PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Purnell out at DePaul

BMoreX
03-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 10m10 minutes ago

DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell has resigned after five seasons, per the school SID.

Xavgrad08
03-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Will be interesting who they hire. I would imagine Ben Howland will get strong consideration.

XU 87
03-14-2015, 03:24 PM
I would hire Ben in a second. He has been very successful at every place he's coached.

Masterofreality
03-14-2015, 03:37 PM
i would hire ben in a second. He has been very successful at every place he's coached.

archie!!!!!

D-West & PO-Z
03-14-2015, 03:49 PM
I would hire Ben in a second. He has been very successful at every place he's coached.

Yeah same and get him off FS1, he is terrible.

xudash
03-14-2015, 03:55 PM
archie!!!!!

Ha! No, you don't understand: continuing to demonstrate his overall effectiveness, as well as his love for Xavier, Mike Bobinski hires Archie to replace BG. I think that would be hilarious.

XU 87
03-14-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't think G Tech can afford to fire Gregory. He's under contract until 2017. Incredibly, Paul Hewitt also has a contract through 2017. Gregory owes getting and keeping his job to Hewitt.

94GRAD
03-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Read on twitter- 27 years coaching, 0 NCAA wins, 0 times fired. That's impressive.

joe titan
03-14-2015, 07:49 PM
IF Archie leaves, Purnell is quite welcome @ UD

X Factor
03-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Read on twitter- 27 years coaching, 0 NCAA wins, 0 times fired. That's impressive.

Hahaha

chico
03-14-2015, 09:05 PM
I don't think G Tech can afford to fire Gregory. He's under contract until 2017. Incredibly, Paul Hewitt also has a contract through 2017. Gregory owes getting and keeping his job to Hewitt.

87's right. The program has no money. Gregory was the only coach they could afford.

wkrq59
03-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Why in heavens name would anybody want the DePaul job????

XU 87
03-14-2015, 11:31 PM

I read somewhere that it pays about 1.5 milion per year. Even if it pays only a million per year, I'll take the job.

xsteve1
03-14-2015, 11:32 PM

A million plus a year in a good league with a new arena on the way in a great town with fertile recruiting grounds. The right guy can win there. Ray Meyer sure did.

wkrq59
03-14-2015, 11:44 PM
A million plus a year in a good league with a new arena on the way in a great town with fertile recruiting grounds. The right guy can win there. Ray Meyer sure did.

Another century, a different game. If the ground is so fertile for recruits, why didn't the coaches who followed Ray succeed? Even Tony Yates brought better players to Illinois and UC than Meyer's successors
:overheated::jig:

LA Muskie
03-15-2015, 02:40 AM
It's a Big East school in a basketball hotbed. It won't happen overnight, but if a small school in Providence, RI can have a resurgence with the right coach, then certainly the same can happen in Chicago.

PS: I'm going to miss Purnell. He seems like a very good guy who really cares about his players. Unfortunately, those are secondary traits at this level.

Masterofreality
03-15-2015, 07:49 AM

Ray Meyer was there for about 2 Billion years, and he had a large number of bad years that would not have been tolerated today.

Between George Mikan and Mark Aguirre, There were lots of lean years.

JTG
03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
If Chicago is such a fertile recruiting ground why do Loyola, DePaul,Northwestern, Illinois, Bradley, UIC...want me to continue....all suck ?

paulxu
03-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Cause all those kids want to go play somewhere that it's warm?

X-Fan
03-15-2015, 08:03 AM

I agree that there is huge potential. Salary, market, new arena, and FS1 exposure should be very attractive to a coach. Maybe Hurley takes the job?

American X
03-15-2015, 08:20 AM
DePaul needs to do the adult thing like the other programs in the Big East and play in the local NBA arena (for free!). Playing at McCormick Place(!?!?) is not a magic bullet that will boost their program.

bleedXblue
03-15-2015, 09:01 AM
You go for a good young coach who can recruit. Howland? Huge mistake. Archie is going to get a big time job somewhere if he waits for the right one.

RoseyMuskie
03-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Another century, a different game. If the ground is so fertile for recruits, why didn't the coaches who followed Ray succeed? Even Tony Yates brought better players to Illinois and UC than Meyer's successors
:overheated::jig:

Kennedy recruited the area well. Just couldn't coach a lick. Lavin is a good comparison.

Also brought in some guys of questionable character.

Juice
03-15-2015, 10:06 AM
DePaul needs to do the adult thing like the other programs in the Big East and play in the local NBA arena (for free!). Playing at McCormick Place(!?!?) is not a magic bullet that will boost their program.

Well they tricked Chicago tax payers into paying 100 million dollars for their new arena

XUFan09
03-15-2015, 10:21 AM
If Chicago is such a fertile recruiting ground why do Loyola, DePaul,Northwestern, Illinois, Bradley, UIC...want me to continue....all suck ?
Loyola, Bradley, and UIC are all mid-majors. I wasn't aware that Illinois "sucked," considering that they were a top 50 team the last two years and a bubble team this year. Northwestern is rebuilding under Chris Collins and they are finally getting good recruits.

xsteve1
03-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Ray Meyer was there for about 2 Billion years, and he had a large number of bad years that would not have been tolerated today.

Between George Mikan and Mark Aguirre, There were lots of lean years.

Joey Meyer had some decent success there till his last couple of years. Pat Kennedy brought in a monster class 10-15 years ago but he was just an awful coach. Dave Leito (58-34 from 03-05) actually did fairly well and was hired away by Virginia. Jerry Wainwright and Purnell have created a mess.

BMoreX
03-22-2015, 09:33 PM
@WndyCtyBsktball: Have heard DePaul may be moving off of Ben Howland now and pursuing Bobby Hurley.

usfldan
03-22-2015, 09:56 PM
@WndyCtyBsktball: Have heard DePaul may be moving off of Ben Howland now and pursuing Bobby Hurley.

It sound like Howland may be trying to leverage DePaul and Mississippi State against each other:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/source-ben-howland-is-considering-taking-mississippi-state/

I like these quotes about his search:

“He’s considering anything that is open at a Division 1 high level,” the source said.
A second source said, “Howland is interested if they are willing to pay.”

bleedXblue
03-23-2015, 05:32 AM

Smart, smart move. They just got done with 5 years of what Howland will bring. No disrespect to either guy, but they should go young with a guy who can recruit. Hurley may be too smart to take DePaul. He and Archie and going to get some really good looks in the next month or so. I have a feeling IU and Texas are close to pulling the trigger.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Yeah. I'd go with Hurley. Howland gives me the impression of a cranky, washed up Danny Née.

paulxu
03-23-2015, 07:32 AM
Bobby Hurley? or Danny Hurley.

Juice
03-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Yeah. I'd go with Hurley. Howland gives me the impression of a cranky, washed up Danny Née.

And his style of play is boring and holds back really talented players.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 07:42 AM
Bobby Hurley? or Danny Hurley.

Bobby....from Buffalo.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 07:44 AM
And his style of play is boring and holds back really talented players.

....And Bill Walton HATES him!

paulxu
03-23-2015, 07:46 AM
Danny has 5 yrs as head coach, Bobby has 2. Wouldn't Danny make more sense? Or is it like Wojo, they want a Duke guard.

XU 87
03-23-2015, 07:47 AM

Ben Howland won the Pac-10 and about 25 games his last year at UCLA. The year before he had the top rated recruiting class in the country. UCLA apparently still thinks they should win the NCAA every year.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Danny has 5 yrs as head coach, Bobby has 2. Wouldn't Danny make more sense? Or is it like Wojo, they want a Duke guard.

Danny is building a pretty good gig at Rhodee. Probably not interested in leaving the Northeast. Bobby has taken Buffalo from nowhere in two years.

paulxu
03-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Maybe they should back the truck up for Archie.

EastCoastXman
03-23-2015, 08:04 AM
If you have heard Ben Howland on TV, he still refers to us as "egg-avier". Can't have a Big East coach disrespecting us like that. It'sbad enough that as an announcer he can't get it right!

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Latest this morning is that Howland is "close" to a deal with Mississippi State.

Muskie
03-23-2015, 08:18 AM
I think that would be a terrific fit.

muskiefan82
03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Dayton, as painful as this is to say, is a better job than Depaul. They can be the cream of the A-10 and potentially get home games in the play in round year after year.

XU 87
03-23-2015, 09:06 AM

I was thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me- If OSU makes a shot at the end of the game last year, or UD loses one more game this year, or Boise State makes one more shot, is everyone talking about how great Archie Miller is?

paulxu
03-23-2015, 09:08 AM
Probably not. But look at Bobby Hurley making the tournament one year (certainly a great accomplishment there) and all of a sudden he's in the running.

LadyMuskie
03-23-2015, 09:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me- If OSU makes a shot at the end of the game last year, or UD loses one more game this year, or Boise State makes one more shot, is everyone talking about how great Archie Miller is?

I think Archie gets the benefit of his pedigree, kind of like JTIII, but with better results.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
@AdamZagoria: One source says Ben Howland will be introduced tomorrow as the new Mississippi State head coach

GoMuskies
03-23-2015, 10:57 AM
I cannot imagine Archie leaving Dayton for DePaul at this point. He can do better than DePaul. And even if he was told that he either had to finish his career at Dayton or finish it at DePaul, I think most rational people would choose Dayton.

bleedXblue
03-23-2015, 11:03 AM
I cannot imagine Archie leaving Dayton for DePaul at this point. He can do better than DePaul. And even if he was told that he either had to finish his career at Dayton or finish it at DePaul, I think most rational people would choose Dayton.

The UD job is better than the DePaul job.....

ArizonaXUGrad
03-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Guys, the higher paying job is the better job. DePaul does suck though. See the recent interviews and such with Izzo about the Cliff Alexander recruitment. If you think Chicago is great then fine, but recruiting talent there is tough especially when you have to deal with so many guys before you even hit the player. If you aren't willing to get dirty, you won't get top 50 Chicago talent.

I feel like we got O'Mara because he was just outside the top 100 and just didn't have the lure as some of the guys there. If I remember right, he had an academic minimum as well.

xudash
03-23-2015, 11:13 AM

You have no idea how wrong you are, at least when it comes to potential. So, to be more accurate about it, the UD job may be a better job now, as in right now, but the UD job's ceiling is close to being reached, whereas DePaul has all kinds of room for growth. Better conference, better city and soon to be better venue.

DePaul is one AD hire away from becoming a real competitive juggernaut in the very near future. For that matter, this ballgame will change dramatically when the new McCormick Place arena opens and assuming the current AD doesn't completely crap herself in her next HC hiring decision. Of course, the latter matter is the one of most concern; she apparently isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

GoMuskies
03-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Guys, the higher paying job is the better job.

So Alabama is a better job than Xavier?

muskiefan82
03-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Not in Football or basketball. X beat bama in basketball this year and X hasn't lost a football game since the 70's. Alabama lost last year. To Ohio State.

Retire33
03-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Bobby Hurley to DePaul and Danny Hurley to Seton Hall.

You heard it here first ;)

LadyMuskie
03-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Guys, the higher paying job is the better job. .

I would strongly disagree with this - even for those of us not making millions a year doing what we do.

Anyone who only considers the paycheck when making a life-altering decision like changing jobs is bound to find themselves very unhappy down the road.

nuts4xu
03-23-2015, 11:51 AM

OP has always stayed one step ahead of the firing line. He would have been canned had he stayed another year or two at UD, Clemson, or DePaul.

RealDeal
03-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Guys, the higher paying job is the better job.

Sometimes, and sometimes a school has to overpay because the job isn't that great.

EastCoastXman
03-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Danny never would go to Seton Hall. Too much bad history. Bobby on the other hand, might be a Pirate sooner than later. SHU would love to have Willard leave on his own. Word on street was a 7 year deal with a New England school was turned down by Kevin. Details on this situation will be coming in next 2 weeks.

Masterofreality
03-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Danny never would go to Seton Hall. Too much bad history. Bobby on the other hand, might be a Pirate sooner than later. SHU would love to have Willard leave on his own. Word on street was a 7 year deal with a New England school was turned down by Kevin. Details on this situation will be coming in next 2 weeks.

I heard that Holy Cross offered Kevin W.

GoMuskies
03-23-2015, 12:04 PM
I heard that Holy Cross offered Kevin W.

That would have been a good outcome for everyone involved.

And it would show that Seton Hall and HC are good trading partners. Seton Hall hired Blaney away from HC in the mid-90s.

EastCoastXman
03-23-2015, 12:05 PM
You heard right!

paulxu
03-23-2015, 01:24 PM
If Mick's medical challenges end up requiring a retirement from coaching, maybe Archie will move down 75 so he gets a chance to play us.

throwbackmuskie
03-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Speaking of Bama, heard they are going to go hard after Marshall to the tune of $3M per year.

GoMuskies
03-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Speaking of Bama, heard they are going to go hard after Marshall to the tune of $3M per year.

They're really going to drive up the price for a program that actually has a chance of landing him.

xudash
03-23-2015, 01:54 PM
If Mick's medical challenges end up requiring a retirement from coaching, maybe Archie will move down 75 so he gets a chance to play us.

Now there is a real circular reference type conundrum: UC or Dayton, which is the lessor of the two?

AAC hell?

A10.

5/3 Arena versus the sewage water storage facility up the road.

GoMuskies
03-23-2015, 01:57 PM
I'd think UC should be a better job than Dayton. Much better than DePaul for sure.

throwbackmuskie
03-23-2015, 02:03 PM
They're really going to drive up the price for a program that actually has a chance of landing him.

Never know, they have had some success down there.

X-band '01
03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Sounds like Ben Howland played DePaul perfectly to get a nice payday at Mississippi State. Wonder if Archie will do the same with the higher-ups at Dayton?

Imagine what he'll do when he gets his roster back intact for next season (although Jordan Sibert's graduation will leave a huge hole).

EastCoastXman
03-23-2015, 02:39 PM
Bill Carmody taking the Holy Cross job. Coming out of retirement down the Jersey Shore.

bleedXblue
03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Sounds like Ben Howland played DePaul perfectly to get a nice payday at Mississippi State. Wonder if Archie will do the same with the higher-ups at Dayton?

Imagine what he'll do when he gets his roster back intact for next season (although Jordan Sibert's graduation will leave a huge hole).

If Archie is smart, he gets out of dodge now. UD is going to struggle next year IMHO.