PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Rule Changes

MADXSTER
07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Since soccer has been a pretty good topic as of late, what rule changes(crazy or otherwise) would you like to see changed....Keep in mind that this would never happen because the soccer guru's are extremely opposed to change. Baseball, basketball and other sports will adjust to technology, etc. Though soccer has recently allowed review of the ball crossing the goal line.

Mine would be....

1) One 2 minute timeout per half
2) Subs, should be more like college - the pro's sub pattern of only 3 per game sucks
3) Official in booth - to review and give yellow cards to players who obviously flop. The game would not have to be stop. The next time there is a stoppage, just issue the card.
4) Stop the clock for down time, to let it run seems idiotic to me. This isn't Butler

This one will sound insane
5) Two center refs - Most fans and players don't get upset with the calls nearly as much as the non-calls. Basketball has 3 refs running the floor, all making calls on 10 players. Football has refs everywhere on the field and sidelines for 22 players. Baseball has 4 umpires.

Soccer has 1 center ref on the largest field of them all, in a game which hardly stops and both offense and defensive players are on both ends of the field. The sideline refs rarely call anything outside of out of bounds and half the time they look at the center ref before they make the call.

On number 3) I was suprised at how many people mentioned they like womens soccer over mens, because the men would flop or go down too easily then act as if their leg needed to be removed only to sprint down the field 15 seconds later.

Muskie
07-06-2015, 07:23 PM
I am in favor of allowing 4 Subs (but one reserved for a Goalie sub only) for College through Professional. I think you would see many more backups get some time in goal.

I don't think College has a limit on subs though do they? I feel like I watched several X games last year where there were more than 3 subs? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

xu82
07-06-2015, 07:33 PM
I am bothered by all the guys who go down like they were shot and roll around for effect until they pop up and run away like nothing ever happened. I would suggest adding a sniper to the upper level of the stadium for these soccer sissies. Go down and roll around and we'll put you out of your misery! As my mother always said: "I'll give you something to cry about!" Just a thought...

Edit: an extra sub isn't a bad idea either.

DC Muskie
07-06-2015, 07:34 PM
I look forward to Go's ideas.

I'd add the end line refs.

The rest of the Mad's idea isn't soccer. Timeouts? Stop the clock? More technology? Instant replay has made officiating worse.

And the flopping complaint gets really tiresome. The issue isn't much of an issue as it was in the past. If you don't believe it, you haven't been paying attention. It's getting better in soccer and WORSE in basketball. Nobody thinks flopping is ruining basketball.

Also the women's game is nice. But slow. Glad we dominated.

bjf123
07-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Didn't the NBA start fining players for flopping? If it's getting better in men's soccer, then it must have been horrendous in the past. I started watching some of the EPL games this year and the flopping is ridiculous.

I would like to see a game clock so you know how much time is really left, instead if waiting for the ref to signal how much extra time is added. Even then, it's not exact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC Muskie
07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I started watching some of the EPL games this year and the flopping is ridiculous.

Then yes, if you thought this season was ridiculous, then matches like ten years ago would have been unbearable for you.

You do realize that having cleats driven into your feet, shins, and legs have a tendency to hurt, but have no lasting damage. Not everything you think is a flop is actually flop.

I would like to see a game clock so you know how much time is really left, instead if waiting for the ref to signal how much extra time is added. Even then, it's not exact.

Ummm...it doesn't really work that way. Guys do get hurt in this game, I know it's shocking since apparently all they are doing is diving all over the place. But there is no stoppage of clock, and it's never going to be "exact."

I often wonder why there are never threads about improving other sports throughout the year. It's a like a favorite American pasttime. Like naming 45 places that serve burgers and ranking them.

nuts4xu
07-06-2015, 09:14 PM
The more soccer I watch, the more I get the flopping. They have one ref, who can't see everything that happens. Players are "selling the foul" much like a catcher sells a strike call (framing the pitch). Players in most sports will try and sell a call to an official, so the dives don't bother me as much as it used to. I don't like them, but I understand they are part of the game.

GoMuskies
07-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I look forward to Go's ideas

Require that every soccer game be played during the MLB All-star game so that I might watch. IF the WNBA game gets a little slow.

DC Muskie
07-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Require that every soccer game be played during the MLB All-star game so that I might watch. IF the WNBA game gets a little slow.

See? This is much better.

ammtd34
07-07-2015, 06:37 AM
There is also a difference between a dive and embellishing a legitimate foul.

To add to someone else's point, you hear "He barely got touched" from fans all the time, then they groan when the player gets back up and continues playing. If your foot barely gets stepped on by a guy sprinting past you, it's going to hurt for minute. I stub my toe on the coffee table all the time and it's the worst 30 seconds of the day. I hop around my living room like an idiot. Then it's fine.

ammtd34
07-07-2015, 06:42 AM
3) Official in booth - to review and give yellow cards to players who obviously flop. The game would not have to be stop. The next time there is a stoppage, just issue the card.

This doesn't seem feasible. What if a dive draws a free kick that a team scores from? Do you take the goal away? It's also the 4th officials job and the purpose of microphone/headphone systems. AR's are a lot more involved in the game than you may think. The yellow card in the final when the Japanese player slammed into Julie Johnston certainly came from an AR or the 4th official. The referee had turned to get in place for the free kick, then turned back to issue the card.

bjf123
07-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Then yes, if you thought this season was ridiculous, then matches like ten years ago would have been unbearable for you.

You do realize that having cleats driven into your feet, shins, and legs have a tendency to hurt, but have no lasting damage. Not everything you think is a flop is actually a flop.

I agree completely. However, there are plenty of flops where the replay shows the person was barely, if at all, touched by the opponent. There are way too many of those. Kind of like the videos I've seen of Lebron flopping in the NBA before they started fining for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArizonaXUGrad
07-07-2015, 04:05 PM
I would love to see a 2nd center official on the field. Culture has to change for the flops to go away. Obviously some countries are worse than others.

I believe College soccer rules are that once you are subbed out in the first half that is it. You can be subbed out of the first, but subbed back in if you don't pass a certain point in the game. I might be wrong on that.