PDA

View Full Version : Jaren Sina Has Left Seton Hall

Titanxman04
02-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Just came across twitter per multiple sources.

XUFan09
02-11-2015, 11:48 AM
http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2015/02/11/seton-hall-basketball-jaren-sina/23231845/

There's been a lot of talk about Seton Hall's lockerroom issues recently. Isaiah Whitehead actually removed all references to Seton Hall from his Twitter account after the ass-kicking they received from Georgetown last night. Here's a copy-and-paste from a Holy Land of Hoops guy from a few days ago, before these latest developments.:

Brandon mobley and Isaiah whitehead with some pretty poor public comments after another loss.

“There’s no will. Nobody cares about winning, sadly,” senior Brandon Mobley said. ”When we’re losing, when things go south, we get to pointing fingers and things like that and that’s not what good teams do. That’s what teams that lose do, and that’s what’s happening right now."

Whitehead responded via twitter saying this is no longer a team of brothers, strictly business partners.

Sounds like Seton Hall is really falling apart, chemistry-wise.

NY44
02-11-2015, 11:49 AM
They are imploding. Whitehead and Gibbs were going at it in a huddle last night.

casualfan
02-11-2015, 11:54 AM
http://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2015/02/11/seton-hall-basketball-jaren-sina/23231845/

There's been a lot of talk about Seton Hall's lockerroom issues recently. Isaiah Whitehead actually removed all references to Seton Hall from his Twitter account after the ass-kicking they received from Georgetown last night. Here's a copy-and-paste from a Holy Land of Hoops guy from a few days ago, before these latest developments.:

Brandon mobley and Isaiah whitehead with some pretty poor public comments after another loss.

“There’s no will. Nobody cares about winning, sadly,” senior Brandon Mobley said. ”When we’re losing, when things go south, we get to pointing fingers and things like that and that’s not what good teams do. That’s what teams that lose do, and that’s what’s happening right now."

Whitehead responded via twitter saying this is no longer a team of brothers, strictly business partners.

Sounds like Seton Hall is really falling apart, chemistry-wise.

This has got to be bad news for Willard. He was going to have trouble if they didn't make the tourney, but i thought their young talent might get him another year.

If the young talent is leaving...

ammtd34
02-11-2015, 11:57 AM
https://setonhall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=330&tid=178928139&mid=178928139&sid=959&style=2

Whitehead and Gibbs also fought each other. Sounds like a pretty bad situation.

BandAid
02-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Why couldn't this happen to them just one week sooner? Ugh

EastCoastXman
02-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Big feud between Whitehead and Gibbs ongoing. Gibbs thought he was "The Man" with Whitehead out with injury. Whitehead threatened to go home following last nights game. If he leaves don't be surprised to see his HS teammate D. Rodriguez go. And rumors have Delgato going to S. Florida. Was recruited hard by the Antiqua brothers and his mom is in the DR. Wow, I guess the Pirates took their parting shot for the season aat us!

XUFan09
02-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Honestly, Gibbs was "The Man." He's been in the conversation for conference player of the year. Whitehead obviously doesn't see it that way though.

EastCoastXman
02-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Exactly, and that is where the fight in the huddle started in last night's game. So Isaiah is going to take his ball and go home.

Masterofreality
02-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Exactly, and that is where the fight in the huddle started in last night's game. So Isaiah is going to take his ball and go home.

If anybody on the Board is wired in to Seton Hall more than East Coast, I don't know who it is.

East, think Whitehead will take off after this year and not hang around? Is Sina gone for good? Is Willard gone after this year? How the hell did it all go south in a two week period?

Inquiring minds want to know.

BMoreX
02-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Shu is a mess right now

spursy
02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Man if whitehead really is the problem this post makes him out to be then he has solidified a spot in my heart as my most hated player in the ncaa. The constant flopping and whining from him last week was horrible.

XUFan09
02-11-2015, 01:15 PM
So it looks like Whitehead came back, had one great game (against us, great), and then with an already big ego he wanted to take over the team. With Gibbs being a stud and Whitehead not being that efficient, it hasn't worked out too well.

GoMuskies
02-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Whitehead seems like he'd be a great New York Knick.

bleedXblue
02-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Whitehead's antics against us were bush league. I wouldn't be surprised if most of this is being created by him.

EastCoastXman
02-11-2015, 02:22 PM
It truly is Mutiny on the Bounty in S. Orange. Whitehead comment after Marq that "It is now about Business" tells you all you need to know. Word was that he was heading home after last night but no confirmation as of today. Willard touted him as a 1 and Done at the BE press conference back in October. He started the season poorly but was starting to come around in December with his playmaking and shooting but then the foot injury. naturally he shot well in his comeback game against us but was 1/11 against Marq and forcing things on the court. He and Gibbs are not getting along and the accounts of pushing in the team huddle last night are correct. Whitehead will be gone but I do not see him as NBA ready. Possibly Europe or D League.

Sina has been the scapegoat any time something goes wrong with this team. Remember, he was a decommit from Northwestern after Collins got the job. Sina's dad Mergin played at SHU and is now the head coach at Gill St Bernard School in NJ. He has had several D1 players and now has Tyus Battle. I'm sure any pipeline of local talent is now dried up with this episode.

The Pirate Blue fans have now become disenchanted with KW. He came in to clean up the mess left by Bobby "Light Fingers" Gonzales. Remember, Bobby lifted a Coach bag from the Short Hills mall after he got the axe. Bobby had some memorable players who now have numbers under their pictures and orange jump suits. Each year SHU starts off like gangbusters in the non-conference only to tank once the conference season starts. In the last 2-3 years, he has had some discipline issues and had to suspend players late in the year. This begins to look like more of the same. He closed the lockerroom to the press following last nights game. Kevin is a solid guy. I met him twice at SHU events over the past 6 months. Sometimes these 1 and done guys can mess up the chemistry. SHU had a great recruiting class that included Delgado, Desi Rodriguez, Carrington, Anthony and Sonogo. If Whitehead was not there, this would be a really good group to build with for the future. Now I think there is a big rift between the freshman and the upper classmen. It will be interesting to see if there will be more defections. Delgado was recruited heavily by the Antigua brothers at S Florida. I believe his mother is from the DR. Desi was teammate of Whitehead in HS. For now the word is that KW has a good relationship with the AD but we all know how quick that can change.

SHU is now looking at 3 game road stand with Providence, Nova and St Johns. I don't think the future is bright for the Pirates this season. I will fill you in with more details when I have them.

EastCoastXman
02-11-2015, 03:02 PM
So here is a little update on the Sina, Gibbs Whitehead issue. It goes back to the SHU Marq game. SHU with the ball and down 1 with under 30 seconds. Willard draws up play for Whitehead. On the in bounds, Sina takes a quick 3 with 15 sec. Offensive rebound and Sina takes another 3 with 8 sec. After foul shots, SHU has ball with 5-6 seconds. In bound to Gibbs and was supposed to pass to Whitehead. Gibbs doesn't give it up takes the jumper and they lose. And now we have all of this. Sounds like a Saturday morning rec league game and my Johnny didn't get the ball and a fight breaks out with the parents!

XUFan09
02-11-2015, 03:06 PM
That would be like Bluiett fighting with Abell after Abell didn't pass the ball at the end of the Auburn game.

Masterofreality
02-11-2015, 03:07 PM
WOW! Thanks East!

Well, now. THAT escalated quickly. What a mess.

profson
02-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Earlier today the SHU board was all over IW. Then he, Delgado and Mobley all tweeted their love and loyalty. The board turned on a dime (imagine that, for sports board) and the speculation now is that Gibbs, who is graduating, transfers elsewhere for next year with immediate eligibility as a grad student.
Who wants to start the rumor that Mack is trying to get him as our PG for next year?

GoMuskies
02-11-2015, 03:48 PM
We'll take him!

XUFan09
02-11-2015, 03:56 PM
We'll take him!
In a heartbeat.

Milhouse
02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
He'd by FAR be the best available 5th year player

ammtd34
02-11-2015, 04:09 PM
He'd by FAR be the best available 5th year player

Possibly true, but he's a sophomore.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood.

BandAid
02-11-2015, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty sure Seton Hall would try to block any of their players from going to another Big East school...but I'd definitely take Gibbs (so he is going to have a 5th year of eligibility?) or Sina given the chance

EastCoastXman
02-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Here is an article from NJ.com on this situation

While Sina has declined to publicly say what his specific reasons for leaving, here are the things we do know which led up to his departure.

January 3: Despite an upset win over No. 6 Villanova, Sina has a bad day, missing all his shots from the floor and getting points on just four free throws. His struggles would continue up until his departure from the Pirates team, including a scoreless game in a loss to Butler.
•January 31: Isaiah Whitehead returns from his foot injury, scoring 19 in a win over Xavier at home and then 14 in a loss to DePaul on the road. During the loss to DePaul, there were times when he was not in sync with his teammates which Willard said was to be expected.
•February 7: The loss to Marquette was a tough one. During the early part of the game, Sina was 3-for-3 from the 3-point arc, but was largely ignored for most of the second half despite being the only hot shooter. Numerous times Whitehead looked in his direction but didn't pass.
•As a whole, the team looked awful and did not play with the cohesion they had shown earlier in the season.
•After the loss, Brandon Mobley had a frustrated interview in which he talked about some players being more concerned with who was shooting what and getting their own shots than winning. While there are no specifics, it seems as if he might be talking about Whitehead, who turned the ball over three times with some poor passes.
•Willard would say after the loss to the Hoyas that Mobely didn't get across what he meant and it wasn't a shot at anyone.
•February 10: The loss to Georgetown, which saw Sina not in the starting lineup and Whitehead turn the ball over six times. Sina was just 2-of-7 from the floor, but again there were numerous times when he was wide open and did not receive the ball.
•Whitehead and Gibbs get into a heated argument during a timeout, and neither Gibbs or Sina return to the locker room after the game.
•February 11: Sina leaves the Seton Hall program.

We know Sina and Gibbs are very close, and have been roommates. We know they were looked upon as leaders both on and off the floor. We know Sina was struggling, which resulted in him losing his starting job for at least a night. We also can pinpoint multiple times over the last two games where he was open and the person with the ball didn't pass it over.

While there is still a lot of confusion regarding the reason for Sina's departure and whether the tension between various factions in the locker room run as deep as they appear, one thing is for certain--Willard has to find a way for this team to stop fighting each other.

Otherwise this season is finished.

There is supposed to be a student athlete leadership forum at Seton Hall tonight. Willard might want to march the rest of the team over there to attend it.

Andrew Garda may be reached at andrew.garda@gmail.com. Follow him on Twitter @Andrew_Garda. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

casualfan
02-11-2015, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Seton Hall would try to block any of their players from going to another Big East school...but I'd definitely take Gibbs (so he is going to have a 5th year of eligibility?) or Sina given the chance

Most leagues have a rule to prevent this

LA Muskie
02-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Most leagues have a rule to prevent this
I think that is accurate with respect to standard transfers because schools can impose conditions on the player's release. I don't believe it's accurate as to graduate transfers, although there may be "unwritten" rules where schools tacitly agree not to recruit graduate transfers from within their own conference.

MuskiePimp23
02-12-2015, 12:34 AM
WOW! Thanks East!

Well, now. THAT escalated quickly. What a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIjISeW8QM

Milhouse
02-12-2015, 07:54 AM
I think that is accurate with respect to standard transfers because schools can impose conditions on the player's release. I don't believe it's accurate as to graduate transfers, although there may be "unwritten" rules where schools tacitly agree not to recruit graduate transfers from within their own conference.

Yeah they're unrestricted. I'm not sure how Myles would feel about him joining either. Doubt it happens. But I'm sure they're going to look for a PG that can play next year

BandAid
02-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Yeah they're unrestricted. I'm not sure how Myles would feel about him joining either. Doubt it happens. But I'm sure they're going to look for a PG that can play next year

That's right. Gibbs and Myles pretty much hate each other. They've been rivals since high school, maybe even before.

Juice
02-12-2015, 11:04 AM

Phil Martelli blocked a 5th year transfer player http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42525/what-is-phil-martelli-doing

RealDeal
02-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Phil Martelli blocked a 5th year transfer player http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/42525/what-is-phil-martelli-doing

What does DC think of this?

LA Muskie
02-12-2015, 11:34 AM
You're right. I forgot that the waiver rule has 3 requirements: (1) The student-athlete graduates with a bachelor's degree from his original school (no prior transfers) with at least a year of eligibility remaining; (2) the school to which the student-athlete wishes to transfer offers a graduate program not offered at the current school; and (3) the current school grants a release.

I forgot because by all accounts the Todd O'Brien situation at St. Joe's is the only known situation in which a school has refused to grant the release.

profson
02-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Earlier today the SHU board was all over IW. Then he, Delgado and Mobley all tweeted their love and loyalty. The board turned on a dime (imagine that, for sports board) and the speculation now is that Gibbs, who is graduating, transfers elsewhere for next year with immediate eligibility as a grad student.
Who wants to start the rumor that Mack is trying to get him as our PG for next year?

Guess I started this, with tongue in cheek and full sarcasm font, but since it has take a life of its own, the old Big East, in 2005, adopted a no-transfer policy within conference for BB. Don't now about the current Big East, but that is the general rule in most conferences, for obvious reasons. Here is the policy in 2005: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/prov/genrel/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/12-compliance-intra-conf-trans.pdf

DC Muskie
02-12-2015, 06:49 PM
What does DC think of this?

He's an incredibly mediocre coach. Thank God we are not SJU fans.