PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Simpson

BMoreX
05-19-2015, 11:05 AM
@BSnowScout: Per his AAU team website @Xaviersimpson3 is announcing at 6 pm tomorrow at his high school

paulxu
05-19-2015, 11:10 AM
He's listed at 5'10", which means he's shorter.
Yikes. I hope Sumner can really play.

MADXSTER
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
No worries Paul, I would take Simpson in a heart beat. Very crafty, not selfish - will drive to the basket, get two defenders and dish off to the big for a dunk. If Simpson was on the team this year, I would not be concerned about the PG position at all. The boy can play. Hopefully Xavier comes to Xavier.

GoMuskies
05-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Fred Van Vleet is listed at 6 foot, which means he's probably closer to 5'10". If he was on our roster, we'd be preseason top 10. I'm not concerned about a PG being small as long as he can play.

maketewahXalum
05-19-2015, 12:23 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1547601-simpson-set-to-announce#/story/1547601-simpson-set-to-announce

Small article about Simpson, but I do like this sentence toward the end of the above article:

"The most recent visit that Simpson took was an unofficial to Xavier, and since then he has made no other visits."

I have to think that is somewhat positive. Per another article I read, he took his unofficial visit to XU on April 29. I like that he hasn't visited any other schools since. I couldn't seem to find much information on any other visits he may have taken prior to the XU visit.

Here is another link to an article, from the Indy Star, about Xavier Simpson:
http://www.indystar.com/story/recruiting-central/2015/05/03/xavier-simpson-2016-ohio-point-guard-has-recent-offers-from-purdue-butler/26851889/

Some solid quotes from that article from Simpson:

Xavier may be the frontrunner to land Simpson.

"They stand high," he said of Xavier. "They've been on me for a while and have shown a lot of loyalty. They've definitely been there and been supporting me. I really like Xavier."

He had this to say about his Butler:
Butler offered Simpson about three weeks ago.

"It made me proud (to get the offer)," he said. "I don't know much about Butler but I'm getting to communicate with their coaches a little more. We'll see how things go."

Would love to land this kid! Should we land his services, he would also be ANOTHER 4-star we beat Butler out for...

paulxu
05-19-2015, 12:55 PM
No worries Paul, I would take Simpson in a heart beat. Very crafty, not selfish - will drive to the basket, get two defenders and dish off to the big for a dunk. If Simpson was on the team this year, I would not be concerned about the PG position at all. The boy can play. Hopefully Xavier comes to Xavier.

Well...OK then.

ammtd34
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Now it doesn't look like he'll decide tomorrow.

blueblob06
05-27-2015, 12:08 PM
https://iowa.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=940&script=%2Fcontent%2Easp&cid=1769344

This article from yesterday has very different quotes vs his quotes on X from earlier in the thread....makes it seem like it's a wide open race. Let's hope Xavier gets Xavier!

casualfan
07-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Simpson has been retweeting UC stuff all day. Seems like he is angling for an offer from them.

https://twitter.com/Xaviersimpson3

XUFan09
07-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Simpson has been retweeting UC stuff all day. Seems like he is angling for an offer from them.

https://twitter.com/Xaviersimpson3
Cumberland is one of his teammates, so he's naturally paying attention to UC today, plus he's retweeting fan attention he's getting like any recruit, which happens to include a decent number of UC fans wanting "to collect the set," so to speak. I wouldn't read much into it, unless it goes beyond today. If it persists, though, then things get a bit interesting.

Edit: The reason I say this is I've seen the same thing play out with Xavier commits. A guy commits, his teammate who is also a high-D1 recruit is excited for him and is tweeting stuff about Xavier, and suddenly Xavier fans are like, "Maybe we can get him too!". They start tweeting at the teammate, and he retweets because he likes the attention and they're his teammates' new fans. Maybe in that moment of excitement he's thinking it could be cool to keep playing ball with the new Xavier commit, but by a day or two later, that feeling had subsided and nothing came of the whole thing.

GoMuskies
07-01-2015, 04:05 PM
A guy who says his name Egg-Zay-Vee-Ur playing for UC? Dislike.

Bearcat_Bounce
07-01-2015, 05:11 PM
Cumberland is one of his teammates, so he's naturally paying attention to UC today, plus he's retweeting fan attention he's getting like any recruit, which happens to include a decent number of UC fans wanting "to collect the set," so to speak. I wouldn't read much into it, unless it goes beyond today. If it persists, though, then things get a bit interesting.

Edit: The reason I say this is I've seen the same thing play out with Xavier commits. A guy commits, his teammate who is also a high-D1 recruit is excited for him and is tweeting stuff about Xavier, and suddenly Xavier fans are like, "Maybe we can get him too!". They start tweeting at the teammate, and he retweets because he likes the attention and they're his teammates' new fans. Maybe in that moment of excitement he's thinking it could be cool to keep playing ball with the new Xavier commit, but by a day or two later, that feeling had subsided and nothing came of the whole thing.

Part of it is because their coach is Simpson's father and he said the two want to play together in college. However that was told to a Purdue website back in May (who were recruiting both players). Cincinnati isn't really interested in a PG for the 2016 class and has not been recruiting Simpson thus far.

paulxu
07-01-2015, 05:25 PM
You guys with that twitter stuff, ramp it up and talk Kaiser's buddy Kobi Simmons to come to X next year.

XUFan09
07-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Part of it is because their coach is Simpson's father and he said the two want to play together in college. However that was told to a Purdue website back in May (who were recruiting both players). Cincinnati isn't really interested in a PG for the 2016 class and has not been recruiting Simpson thus far.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I remember hearing that they wanted to play together in college back when Xavier was renewing the conversation with Cumberland but didn't think much of it, because these package deals rarely happen.

X-band '01
07-02-2015, 07:48 AM
You guys with that twitter stuff, ramp it up and talk Kaiser's buddy Kobi Simmons to come to X next year.

Nah, I don't want the NCAA enforcement staff sniffing around here.

xu82
07-04-2015, 10:55 AM

So, of course I had to look this guy up, only to find we are one of the few schools on the planet not to offer this guy. Top schools, small schools, schools near and far. All of which confounds me and reinforces just how little I know about which schools chase which kids, and why.

94GRAD
07-04-2015, 08:43 PM
So, of course I had to look this guy up, only to find we are one of the few schools on the planet not to offer this guy. Top schools, small schools, schools near and far. All of which confounds me and reinforces just how little I know about which schools chase which kids, and why.

Which is why I don't follow recruits until they actually sign. I don't need to cry over potential spilled milk.

bjf123
07-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Maybe we didn't make him an offer because he pronounces Xavier wrong?!?!?!? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvAlbert
07-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Maybe we didn't make him an offer because he pronounces Xavier wrong?!?!?!? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We definitely have an offer out to Xavier Simpson and we're in his top 5 or 6. They're referring to Kobi Simmons, the #7 or so overall recruit in 2016. He was a high school teammate of Kaiser Gates.

casualfan
07-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Free update from Scout on where things stand with Simpson (http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1565116)

Murph85
07-22-2015, 01:49 PM
We sound like a fallback for him.

Lamont Sanford
07-22-2015, 02:36 PM

What he said.

SixFig
07-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Meh maybe. I din't get that from the article, unless it is inferred because in the article they mention Xavier last.

Xman95
07-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Which is why I don't follow recruits until they actually sign. I don't need to cry over potential spilled milk.

Spilled milk? No. Spilled beer? WAH!!!

gladdenguy
09-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Committed to the University of Michigan Wolverines today. Good luck Xavier!!!! Made a great choice if you didn't choose to be a Xavier Musketeer.

redhawkmuskie
09-09-2015, 10:54 PM
Would've been nice to have him but Goodin has a higher ceiling in my opinion. Maybe we will play him before his time at Michigan is over, Go Muskies!

MarvAlbert
09-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Would've been nice to have him but Goodin has a higher ceiling in my opinion. Maybe we will play him before his time at Michigan is over, Go Muskies!

I'm not suggesting anything wrong in his recruiting at all, but he named a final 5 and Michigan wasn't in it. Then, he takes a visit to Wisconsin (which wasn't listed either, if I'm not mistaken) and then drops by Michigan on his way home and commits. I think we'd all be questioning our coaching staff if they had put their eggs in the Xavier Simpson basket, instead of the Quentin Goodin basket. Solid move by the coaches- and it is even more apparent now.

LA Muskie
09-10-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm not suggesting anything wrong in his recruiting at all, but he named a final 5 and Michigan wasn't in it. Then, he takes a visit to Wisconsin (which wasn't listed either, if I'm not mistaken) and then drops by Michigan on his way home and commits. I think we'd all be questioning our coaching staff if they had put their eggs in the Xavier Simpson basket, instead of the Quentin Goodin basket. Solid move by the coaches- and it is even more apparent now.
Well he didn't hold an offer from Michigan until then. So he couldn't really have them on his "list." And once Cassius Winston and Quentin Goodin were out of the mix, Simpson probably became a very high priority. He may have misplayed his hand at XU, but Michigan is a great school. Best of luck to the kid.

XUMIOH12
09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Michigan pulled their offer to Cassius Winston and gave it to Xavier Simpson after Xavier told them he wanted to commit. Michigan wanted Winston badly but didn't want to wait for a commit.

LA Muskie
09-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Michigan pulled their offer to Cassius Winston and gave it to Xavier Simpson after Xavier told them he wanted to commit. Michigan wanted Winston badly but didn't want to wait for a commit.
That's not the the chronology as I understand it. Simpson came for an unofficial visit, got an offer, and accepted on the spot. Since they didn't need a 2nd PG in that class, they then pulled Winston's offer. Was Michigan sick of waiting and concerned that they may strike out on all their PG targets? I can only imagine the answer to that question is ABSOLUTELY. Ironically, Simpson basically had the same thing happen to XU with Goodin. Although it sounds like XU at least gave him a heads-up and a chance to preempt the Goodin commitment--whereas I'm not seeing similar reports vis-a-vis Michigan and Winston.

XUMIOH12
09-10-2015, 11:31 AM
That's not the the chronology as I understand it. Simpson came for an unofficial visit, got an offer, and accepted on the spot. Since they didn't need a 2nd PG in that class, they then pulled Winston's offer. Was Michigan sick of waiting and concerned that they may strike out on all their PG targets? I can only imagine the answer to that question is ABSOLUTELY. Ironically, Simpson basically had the same thing happen to XU with Goodin. Although it sounds like XU at least gave him a heads-up and a chance to preempt the Goodin commitment--whereas I'm not seeing similar reports vis-a-vis Michigan and Winston.
Michigan didn't want to risk losing out on all of their targets when they had 1 who was ready immediately, even if it wasn't their top guy.
Simpson committed to the Michigan staff (privately) after visiting on Sunday, and didn't announce it until yesterday.
Sometime in between Sunday night and Wednesday morning, Michigan called Cassius and told him he no longer had a scholarship available.

XUMIOH12
09-10-2015, 11:38 AM
My initial post wasn't meant to be in chronological order, just summarized what happened.