PDA

View Full Version : Big East Tourney

drudy23
03-02-2015, 10:47 AM
So being locked into the 6 seed, who's our likely first opponent in MSG?

THRILLHOUSE
03-02-2015, 10:53 AM

It's still pretty wide open from what I can tell. Here are the teams currently between #2 - #5 in conference with their remaining schedules listed (haven't looked into the tiebreaker possibilities yet).

Butler: 11-5 with vs. Gtown and @ Providence remaining
Providence: 10-6 with @ Seton Hall and vs. Butler remaining
GTown: 10-6 with @ Butler and vs. Seton Hall remaining
St. Johns: 9-7 with @ Marquette and @ Nova remaining

Even though it's tough to beat a team 3 times in a year, I'm hoping for GTown since we match up well vs. them.

Xville
03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Assuming Butler beats G'town at home and Providence goes 2-0 beating Butler at home, that means that Butler and Providence would both be 12-6. Not sure for 100% what the tie-break is but again assuming it is head to head, Providence would be the 2 seed and Butler the 3. That does not make me sleep well at night, if Chrabtiajrefdkfsdfo is back for Butler that game.

D-West & PO-Z
03-02-2015, 11:16 AM
From what I have heard that Chrabs guy wasnt supposed to be back for the BE tourney, at least not the beginning of it, if thats the case I would love to play Butler if given a choice. After Butler I would prefer Georgetown. Even if Chrabs is back if he is somewhat limited I would still prefer Butler.

xubrew
03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I think we can beat every team in this conference on a neutral floor except Nova. I'm uncharacteristically optimistic about our chances right now.

Having said that, I realize that if we win at Creighton, win in the quarters, win again in the semis, and win again in the Round of 64, a ton of people will be pissed off because of how good it will make Chris Mack look.

Xville
03-02-2015, 11:37 AM
I think we can beat every team in this conference on a neutral floor except Nova. I'm uncharacteristically optimistic about our chances right now.

Having said that, I realize that if we win at Creighton, win in the quarters, win again in the semis, and win again in the Round of 64, a ton of people will be pissed off because of how good it will make Chris Mack look.

Yeah and tomorrow I'm going to win a few million dollars in the lottery. I'd be ecstatic if what you said, actually happened. However to think this team is going to suddenly turn it on when the lights shine the brightest at msg, is a little naive in my opinion. With that said, I'd love to eat some crow...it would taste really good

xubrew
03-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Yeah and tomorrow I'm going to win a few million dollars in the lottery. I'd be ecstatic if what you said, actually happened. However to think this team is going to suddenly turn it on when the lights shine the brightest at msg, is a little naive in my opinion.

Here's the thing. If we beat Creighton, we will have beaten all the teams except Nova and Saint John's, who we lost to by one point on their home court. Granted, the Big East Tournament is at MSG, but we've shown we can play with everyone.

Providence, Butler and Georgetown are the teams that are huddled around second and third place right now. I think we can beat all three of them on a neutral floor. We just crushed Butler and they're shorthanded, we've beaten Georgetown twice, and we lost to Providence at their place in overtime.

I'm normally the pessimist, so I don't think I'm being naïve.

Chalmers0
03-02-2015, 11:51 AM
From what I have heard that Chrabs guy wasnt supposed to be back for the BE tourney, at least not the beginning of it, if thats the case I would love to play Butler if given a choice. After Butler I would prefer Georgetown. Even if Chrabs is back if he is somewhat limited I would still prefer Butler.

Chrabs is already back at practice and may play this week I believe.

D-West & PO-Z
03-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Even with Chrabs back I'd rather play Butler than Providence.

XMuskieFTW
03-02-2015, 12:08 PM

Are we locked into the 6? If seton hall wins their last two and and we lose our last game would they hold the tiebreaker or would we? Not trying to be pessimistic. Just trying to confirm so I don't buy tickets for the wrong session.

D-West & PO-Z
03-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Are we locked into the 6? If seton hall wins their last two and and we lose our last game would they hold the tiebreaker or would we? Not trying to be pessimistic. Just trying to confirm so I don't buy tickets for the wrong session.

I believe you are correct. Doesnt seem likely that SHU will win last two games but I think you are right.

EastCoastXman
03-02-2015, 12:49 PM
If we lose to Creighton and SHU wins out at home with Providence and away at Gtown then SHU takes the 6 by virtue of the tie breaker and their win against Nova. I will be at The Rock on Wednesday for SHU senior night routing for the Friars. Getting in the lower bracket as the 6 and away from Nova would be a positive draw. SHU looked awful against Creighton on Saturday and found a way to win without Gibbs (serving the 2nd game of his TKO suspension). He will be back for the last 2.

Masterofreality
03-02-2015, 01:14 PM
Good to know that Seton Hall won by looking awful. That means Creighton was worse.

I hope they are terrible next Saturday.

EastCoastXman
03-02-2015, 01:25 PM
The inability of this team to string more than a 2 game winning streak together in the BE is not very comforting. Had we not lost that game at home against St Johns, the team would have been on a 5 game win streak. How about this team doing it "The Xavier Way" and just beating Creighton and not hope for a Seton Hall loss to finish 6th. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling about winning 2-3 games in the BE tourney.

LadyMuskie
03-02-2015, 02:24 PM
I love Xavier and when this team is on they're amazing! But if we can't play a Saturday/Monday schedule without complaining about and then playing like we're exhausted, I find it hard to see how we win 3 games in 3 days. I just don't think anyone on the team from the coaches down to the managers have it in them to do. It is what is, and right now it's mediocre basketball. Maybe something will click in NYC and they'll start playing Xavier basketball.

Masterofreality
03-02-2015, 05:46 PM
You mean MCC Xavier basketball, A10 Xavier basketball or Big East Xavier basketball?

LadyMuskie
03-02-2015, 07:07 PM
At this point, win or lose, I'd just take a solid 40 minutes of excellent basketball. And I'd like those 40 minutes to be consecutive in one game - just to be clear.

Muskie
03-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Looks like Chrabascz will be back in action Tuesday.

MuskieFN
03-02-2015, 09:45 PM
I love Xavier and when this team is on they're amazing! But if we can't play a Saturday/Monday schedule without complaining about and then playing like we're exhausted, I find it hard to see how we win 3 games in 3 days. I just don't think anyone on the team from the coaches down to the managers have it in them to do. It is what is, and right now it's mediocre basketball. Maybe something will click in NYC and they'll start playing Xavier basketball.

Which game did they play exhausted in?

SemajParlor
03-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Are we locked in the 9:30 spot on Thursday?

XMuskieFTW
03-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Are we locked in the 9:30 spot on Thursday?

Not yet. The only way we would lose that spot though is if we lost to Creighton and Seton Hall beats both Providence and Georgetown to end the season.

SemajParlor
03-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Not yet. The only way we would lose that spot though is if we lost to Creighton and Seton Hall beats both Providence and Georgetown to end the season.

Ok, seems like a pretty solid chance then. If I remember last year we were the 9:30 spot. Made the mistake of not calling out work on that Friday--- was an interesting day at work.

WCWIII
03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
It's not clear how the time spots are set. For the Women's bracket, they changed the "upper bracket" for the "lower bracket" between last Saturday (when they showed the seeds and times) and then after the bracket was set. Bummer for me as I made travel arrangements so that I could attend an early game but now Xavier plays their possible 2nd game in the evening when I'm in the air.

Does anyone know how the brackets are set?

D-West & PO-Z
03-03-2015, 10:05 AM
It's not clear how the time spots are set. For the Women's bracket, they changed the "upper bracket" for the "lower bracket" between last Saturday (when they showed the seeds and times) and then after the bracket was set. Bummer for me as I made travel arrangements so that I could attend an early game but now Xavier plays their possible 2nd game in the evening when I'm in the air.

Does anyone know how the brackets are set?

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bige/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/bigeast-tourney-bracket.pdf

Says the 6 seed plays at 9:30pm Thursday.

Mel Cooley XU'81
03-03-2015, 12:48 PM
I'd be good with a 930 start.

Cooley Clan arrives LGA @1030am, so a 930pm start means an extra day of NYC.

Cool.

nasdadjr
03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm sure you guys are already all over this but Xavier really couldn't ask for a better draw. We match up so much better to both Providence and Butler rather than St. Johns, Villanova, or even Seton Hall. Even if Georgetown slips into the three line we match up even better with them so I am really liking how this tournament is shaping up for us. Of course I say that and they are more than capable of losing the first damn game but hey just saying it is a format that definitely isn't throwing us its hardest punch

D-West & PO-Z
03-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm really hoping Providence wins out and gets the 2 seed so we get either Butler or Georgetown first.

Milhouse
03-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Yeah I'd rather get Butler than Providence. I don't know that we can take down Henton and Dunn again honestly.

THRILLHOUSE
03-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Sounds like Butler-GTown went to the wire. Didn't get to see any of it since UVerse and Fox Sports 1 are in some pissing match, so UVerse is playing alternate programming on Fox Sports 1, which happens to be a Darts Tournament in this case.

X-band '01
03-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Georgetown becomes only the 2nd team to win at Butler this year.

XMuskieFTW
03-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Moves Georgetown into second with tiebreaker over butler

xavierj
03-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Georgetown becomes only the 2nd team to win at Butler this year.

3rd team (providence, nova and GTown). Also they have now lost to Georgetown three times this year.

THRILLHOUSE
03-03-2015, 08:24 PM
3rd team (providence, nova and GTown). Also they have now lost to Georgetown three times this year.

No, Butler beat Georgetown in that holiday tournament.

xavierj
03-03-2015, 08:43 PM
No, Butler beat Georgetown in that holiday tournament.

You are right, I looked at it wrong. They lost to Oklahoma.

X-band '01
03-03-2015, 08:54 PM

Forgot about Nova. They shouldn't even count when you consider that they're head and shoulders above the league the past 2 seasons.