PDA

View Full Version : UDPride -- Oxymoron???

boozehound
03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
First of all, isn't UDpride an oxymoron? Shouldn't they change the name of their website?

Second of all, it is absolutely hilarious what is going on over there. They have actually already started the "wait 'til next year" thread. Apparently Marcus Johnson is going to be all-world and Paul Williams is going to be an immediate star.

Also, evidentally we are not going to be any good next year, having lost Duncan, Burrell, and Lavendar. The funny thing is, they said that exact same thing last year about Cage, Cole, and Doellman.

Strange Brew
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Damn Booze, you beat me to it. Don't worry UD, Xavier will be worse next year. We don't have a top 25 player coming in (Frease), Mr. Michigan Basketball (Redford, you know it burns), and two other quality recruits coming in (Walsh, Cheeks).

OH, Oh, oh, I almost forgot. Raymond, Brown, Anderson, Love, Graves, Deathwish, and two more Jucos will be back. But UD, your right ,the balance of talent is definately shifting in your direction next year. LOL.

Michigan Muskie
Mr. Williams, meet Mr. Frease. And Mr. Redford. And Mr. Walsh. And Mr. Lyons.

Doctor. Doctor. Doctor. Doctor.

You will be failing to carry the jocks of these gentlemen through the year 2012. Might as well get to know them now.

Rickmc23
First of all, isn't UDpride an oxymoron? Shouldn't they change the name of their website?

Second of all, it is absolutely hilarious what is going on over there. They have actually already started the "wait 'til next year" thread. Apparently Marcus Johnson is going to be all-world and Paul Williams is going to be an immediate star.

Also, evidentally we are not going to be any good next year, having lost Duncan, Burrell, and Lavendar. The funny thing is, they said that exact same thing last year about Cage, Cole, and Doellman.

Last year, Little was going to be all world after scoring 20+ points against X in the last game. We know how that turned out.

We dont rebuild, we reload. I feel pretty good with Dante, BJ, CJ, Love, Graves coming back...and the great recruiting class coming in.

Strange Brew
03-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Damnit, I forgot Jackson. My humblest apologies Dante.

XU05and07
03-13-2008, 04:45 PM
They can talk about next year all they want....we are still winning this year and this is the year that counts

AdamtheFlyer
03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
In fairness to my UD bretheren, there's only one thread about next year. Most of the rest are about this postseason for the Flyers.

I think Paul Williams will be very good as a freshmen. There's precedent in Wright and Johnson. I really think Williams will be a stud, and at worst he'll be a good player. The other three recruits are complete unkowns.

Giddyup37
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
In fairness to my UD bretheren, there's only one thread about next year. Most of the rest are about this postseason for the Flyers.

I think Paul Williams will be very good as a freshmen. There's precedent in Wright and Johnson. I really think Williams will be a stud, and at worst he'll be a good player. The other three recruits are complete unkowns.

I agree that next year, UD has a pretty solid class coming in...however, so does almost every other team in the A10...

PM Thor
03-13-2008, 06:11 PM
I just popped over there, just to see what was up with the losers.

First, some idiot said that X has a player who is 21 and can't read.

Yeah, sure idiot. The likes of Sister Rose would let that happen. Way to besmirch the Church.

Second, they once again blame the refs.

Nothing new. Whiners, Cryers, Bitchers, Flyers.

Third, next years recruits are going to change the season for dayton!

Same old, same old. These people really are just straight up stupid.

Stonebreaker
03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
What is the general thought on how good UD will be next year?

boozehound
03-13-2008, 07:57 PM

That's all well and good. Paul Williams is a good recruit. Marcus Johnson is starting to show promise. I just don't get how losing Roberts and swapping in a freshman makes the team that much better. I certainly don't see how adding Paul Williams, while Xavier is adding Brad Redford, Brian Walsh, and Cheeks Lyons at guard and Kenny Frease and Jamel McClean at forward, while returning Dante Jackson, Derrick Brown, CJ Anderson, Jason Love, BJ Raymond and AD Graves leads UD fans to think that they are going to be better than X next year. Losing Burrell, Lavendar, and Duncan will hurt some, but we all thought that losing Cage, Cole, and Doellman would kill us too. The only position I am really worried about is PG. Losing Burrell's defense will suck, but Dante seems more than willing to become a defensive stopper. We should have plenty of talent in the front court. Personally, I see the disparity between XU and UD getting even wider next year.

AdamtheFlyer
03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
That's all well and good. Paul Williams is a good recruit. Marcus Johnson is starting to show promise. I just don't get how losing Roberts and swapping in a freshman makes the team that much better. I certainly don't see how adding Paul Williams, while Xavier is adding Brad Redford, Brian Walsh, and Cheeks Lyons at guard and Kenny Frease and Jamel McClean at forward, while returning Dante Jackson, Derrick Brown, CJ Anderson, Jason Love, BJ Raymond and AD Graves leads UD fans to think that they are going to be better than X next year. Losing Burrell, Lavendar, and Duncan will hurt some, but we all thought that losing Cage, Cole, and Doellman would kill us too. The only position I am really worried about is PG. Losing Burrell's defense will suck, but Dante seems more than willing to become a defensive stopper. We should have plenty of talent in the front court. Personally, I see the disparity between XU and UD getting even wider next year.

Oh, I agree, saying we'll be better than Xavier is dumb. We have to prove we're at their level before making that claim, and we're not at Xavier's level.

The gap may widen, but if that occurs, it will be because Xavier becomes better than they are today. Because Dayton will be at least as good as they are now, IMO. Losing Roberts may hurt early on, but this team will have a vastly different look and feel. The only player on the team that won't be an above average athlete will be Huelsman. Wright, Johnson, Little, Warren, Williams, Chris Johnson, Searcy, Josh Benson, Perry, Thomas, and even the guys who I don't think will see the floor much...Thiago and Fabrizius...will be good athletes for a big.

Defensively and rebounding, next year's team has a chance to be the best Dayton team I've ever seen. Johnson is a very good defender and rebounder, Wright is good and has the ability to make unreal plays on defense as well as lock down the glass, Little plays good defense and rebounds well when he wants to. Huelsman is a slightly above average defender, and should improve. Williams has the reputation as one of the better pure defenders in the midwest region in next year's class. Warren plays good on ball defense and makes plays. Perry has shown promise both on defense and on the glass. This years team has had moments of defensive brilliance, but all in all, is just a bit above average IMO.

Marcus Johnson is a hell of a player, and he's only a sophomore. He won't be the scorer Roberts is, but to be blunt, I think he'll be a better all-around player. I love BRob, but he's only average defensively and has averaged quickness. Marcus is great on the glass, great attacking the rim, plays good (and improving) defense, and his jumper gets better all the time. I really love the fact that he'll be here for two more years. He and Wright together and healthy could be a scary good tandem.

nuts4xu
03-13-2008, 09:30 PM
next year's team has a chance to be the best Dayton team I've ever seen.

No offense Adam, but I could have pulled this quote from udpride from any year the past 20. I hear this from dayton fans every year, yet each year ud continues to trot out stiffs like Kurt Hugestiffsman, Jimmie Binnie, Mickey Perry, and London Warren who only prove Brian Gregory can't recruit or coach to safe his life.

How long will ud fans tolerate the terrible coaching of Gregory and his staff? If Miller had lost 6 straight times to ud, I don't think he would have made it back on the plane from Atlantic City. His office would be packed and shipped to his house before the team finished with their post game showers. Losing to ANY team 6 times in 2 years should be grounds to discuss firing a guy. When you lose that many times to your big brother, the coach isn't welcome back on the plane to come home from the tournament. He blows even more than Oliver Purnell and now Xavier is in his head.

AdamtheFlyer
03-13-2008, 09:45 PM
No offense Adam, but I could have pulled this quote from udpride from any year the past 20. I hear this from dayton fans every year, yet each year ud continues to trot out stiffs like Kurt Hugestiffsman, Jimmie Binnie, Mickey Perry, and London Warren who only prove Brian Gregory can't recruit or coach to safe his life.

How long will ud fans tolerate the terrible coaching of Gregory and his staff? If Miller had lost 6 straight times to ud, I don't think he would have made it back on the plane from Atlantic City. His office would be packed and shipped to his house before the team finished with their post game showers. Losing to ANY team 6 times in 2 years should be grounds to discuss firing a guy. When you lose that many times to your big brother, the coach isn't welcome back on the plane to come home from the tournament. He blows even more than Oliver Purnell and now Xavier is in his head.

You pigeonholed my sentence! I said defensively and on the glass, they have a chance to be the best Dayton team I've seen.

The rest of your post is garbage, and not worthy of a response. It's an opinion, and a tired, simpleton one at that. Embarrassingly weak smack talk, even worse than usual from you.

Kahns Krazy
03-14-2008, 12:50 AM
You pigeonholed my sentence! I said defensively and on the glass, they have a chance to be the best Dayton team I've seen.

The rest of your post is garbage, and not worthy of a response. It's an opinion, and a tired, simpleton one at that. Embarrassingly weak smack talk, even worse than usual from you.

Simpleton is a noun.

DC Muskie
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Personally I think Dayton will have a solid team next year. Who knows what the freshmen will bring, I tend not to expect much from them.

Johnson and a healthy Wright are the keys. Dayton will play great defense, but they will need someone to direct the show. Not sure they have that guy on the roster.

boozehound
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Adam, I don't know that I would call London Warren an above average anything. That guy is terrible.

xeus
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Dayton will be at least as good as they are now, IMO.

Well we'll all look forward to that Adam.

boozehound
03-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Hopefully they will be able to find another starter that can match Jimmy Binnie's production.

XU0001
03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know if Binnie has a younger brother who might be interested in playing for UD? Looking at the picture of the Binnie family it looks like he may have siblings, I wonder what it would cost to get one of them to accept a scholarship up there. Maybe we could start a fund for it so the tradition will continue.

Raoul Duke
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
The only player on the team that won't be an above average athlete will be Huelsman. Wright, Johnson, Little, Warren, Williams, Chris Johnson, Searcy, Josh Benson, Perry, Thomas, and even the guys who I don't think will see the floor much...Thiago and Fabrizius...

It should read:

The only player[s] on the team that won't be an above average athlete will be Huelsman[,] Wright, Johnson, Little, Warren, Williams, Chris Johnson, Searcy, Josh Benson, Perry, Thomas, and even the guys who I don't think will see the floor much...Thiago and Fabrizius...

jdm2000
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
UD is going to have some serious minutes to replace. Sandoval did an underrated job stepping in. Binnie may well be addition by subtraction. Still, when you look at it, you have two pretty darn good players coming back (Wright and Johnson), two more who are limited (Little and Huelsman, though Little is quite a bit better) and a PG who can't shoot and has as many TO's as assists (LW). Added to them: A bunch of freshmen and guys who didn't really contribute much this year.

I think UD is going to be hard-pressed to duplicate their win total from this year.

jdm2000
03-14-2008, 07:57 PM
You know, I tend to give the Flyers the benefit of the doubt. But then I saw the most recent bush league thread posted about Burrell at the A10 board (as if losing to a good St. Joe's team in the semis is a travesty). My sympathy is gone. That POS program deserves all the crap it gets and all the misery it inflicts on its fans.

AdamtheFlyer
03-15-2008, 10:32 AM
You know, I tend to give the Flyers the benefit of the doubt. But then I saw the most recent bush league thread posted about Burrell at the A10 board (as if losing to a good St. Joe's team in the semis is a travesty). My sympathy is gone. That POS program deserves all the crap it gets and all the misery it inflicts on its fans.

Which is exactly why I started the thread. How is it any different than the Jimmy Binnie society, and the countless UD trash talking posts that Xavier fans create? Brian Roberts is a quitter, a loser, and everything else...

It's the same thing. But in your mind one is bush league, while the other is perfectly acceptable.

That's blatant and disturbing hypocrisy. I had intentions of pointing that out, and it's working. Not only over there, but on here (a completely separate board) as well. If you're not adult enough to take it, stay at the kiddie table and don't dish it out.

jdm2000
03-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry, if it's bush I'm going to call it bush. Are there plenty of threads like that started by X fans? Yes. Do I start them? No. That's not my bag--but thanks for assuming that it is and calling me a hypocrite without bothering to check that out. Methinks my disappointment comes from a Flyer fan that seemed reasonable and worth talking to turning out to be like any other UDPride poster. Ah well.

xeus
03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
It's the same thing. But in your mind one is bush league, while the other is perfectly acceptable.

That's blatant and disturbing hypocrisy. I had intentions of pointing that out, and it's working. Not only over there, but on here (a completely separate board) as well. If you're not adult enough to take it, stay at the kiddie table and don't dish it out.

Disturbing? Really Adam? So you've been disturbed by the "hypocrisy" you find on fan message boards? Get a grip kid. Don't be "that guy" on this board.

By the way, I saw Jimmie Binnie on the side of the road today (I-471). Not sure what he was doing there, he was just kind of standing in the rain looking sad and orange.

AdamtheFlyer
03-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Disturbing? Really Adam? So you've been disturbed by the "hypocrisy" you find on fan message boards? Get a grip kid. Don't be "that guy" on this board.

By the way, I saw Jimmie Binnie on the side of the road today (I-471). Not sure what he was doing there, he was just kind of standing in the rain looking sad and orange.

You're calling me "that guy" and then using the "it's only a message board" excuse? That's freely admitting...nah, you wouldn't understand. You've dug yourself so deep, you can't remember when you passed delusional.

AdamtheFlyer
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry, if it's bush I'm going to call it bush. Are there plenty of threads like that started by X fans? Yes. Do I start them? No. That's not my bag--but thanks for assuming that it is and calling me a hypocrite without bothering to check that out. Methinks my disappointment comes from a Flyer fan that seemed reasonable and worth talking to turning out to be like any other UDPride poster. Ah well.

Fair enough. I'll concede your point. I apologize.

(See that folks, that's how you both dish it out and take it back.)

xeus
03-15-2008, 11:19 AM
You're calling me "that guy" and then using the "it's only a message board" excuse? That's freely admitting...nah, you wouldn't understand. You've dug yourself so deep, you can't remember when you passed delusional.

By "that guy" I meant don't be the self-righteous, overly dramatic UD fan who, for whatever reason, takes up the mantle of pointing out to everyone else in the world just how hypocritical they are.

And I love the delusional comment! Good stuff.

AdamtheFlyer
03-15-2008, 11:37 AM
By "that guy" I meant don't be the self-righteous, overly dramatic UD fan who, for whatever reason, takes up the mantle of pointing out to everyone else in the world just how hypocritical they are.

And I love the delusional comment! Good stuff.

By hypocritical, I meant don't be the self-righteous, overly dramatic X fan who, for whatever reason, takes up the mantle of pointing out to everyone else in the world just how much everything about UD sucks, and then cries when someone points something out about the beloved Xavier team.

So yes, for many X fans, delusional and hypocritical fits the bill.

DC Muskie
03-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Which is exactly why I started the thread. How is it any different than the Jimmy Binnie society.

I'll let most things past, but I will not have to insinuate that the Jimmy Binnie Society with a Capital "S" is some sort of mockery. It is a true group of fans dedicated to living out the example of our basketball challenged hero.

That and it's a hell of lot funnier then talking about someone screwing something. But that's just me.

DC Muskie
03-15-2008, 11:44 AM
delusional and hypocritical.

This sits at the top of my "skills" section on my resume.

xeus
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Adam, I'd love to continue this inane conversation with you, but I am spending the day doing pretty much nothing. Jimmie would have wanted it that way.

AdamtheFlyer
03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I was going to apply for membership, but I have things that have to be done. Damn!

xeus
03-15-2008, 11:58 AM
I was going to apply for membership, but I have things that have to be done. Damn!

That's OK - Jimmie had things he was supposed to do also. Jimmie just didn't do them. For this we honor him.

jdm2000
03-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Fair enough. I'll concede your point. I apologize.

(See that folks, that's how you both dish it out and take it back.)

It's all good.

Things are certainly bouncing the right way for bubble teams (including UD)....UNC pulled one out against Va. Tech that they probably shouldn't have.