PDA

View Full Version : Men Enter Rankings at #16. (MSOC)

Muskie
10-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Link (http://www.goxavier.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/102114aaa.html)

Xavier men's soccer is back in the national rankings on Tuesday, checking in at No. 16 in the NSCAA/Continental Tire NCAA Division I Men's National Poll.
The Musketeers (9-3-2, 3-0-2 BIG EAST) sit alone in second-place in the BIG EAST Conference and began to get some national attention last week with 10 votes before vaulting all the way up to 16 this week with 200 votes - the highest jump of any team in the poll.

Muskie
10-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Further down in the article.

More than half of the BIG EAST is ranked in this week's NSCAA Poll, as a whopping six teams were included. First-place Creighton is ranked No. 2, while No. 15 Marquette, No. 16 Xavier, No. 17 Georgetown and No. 23 Providence are also represented.

WOW.

GoMuskies
10-22-2014, 03:26 PM
Further down in the article.

More than half of the BIG EAST is ranked in this week's NSCAA Poll, as a whopping six teams were included. First-place Creighton is ranked No. 2, while No. 15 Marquette, No. 16 Xavier, No. 17 Georgetown and No. 23 Providence are also represented.

WOW.

I count 5.

muskiefan82
10-22-2014, 03:28 PM
I count 5.

Xavier counts twice because well, we're X.

xu82
10-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Xavier counts twice because well, we're X.

Are you saying we are bad at math? I blame Doc Webb!
I got a D in calculus from him and resented it because that implied i knew something. The only thing I knew was how to find the classroom. Took it over with Father Eisenhower (aka Easy Ike) and got the easiest A ever. Same stuff!

ArizonaXUGrad
10-22-2014, 05:58 PM
The next two are huge...both on the road and both ranked teams. I think they need to go 0-0-2 at a minimum and maybe steal a road win would be nice.

Muskie
10-22-2014, 06:10 PM
how does this team compare to last years talent wise?

GIMMFD
10-22-2014, 08:44 PM
how does this team compare to last years talent wise?
The freshmen are making big strides so far, Cory Brown is a damn solid center half (represented New Zealand in the U18 World Cup), and has been a rock defensively, Todd Pratzner is back after injury and filling in the other center half spot nicely, the outside backs are the same in Matt Hill and Chris Moore, Matt is more attacking, and Chris more can jump with the best of them, he's not overpoweringly athletic, but he doesn't make mistakes. Goalkeeper is the same in Eric Oswald very solid. The midfield with Halfhill is perfect as he controls the game and keeps possession, the biggest addition is Matt Vasquenza at striker, as he has bagged 5 goals, and is always threatening, which is one of the keys we were missing last year was a good striker. Will Walker is back as well, and he's obviously a good player. I think this team with the bench is deeper, with guys like Jalen Brown and Eric McWoods coming off, they just needed time to gel together. I think they can go into Marquette and get a win, and then challenge Georgetown as well.

Side note, the Seniors need 2 more wins to be the winning class in Xavier soccer history!!

BMoreX
10-25-2014, 09:12 PM
@XavierGameday: FINAL: No. 16 @XavierMSOC 1, No. 15 0. Unbeaten streak pushes to nine as Musketeers hand MU first home loss of 2014. #LetsGoX

paulxu
10-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Out f@@@@@@standing.

X-man
10-26-2014, 07:06 AM
The next two are huge...both on the road and both ranked teams. I think they need to go 0-0-2 at a minimum and maybe steal a road win would be nice.

Done. Next???

Masterofreality
10-26-2014, 10:15 AM
That was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE win last night. it should solidify an at-large NCAA Tourney bid. Two great games against Creighton and Marquette who are considered some of the best in the country.

Yeah, Andy Fleming can coach a little bit...and it starts with defense.

Muskie
10-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Nice win by the Men. I'm leery of predicting NCAA births without seeing how they do in the Big East Tourney.

Muskie
10-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Replica X soccer jerseys would sell in the bookstore.

LA Muskie
10-26-2014, 04:03 PM
I'd buy one. I can use only so many soccer scarves.

Muskie
10-26-2014, 04:14 PM
I'd buy one. I can use only so many soccer scarves.

I get the one that doubles as the season ticket. They need some fresh looks for that as well.

Muskie
10-26-2014, 06:04 PM
The Men's game against Marquette is available for free on All Access over at Goxavier.com

ArizonaXUGrad
10-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Fantastic, definitely time for replica jerseys in the bookstore.

XUOHTX
10-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Great job Soccer team. (Also, this thread title is extremely confusing when viewed on the Recent Threads column on the home page).

GIMMFD
10-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Nice win by the Men. I'm leery of predicting NCAA births without seeing how they do in the Big East Tourney.

To be honest, if they beat Georgetown, and stay strong against Nova and Butler, we could have the potential first seed in the Big East Tournament, a bye directly to Philly, and if by some change they win the Big East tournament they could even be a #1 seed and have a home game in the NCAA tournament.. However, I think the magic number to be safe for them to make the NCAA tournament is 12 wins, pick up two more regardless of where they are and they are in. Hard to not put them in with the resume they have. The early season losses are big, but they've made up a lot of ground.

Muskie
10-27-2014, 08:41 PM
To be honest, if they beat Georgetown, and stay strong against Nova and Butler, we could have the potential first seed in the Big East Tournament, a bye directly to Philly, and if by some change they win the Big East tournament they could even be a #1 seed and have a home game in the NCAA tournament.. However, I think the magic number to be safe for them to make the NCAA tournament is 12 wins, pick up two more regardless of where they are and they are in. Hard to not put them in with the resume they have. The early season losses are big, but they've made up a lot of ground.

I watched the whole replay, and thought it was a great match.

Masterofreality
10-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Right now X is 21 in the NCAA Soccer RPI.

ammtd34
10-28-2014, 12:21 PM
#9 in the new NSCAA poll.

http://www.nscaatv.com/rankings/3758/NCAADivisionI/men/Poll9

ArizonaXUGrad
10-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Hopefully, they look at where you are and not where you were at the start of the year.

GIMMFD
10-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Hopefully, they look at where you are and not where you were at the start of the year.

True, but I feel like we got shafted out of an NCAA tournament bid last year, when a team we beat (St. John's) got in with a lesser resume. It's all about the bad losses, and even though we finished the season strong last year starting out 0-3 last year was a big factor. Not to mention ties with Cedarville and Missouri State, this year we have a much more complete resume, and I would be shocked if we didn't get in no matter how we finish the season because 11 is usually a safe mark for the tournament. Plus we are the #9 team in the country currently and riding a hot streak.

bobbiemcgee
11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Xavier Gameday @XavierGameday · 4h 4 hours ago

With the win, @XavierMSOC clinches the second seed in the @BIGEAST tournament and will get a bye until Philly. #LetsGoX

Xavier Gameday @XavierGameday · 4h 4 hours ago

FINAL: No. 14 @XavierMSOC 2, Butler 0. Vasquenza and Brown tally as Musketeers finish regular season 12-4-2 and 6-1-2 in @BIGEAST play.

XUGRAD80
11-08-2014, 05:52 AM
I was in attendance last night. First XU soccer game I have been to in probably 15 years. Very impressed by the facility and the crowd. Both much improved from "back in the day". Got to meet and chat with Sr. Rose, who I saw a half-time. Made it a point to thank her for all she has done. Nice lady, great smile, friendly hand shake. I can see why the students take to her and respect her. As far as the team.....very athletic with good size in the midfield and back line, especially up the middle. They use that size to their advantage with their ability to use head balls to pass, but id like to see some of the players bring the ball down, trap it and control it, more. They play an exciting style of play with lots of long balls from the back line, trying to utilize the speed the forwards possess. Physical and talented back line that really backs each other up. I can see why they have so many shutouts. very good defense. I don't think that Butler had any real good open scoring opportunities all night. X had one goal called back because of off-sides and the keeper for Butler stopped a point blank breakaway shot from X in the first minute. Score could have easily been 4-0, instead of 2-0. The 2nd goal from X was a thing of beauty with an excellent threw pass from the left halfback to the left winger/forward giving him a 1 on 1 shot with the keeper. To his credit, the Butler keeper blocked the shot, but X put in the rebound with no opposition. Great goal, all because of a great pass. For what its worth, I came away very impressed with the play of #21 on the Butler team, who the coach had playing at right full most of the game. He showed excellent ball control and very deft passing. For my money, he was the best player on the field last night. I think the coach has him playing out of position. I could see him as a center half getting lots of assists. He certainly has the touch and seemed to have very good vision. Ah I almost forgot to mention the X keeper! Excellent play from him, and another shutout to add to his already school record #. Excellent size and agility. Great hands. Really controlled any high balls in the box. I think he may have a future at the next level, if he wants it. All in all, came away very impressed and had a good time. If they get a home game in the tourney I hope to be there.

Also....my first chance to see the new part of the U opened up...WOW!!!!! I came in from that end and turned down Woodbine between the new buildings. Everything was new! I didn't recognize a thing until I turned and went down by Cintas. Beautiful place and one we all can be proud of. It's no longer that "little school in Norwood". This campus shouts big time now.

Xville
11-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Georgetown beat Marquette today 2-1. Time to get some revenge on Friday against the hoyas

MADXSTER
11-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Does soccer have a signing day like basketball??

Masterofreality
11-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Not to be overshadowed by basketball, the Men had a big win over Georgetown tonight 1-nil to advance to the finals of the Big East Tourney. I watched the match on the Fox Sports Go app. They play Providence for the 'ship on Sunday at 5pm EST on Fox Sports 2.

That's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way from a first game loss vs Lipscomb.

GreatWhiteNorth
11-14-2014, 10:34 PM
This is a big win to-night for our soccer team. Good luck this Sunday for the BE final.

X-band '01
11-15-2014, 07:01 AM
Georgetown was #5 in the RPI (with Xavier at #18) - that in itself might be enough to make Xavier one of the Top 16 seeds nationally when the tournament is announced on Monday.

Providence is #13 - if Xavier does win the Big East tournament, do they even have a shot of a Top 8 seed?

paulxu
11-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Let's do this thing today.

bleedXblue
11-16-2014, 08:30 AM
I think it's on FS 2 today @ 5 PM