that already.

true, except that they can still look at the kid and say, "Look what can happen if you come to OSU."

Juice
07-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Russell was ranked anywhere from 13-18 in the different sites. Yes he was a five star but he was by no means a no doubt one and done player.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 11:00 AM
true, except that they can still look at the kid and say, "Look what can happen if you come to OSU."
Exactly. Something that hasn't been proven at Xavier, like it or not. These kids have a good idea of their draft stock entering college, but these results basically say to them, "We'll make sure you maintain or improve upon that projection." Perception is everything.

What Xavier has done under Mack is get one guy drafted in the late first round, one guy drafted in the late second, and four guys invited to Summer League. Now I'm confident that if Simmons came here, he'd get drafted high, but there's no precedent for that result under Mack.

waggy
07-16-2015, 11:13 AM
A kid's development after he gets to a school is only partly some unknown percentage of his environment. Giving wholesale credit to certain schools is dumb.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 11:21 AM
A kid's development after he gets to a school is only partly some unknown percentage of his environment. Giving wholesale credit to certain schools is dumb.
Who is giving them wholesale credit?

waggy
07-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Who is giving them wholesale credit?

Well if some schools are effectively locked out the recruitment because "they've never done it" - a chicken or egg scenario - I'd call that wholesale.

DC Muskie
07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I'd like to point out that Weber State has made one NCAA appearance since producing the 6th pick of the 2012 draft.

waggy
07-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Personally I'm not a big fan of the 1 and done concept. I hate that players have to leave after 4 years.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Well if some schools are effectively locked out the recruitment because "they've never done it" - a chicken or egg scenario - I'd call that wholesale.
No one is saying that either.

waggy
07-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Reads like it to me.

xu82
07-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Well then, for the sake of someone saying something, I will say I think the schools/coaches tend to get too much credit while the players God given ability and hard work are a bit overlooked. Granted, playing against great players in practice and being properly motivated are an advantage at some schools, but it's far outweighed by what the player brings to the table. Great players will be drafted high regardless of where they may be playing.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Reads like it to me.

You reading it that way doesn't mean people are actually saying it. It's about how perception puts up barriers that make it a lot harder to get one of these guys. The perception isn't logically/scientifically justified, but it's still there. Xavier could win one of these recruiting battles the conventional way, but getting a one-and-done (maybe two-and-done) through the multitude of personal connections he has to Xavier/Cincinnati would be a great way to break those barriers. Easier too.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Well then, for the sake of someone saying something, I will say I think the schools/coaches tend to get too much credit while the players God given ability and hard work are a bit overlooked. Granted, playing against great players in practice and being properly motivated are an advantage at some schools, but it's far outweighed by what the player brings to the table. Great players will be drafted high regardless of where they may be playing.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with that. This is a case of perception vs. reality, where perception rules the day. Reality can wiggle its way in there at times, but it always is secondary in recruiting.

waggy
07-16-2015, 12:14 PM
What a stupid discussion. So how do you change perception? By changing reality?

waggy
07-16-2015, 12:18 PM
And the [Perceived] hand-wringing over getting a one and done, and then the structural changes that might have to happen within the program to achieve the one and done, really really makes me wonder if it's worth it...

Juice
07-16-2015, 12:19 PM
I don't think anyone here disagrees with that. This is a case of perception vs. reality, where perception rules the day. Reality can wiggle its way in there at times, but it always is secondary in recruiting.

People on here denying that recruits pay attention to a program's success at getting players to the NBA is bat shit insane. It's also crazy to deny that schools use it as a selling point either.

Juice
07-16-2015, 12:20 PM
And the [Perceived] hand-wringing over getting a one and done, and then the structural changes that might have to happen within the program to achieve the one and done, really really makes me wonder if it's worth it...

Yeah I hate having talented kids play for the program I support.

waggy
07-16-2015, 12:21 PM
People on here denying that recruits pay attention to a program's success at getting players to the NBA is bat shit insane. It's also crazy to deny that schools use it as a selling point either.

If a kid fails at Kentucky it's the kids fault. If he were to fail at X, it'd be X's fault.

waggy
07-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah I hate having talented kids play for the program I support.

I see the program as bigger than any one kid.

xu82
07-16-2015, 12:29 PM

I won't speak for others, but I'm certain the schools sell this and the kids pay attention. My main point is the young men should have confidence in themselves and their ability, as they make the school, not the other way around. They don't have to attend the biggest "name" school that offers, they should go to the best fit overall.

This is interesting because I don't think we've seen a collection of talent like UK since UCLA was in their heyday. The difference is that today the talent will be identified and drafted high with little regard for where they were playing before the draft.

Juice
07-16-2015, 12:43 PM

X is hosting him for one official visit, they're not sacrificing Mack's newborn son to the sun gods. Simmons' recruitment has been pretty normal for all parties involved and nothing about the kid indicates that he'd bring down the program.

waggy
07-16-2015, 12:49 PM
X is hosting him for one official visit, they're not sacrificing Mack's newborn son to the sun gods. Simmons' recruitment has been pretty normal for all parties involved and nothing about the kid indicates that he'd bring down the program.

OK. Does he expect to be one and done, and is that realistic?

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 12:57 PM

What structural changes are you talking about? This kid has a multitude of connections to Xavier and to the city of Cincinnati. That's a big reason as to why Xavier is in this recruitment right now. It's like when an assistant coach happens to be good friends with the family of a recruit, or hell, when Greg McDermott happens to be the father of Dougie. Nothing structural, just a relationship that benefits recruiting. The barriers I referred to are all barriers formed by perception, not any logistical barriers. If you didn't notice, Xavier just had a two-and-done player a season ago. Nothing had to change in the structure of the program because of him.

It's funny that you complain about the perception vs. reality comparison. For starters, I didn't think it needed mentioning before, but perception generally relies on reality but ends up skewing it. So, if you are complaining about this, are you new to the world of recruiting? Are you aware that for the most part perception has helped Xavier on the recruiting trail? For example, every time broadcasters or analysts mention the number of Sweet 16 appearances in such and such number of years, they inevitably include part of the Miller era. Mack might have been an assistant then and the administrative support is similar, but what happened under Miller does not have a strong influence on what is happening under Mack. Still, Mack can indirectly benefit from the exposure in recruiting, because five Sweet 16s in the last eight years sounds better than three Sweet 16s in the last six years. What the program has done in the past 30 years is also something that Mack benefits from in recruiting, even though he was neither a player nor a staff member of any level for a majority of that time period.

Juice
07-16-2015, 01:00 PM
OK. Does he expect to be one and done, and is that realistic?

I believe so and yes.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Who said otherwise? We are in a thread titled, "#1 PG in 2016 Class to Make Official Visit." Obviously, the conversation is going to be primarily about him and secondarily about how recruiting a blue-chipper can be tough. It's not like the thought of getting Kobi Simmons has taken over all the other active threads on XHoops. "Tweets You Gotta Love 3" is probably the only other thread where there's actual talk about his recruitment.

waggy
07-16-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't recall Semaj ever being mentioned as one and done, at least realistically, so I don't know what he has to do with the conversation.

waggy
07-16-2015, 01:15 PM
I believe so and yes.

Personally, Meh.

paulxu
07-16-2015, 01:17 PM
I wonder if we've ever had an official visit scheduled by a top 10 recruit who we hadn't even offered.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 01:19 PM
I don't recall Semaj ever being mentioned as one and done, at least realistically, so I don't know what he has to do with the conversation.

I don't think it was that public, but there was a clear understanding between the coaching staff and him that he was planning to be a two-and-done. One more year of playing time but essentially the same result: Leaving college for professional basketball before finishing his degree.

xu82
07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I wonder if we've ever had an official visit scheduled by a top 10 recruit who we hadn't even offered.

Maybe playing hard to get is the way to go?

waggy
07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't think it was that public, but there was a clear understanding between the coaching staff and him that he was planning to be a two-and-done. One more year of playing time but essentially the same result: Leaving college for professional basketball before finishing his degree.

That's different than a guy expecting guaranteed first round money.

xu82
07-16-2015, 01:25 PM

I'm too lazy to look up where Semaj was ranked as a recruit, but it was nowhere near #6 overall. This is a whole new league, I believe. Sign me up!

Juice
07-16-2015, 01:34 PM
I'm too lazy to look up where Semaj was ranked as a recruit, but it was nowhere near #6 overall. This is a whole new league, I believe. Sign me up!

It was in the 20s I believe and his class wasn't as good as 2016 is/will be.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 01:41 PM
I think it's safe to assume going into college that Semaj expected guaranteed first round money. It would only take him two years to get there instead of one. Simmons just has a better chance of being correct than Semaj did in 2012.

And 82, Semaj was borderline top 25, right on the cusp of 5-star/4-star. It depended on the service where he fell.

mistabeecee41
07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't feel like reading through these, but I'm not sure what the beef with UK. Yes, Cal is a sleazeball. If I'm a 17 year old kid whose dream is to play in the NBA and I planned on making a career out of it, I'm going to UK.

waggy
07-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Semaj was so high profile I'd never even heard of him until after he committed. A guy from Cincy no less.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Semaj was so high profile I'd never even heard of him until after he committed. A guy from Cincy no less.
Why do you think he was planning to be a two-and-done instead of a one-and-done? He was a late bloomer who didn't even start to get noticed nationally until he was just about to commit. If he had waited until the Late Signing Period and if he had been interested in leaving Cincinnati for the right school, it would have been one of the more hotly contested recruiting battles of the spring. The first condition probably wasn't happening and the second condition was extremely unlikely, so it came down to a Xavier vs. UC recruiting battle that summer before just about anyone else was aware of the elite prospect they were about to lose.

waggy
07-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Is planning to be a two and done common?

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Is planning to be a two and done common?
Not uncommon. Semaj was in a weird situation because he was such a late-bloomer (Who's the last NBA draft pick to not average double-digit scoring until his senior year of high school?). There are a solid number of really good recruits who aren't quite one-and-done material but who plan to leave early. Semaj stands out among that group because of how much potential he had in 2012. Usually, it seems the plans are a bit vaguer, such as Bluiett* hoping to be in college for only two or three years but not being that concrete about it. Semaj being so explicit in his plans might be a bit rarer, but once again, his situation was unusual (so in short, quite possibly yes, plans like that are uncommon).

*Bluiett's biggest issue freshman year after a great start was not fully understanding what he needed to do to maintain a slim, athletic build. The weight gain affected everything from his lateral quickness to his shooting form. He has a much better grasp of what he needs to do now and has slimmed down considerably, so it will be interesting to see what he can do for a full season with a slim, more athletic build. Not that he'll ever leap out of the gym, but he can hide physical deficiencies better and maybe be The Man that ends up leaving before his senior year.

waggy
07-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Two and done is a new one on me. And still not seeing WTF it's got to do with a one and done. Except that it might be even more uncommon...

ammtd34
07-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Semaj was indeed #6 at one point on Scout but finished #24 overall, the #2 PG.

waggy
07-16-2015, 02:55 PM
But just "two and done". :dunno:

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 03:11 PM
Two and done is a new one on me. And still not seeing WTF it's got to do with a one and done. Except that it might be even more uncommon...
They share a common end of not staying long, the coaches know going in, and in both the case of one-and-done and Semaj's version of two-and-done, the plan is explicit. Semaj's plan was much more like that of one-and-dones than that of guys like Bluiett. Like I said, he's a weird version of a two-and-done. And it goes back to your concern for structural changes: If there were any supposed "structural changes" in the program, they already happened when the staff brought in a guy who wasn't just hoping to leave early but who had no intention of staying long in college. "No intention" is what distinguishes him from a guy like Bluiett and from the program perspective makes him much more like a rent-a-player (to use the pejorative term some idealists pick up). In the eyes of some, the staff agreeing to take a guy they KNEW was never going to "stay for his education" would be the moment when the program "sold its soul," regardless if it's a one-and-done or two-and-done. A guy like Bluiett unexpectedly leaving after two years would not qualify simply because it was unexpected.

waggy
07-16-2015, 03:35 PM
I swear, recruiting brings out the kooks.

A weird version of a two and done? Yes, a two and done 2nd rounder is weird.

xu82
07-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Semaj was indeed #6 at one point on Scout but finished #24 overall, the #2 PG.

Really? Didn't he have a somewhat suspect left hand? That surprises me.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 03:46 PM
I swear, recruiting brings out the kooks.

A weird version of a two and done? Yes, a two and done 2nd rounder is weird.
Weird because he was explicit in only being two years, when most two-and-dones aren't. Do you only half-read everything so you can intentionally come up with some jackass response or is it unintentional? You're the one that was coming up with B.S. about nonexistent structural changes.

waggy
07-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Weird because he was explicit in only being two years, when most two-and-dones aren't. Do you only half-read everything so you can intentionally come up with some jackass response or is it unintentional? You're the one that was coming up with B.S. about nonexistent structural changes.

Just because you have a bad case of diarrhea of the keyboard doesn't mean I want (or need) to read it.

xu82
07-16-2015, 03:54 PM
Hey, who misses basketball???

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Just because you have a bad case of diarrhea of the keyboard doesn't mean I want (or need) to read it.
Lol whatever, man. If you're not going to read, then don't respond either.

waggy
07-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Lol whatever, man. If you're not going to read, then don't respond either.

I responded to the pertinent parts. Ie, two and done is something made up on the fly that in reality doesn't even exist. Which is par for the course in the recruiting world.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 04:12 PM
I responded to the pertinent parts. Ie, two and done is something made up on the fly that in reality doesn't even exist. Which is par for the course in the recruiting world.
That's cute.

waggy
07-16-2015, 04:15 PM
That's cute.

All credit goes to you. Semaj coulda been a one and done. If he was good enough. He coulda been a 3 and done, or a 4 and done.

It's all bullshit.

What I'm interested in is whether the recruits expectations are consistent with reality.

xu82
07-16-2015, 05:01 PM
I was 4.5 and done. That did not meet my expectations. Nor my parents.

But I didn't play PG, so maybe it's OK.

Juice
07-16-2015, 07:52 PM
All credit goes to you. Semaj coulda been a one and done. If he was good enough. He coulda been a 3 and done, or a 4 and done.

It's all bullshit.

What I'm interested in is whether the recruits expectations are consistent with reality.

And we told you that Kobi Simmons' expectation as of now are consistent with reality (1 and done) and XUFan09 told you that Semaj's expectations were consistent with reality. And because that reality was 2 years and done, you dismissed because you thought it was some outlandish concept that a kid would want to stay in college 2 years and turn pro.

Mack: "Semaj, what are your plans and expectations for your time at XU?"
Semaj: "I would like to turn pro after two years."
Mack: "No dude, that's some crazy recruiting world shit. You can't do that."

Xavier
07-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Yeah, pretty clear to me. Waggy- you really don't get that logic?

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 08:25 PM
I was 4.5 and done. That did not meet my expectations. Nor my parents.

But I didn't play PG, so maybe it's OK.

Haha! You, sir, truly stayed for an education.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 08:36 PM
And we told you that Kobi Simmons' expectation as of now are consistent with reality (1 and done) and XUFan09 told you that Semaj's expectations were consistent with reality. And because that reality was 2 years and done, you dismissed because you thought it was some outlandish concept that a kid would want to stay in college 2 years and turn pro.

Mack: "Semaj, what are your plans and expectations for your time at XU?"
Semaj: "I would like to turn pro after two years."
Mack: "No dude, that's some crazy recruiting world shit. You can't do that."

And that Semaj comparison was only response to the "structural changes" comment. Clearly, the staff has no problem taking a guy who doesn't want to stay long enough to get a degree or to even be an upperclass leader, and such a recruitment/commitment doesn't require changing the structure of the program.

What would change the structure of the program is if Xavier started focusing on being a one-and-done factory. Of course, that would probably leave Mack out of a job fairly quickly, not because of the intent itself but because Xavier would very quickly not have any players lol. If they can bring Kobi into the fold with all the players they'd have around him, though? That'd be pretty awesome. Defense is usually harder to predict, but in his one year, I think we could pretty much guarantee a top 20 offense and a ranked team.

xu82
07-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Haha! You, sir, truly stayed for an education.

... and stayed... and stayed...

(I changed majors rather than take the last few classes from Dr Peggy Crail for my finance degree. If you had her, you probably understand.)

Juice
07-16-2015, 09:03 PM
And that Semaj comparison was only response to the "structural changes" comment. Clearly, the staff has no problem taking a guy who doesn't want to stay long enough to get a degree or to even be an upperclass leader, and such a recruitment/commitment doesn't require changing the structure of the program.

What would change the structure of the program is if Xavier started focusing on being a one-and-done factory. Of course, that would probably leave Mack out of a job fairly quickly, not because of the intent itself but because Xavier would very quickly not have any players lol. If they can bring Kobi into the fold with all the players they'd have around him, though? That'd be pretty awesome. Defense is usually harder to predict, but in his one year, I think we could pretty much guarantee a top 20 offense and a ranked team.

Yeah it' obvious that Kobi is very, very much an outlier when it comes to XU's normal recruiting practices. Going after him and either getting him for a year or not getting him is not going to kill them.

XUFan09
07-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah it' obvious that Kobi is very, very much an outlier when it comes to XU's normal recruiting practices. Going after him and either getting him for a year or not getting him is not going to kill them.
Yup. It's not even changing their recruiting at the point guard position. The staff looks like they would have no problem taking both him and Simpson/Goodin, and I bet they can make it work between two point guards, especially with Kobi's easy ability to play off the ball at the 2 or 3.

One thing I don't know about: Does he project as a combo guard at the NBA level? At 6'5", with the ability to pass the ball or score himself, he looks like he could play either guard position. Your average point guard is 6'2"/6'3" and your average shooting guard is 6'7"/6'8", so he's the right size. It's not like when Lyons was trying to make the jump at 6'1".

Juice
07-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 2m2 minutes ago
Top-five prospect Dennis Smith Jr. cuts list to six, per @PaulBiancardi: http://es.pn/1J4G9Hy

UK, UNC, Louisville, Duke, Wake, NC State.

muskiefan82
07-17-2015, 09:21 AM
How can Dennis Smith be the #1 PG in the 2016 class and Kobi Simmons also be the #1 PG in the 2016 class?

Juice
07-17-2015, 09:33 AM
How can Dennis Smith be the #1 PG in the 2016 class and Kobi Simmons also be the #1 PG in the 2016 class?

Because this thread is not titled correctly. ESPN, Scout, and Rivals all have Dennis Smith ranked ahead of Kobi Simmons. That being said, they're both top 5/10 ranked players so the difference isn't much.

paulxu
07-17-2015, 04:17 PM
I think both Mack and Cal were in New York watching Kobi Simmons.

BandAid
07-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Any chance UK and X are in a 2 horse race?

XUFan09
07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Any chance UK and X are in a 2 horse race?
Watch out for OSU.

xu82
07-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Yup. It's not even changing their recruiting at the point guard position. The staff looks like they would have no problem taking both him and Simpson/Goodin, and I bet they can make it work between two point guards, especially with Kobi's easy ability to play off the ball at the 2 or 3.

One thing I don't know about: Does he project as a combo guard at the NBA level? At 6'5", with the ability to pass the ball or score himself, he looks like he could play either guard position. Your average point guard is 6'2"/6'3" and your average shooting guard is 6'7"/6'8", so he's the right size. It's not like when Lyons was trying to make the jump at 6'1".

And he just turned 18 (on the 4th of July!) so I wonder how tall he really is and if he's done growing. Either way, this guy can play! While XU is obviously my first choice, THEosu is my last (for my own personal reasons). Why play second fiddle at a football school?

XUFan09
07-17-2015, 06:07 PM
And he just turned 18 (on the 4th of July!) so I wonder how tall he really is and if he's done growing. Either way, this guy can play! While XU is obviously my first choice, THEosu is my last (for my own personal reasons). Why play second fiddle at a football school?
Free tattoos and haircuts.

xavbball
07-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I would be shocked to see this kid come to Xavier. One look at his Twitter page and you see all the Kentucky love. John Wall even sending him shoes!

Juice
07-24-2015, 01:37 PM
I would be shocked to see this kid come to Xavier. One look at his Twitter page and you see all the Kentucky love. John Wall even sending him shoes!

Well that would be a recruiting violation by Wall and UK. His AAU team is an Adidas team, Wall has an endorsement deal with Adidas, so Adidas simply sent some John Wall shoes to Kobi and his team.

But yes overall I would still say that he's going to UK, but it's not because Wall is or isn't sending him shoes. Also, UK is a Nike school as is OSU and obviously XU. The endorsement deals are obviously not affecting his decision.

xukeith
07-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Well that would be a recruiting violation by Wall and UK. His AAU team is an Adidas team, Wall has an endorsement deal with Adidas, so Adidas simply sent some John Wall shoes to Kobi and his team.

But yes overall I would still say that he's going to UK, but it's not because Wall is or isn't sending him shoes. Also, UK is a Nike school as is OSU and obviously XU. The endorsement deals are obviously not affecting his decision.

Probably dead on. X has a .09% chance.
"So your saying there's a chance!"

Lamont Sanford
07-27-2015, 07:21 AM

His final 6 are ALL Nike sponsored schools/programs. Looks like his college decision will not come down to an Adidas-sponsored school. Sorry IU, Kansas and UCLA.

Nocalmuskie
07-27-2015, 08:10 AM

The experts who follow this stuff give X a MUCH better shot than that. Stay tuned ...

MADXSTER
07-27-2015, 05:11 PM

I doubt that any school with a .09% chance would make anyone's final list. Just sayin.

casualfan
07-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Quentin GoOdin visiting this weekend.

Will be interesting to see what happens if he tries to commit.

XUFan09
07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

I don't think this is a mutually exclusive situation. With Simmons' ability to play off the ball, I'm betting the staff could do a good job selling the two playing together to whatever PG might commit.

kyxu
07-27-2015, 07:39 PM

Not that interesting. Xavier would accept it in a heartbeat.

Juice
07-27-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't think this is a mutually exclusive situation. With Simmons' ability to play off the ball, I'm betting the staff could do a good job selling the two playing together to whatever PG might commit.

Not to mention, is Goodin seen as a SG by many teams but with X being one of the few who wants him as a PG? Hypothetically, it would like having two combo guards in the game with Goodin and Simmons. I say/ask with only having seen clips of them.

casualfan
07-28-2015, 06:33 AM

I'm sure the staffwould try to sell these two on playing together. Whether Simmons buys is another story.

I don't know anything about Simmons personally but most of these kids want the ball in their hands.

Depending on who you believe, part of the reason Semaj left is because Mack wouldn't agree to play him at point.

xu82
07-28-2015, 08:10 AM
Well, if your overly concerned about having the ball in your hands and getting your chances and minutes, the last place you'd want to go is UK. I get that he might get to play exclusively PG... for 18 minutes a game. At X he could also get another 14 minutes off the ball. And be The Man, not just another guy.

GoMuskies
07-28-2015, 08:52 AM
And be The Man

Bluiett, Macura and a few others might not agree with this assessment.

xu82
07-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Bluiett, Macura and a few others might not agree with this assessment.

True, but an 18 year old 5 star recruit who's recruited by every major school and told he's a top 6 HS player in the country might see it differently. Bottom line: I'm thrilled with the work the staff has done and the guys who seem to be giving us serious consideration. I wish football would get started so it can be my bridge to get me to basketball season!

And by The Man, I mean as compared to UK, where you're really just another guy. A 5 star player gets us pretty excited, but is rather ho-hum at UK.

Juice
07-28-2015, 10:24 AM
True, but an 18 year old 5 star recruit who's recruited by every major school and told he's a top 6 HS player in the country might see it differently. Bottom line: I'm thrilled with the work the staff has done and the guys who seem to be giving us serious consideration. I wish football would get started so it can be my bridge to get me to basketball season!

And by The Man, I mean as compared to UK, where you're really just another guy. A 5 star player gets us pretty excited, but is rather ho-hum at UK.

Just another guy who will win the SEC, definitely make the tournament, have a good chance at playing in a Final 4 and have an awesome shot at being a first round draft pick, while also being surrounded by the top players in the country and access to top facilities in the country, and play in front of 20,000 plus people at homes games. Sounds horrible.

Every one of their 5 star players is more of a name at UK than they would ever be at XU. I don't know where everyone gets this idea that a 5 star recruit would be a role player at UK while he would become a superstar at XU.

casualfan
07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Well, if your overly concerned about having the ball in your hands and getting your chances and minutes, the last place you'd want to go is UK. I get that he might get to play exclusively PG... for 18 minutes a game. At X he could also get another 14 minutes off the ball. And be The Man, not just another guy.

One of the major advantages I figured we had in his recruitment is "hey, come here and run point for ~33 mins a game. You're not going to be able to do that at UK".

We take another high-level pg and that selling point goes out the window.

Now, maybe we ultimately don't need that selling point, but from where I'm sitting I think we'd want as many bullets in the gun as possible.

If Mack and co are comfortable enough to take Goodin and think it doesn't affect their chances with Simmons so-be-it.

And don't get me wrong. I think if Goodin wants to commit you take him, regardless of what effect it may or may not have on Simmons. A bird in the hand and all that.

XUFan09
07-28-2015, 11:00 AM
I'm sure the staffwould try to sell these two on playing together. Whether Simmons buys is another story.

I don't know anything about Simmons personally but most of these kids want the ball in their hands.

Depending on who you believe, part of the reason Semaj left is because Mack wouldn't agree to play him at point.

I never said Simmons would play exclusively off the ball. He'd still play a lot of point. The sell would be much more for Simpson/Goodin. Simmons is projected to go 6th in the 2017 Draft in one projection, so he's not really going to care what other point guards there are at Xavier. He believes (probably correctly) that he's getting all the time he wants at point. Playing off the ball some just allows him to show some of his playmaking and scoring ability.

The bit about Semaj is a load of B.S. that perpetuates because people try to rationalize his decision on their terms and their worldview and thus will repeat anything that matches up with that.

xu82
07-28-2015, 11:24 AM
You guys can try to rain on my parade, but I'll have none of that! It may be my delusion alone, but for now, I'm sticking with it!

Bottom line is I love all the interest from top recruits and I trust Mack & Co. to do what's best.

xudash
07-28-2015, 11:44 AM
You guys can try to rain on my parade, but I'll have none of that! It may be my delusion alone, but for now, I'm sticking with it!

Bottom line is I love all the interest from top recruits and I trust Mack & Co. to do what's best.

I'll attempt to amplify your post. I think it's great that Xavier has arrived at a place where we land in certain conversations involving some of the top recruits in the nation.

Furthermore, I believe Mack will nab one of these guys some day soon, and then another, and then another, and on from there it will go.

XUmuskies34
07-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Tweet earlier today between Kaiser Gates and Kobi Simmons.

https://twitter.com/JordanKobi/status/626081131897602048

kyxu
07-28-2015, 03:38 PM
BREAKING: Kaiser Gates to transfer to UK

Sorry, everyone

MADXSTER
07-28-2015, 04:18 PM
BREAKING: Kaiser Gates to transfer to UK

Sorry, everyone

Ya got me. Funny guy

GreatWhiteNorth
07-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Like UK is going to take him :laugh:

bobbiemcgee
07-29-2015, 04:28 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-07-28/kobi-simmons-unc-uga-ohio-state-xavier-kentucky-2016-point-guard-rankings

XU-PA
07-30-2015, 05:50 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-07-28/kobi-simmons-unc-uga-ohio-state-xavier-kentucky-2016-point-guard-rankings

This,,,
"The prevailing thought is that he will ultimately end up at Kentucky as Calipari's next great point guard."
Makes we want to puke

XUFan09
07-30-2015, 10:05 AM
This,,,
"The prevailing thought is that he will ultimately end up at Kentucky as Calipari's next great point guard."
Makes we want to puke

It would be more accurate if it said, "The prevailing thought WAS that he will end up at UK."

ballyhoohoo
07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
This,,,
Makes we want to puke

Recruiting news from a mainstream publication is to sell papers. They are either pandering to a big reader (can UK fans read?) base or just lazy and assume it's UK.

ArizonaXUGrad
07-30-2015, 01:11 PM
Don't forget UK has Ullis, Briscoe, Murray, and Matthews already in their back court. Odds are Murray and Ullis will go pro, but Ullis is an odd one because of his height. Briscoe looks good but not one and done good and Matthews is at least a two year guy. Simmons might not like the situation if all four stick around.

Recruiting news from a mainstream publication is to sell papers. They are either pandering to a big reader (can UK fans read?) base or just lazy and assume it's UK.

paulxu
08-03-2015, 03:20 PM
I realize (especially with the Goodin commit) that we have VERY little chance for Kobi Simmons.
But the publicity it generates to have an official visit is worth its weight in gold; and to be listed with his other top program offers that he has narrowed his search to include.

Just snippets like this make it fun to be a Muskie these days.

Xavier has been a bit of a dark horse in this recruitment, but the presence of his best friend Kaiser Gates on the team has the Musketeers right in the mix.
“I talk to Kaiser a lot,” explained Simmons. “Everybody knows he is like my brother, and I talk to the coaches a lot. I have a real good relationship there, so that is a program I am very interested in.”

bobbiemcgee
08-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Watch him on ESPN or one of their networks tonite @ 9ET - Adidas championship game.

bleedXblue
08-03-2015, 03:44 PM
I realize (especially with the Goodin commit) that we have VERY little chance for Kobi Simmons.
But the publicity it generates to have an official visit is worth its weight in gold; and to be listed with his other top program offers that he has narrowed his search to include.

A kid like Simmons has to have enough confidence that he would end up on the floor ahead of anyone else regardless of roster or circumstance. But yes very likely he chooses to go elsewhere.

muskiefan82
08-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Too bad he wouldn't be at UK for more than a year. Maybe he could convince Calipari to schedule X so he could play against Kaiser.

TUclutch
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Gooden's commitment doesnt lessen the chances of landing Simmons even a little bit. Just shows Gooden is ok with possibly sharing the PG for a year knowing Simmons would be 1 and done. Xavier's chances of getting him are as good today as they were 2 days ago.

Juice
08-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Gooden's commitment doesnt lessen the chances of landing Simmons even a little bit. Just shows Gooden is ok with possibly sharing the PG for a year knowing Simmons would be 1 and done. Xavier's chances of getting him are as good today as they were 2 days ago.

Exactly

casualfan
08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Rothstein just reported he scheduled a third visit to Ohio State on Sept. 18th.

xudash
08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Rothstein just reported he scheduled a third visit to Ohio State on Sept. 18th.

That's a Friday. Ohio State has northern Illinois coming to the horseshoe on the 19th. I wonder if he is sticking around for that.

casualfan
08-05-2015, 02:27 PM
That's a Friday. Ohio State has northern Illinois coming to the horseshoe on the 19th. I wonder if he is sticking around for that.

I would imagine so. Most official visits span multiple days.

XUFan09
08-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I think they get a 36-hour or 48-hour window.

casualfan
08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I think they get a 36-hour or 48-hour window.

It's technically 48, but a lot of them end up closer to a day and a half.

Most weekend visits I am familiar with the guy gets there Friday afternoon or early evening and stays through breakfast Sunday.

That can obviously vary from visit to visit.

XUFan09
08-05-2015, 03:22 PM
It's technically 48, but a lot of them end up closer to a day and a half.

Most weekend visits I am familiar with the guy gets there Friday afternoon or early evening and stays through breakfast Sunday.

That can obviously vary from visit to visit.
That's my general understanding too.

Edit: I think a Xavier recruit (Sean O'Mara?) set his up over a three-day weekend so that he arrived Friday and received compensation for the travel but not lodging so he wasn't officially on campus until Saturday morning. It allowed him to take advantage of the three-day weekend so he was still in the 48-hour period through Monday morning and took advantage of some open gym that Monday.

Ostensibly a recruit can visit for as long as he wants. The "official" part of the visit just means he gets compensated for travel costs, plus the lodging and food for two days. If he stays longer, there may or may not be limitations on staff contact but current players would have no such restrictions.

Please correct me where I am recollecting this incorrectly.

birdman71
08-06-2015, 12:14 PM

I hope so. Then he can ask himself if he wants to play basketball at a football school.

Juice
08-06-2015, 12:43 PM
I hope so. Then he can ask himself if he wants to play basketball at a football school.

Or at a basketball school that averages almost 5,000 less fans a game in attendance of said football school?

Xville
08-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Greg Oden and Co. didn't seem to mind....neither did D'Angelo Russell....I hate Ohio State as much as anyone, but that argument is pretty lame in my opinion.

Juice
08-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Greg Oden and Co. didn't seem to mind....neither did D'Angelo Russell....I hate Ohio State as much as anyone, but that argument is pretty lame in my opinion.

Lame and doesn't seem to be an issue for a lot of recruits

casualfan
08-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Lame and doesn't seem to be an issue for a lot of recruits

Having a football team, especially one as successful as the butt-guys, is a major recruiting tool.

Certainly not the most important thing, but being able to take a kid around when that much is going on around campus is a nice club to have in your bag.

XUFan09
08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Having a football team, especially one as successful as the butt-guys, is a major recruiting tool.

Certainly not the most important thing, but being able to take a kid around when that much is going on around campus is a nice club to have in your bag.
Yup, for often the same reason that your average kid might want to go to a football school. Plus, I imagine the basketball players have a lot of fun at tailgates as the BMOC who aren't in the middle of preparing for a game.

Xman95
08-09-2015, 09:29 PM
The football school thing is a joke. However, I think the argument can be made that Matta doesn't do a great job of developing players. That's not just the opinion of a bitter X fan either. I know several OSU alums that are starting to get fed up with the way players don't progress under Thad.

casualfan
08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
The football school thing is a joke. However, I think the argument can be made that Matta doesn't do a great job of developing players. That's not just the opinion of a bitter X fan either. I know several OSU alums that are starting to get fed up with the way players don't progress under Thad.

Between 1988 and 2003 OSU had 2 first round draft picks.

Since 2004 they have had 8.

Between 1969 and 2003 they went to one final four.

Between 2004 and now they have been to two.

I think your OSU buddies might need to recalibrate their expectations.

paulxu
08-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Kaiser Gates has protected his twitter account. Maybe he's convinced Kobi to join him!!

drudy23
08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

LOL...this is funny. At the end of the day, there's a reason we're in the stands watching. Always remember that.

casualfan
08-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Kobi was just crystal balled to us yesterday by a writer on the 247 network.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Kobi-Simmons-at-St-Francis-47109/CurrentExpertPredictions

XUFan09
08-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Kobi was just crystal balled to us yesterday by a writer on the 247 network.

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Kobi-Simmons-at-St-Francis-47109/CurrentExpertPredictions

That would be nice, but they are wrong so, so often.

ArizonaXUGrad
08-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Hopefully, from that link we are now on the bottom.

principal
08-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Hopefully, from that link we are now on the bottom.

They are in dated order according to when the prediction is being made. I am not making any claim at all regarding the likelihood of X getting him, but I believe it is actually better to be at the bottom - much more important to be leaning Xavier now then back in April.

casualfan
08-10-2015, 01:03 PM

Yes they are wrong pretty often. But it's exceedingly rare that a kid as highly ranked as Simmons ends up at a school he hasn't been crystal balled to.

In other words, a kid might pick a school that only has 10% of the picks, but that school still had some picks.

This is especially true for the high level 5 star guys. The more high profile a kid is the more accurate his crystal ball tends to be.

And yes, they are shown in the order they're submitted with the oldest being at the top. As you can see UK has trailed off and the Butt Guys have been trending of late, with the exception of one UK pick and one for us.

bobbiemcgee
08-10-2015, 01:38 PM
Rough recruiting yr. for Sean Miller as all his 2016 have decommited.

throwbackmuskie
08-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Between 1988 and 2003 OSU had 2 first round draft picks.

Since 2004 they have had 8.

Between 1969 and 2003 they went to one final four.

Between 2004 and now they have been to two.

I think your OSU buddies might need to recalibrate their expectations.

Most of those osu NBA guys have done jack squat. As for final four, that had more to do with talent (cook, conley oden) than it did with coaching. BTW they have only been to 1 Final Four under Matta. Matta can recruit, but IMO he lacks in the coaching department.

XU 87
08-10-2015, 01:50 PM
In 11 years at OSU, Matta has been to two final fours, one elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16's. He has won the Big Ten 4 times. He has been to the NCAA's 9 times (the first year they were on probation). He's won 20+ games every year. He's won 30+ games three years and had two years of 29 wins.

I 'd say he's been very successful at OSU. In fact, he's probably the most successful coach there since Fred Taylor went to three straight NCAA finals in the early 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Matta

GoMuskies
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Rough recruiting yr. for Sean Miller as all his 2016 have decommited.

My heart bleeds.

X-band '01
08-10-2015, 02:35 PM
In 11 years at OSU, Matta has been to two final fours, one elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16's. He has won the Big Ten 4 times. He has been to the NCAA's 9 times (the first year they were on probation). He's won 20+ games every year. He's won 30+ games three years and had two years of 29 wins.

I 'd say he's been very successful at OSU. In fact, he's probably the most successful coach there since Fred Taylor went to three straight NCAA finals in the early 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad_Matta

There is no "probably" - he is their best coach. Randy Ayers had an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 thanks to Gary Williams' recruiting, but they went downhill after the Damon Flint fiasco. Jim O'Brien did pick up the pieces with a Final 4*in 1999; however that appearance got vacated later on.

casualfan
08-10-2015, 02:43 PM
Most of those osu NBA guys have done jack squat.

Which is more of a counterpoint than anything. He gets them to perform well enough in college to get drafted well above where their nba performance indicates they should have been.

As for final four, that had more to do with talent (cook, conley oden) than it did with coaching.

So he only gets credit when guys aren't good? If he has bad players it's all his fault they didn't develop, but if he has good players he had nothing to do with them being good? C'mon. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

BTW they have only been to 1 Final Four under Matta.

You're wrong. Trust me, they've been to two.

XUFan09
08-10-2015, 04:14 PM
OSU went to the Final Four in 2007 and in 2012 under Matta.

muskiefan82
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
We ALL remember the one they went to in 2007. ALL OF US remember that one. Sometimes, when I remember it, it feels like someone is intentionally shoving me in the back and I can't figure out why......

X-band '01
08-10-2015, 04:38 PM
It's because Xavier beat BYU in the first round that year. You know, a team that was much more fun to watch...

Backyard Champ
08-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Most of those osu NBA guys have done jack squat. As for final four, that had more to do with talent (cook, conley oden) than it did with coaching. BTW they have only been to 1 Final Four under Matta. Matta can recruit, but IMO he lacks in the coaching department.

Matta is an awesome coach. I'd say top 15-20 coach in college basketball. I didn't give it much thought, so maybe I even rated him too low.

paulxu
08-10-2015, 05:13 PM
We ALL remember the one they went to in 2007. ALL OF US remember that one. Sometimes, when I remember it, it feels like someone is intentionally shoving me in the back and I can't figure out why......

Maybe it's because you were suddenly sitting in the 3rd row.

Nigel Tufnel
08-10-2015, 06:09 PM
I'm starting to doubt this visit will happen...

OH.X.MI
08-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Same. Also with Painter almost certainly out of the picture I'm worried we might be scrambling to fill-out the entire class with the staff was aiming for. Goodwin and Jones are great commits, but this class will be our foundation for years to come. The rest of August and September will be very important.

casualfan
08-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Whys that?

xu82
08-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Everything about recruiting surprises me. Then makes me happy. I even get sold on the guys who don't pan out.

XUFan09
08-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Same. Also with Painter almost certainly out of the picture I'm worried we might be scrambling to fill-out the entire class with the staff was aiming for. Goodwin and Jones are great commits, but this class will be our foundation for years to come. The rest of August and September will be very important.

It's not nearly that dire. Whether Simmons comes to Xavier or not, he's a bonus anyway, and it's not like Painter is the only big Xavier is after. This also probably won't be a big class.

throwbackmuskie
08-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Which is more of a counterpoint than anything. He gets them to perform well enough in college to get drafted well above where their nba performance indicates they should have been.

So he only gets credit when guys aren't good? If he has bad players it's all his fault they didn't develop, but if he has good players he had nothing to do with them being good? C'mon. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

You're wrong. Trust me, they've been to two.

I misread the Final fours. But he has had a lot of talent there and not advanced far either. And he has had a lot of talent fizzle out at osu. His best team had the big 3 freshman, and he really did nothing to further their development. IMO he does not come close to getting the most out of his players. He is a good coach, but lacks to much to be an elite coach. As for getting the players drafted, the draft is based on potential more than anything, there are tons of busts every year.

Juice
08-11-2015, 06:21 AM
I misread the Final fours. But he has had a lot of talent there and not advanced far either. And he has had a lot of talent fizzle out at osu. His best team had the big 3 freshman, and he really did nothing to further their development. IMO he does not come close to getting the most out of his players. He is a good coach, but lacks to much to be an elite coach. As for getting the players draft, the draft is based on potential more than anything, there are tons of busts every year.

One of those guys is a starting PG in the NBA and the other was the #1 pick but has been cursed with the worst legs ever.

throwbackmuskie
08-11-2015, 06:29 AM
One of those guys is a starting PG in the NBA and the other was the #1 pick but has been cursed with the worst legs ever.

That's true, and both only played a year under Matta. Conley took a few years to develop in the NBA. At one point there was talk of him being one of the worst PGs in the league. His first two seasons were ok, year 3 he finally took the reigns and became a very good PG. Thad can recruit, he reminds me of John Cooper. Helluva recruiter, won a lot with pure talent, but never could get over the hump.

DC Muskie
08-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Would you rather have Gary Williams, who is an elite coach, but never wanted to recruit? I mean Matta coached David West to NPOY, or maybe he didn't.

John Cooper would love to be Thad Matta. Matta's worst season still produced 20 wins. He's never had a losing record, never had a losing conference record, and averages about 27 wins per season.

2 Final Fours? We would kill to have 1.

MuskieXU
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Lets not forget Matta is only 48 either. He's without a doubt a top 10 coach in college basketball.

D-West & PO-Z
08-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Lets not forget Matta is only 48 either. He's without a doubt a top 10 coach in college basketball.

I have posted this before but I've heard from news media in Columbus they dont think Thad is going to coach all too much longer in the grand scheme of his age due to the constant pain he is in. That would be a shame.

kyxu
08-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Crazy to think Matta was just 34 when he took over the Xavier program. That's not much older than Travis Steele.

xu82
08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
I have posted this before but I've heard from news media in Columbus they dont think Thad is going to coach all too much longer in the grand scheme of his age due to the constant pain he is in. That would be a shame.

What's this constant pain about? Did I miss something? (It's been know to happen.)

casualfan
08-11-2015, 11:45 AM
What's this constant pain about? Did I miss something? (It's been know to happen.)

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/07/his_health_and_the_nba_ohio_st.html

xu82
08-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Well that sucks...

X-band '01
08-11-2015, 12:59 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/07/his_health_and_the_nba_ohio_st.html

I had heard something about his back on the One2One documentary that CBS Sports Network did on Matta last year - I didn't realize that it was because of complications from surgery. I just hope that he does leave Ohio State on his own terms when the time comes.

X-band '01
08-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Also saw the article that shows former Buckeye great Chris Jent pictured next to Thad Matta - he looks like a hybrid of Jay Bilas and John Groce nowadays.

Musketeer_15
08-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Kobi Simmons is now making a visit to UNLV on September 4th, the same day he was supposed to come to X. Is he going to reschedule or are we now no longer in consideration?