PDA

View Full Version : Steve Lavin out at St. John's

smileyy
03-27-2015, 08:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12569821/st-john-red-storm-cut-ties-steve-lavin

Masterofreality
03-27-2015, 08:24 PM
Who ever they get next will be an improvement.

XUFan09
03-28-2015, 01:53 AM
Who ever they get next will be an improvement.
They could do worse. Lavin wasn't bad but was the definition of mediocrity, meaning there's definitely a chance to come out the worse for wear.

I support it 100%, though. Screw those posters on HLOH questioning this because of the risk associated with giving up "consistency." Consistently average? No, this is high-D1 basketball at a program with a great history. Two tournament appearances and zero postseason wins in five years doesn't cut it, especially when the cupboard started off full. Yeah, you risk being worse off by moving on, but there's no success in mediocrity and this next season was going to be rough, regardless.

Juice
03-28-2015, 01:58 AM
They could do worse. Lavin wasn't bad but was the definition of mediocrity, meaning there's definitely a chance to come out the worse for wear.

I support it 100%, though. Screw those posters on HLOH questioning this because of the risk associated with giving up "consistency." Consistently average? No, this is high-D1 basketball at a program with a great history. Two tournament appearances and zero postseason wins in five years doesn't cut it, especially when the cupboard started off full. Yeah, you risk being worse off by moving on, but there's no success in mediocrity and this next season was going to be rough, regardless.

Somehow he had tons of recruiting momentum and all it equaled was ineligible players and underachievement. He brought some stability but in no way was capable of bringing them up a notch.

I find the HLOH people to be unrealistic and a little irrational. They drink the Big East Kool Aid a little too much.

XUFan09
03-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Somehow he had tons of recruiting momentum and all it equaled was ineligible players and underachievement. He brought some stability but in no way was capable of bringing them up a notch.

I find the HLOH people to be unrealistic and a little irrational. They drink the Big East Kool Aid a little too much.
They are quick to demonize anyone who has concerns about the conference's success. Also, the same ones concerned about replacing Lavin were also concerned about firing Purnell. Seriously. These guys better not be in any positions where they have to take risks as part of their jobs.

bleedXblue
03-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Maybe Pointer is looking for a new home.

smileyy
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
I'm not familiar with HLOH?

Any serious program with a coaching vacancy would do well to throw a bunch of money at Archie Miller. But maybe that's me wanting to like the guy but finding myself unable to due to his current association.

xavierj
03-28-2015, 12:10 PM
The right guy can compete for national championships at St. John's. I can't believe they have not had a ton of success over the past 20 years.

xufan02
03-28-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe Pointer is looking for a new home.

He was a senior.

XUFan09
03-28-2015, 01:09 PM
I'm not familiar with HLOH?

Any serious program with a coaching vacancy would do well to throw a bunch of money at Archie Miller. But maybe that's me wanting to like the guy but finding myself unable to due to his current association.
Holy Land of Hoops, the Big East forum. I like it, but it does have its flaws.

JTG
03-28-2015, 01:30 PM
The right guy can compete for national championships at St. John's. I can't believe they have not had a ton of success over the past 20 years.
I would think one of the Hurley's would be a perfect fit. Definitely not Chris Mullin, that would be a huge mistake.

sirthought
03-28-2015, 01:38 PM
I never paid much attention to St. John's. They always had a competitive team, so they served their purpose on the schedule.

The worst part of this current situation is we may be having to listening to Steve Lavin the broadcaster again. I used to get so sick of his rambling during games as an analyst, I would turn off the volume.

X-Fan
03-28-2015, 01:43 PM
I never paid much attention to St. John's. They always had a competitive team, so they served their purpose on the schedule.

The worst part of this current situation is we may be having to listening to Steve Lavin the broadcaster again. I used to get so sick of his rambling during games as an analyst, I would turn off the volume.
This. He goes in the category of former coached who were not good coaches but constantly reference "when I was a coach..." You know what? You were a crappy coach, so refencing it doesn't really enhance your point that well.

XUFan09
03-28-2015, 01:50 PM
This. He goes in the category of former coached who were not good coaches but constantly reference "when I was a coach..." You know what? You were a crappy coach, so refencing it doesn't really enhance your point that well.

Like Seth Greenberg!

D-West & PO-Z
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Ha my dad always gets so mad when they refer to Herm Edwards as coach on ESPN. He's like no you were a coach, a mediocre one at best, that is why ypu are on ESPN. You are not a coach.

smileyy
03-28-2015, 02:15 PM
TIL that it was Jim Harrick, not Steve Lavin that won the title at UCLA.

JTG
03-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Like Seth Greenberg!

This. Greenburg was a shitty coach, at best. I heard Dan Dakich interviewing Jeff Goodman yesterday about coaches. Buzz Williams name came up from Goodman as a good coach, to which Dakich replied, What is the media fascination with Buzz Williams ? I wanted to scream, "the same fascination that you, Dan, have with that tool Greenburg, who couldn't beat a CYO team".

XUFan09
03-28-2015, 02:40 PM
This. Greenburg was a shitty coach, at best. I heard Dan Dakich interviewing Jeff Goodman yesterday about coaches. Buzz Williams name came up from Goodman as a good coach, to which Dakich replied, What is the media fascination with Buzz Williams ? I wanted to scream, "the same fascination that you, Dan, have with that tool Greenburg, who couldn't beat a CYO team".

Besides his actual coaching ability, his scheduling was abysmal. Year after year, he was on the wrong side of the bubble because he scheduled a shitty non-conference slate and then proceeded to put together a mediocre conference performance. Then he would think that "the one big win" (e.g. Duke at home) would carry his team into the tournament. No, Seth, no. It's embarrassing how little you understand what you need to do to make the tournament.

DC Muskie
03-28-2015, 03:12 PM

Ha. Well Dan and Seth have a ton of experience in the NIT, so they probably didn't see much of Buzz, who was going to Sweet 16 and such.

Juice
03-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Besides his actual coaching ability, his scheduling was abysmal. Year after year, he was on the wrong side of the bubble because he scheduled a shitty non-conference slate and then proceeded to put together a mediocre conference performance. Then he would think that "the one big win" (e.g. Duke at home) would carry his team into the tournament. No, Seth, no. It's embarrassing how little you understand what you need to do to make the tournament.

And then Vitale would scream how it was an embarrassment when the committee wouldn't put Va Tech in. It's as shameful as rants on Boeheim in the last month or so.

bobbiemcgee
03-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I would think one of the Hurley's would be a perfect fit. Definitely not Chris Mullin, that would be a huge mistake.

Danny Hurley would be da man. Recruiting right back in his own backyard.

DC Muskie
03-28-2015, 08:22 PM
I'd love to see Mark Jackson frankly. Danny Hurely can return to SH when they can Willard.

Masterofreality
03-28-2015, 08:46 PM
I'd love to see Mark Jackson frankly. Danny Hurely can return to SH when they can Willard.

I also like Jackson, on X's and O's. I don't know how much he wants to get into the recruiting wars, though.

Not working out too well at Rutgers with a former NBA coach, and then there's Bob Hill.

DC Muskie
03-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Not working out too well at Rutgers with a former NBA coach, and then there's Bob Hill.

Rutgers and Fordham aren't exactly the best places to try and win, and then combine them with mediocre coaches, then this is the result you get.

Masterofreality
03-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Rutgers and Fordham aren't exactly the best places to try and win, and then combine them with mediocre coaches, then this is the result you get.

No doubt. I just always wonder about these guys' desire to sit in high school gyms in the summer watching AAU games after they've flown on private jets.

DC Muskie
03-28-2015, 09:12 PM
No doubt. I just always wonder about these guys' desire to sit in high school gyms in the summer watching AAU games after they've flown on private jets.

I think they like earning a paycheck and retelling stories of the great players they got to watch from the bench.

dnnrobert
03-29-2015, 05:00 PM
St. John's has offered the job to Chris Mullin, per the SportsCenter Facebook page.

XUOFM
03-29-2015, 06:48 PM
St. John's has offered the job to Chris Mullin, per the SportsCenter Facebook page.

Ya, seems like it is official that Chris Mullin will be the new coach. I'm not too sure about this hire. It reminds me of the University of Houston hiring Clyde Drexler and ND hiring Charlie Weis. Both of those guys brought a lot of name recognition to the schools but were never able to translate that into success on the court/field. But who knows, maybe it will work out this time!

Either way, GO XU!

bleedXblue
03-29-2015, 08:07 PM
This is a colossal f up. Who the hell is making decisions at St John's? You think 17 year old kids know who Chris Mullin is? Well the bright side is they can now compete for the bottom of the conference with DePaul every year.

GIMMFD
03-29-2015, 09:26 PM
This is a colossal f up. Who the hell is making decisions at St John's? You think 17 year old kids know who Chris Mullin is? Well the bright side is they can now compete for the bottom of the conference with DePaul every year.

Oh, it gets even better. At least they didn't hire this guy:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12583438/metta-world-peace-expressed-interest-st-john-job

LadyMuskie
03-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Are there two Chris Mullinses out there? Maybe the one I don't know about has experience coaching a major college basketball team. What a bizarre hire.

LadyMuskie
03-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Oh, it gets even better. At least they didn't hire this guy:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12583438/metta-world-peace-expressed-interest-st-john-job

How would players refer to him had he been hired? Coach Peace. Coach World Peace? The coach formerly known as Artest?

bleedXblue
03-30-2015, 07:21 AM
If you're a St. Johns fan, how do you feel about this? I know Mullin is a legend at St Johns, but bringing no coaching experience to the table? Wow. It would be like Xavier hiring Byron Larkin......

NY44
03-30-2015, 07:58 AM
If you're a St. Johns fan, how do you feel about this? I know Mullin is a legend at St Johns, but bringing no coaching experience to the table? Wow. It would be like Xavier hiring Byron Larkin......

I know a few and they're ecstatic about it. They expect this move to bring a lot of money back to the program and for Mullin to own NYC recruiting.

I think it would be more like Xavier hiring David West. No coaching experience is definitely a concern. However, having played at all levels, including the Olympic level, has to help. There's really no telling though.

Juice
03-30-2015, 08:20 AM
I love how Depaul and St. John's both made coaching hires during the same week that will ensure that Xavier doesn't have to be scared of either program for the next 3 to 4 years.

I'm honestly convinced I could be an athletic director.

Xville
03-30-2015, 08:41 AM
It's an interesting hire thats for sure. It could turn out to be good, it could turn out to be extremely bad. I liken it to moving an employee into a management role. They may be a good employee, but they may or may not be able to lead and you don't really know until that person is put into the position...you can hypothesize but thats about it.

JTG
03-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Are there two Chris Mullinses out there? Maybe the one I don't know about has experience coaching a major college basketball team. What a bizarre hire.

Thanks for giving me a chuckle today. Evidently, the larger the city, NY & Chicago, the dumber you need to be to run a sports program, ( DePaul & St Johns).

NY44
03-30-2015, 08:47 AM
I love how Depaul and St. John's both made coaching hires during the same week that will ensure that Xavier doesn't have to be scared of either program for the next 3 to 4 years.

I'm split on this. Part of me is happy to see a competitor go into turmoil. Another part knows that for the BE is to be a power conference, we need our teams to be good.

But DePaul, get the hell out of our conference. I can't believe they passed on Bobby Hurley.

GoMuskies
03-30-2015, 08:50 AM
I can't believe they passed on Bobby Hurley.

I don't think they passed on Hurley. I think Hurley passed on them.

RoseyMuskie
03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Go - Correct. Drew and Hurley both passed because they did not guarantee that they would retain Billy Garrett's father, who was an assistant under Purnell, and essentially hired to get BG.

I believe both Drew and Hurley indicated that they'd consider keeping him, but wanted the ability to choose their own staff.

In typical DePaul fashion, they made an incredibly short-sighted decision.

nuts4xu
03-30-2015, 09:04 AM
The one plus I see for Mullins is he has at least been a general manager. This is much different than being a coach, but he did get to see what he likes and doesn't like about a coach to assess their job performance. It would be far worse had he come in off the street after being out of the industry for 2 decades. He also had some responsibility supervising the college and overseas scouting program with Sacramento.

While he hasn't ever held a coaching position, it seems he has had some jobs that would help train you for what to do as a head coach.

I don't think this is as big of a disaster as people are making it seem.

NY44
03-30-2015, 09:11 AM
I don't think they passed on Hurley. I think Hurley passed on them.

I stand corrected. Maybe just Buffalo fans overreacting, but the headline I saw from the Buffalo News was "Bobby Hurley Wants DePaul Job 'Badly'"

Masterofreality
03-30-2015, 09:49 AM
Interesting article.

Would Book entertain a move back to NYC as an Assistant? That would put a huge hole in the Raccon's staff.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/2015/03/chris-mullin-returns-to-coach-st-johns/

GoMuskies
03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Interesting article.

Would Book entertain a move back to NYC as an Assistant? That would put a huge hole in the Raccon's staff.

It's hard to take anything in the article TOO seriously when the author says things like this:

"Names like Danny Hurley and Steve Masiello were bandied about, not only for their ties to NYC, but because both have also engaged in program overhauls and are now leading two of the top mid-major programs in Division I."

What?!? No, they're not.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-30-2015, 02:49 PM
I am hearing no, Richardson not offered HC but Assistant and he is staying in Az for the time being.

Meanwhile, Lavin has interest here but in Tempe at ASU. I heard it's Capel's to turn down but they have also reached out to Pastner.

Interesting article.

ArizonaXUGrad
03-30-2015, 02:51 PM
Masiello can coach, guy just lied on his resume but is fixing that. Up to the college if they are willing to look by it.

It's hard to take anything in the article TOO seriously when the author says things like this:

"Names like Danny Hurley and Steve Masiello were bandied about, not only for their ties to NYC, but because both have also engaged in program overhauls and are now leading two of the top mid-major programs in Division I."

What?!? No, they're not.

GoMuskies
03-30-2015, 02:53 PM
Masiello is okay, but Manhattan is most certainly not one of the top mid-major programs in Division I.

X-band '01
03-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Masiello can coach, guy just lied on his resume but is fixing that. Up to the college if they are willing to look by it.

He already got his degree from Kentucky last summer. Manhattan wouldn't have let him come back without getting major media scrutiny.

waggy
03-30-2015, 03:45 PM
So Masiello is okay other than being a liar?

GoMuskies
03-30-2015, 03:48 PM
So Masiello is okay other than being a liar?

He's a total zero as a person. He's okay as a coach.

Masterofreality
03-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Done deal. Mullin's in.

@GoodmanESPN: St. John's is bringing back former star Chris Mullin as head coach, sources told ESPN. Deal is done.

GIMMFD
03-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Damn, was still hoping for an outside shot at Metta World Peace, could you imagine the press conferences? That would have been comedic gold.

sirthought
03-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Damn, was still hoping for an outside shot at Metta World Peace, could you imagine the press conferences? That would have been comedic gold.

OMG -- That would be pure gold.

And can you imagine the conversations with parents during recruiting trips?

Masterofreality
03-31-2015, 02:53 PM
Good start for Mullin in building a staff. Stole Iowa State's lead recruiter with deep New York ties.

"@NYPost_Brazille: Scout's @EvanDaniels calls Matt Abdelmassih hire by Chris Mullin "tremendous," said it gives staff immediate credibility in area. #sjubb"

xukeith
03-31-2015, 03:00 PM
talent no longer is in NYC says "experts".

Can see C Mullin having trouble in January coaching teams how to switch from man to man to zone to press, the out of bounds plays, etc. Interesting hire...never coached a game ever.