PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Thread

SemajParlor
05-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Lottery tonight.

Has your team :

Given the fans Frowns for Towns, Choked more for Okafor, Ruined your day for Mudiay, Showed no hustle for Russell.

If so, tonight is probably your favorite night of the 2014-2015 NBA season.

As a Knicks fan, conventional thought would have me rooting for a top 2 pick. Towns/ Okafor have been deemed as can't miss. I really like D Russell's game though.

Side note: Is there any chance NYK doesn't get the number 1 here? My conspiracy sense in tingling.

GoMuskies
05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Go Jazz!

Relatable draft odds.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/19/highly-relatable-draft-lottery-odds/

X-band '01
05-19-2015, 03:50 PM
The Knicks had formidable tanking competition with Minnesota, Philly, Orlando and the Lakers this year.

BandAid
05-19-2015, 09:04 PM
I'd take Towns with the #1, but I'm not an NBA GM - so what the hell do I know?

sirthought
05-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Now the T-Wolves will have the #1 pick from three drafts in a row. That's some kind of record.

DC Muskie
05-20-2015, 06:40 AM
The 76ers have six draft picks. SIX!

sgarcia
05-20-2015, 08:13 AM
The 76ers have six draft picks. SIX!

5 of the 6 picks are in round 2 where they'll probably take a few euro's and throw them overseas so it doesn't go against their cap. Hopefully Russell gets picked and the process can move forward. I think Saric will still stay in Europe for the last year of his deal before he comes over. I'd like to see Philly buy out that last year and have him play this year with the team. Next year they will likely have 4 first round picks because they didn't get the LA, Miami and OKC picks this year. New practice facility coming soon as well so things are hopefully heading in the right direction.

SemajParlor
05-20-2015, 08:16 AM
I want to cry. Such a Knicks move to suck at sucking.

sgarcia
05-20-2015, 08:32 AM
The Knicks got Dolaned. I grew up a huge Knicks fan being from Connecticut. Until they got Carmelo they were the team I rooted for. I stopped caring about them after they made the Carmelo trade. Volume shooter who can't play any defense and always misses several games a year will never work out well. Plus the fact that Dolan is a moron just makes it worse.

SemajParlor
05-20-2015, 10:04 AM
The Knicks got Dolaned. I grew up a huge Knicks fan being from Connecticut. Until they got Carmelo they were the team I rooted for. I stopped caring about them after they made the Carmelo trade. Volume shooter who can't play any defense and always misses several games a year will never work out well. Plus the fact that Dolan is a moron just makes it worse.

What part of CT?

sgarcia
05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
What part of CT?

Danbury

DC Muskie
05-20-2015, 12:52 PM
5 of the 6 picks are in round 2 where they'll probably take a few euro's and throw them overseas so it doesn't go against their cap. Hopefully Russell gets picked and the process can move forward. I think Saric will still stay in Europe for the last year of his deal before he comes over. I'd like to see Philly buy out that last year and have him play this year with the team. Next year they will likely have 4 first round picks because they didn't get the LA, Miami and OKC picks this year. New practice facility coming soon as well so things are hopefully heading in the right direction.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Mostly because I don't follow any team from the the City Of Farts. But man they own 10% of the draft. That's incredible.

D-West & PO-Z
05-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Lottery tonight.

Has your team :

Given the fans Frowns for Towns, Choked more for Okafor, Ruined your day for Mudiay, Showed no hustle for Russell.

If so, tonight is probably your favorite night of the 2014-2015 NBA season.

As a Knicks fan, conventional thought would have me rooting for a top 2 pick. Towns/ Okafor have been deemed as can't miss. I really like D Russell's game though.

Side note: Is there any chance NYK doesn't get the number 1 here? My conspiracy sense in tingling.

Fellow Knickerbocker fan here. Disapointed they didnt get a top 2 but glad the worst case scenario of dropping to 5 didnt happen. I would still be prety happy with Russell or Mudiay. I would probably prefer Mudiay, who obviously doesnt have they hpe Russell does at this point due to playing overseas but Mudiay has more potential from everything I have read/heard. He is a big PG the Knicks need.

D-West & PO-Z
05-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Dolan is the worst owner is sports.

SemajParlor
05-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Not even debatable.

OH.X.MI
05-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Not even debatable.

You gonna let people talk trash about your boy Melo?

XUPhilly04
05-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Russell to the 76ers at 3 is the easiest lock in the draft. From listening to local Philly sports talk, 76ers management was attending his games throughout the year.

sgarcia
05-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Russell to the 76ers at 3 is the easiest lock in the draft. From listening to local Philly sports talk, 76ers management was attending his games throughout the year.

I hope so. People keep saying Mudiay is the new wave of point guard but I don't want another terrible shooter to run this team. We had MCW who couldn't shoot a lick and it was painful to watch. I want Okafor but he'll be gone so if they get Russell I'll be happy. You think they leave Saric over in Europe 1 more year? Maybe we'll get lucky and get a good free agent this offseason as well.

DC Muskie
05-22-2015, 08:48 AM
How much cap space do the Knicks have?

Xville
05-22-2015, 09:03 AM
if the knicks were smart, which they aren't, but that's neither here nor there, they would have let Anthony walk. The guy is a loser who is never going to win anything in the NBA, hes a good player but he is not a leader and is not good enough for the contract that he is getting. For the love he is getting paid 2 million more than the best player on the planet and he can't hold Lebrons jockstrap even with Lebron seemingly having lost a step.

After looking at some of the NBA Salaries, can someone explain to me what the hell Joe Johnson has done to earn 23 million a year?

SemajParlor
05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Carmelo's second best player he ever played with was a past his prime Chauncey Billups. Let that sink in.

SemajParlor
05-22-2015, 09:48 AM
You gonna let people talk trash about your boy Melo?

Defending Melo at this point is like talking people out of believing in ridiculous conspiracy theories. It's not that I agree with their points, it's just not worth it to have the discussion. I have learned it's more effective to sit back and let people spew nonsense about how they think the NBA works, then move forward from there.

SemajParlor
05-22-2015, 09:53 AM

If they kept Calderon they would have roughly 27 million

Juice
05-22-2015, 09:56 AM

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

A lot

DC Muskie
05-22-2015, 10:28 AM

A lot

I would say yes. I haven't heard of a couple of these guys.

D-West & PO-Z
05-22-2015, 11:39 AM

I hope so. People keep saying Mudiay is the new wave of point guard but I don't want another terrible shooter to run this team. We had MCW who couldn't shoot a lick and it was painful to watch. I want Okafor but he'll be gone so if they get Russell I'll be happy. You think they leave Saric over in Europe 1 more year? Maybe we'll get lucky and get a good free agent this offseason as well.

I hope so too, I'd rather the Knicks get Mudiay.

D-West & PO-Z
05-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Carmelo's second best player he ever played with was a past his prime Chauncey Billups. Let that sink in.

Yes, it is quite scary.

Defending Melo at this point is like talking people out of believing in ridiculous conspiracy theories. It's not that I agree with their points, it's just not worth it to have the discussion. I have learned it's more effective to sit back and let people spew nonsense about how they think the NBA works, then move forward from there.

Yes.

D-West & PO-Z
05-22-2015, 11:42 AM

A lot

Now they just need Jackson to show is isnt just some highly paid figurehead and get someone of real significance to come team up with Melo in NY.

paulxu
05-22-2015, 03:42 PM
If Vezenkov doesn't get drafted, can he still suit up for the Muskies?

Masterofreality
05-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Are you saying he's the Artie Fufkin of the NBA?

(For you Nigel.)

XUPhilly04
05-22-2015, 10:18 PM

I have heard on local Philly radio, WIP, that Saric would likely stay one more year. I believe that by doing so, his rookie contract would be for the several years after he joined the team. So we should have him under his rookie deal for part of his prime years. Regarding Mudiay, I think the talent is there, just wonder if the basketball IQ is there as well. NBA is filled with very talented guys who don't have a brain cell between their ears.

SemajParlor
06-01-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't understand why Willie Cauley Stein isn't getting more love. I would much rather have him than Lyles.

This should be his highlight tape, that's it, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OjudFd2q4

Xville
06-01-2015, 03:08 PM
I don't understand why Willie Cauley Stein isn't getting more love. I would much rather have him than Lyles.

This should be his highlight tape, that's it, nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8OjudFd2q4

Stein is an athletic freak. The problem is that...he isn't much of a basketball player. Being that I live in Louisville, I have watched the majority of games that Cauley-Stein has played and he is pretty limited in his ability as a basketball player. He doesn't have much of an offensive game ( in fact outside of dunking the ball he is pretty awful), he is skinny, and he tends to "float" quite a bit...by that I mean he takes possessions, even games off. When Anthony Davis came out, I knew he was going to be a stud because he showed up every single possession, every single game, even though he was a little bit limited offensively at the time.

I don't know what to make of Lyles quite frankly...being in the "platoon" system for one year it is kind of hard to get a read on him. He does seem to have a pretty good outside shot for a big man, but he doesn't seem to be very athletic....I think he could be a good stretch four with the right system, but I just don't know.

Juice
06-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Stein is an athletic freak. The problem is that...he isn't much of a basketball player. Being that I live in Louisville, I have watched the majority of games that Cauley-Stein has played and he is pretty limited in his ability as a basketball player. He doesn't have much of an offensive game ( in fact outside of dunking the ball he is pretty awful), he is skinny, and he tends to "float" quite a bit...by that I mean he takes possessions, even games off. When Anthony Davis came out, I knew he was going to be a stud because he showed up every single possession, every single game, even though he was a little bit limited offensively at the time.

I don't know what to make of Lyles quite frankly...being in the "platoon" system for one year it is kind of hard to get a read on him. He does seem to have a pretty good outside shot for a big man, but he doesn't seem to be very athletic....I think he could be a good stretch four with the right system, but I just don't know.

WCS is a top 10 pick because he's that good defensively.

Lyles looks incomplete because he played out of position all year. He can score down low too, he just didn't have as much opportunity to do it.

SemajParlor
06-02-2015, 11:01 AM
WCS is a top 10 pick because he's that good defensively.

Lyles looks incomplete because he played out of position all year. He can score down low too, he just didn't have as much opportunity to do it.

Lyles reminds me of Channing Frye. Solid player but I don't want to build my core around Channing Frye. *Looks at Knicks 2005 draft*

casualfan
06-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Lyles reminds me of Channing Frye. Solid player but I don't want to build my core around Channing Frye. *Looks at Knicks 2005 draft*

So you're going to build it around a guy who can't score?

I personally don't think you would be able to build a franchise around either player, but IMHO Lyles is a much better long term bet than Willie.

The NBA is a game built around offensive skill which, as others have mentioned, is something Willie just doesn't really have.

That's not to say he won't be a serviceable pro, but IMHO Lyles has much more NBA upside than Willie.

D-West & PO-Z
06-02-2015, 11:46 AM
There are proabably 4-5 guys who seem like you could build a team around in this draft and then another 2-3 who maybe could turn out to be that kind of player.

WCS seems like a Tyson Chandler type. Really good to great defender, really good rebounder, and would be a valuable piece to a team but isnt THE piece.

SemajParlor
06-02-2015, 12:25 PM
There are proabably 4-5 guys who seem like you could build a team around in this draft and then another 2-3 who maybe could turn out to be that kind of player.

WCS seems like a Tyson Chandler type. Really good to great defender, really good rebounder, and would be a valuable piece to a team but isnt THE piece.

Yeah, see a ton of Tyson Chandler there.

sirthought
06-02-2015, 03:01 PM
I see a lot of teams needing Tyson Chandler in his prime.

Xville
06-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Sorry but those who are comparing wcs to a Tyson chandler type player haven't seen enough of wcs. Chandler can rebound, wcs for his size is actually a pretty poor defensive rebounder. Chandler will never be questioned for his lack of effort, wcs has on many occasions. The only thing chandler and wcs have in common is their length.

SemajParlor
06-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Sorry but those who are comparing wcs to a Tyson chandler type player haven't seen enough of wcs. Chandler can rebound, wcs for his size is actually a pretty poor defensive rebounder. Chandler will never be questioned for his lack of effort, wcs has on many occasions. The only thing chandler and wcs have in common is their length.

And their ability to control the paint without much foul trouble. WCS has great defensive awareness and he's a monster shot blocker. And he's more athletic than Chandler. Don't get me wrong - has a long way to go. I would roll the dice on him if I had a mid to high lottery pick

Juice
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM

You horribly underrate WCS: http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/29/nba-draft-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor-frank-kaminsky-delon-wright

2. Willie Cauley-Stein might still be underrated. That Kentucky's Cauley-Stein, the man whose middle name is now officially "Trill", is No. 2 in that DWS/40 chart despite his best qualities falling outside traditional box scores is remarkable. The rangy 7-footer gets his share of rebounds, blocks and steals, but when I charted the Wildcats' defense for an SI magazine project this season, Cauley-Stein's real value became evident in rim protection (he was Kentucky's best at this); overall turnovers forced (also best on the team on a per-possession basis); switchability on pick-and-rolls, handoffs and off-ball screens; and his ability to act as a sort of rover who could, on any given possession, guard men on the blocks, cut off penetration, or close out on perimeter shooters. It's these hard-to-track and less-quantifiable attributes that make Cauley-Stein a justifiable top-five pick with the potential for a long, valuable NBA career.

D-West & PO-Z
06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
And their ability to control the paint without much foul trouble. WCS has great defensive awareness and he's a monster shot blocker. And he's more athletic than Chandler. Don't get me wrong - has a long way to go. I would roll the dice on him if I had a mid to high lottery pick

Yeah and they are both very limited offensively. They have more similarities than just length.

And Chandler hasnt been a great rebounder consistently. In 14 seasons he has 4 seasons where he averaged double digit rebounds.

SemajParlor
06-11-2015, 03:39 PM
If Knicks draft Porzingis I'm no longer a fan.

I want Winslow in the worst way. Worry about how he fits in with position / schemes later. He's gonna be the guy that everyone will feel stupid for letting him drop to 4 or 5.

D-West & PO-Z
06-11-2015, 04:18 PM

I want Winslow in the worst way. Worry about how he fits in with position / schemes later. He's gonna be the guy that everyone will feel stupid for letting him drop to 4 or 5.

I dont know enough on Winslow/didnt get to watch him enough. I have a fear his tourney performance may have inflated him some but then again it could just be a sign of whats to come. I have really wanted Mudiay, real risk and not a lot of tape on him from China due to injury but I just get this feeling from what I do know/have seen and read he could be a Westbrook type. Not great fro triangle but figure that out later.

Totally agree on Porzingis though. I have two words that will make any Knicks fan shutter that tunrs me off to the big unknown foreign white guys:

Frederic Weiss

Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

Yep that 7'2 white guy being completely jumped and dunked over by Vince Carter was the Knicks first round draft pick in 1999. BOOOOOOO

SemajParlor
06-13-2015, 05:00 PM
[LEFT]
I dont know enough on Winslow/didnt get to watch him enough. I have a fear his tourney performance may have inflated him some but then again it could just be a sign of whats to come.

I think Winslow is the real deal. I remember reading that Coach K said he was the closest person to D Wade he's ever seen before.

As far as Porzingis goes, give me anyone, D'Angelo, Justise, Mudiay, WCS, Lyles, Booker, Stanley, Dekker, ANYONE before Porzingis.

SemajParlor
06-24-2015, 10:03 AM
Lots of trade rumors floating around for my Knicks at the 4 spot.

Latest one I'm hearing (Chad Ford) if Russell is not available, trade the #4 for Eric Bledsoe and the #13.

Give me Devin Booker at 13 and I will be one happy camper.

D-West & PO-Z
06-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Lots of trade rumors floating around for my Knicks at the 4 spot.

Latest one I'm hearing (Chad Ford) if Russell is not available, trade the #4 for Eric Bledsoe and the #13.

Give me Devin Booker at 13 and I will be one happy camper.

Just read thats looking less likely. I'd love moving back a few spots and getting a decent NBA player and drafting WCS.

Need to hope and pray Sixers screw up and draft Porzingis.

SemajParlor
06-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Draft Night. Other than Towns at 1, I don't see a lot of definite locks. Could be a good one!

MuskieCinci
06-25-2015, 10:23 AM
I seem to recall the Knicks were actually pretty good about drafting players, but they wouldn't develop them very well after the first year or two and the front office would do other boneheaded things to torpedo them in various ways. Am I misremembering?

DC Muskie
06-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Someone check on our boy!

SemajParlor
06-25-2015, 07:54 PM
I hate my life.

Being a Mets, Jets, and Knicks fan isn't easy guys. This was a hard hit.

SemajParlor
06-25-2015, 07:56 PM
I need real, actual evidence that the Knicks front office weren't sitting around and saying "hey how can we piss off our fan base the most?"

https://vine.co/v/e59e0DXWQbI

DC Muskie
06-25-2015, 07:58 PM
I hate my life.

Come on man, I'm from Cleveland, and moved to DC right when the Caps got swept from the Stanley Cup in 1998. How's that working out since?

Be thankful I don't move to NY and really screw you over.

mistabeecee41
06-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Thunder draft a pg the day after trading for Luke ridnour. Maybe semaj isn't a part of their plan after all.

XUFan09
06-25-2015, 09:31 PM
Come on man, I'm from Cleveland, and moved to DC right when the Caps got swept from the Stanley Cup in 1998. How's that working out since?

Be thankful I don't move to NY and really screw you over.

I really like the theory where bad runs in sports are due to a cloud surrounding DC Muskie over the years. Do you venture up to Buffalo some? Or maybe this cloud has a large area of effect that just carried up Lake Erie. It's not like nearby Baltimore has won anything recently, except for a recent championship won by a (notoriously) former Cleveland team.

xu82
06-25-2015, 09:40 PM
I hate my life.

You should focus: become a Bills fan!

Xville
06-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Thunder draft a pg the day after trading for Luke ridnour. Maybe semaj isn't a part of their plan after all.

And why would he be? Look I loved semaj as a xavier player, but he's just not good enough. He can't shoot which is kind of a problem for a guard unless you are a great distributor which he is just decent at. Just go europe, make some millions for ten years and enjoy life.

drudy23
06-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Semaj was one of the better players in the NBDL this year. He needs an opportunity but probably still has an uphill battle.

Juice
06-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Yikes

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m2 minutes ago
Guys who left early and did NOT get drafted: Cliff Alexander, Brandon Ashley, Aaron Harrison, Trevor Lacey, Robert Upshaw, Christian Wood.

D-West & PO-Z
06-26-2015, 11:48 AM
I hate my life.

I am almost the same but luckily I am Giants instead f Jets. Mets, Knicks, Giants.

D-West & PO-Z
06-26-2015, 11:54 AM
The problem with the Knicks pick isnt that they didnt possibly take the best player/player with the most upside, it is that they took a guy who is probably 2 years away from being a solid player, and 5 away from being, as a best case scenario, the next Dirk. Melo doesnt have many years left, Phil Jackson wont be around too long, Porzingis isnt a pick that initially attracts other free agents. All alng Phil Jackson had said the Knicks could be turned around quickly and be a player in the East quickly. This pick doesnt help with the quickly part. He could be great, but that isnt the point. I would have been happier with Mudiay.

I did love the Jerian Grant trade though. They probably go the 3rd best PG in the draft at pick #19 for trading a guy who 2 years ago was picked at #24 (I think?) and who wasnt really panning out.