PDA

View Full Version : Greg Doyel on the Situation at IU

Muskie
11-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Link (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2014/11/02/doyel-do-hoosiers-dig-crean-enough-to-stop-screwing-up/18373007/)

You can like Tom Crean, and I do, and still say what I'm about to say. You can wish to focus every ounce of positive thought toward seriously injured Indiana basketball player Devin Davis (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/11/03/crash-report-devin-davis-accident-details-emerge/18414869/), and you can even have a teenage son of your own who has downed an alcoholic beverage – and I do, on all counts – and still say what I'm about to say:
What's happening on the Indiana basketball team, on Crean's basketball team, has to stop.
Or this can't be Crean's team anymore.

____

Interesting article.

bleedXblue
11-03-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm in 100% agreement.....except I don't particularly like Crean's style. He had a great gig at Marquette and I think he's too far gone at IU. The underage drinking thing is different for D1 athletes. They have much more to lose than a typical student. They have to understand and accept that. What's going on there is borderline lack of institutional control. Crean has to do what Tuberville did. The next player to screw up is out. Period, end of story.

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 04:24 PM
I suspect that if Xavier kicked out every basketball player guilty of underage drinking (certainly to the "shocking" .03 level) we wouldn't have a team anymore.

MADXSTER
11-03-2014, 04:55 PM
I suspect that if Xavier kicked out every basketball player guilty of underage drinking (certainly to the "shocking" .03 level) we wouldn't have a team anymore.

Dez Wells didn't/doesn't drink....just sayin

xubrew
11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
You can like Tom Crean, .

Are you sure?? We may need to double check that.

danaandvictory
11-03-2014, 05:19 PM
God, Doyel is such a predictable hot take merchant.

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Dez Wells didn't/doesn't drink....just sayin

He was good, but 1 on 5 good?

Muskie
11-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Are you sure?? We may need to double check that.

Just letting everyone know that I did not say I like Tom Crean. That's a quote from the article.

PMI
11-03-2014, 06:21 PM
You can hate Tom Crean, and I do. But I am still going to say what I'm about to say. College kids are going to drink. Don't drive and don't do anything too stupid, because like it or not, you're held to a different standard.

xubrew
11-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Just letting everyone know that I did not say I like Tom Crean. That's a quote from the article.

Just letting everyone know that I knew that.

xubrew
11-03-2014, 06:25 PM
You can hate Tom Crean, and I do. But I am still going to say what I'm about to say. College kids are going to drink. Don't drive and don't do anything too stupid, because like it or not, you're held to a different standard.

He shouldn't have been driving since he was underage. But, it's worth pointing out that had he not been underage and done the same thing, chances are he wouldn't be in any trouble. .02 is not very drunk. Had he been .00, the accident probably still happens. I don't like Tom Crean or Indiana, but I do think it was an accident where alcohol played almost no factor, to the point it would have still happened even had he not been drinking.

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Two more Hoosiers set to miss time. Failed drug tests.

It would be AWESOME to be one of the better intramural basketball players at IU right about now.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/03/report-pair-of-indiana-sophomores-stanford-robinson-troy-williams-suspended-due-to-failed-drug-tests/

bleedXblue
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Two more Hoosiers set to miss time. Failed drug tests.

It would be AWESOME to be one of the better intramural basketball players at IU right about now.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/03/report-pair-of-indiana-sophomores-stanford-robinson-troy-williams-suspended-due-to-failed-drug-tests/

Holy. I've heard that there are many within the IU fan base that want Crean out. Seems like really bad luck or bad timing.......

OH.X.MI
11-03-2014, 06:36 PM
And start the Chris Mack leaving for Indiana paranoia in 3..2..1

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 06:37 PM

Gregg Marshall perhaps....

Muskie
11-03-2014, 06:37 PM
It's all fine and good to say college kids drink (Lord knows I did). But I never let it ultimately interfere with what I was there to do (graduate). It seems to me these guys have a lot of downtime to do "kid stuff". The night before an open public scrimmage though?

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
One guy was .03. That's one or two beers.

bobbiemcgee
11-03-2014, 06:38 PM
http://www.insidethehall.com/

GoMuskies
11-03-2014, 06:42 PM
They'll still win three of those four games. SMU will beat them, but they play the entire SWAC in the other games.

bobbiemcgee
11-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Failed "mutiple drug tests" and only 4 games? Gift.

JTG
11-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Not gonna happen...they want Stevens...not Mack..not because Mack is not good...they want an Indiana legend.

PMI
11-03-2014, 09:49 PM
He definitely wasn't drunk, and in reality I'm sure was perfectly fine to drive. But there are politics behind everything. If you're underage and have had anything to drink, and you are driving and involved in an accident that leaves someone in serious condition (even if it was his fault) you get screwed. Lord knows I'm the last person who should judge someone here. It sucks. But my point is that, regardless of what's fair or reasonable, he is going to be held to a different standard than a normal kid his age would be because he's a scholarship basketball player. I don't blame him for anything he did or think any less of him personally, but that's that way it is.

Juice
11-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Failed "mutiple drug tests" and only 4 games? Gift.

You care about kids smoking weed? Oh.

PMI
11-03-2014, 10:06 PM
You care about kids smoking weed? Oh.

I think anyone should be able to smoke weed, but the NCAA disagrees. The NCAA has lots of stupid rules, but you still get punished if you break them and every athlete knows it. I'm sure Crean isn't too worried about it but he had to suspend him. It's a national story now.

nuts4xu
11-04-2014, 08:24 AM
When I was at Xavier 2 decades ago (I know I am old) players partied at the same rate as the general student population. Our team didn't drink or smoke weed more than any other control group you pull from the student body.

Fortunately, the only issues we had were Pete Sears and DeWaun Rose getting into a bar fight before the NCAA tournament. They were even old enough to drink at the time, yet Skip still suspended them.

Any school that has a series of issues, including issues where other people were hurt from wreckless behavior, the reigns need to be tightened by the administration, coaching staff, and the players on the team.

GoMuskies
11-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I think there were a few more issues (but not too many). Didn't Larry Sykes get nailed for drunk driving and miss a game during the season, too? Darnell Williams missed an A-10 Tournament game one year for an alcohol related incident. I seem to recall that some of Aaron Turner's issues were substance related, too (but I could be wrong). Again, no pattern or repeated bad behavior, but it was more than just the one incident.

Kahns Krazy
11-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Wait wait wait.... Darnell Williams drinks?

Xville
11-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't think Crean should be fired because a couple of guys on the team drove while having a beer or two and a few of them like to smoke weed. I'm not a naive fool to think that some of our players have not done the same exact thing. However, Crean should be fired for just being an absolute d-bag and an overrated coach who clung to Wade's nuts for a couple of seasons to progress his career.

XU 87
11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I think Doyel should be fired from his job because he is aware that his 19 year old son is drinking beer and Doyel is doing nothing to prevent it.

Pete Delkus
11-04-2014, 09:52 AM
I'll never forget Sophomore year, on a Saturday - 7:15 AM - a player knocking on door after door on our floor - asking each of our floor-mates if they (1) smoked weed last night, and if not(2) could piss into a little pill bottle for him.

He went around 10 + people to finally one kid, said - "no, my piss is solid"...it was very comical, and our floor came together as a squad.

...and he passed the test.

PMI
11-04-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't think Crean should be fired because a couple of guys on the team drove while having a beer or two and a few of them like to smoke weed. I'm not a naive fool to think that some of our players have not done the same exact thing. However, Crean should be fired for just being an absolute d-bag and an overrated coach who clung to Wade's nuts for a couple of seasons to progress his career.

100% agreed. Perhaps this is just bad karma for a complete douche bag.

I'll never forget Sophomore year, on a Saturday - 7:15 AM - a player knocking on door after door on our floor - asking each of our floor-mates if they (1) smoked weed last night, and if not(2) could piss into a little pill bottle for him.

He went around 10 + people to finally one kid, said - "no, my piss is solid"...it was very comical, and our floor came together as a squad.

I won't name the school or the player, but the guy is in the NBA now. A few of my buddies were blazing in their room somewhere on campus and the player smelled it. It was about 15 minutes before he had to be at the arena before a big home ACC game. My buddies hear a knock on the door and they answer it, and here's this 6'10 dude at their doorstep saying, "I can smell y'all burnin in there, can I hop in real quick?" Apparently this dude just couldn't play if he wasn't high, and the coaches had been hawking him a lot more closely lately, so he had dipped out to prowl for a burn somewhere near the arena and got lucky. They said no problem so the player took off his warmups, stripped down to just his boxers, came in, and pulled off what they described as one of the most impressive displays of making a blunt disappear they'd ever seen in just a couple minutes. The dude had a HUGE game and the team upset a very highly ranked team. My buddies did their part in helping their team win that day.

xubrew
11-04-2014, 10:27 AM

That's a great story.

This didn't happen at Xavier, but it's pretty nuts as well. There was a guy who had his girlfriend do it because he knew he'd fail the test. He passed the drug test, but in a miracle of science it was discovered that he was pregnant. I mean....wow. What a way to find out your girlfriend is pregnant. He failed his next drug test.

PMI
11-04-2014, 10:35 AM
That's a great story.

This didn't happen at Xavier, but it's pretty nuts as well. There was a guy who had his girlfriend do it because he knew he'd fail the test. He passed the drug test, but in a miracle of science it was discovered that he was pregnant. I mean....wow. What a way to find out your girlfriend is pregnant. He failed his next drug test.

At that point do you just stick to your story through hell and high water? "Danny Devito performed a controversial science experiment on me, I swear!"

X-band '01
11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Wait wait wait.... Darnell Williams drinks?

Only had to miss a game against Virginia Tech in the A-10 Tournament for that.

Juice
11-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Parrish is piling on Crean

@GaryParrishCBS: Disconnect between Tom Crean and players has Indiana in disarray, sources explain to @CBSSports. http://goo.gl/1IV9kI

LA Muskie
11-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Crean has a $12 mil buyout this year. And they couldn't find a replacement in-season. He ain't going anywhere for now.

boozehound
11-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Crean has a $12 mil buyout this year. And they couldn't find a replacement in-season. He ain't going anywhere for now.

$12 Mil? That is insanely high!

XU 87
11-04-2014, 11:59 AM
[@GaryParrishCBS: Disconnect between Tom Crean and players has Indiana in disarray, sources explain to @CBSSports. http://goo.gl/1IV9kI[/QUOTE]

I have "learned" as follows:

1) Crean is kind of an asshole and his players don't like him.

2) If he doesn't win more he will get fired.

3) His adult players drink beer.

DC Muskie
11-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm looking forward to our recruiting ticking up a notch because of this news!

xu82
11-04-2014, 06:51 PM
$12 Mil? That is insanely high!

Agreed. They can fire me for half of that!

paulxu
11-04-2014, 06:56 PM
I'm looking forward to our recruiting ticking up a notch because of this news!

Are there any Crawfords over there looking to get out?