PDA

View Full Version : Political Robo Calls SUCK!

vee4xu
10-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't know if it's because I live in Ohio, but when the calendar strikes October in both Presidential and mid-term elections, our phone rings off the hook with political robo calls. For the record, I am not complaining about any party in particular because we get them from all directions. I can see getting these stupid-ass calls during a Presidential election year. We live in Ohio, Ohio is the consummate bellwether state and has determined at least the past two presidential elections, while playing a role in the 2004 election. But, what in God's name is the purpose of these calls now?

I don't even care if anyone responds to this thread because it is a unadulterated rant, nothing more. What a waste of bandwidth, time, money, effort and a bunch of other reasons that aren't coming to me at the moment. Maybe because I consider myself more independent leaning. Maybe because I live in Ohio and this nonsense is what we do here. More refined, maybe it's because I live in Columbus which is pretty much evenly split politically. Whatever the reason, my vote will not be swayed by some recorded call asking me to vote for the person, not based on qualifications, but some litany of talking points intended to make me hate the opponent.

Anyone else in Ohio or in other states dealing with this garbage? I'll bet Texas isn't dealing with this crap. Also, at the other end of the spectrum likely not New York.

Oh well, I'm done. Thanks for listening, I mean reading.

bobbiemcgee
10-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Landline?

DC Muskie
10-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Yeah do these calls come to your cell phone? I get calls from a home security company like every other day and the number changes because I always block the number when it comes in.

xu82
10-09-2014, 08:03 PM
I very rarely answer the house land line anymore. If it's important they'll leave a message, like a doctors appointment confirmation. Sometimes they just keep calling until I have to pick up and tell them to never call us again. It's not just the recorded political calls either. Those damn surveys never quit! While at XU I worked briefly for the Cincinnati Voter Opinion Poll (AFL/CIO) so when they call my family says it's "dad's peeps on the phone".

Land lines are going the way of slide rules and libraries. Death to robo calls!

PM Thor
10-09-2014, 08:37 PM
I always answer them, but in Spanish. The Robo calls can't tell the difference, but when it's a political call for an election poll, miraculously about half the time they hang up on me. I wonder why. Try it yourself, Republicans especially.

Mel Cooley XU'81
10-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Illinois is a one-party state: Incumbency Party.

They never lose and die in office.

Bastards.

And ring the phone off the hook.

We check the caller ID, pick up the receiver, slam it down.

They aren't even running against anyone.

I'm considering "withholding consent" for the first time come November, but this makes Mother Cooley XU'81 frown.

Screw 'em.

waggy
10-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I . But, what in God's name is the purpose of these calls now?

.... money.....

You answered it yourself.

Good job.

vee4xu
10-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes, we have a landline with an answering machine. The sole reason is to give that number out for people that we don't want to call us on our cell phones. I counted about 10 calls tonight between about 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. Most were hangups once the call rolled to the answering machine, one was Josh Mandel, the incumbent Ohio Treasurer.

bobbiemcgee
10-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I got rid of my landline years ago. 95% calls I didn't want. Gave the other 5% my cell #. Seemed to work. Filed a few complaints with donotcall.gov. on one clown. It worked. No more calls.

XU-PA
10-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Finally gave up the traditional home phone about a year ago, can't figure out why I had it for 5 years before that. Never, never got political calls anymore. Only very rarely get a marketing call on my cell.
I have a cell, use it for personal and business.
Wife has a cell, she almost never answers it.
Kid has a cell, texts like mad, hates to talk on it.
The world is a funny place, but those politicos can't touch me unless I want them to

X-band '01
10-10-2014, 06:59 AM
You guys do know that politicians and businesses will find a way to get their calls off the Do-Not-Call list eventually, don't you?

bjf123
10-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Politicians and business with which you already have a relationship, e.g. your credit card company or mortgage holder, are already exempt from the Do Not Call list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-man
10-10-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't know if it's because I live in Ohio, but when the calendar strikes October in both Presidential and mid-term elections, our phone rings off the hook with political robo calls. For the record, I am not complaining about any party in particular because we get them from all directions. I can see getting these stupid-ass calls during a Presidential election year. We live in Ohio, Ohio is the consummate bellwether state and has determined at least the past two presidential elections, while playing a role in the 2004 election. But, what in God's name is the purpose of these calls now?

I don't even care if anyone responds to this thread because it is a unadulterated rant, nothing more. What a waste of bandwidth, time, money, effort and a bunch of other reasons that aren't coming to me at the moment. Maybe because I consider myself more independent leaning. Maybe because I live in Ohio and this nonsense is what we do here. More refined, maybe it's because I live in Columbus which is pretty much evenly split politically. Whatever the reason, my vote will not be swayed by some recorded call asking me to vote for the person, not based on qualifications, but some litany of talking points intended to make me hate the opponent.

Anyone else in Ohio or in other states dealing with this garbage? I'll bet Texas isn't dealing with this crap. Also, at the other end of the spectrum likely not New York.

Oh well, I'm done. Thanks for listening, I mean reading.

We are in Cincinnati, and get calls constantly in an election year. For us, they start in the spring and just get worse as the year goes on. What I do is pick up and hang up, so it gets recorded as completed but there is no message. It seems to work but even when it doesn't, it is a harmless way of dealing with the calls.

bourbonman
10-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I seldom answer the land line. And never if I don't recognize the number. Yet sometimes, I simply pick it up and don't say a word. It'll disconnect quite quickly and I believe it removes me from the queue for call backs.

Kahns Krazy
10-10-2014, 10:41 AM
What is this land line you all speak of?

I hate the phone in general. I ditched my home phone in 2004 and have never missed it. I am under 100 minutes of total talk time on my cell in an average month. It is not uncommon for me to go 3-4 days without a placed or received call. I spend way too much time on the phone at work to want to use it in my personal life.

blobfan
10-10-2014, 01:28 PM
I always answer them, but in Spanish. The Robo calls can't tell the difference, but when it's a political call for an election poll, miraculously about half the time they hang up on me. I wonder why. Try it yourself, Republicans especially.
I don't speak Spanish but this sounds like a great reason to learn Klingon or Elvish. Wonder what the computers would make of that?

You answered it yourself.

Good job.
I'm not sure money is the answer either. These calls are as much about INFLUENCING elections now.

Politicians and business with which you already have a relationship, e.g. your credit card company or mortgage holder, are already exempt from the Do Not Call list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it doesn't even have to be a current business relationship. If you've done business with a company in the past 3-5 years, they use that as a justification to keep you on the list, even though I think it's supposed to be limited to 'ongoing' relationships.

Lamont Sanford
10-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Lately, I've been letting my 4 year old answer the landline at the house since I know the calls at dinner time are always telemarketers or politicos. Telemarketers love talking to them.

X-band '01
10-11-2014, 07:04 AM
I don't speak Spanish but this sounds like a great reason to learn Klingon or Elvish. Wonder what the computers would make of that?

I'm not sure money is the answer either. These calls are as much about INFLUENCING elections now.

And it doesn't even have to be a current business relationship. If you've done business with a company in the past 3-5 years, they use that as a justification to keep you on the list, even though I think it's supposed to be limited to 'ongoing' relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNqwDxEyiU

vee4xu
10-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Lately, I've been letting my 4 year old answer the landline at the house since I know the calls at dinner time are always telemarketers or politicos. Telemarketers love talking to them.

I'd have to imagine that they'd like talking with anyone since what they mostly hear is a steady dose of answering machines and dial tones. Just be ready when your child turns to you and says, while covering the phone, "daddy, he/she wants to talk to you." ;-)