PDA

View Full Version : Dog name ideas

Titanxman04
09-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Mrs. Beard and I are getting a puppy. A black, male, medium size labradoodle to be precise.

We are having trouble picking out appropriate name ideas and while I've turned to twitter and Facebook, I've decided to make the terrible mistake and ask you all as well. Keep in mind, anything that is obviously Xavier related, while favored by me, would be shot down on the spot by the Mrs.

Any and all help is welcome. We have about ten ideas so far, and we won't pick one until we get more time with the puppy.

We get it in 31 days!

SemajParlor
09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Sit! "Crawford's Gotta Hurray" Sit!

XU 87
09-16-2014, 01:58 PM
How about XU 87?

GoMuskies
09-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Dog

XU 87
09-16-2014, 02:02 PM
A few names you may want to stay away from using- Sweet16, LH, Eastside Jay and Anti-Homer. Flypanther and Propellerhead are also names you may not want to use.

94GRAD
09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Hershel. He is a medium sized black male that used to have curls in his hair.

nuts4xu
09-16-2014, 02:13 PM
I have always favored the name "Stay" for a dog. Come here boy, come Stay!! Come Stay!

I also like the name "Snoop" for a dog. Snoop doggy dog!

Shithead was always one of my favorites too...think it was from the movie "The Jerk".

Smails
09-16-2014, 02:15 PM
We just got a dog and had trouble naming it, mainly because my kids go too much input

I wanted 'Boomer' after my favorite Bengal- Overuled
My favorite Red is Eric Davis, so we couldn't come up with anything on that
My daughters wanted Ronaldo- Nope

In then end we went with my wife and sons' favorite Red and named him Griff

Good luck with all that

muskiefan82
09-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Led Zeppelin IV

MHettel
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Holy shit dude.

What the hell are you going to do it you ever have a kid?

"crotch sniffer"

More Cowbell
09-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Mrs. Beard and I are getting a puppy. A black, male, medium size labradoodle to be precise.

We are having trouble picking out appropriate name ideas and while I've turned to twitter and Facebook, I've decided to make the terrible mistake and ask you all as well. Keep in mind, anything that is obviously Xavier related, while favored by me, would be shot down on the spot by the Mrs.

Any and all help is welcome. We have about ten ideas so far, and we won't pick one until we get more time with the puppy.

We get it in 31 days!

Todd

NY44
09-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Mack

ballyhoohoo
09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Dog

I had a friend with a dog named DeeOhGee

xeus
09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
It's disappointing that you apparently have chosen to purchase a dog from a breeder.

You should have done what Smails did and found a reputable rescue or shelter from which to adopt a dog.

That said, conventional wisdom favors a one-syllable name that has a sharp or fricative sound, like Dick.

casualfan
09-16-2014, 02:45 PM
It's disappointing that you apparently have chosen to purchase a dog from a breeder.

You should have done what Smails did and found a reputable rescue or shelter from which to adopt a dog.

That said, conventional wisdom favors a one-syllable name that has a sharp or fricative sound, like Dick.

Don't hurt yourself climbing down off that horse...

GoMuskies
09-16-2014, 02:48 PM

The Shadow?!? Where?!?

Milhouse
09-16-2014, 03:00 PM

Yeah seriously. Nothing wrong with purchasing from a reputable breeder. Some people want the dog from the puppy stage.

xudash
09-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Tudesberry

Mrs. Garrett
09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah seriously. Nothing wrong with purchasing from a reputable breeder. Some people want the dog from the puppy stage.

Which is entirely possible with a rescue. My wife and I rescued an 8 week old puppy.

Personally, I don't have a problem with going through a reputable breeder. I know some people go with the labradoodle because they don't shed and are good for people who want a dog, but might be allergic.

Mel Cooley XU'81
09-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Dart.

bobbiemcgee
09-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Damnit! Come here Damnit! Sit Damnit!

Also like Icky Woods and Cold Cuts.

Muskied
09-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Fozzie, Garcia, Junta, Phife, Sue, Marley, Byron

ammtd34
09-16-2014, 03:30 PM
Fozzie, Garcia, Junta, Phife, Sue, Marley, Byron

Phish fan?

Muskied
09-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Phish fan?

There were actually 5 musicians/bands represented....

XUFan09
09-16-2014, 03:32 PM
I would look up tips before deciding, since dogs understand some names better than others. The rhythm of the name and the number of syllables matter, for example.

X-man
09-16-2014, 04:05 PM
We just got a dog and had trouble naming it, mainly because my kids go too much input

I wanted 'Boomer' after my favorite Bengal- Overuled
My favorite Red is Eric Davis, so we couldn't come up with anything on that
My daughters wanted Ronaldo- Nope

In then end we went with my wife and sons' favorite Red and named him Griff

Good luck with all that

My first dog as a married man was also Boomer. We were living in DC and boomer was the QB at the University of Maryland in College Park.

waggy
09-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Gulliver.

Gully.

Titanxman04
09-16-2014, 04:57 PM

We thought about it. But we are afraid with having kids within the next year or so and bringing a dog into our house and not knowing the temperament of the dog before picking it up. We have heard and seen too many friends picking up dogs from the shelter only to have it be a bad match over time.

My family has also picked up four dogs from shelters over the years. We've been lucky enough that those situations worked out, but we wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the name suggestion, Dick.

Titanxman04
09-16-2014, 04:59 PM
I would look up tips before deciding, since dogs understand some names better than others. The rhythm of the name and the number of syllables matter, for example.

Good to know. Thanks.

xeus
09-16-2014, 05:24 PM

No, nothing wrong, other than that pesky pet overpopulation (http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/) crisis that results in nearly 3 million adoptable pets being euthanized every year.

xu82
09-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Titan and Beard remain unmentioned.

xeus
09-16-2014, 05:29 PM
My family has also picked up four dogs from shelters over the years. We've been lucky enough that those situations worked out, but we wanted to make sure.

Your family wasn't lucky. You were responsible owners. You would have done perfectly fine by working with a reputable shelter or rescue.

No guarantees with dogs. It's all about responsible ownership.

xeus
09-16-2014, 05:32 PM

I have an opinion on the issue. Do you?

bleedXblue
09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Now I have seen it all. This takes the cake. Guys getting shitty over a thread about naming a dog. LMAO.

xeus
09-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Now I have seen it all. This takes the cake. Guys getting shitty over a thread about naming a dog. LMAO.

I don't care if he names his dog Keith Waleskowski. I just wish he had chosen to adopt a homeless dog in need.

muskienick
09-16-2014, 06:09 PM
I don't care if he names his dog Keith Waleskowski. I just wish he had chosen to adopt a homeless dog in need.

Jeeze Louize! He specifically stated the reason for that decision. I can verify that the Labradoodle breed is unbelievably tolerant of children and relatively easy to train. The fact that he hopes to have a new addition to the family in a year or so is an excellent reason to select the exact breed of dog that will fit well into your expected family setting. One won't find (m)any Labradoodles in rescue shelters!

nkymuskie
09-16-2014, 06:14 PM
I named my pup Griffey, goes by Griff. Being a huge Notre Dame fan the family dog is named Rudy. At this point in time though I would avoid naming a dog after an athlete. They have had a couple tough weeks in the media.

chico
09-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Guessagba, or Gus for short.

paulxu
09-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Keep in mind, anything that is obviously Xavier related, while favored by me, would be shot down on the spot by the Mrs.

I have no idea about any dog's name. This seems to me to be a far bigger concern. Bring her to a few more games perhaps.
(I'm assuming she's not a UD or UC grad of course. Even then...look at Christi Mack for guidance.)

xu82
09-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Jeeze Louize! He specifically stated the reason for that decision. I can verify that the Labradoodle breed is unbelievably tolerant of children and relatively easy to train. The fact that he hopes to have a new addition to the family in a year or so is an excellent reason to select the exact breed of dog that will fit well into your expected family setting. One won't find (m)any Labradoodles in rescue shelters!

You're right, of course. Choosing a family dog means taking a lot of things into consideration and your family's needs are the one and only priority. You don't have to save the world. I'm a dog guy and I don't give a rip if anyone wants to try to give me grief for being on my sixth golden retriever. I know what I'm getting - a great family dog with a wonderful disposition (and tumbleweeds blowing down the wood floors).

Having said all that, I understand the the problem with all the dogs in shelters. I've always said if I won the lottery there's a list of three things I'd spend most of my time doing, and volunteering at the local shelter is on that list. For Christmas/birthdays I have my wife make a donation to the no kill shelter here. I visit there often and it's a shame to see so many sweet dogs. It's also no coincidence that so many of them have Pitt in there bloodlines. Not to say every Pitt is bad (they're not), but you can't ignore the reality.

Xaveriana
09-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Muskie, BJ, McCormick, Herschel, Graham, Dana (good Xavier names)

xu82
09-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Muskie, BJ, McCormick, Herschel, Graham, Dana (good Xavier names)

Dana? What was I thinking? I have a four year old golden named Gracie. She smart enough for a mid-life name change, I think. I wonder if the wife would go along.... It just seems right.

xeus
09-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Having said all that, I understand the the problem with all the dogs in shelters. I've always said if I won the lottery there's a list of three things I'd spend most of my time doing, and volunteering at the local shelter is on that list. For Christmas/birthdays I have my wife make a donation to the no kill shelter here. I visit there often and it's a shame to see so many sweet dogs. It's also no coincidence that so many of them have Pitt in there bloodlines. Not to say every Pitt is bad (they're not), but you can't ignore the reality.

About 65% of the dogs currently available at SPCA Cincinnati are pits or pit mixes.

It's a real problem. But a pit bull ban is not the solution.

I haven't been an asshole on this board in awhile. I pick my battles.

Smooth
09-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Dez.

Mel Cooley XU'81
09-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Dedrick.

xu82
09-16-2014, 07:08 PM
About 65% of the dogs currently available at SPCA Cincinnati are pits or pit mixes.

It's a real problem. But a pit bull ban is not the solution.

I'm not passing judgment on pits or your position. And I don't think you've passed the A hole line, you are just passionate about something. Other people have their priorities, like allergies or children or space and need for exercise. The pit population just jumps out at me when I go through the shelter. That's an interesting stat and it doesn't surprise me. I'd ask why this is the case, but I'd rather come up with a great name for a male dog. Brutus? I still like Titan. Humper? That has a ring to it.

vee4xu
09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Not a big pet fan, but I'll play along. Some dude in a convertible BMW 325i was calling for his pee-wee football kid while sitting in the driveway waiting for some other kid to punch in the garage door key. He was calling him "Gibby". Called it out about four times, but the kid, all but 4 feet away from his old man, ignored the summons, which prompted Beamer Boy to get stern, give to horn a quick toot and yell out "Gibson". I walked away thinking who names his kid Gibson? (Sorry to offend anyone on here who may have done so or who owns that name.) The only person I could think of named Gibby is the old pro golfer, Gibby Gilbert.

So, bottom line: Gibby or Gibson doesn't work for humans, but would be a good name for a mutt.

xu82
09-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Dedrick.

Finn! That might get past the Mrs. Nothing like basing your marriage on trickery!

Retire33
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Buddy, Gus, Duke, Prince, Mister, Theo, Max, Buster, and I could come up with more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xu82
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Not a big pet fan, but I'll play along. Some dude in a convertible BMW 325i was calling for his pee-wee football kid while sitting in the driveway waiting for some other kid to punch in the garage door key. He was calling him "Gibby". Called it out about four times, but the kid, all but 4 feet away from his old man, which prompted Beamer Boy to get stern, give to horn a quick toot and yell out "Gibson". I walked away thinking who names his kid Gibson? (Sorry to offend anyone on here who has done so.) The only person I could think of named Gibby is the old pro golfer, Gibby Gilbert.

So, bottom line: Gibby or Gibson doesn't work for humans, but would be a good name for a mutt.

Damn, I am so easy to get off track! There is a mortgage banker here in Atlanta named Wellborn Price. Is that blue blood or..... Something else? I don't know what... I'm sure he's a great guy. (And I hope he didn't go to XU and visits here daily.) Have you heard of any other kid named "Wellborn"? And Price to boot. Maybe I've just led a sheltered life.

Smooth
09-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Timmy!

paulxu
09-16-2014, 07:29 PM
OK, I'll play anyway.

Pablo.

xu82
09-16-2014, 07:33 PM
OK, I'll play anyway.

Pablo.

Love Pablo. I may have to get another dog now.

vee4xu
09-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Hey 82, Wellborn Price almost seems like a made up name for a mortgage broker. Almost seems like he's trying to create an add linking his name to the the interest rate you get from him.

I can envision something like this:

Hi, I'm Wellborn Price. There is more in a name than just referring to someone personally. If you come to me, I guarantee you that lowest interest rate attainable for you home or investment. Some people who are fortunate ore born well. However, you do not have to be born well in order to have an interest rate whose Price is Wellborn. Stop by today for a free review of your interest rate to see if you qualify for the Wellborn Price.

xu82
09-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Hey 82, Wellborn Price almost seems like a made up name for a mortgage broker. Almost seems like he's trying to create an add linking his name to the the interest rate you get from him.
That's what I thought. I'd hate to be named Wellborn but end up "Died Broke".
Old money folks in places like Atlanta and Charleston use names you don't see in other places.

Mel Cooley XU'81
09-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey TitanBeard,

As I believe you know, Dash's brother and his lovely bride (both XU'81, btw) moved to Findlay recently.

If memory serves, they have a dog named Dana.

Dana is by all accounts a sweetheart, but sadly, is on her later legs.

You take the new pup to meet the Old Girl, do a christening / mutt merge and transfer the karma!

Just an idea.

xeus
09-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey TitanBeard,

As I believe you know, Dash's brother and his lovely bride (both XU'81, btw) moved to Findlay recently.

You take the new pup to meet the Old Girl, do a christening / mutt merge and transfer the karma!

Just an idea.

I love that idea.

xu82
09-16-2014, 08:36 PM
I love that idea.
I second the love!

xudash
09-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Hey TitanBeard,

Just an idea.

Mel, great idea.

The moving van showed up in Cincinnati today. Dana, 13 years old in human years and one of the sweetest Labs you could ever meet, is shuffling off to Findlay.

Name your new dog after our favorite bar. All credit to Mel for the suggestion.

Kahns Krazy
09-16-2014, 09:14 PM

Says who????

Ha.

For anyone that doesn't know, in addition to being an accomplished message board asshole, Xeus is also extremely hardworking in his animal passion. If you're going to bring up bred animals, you're going to draw some input.

xu82
09-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Mel, great idea.

The moving van showed up in Cincinnati today. Dana, 13 years old in human years and one of the sweetest Labs you could ever meet, is shuffling off to Findlay.

Name your new dog after our favorite bar. All credit to Mel for the suggestion.

Oh my, no pressure meant to Titan and the Mrs, but this makes some sense. I recently saw a billboard that said " in dog beers I've only had three". It stuck with me and Dana's may be the answer. Karma baby!

muskiefan82
09-17-2014, 05:37 AM
You could name your new black labradoodle Blackie, but I hope he never runs out of the house. Shouting Blackie all over the neighborhood might be problematic.

X-band '01
09-17-2014, 06:41 AM
A few names you may want to stay away from using- Dayton, Sweet16, LH, Eastside Jay and Anti-Homer. Flypanther and Propellerhead are also names you may not want to use.

Titan said the dog would be male. Those names wouldn't work.

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Titan said the dog would be male. Those names wouldn't work.

Public Reps.

As for meeting up with Dash's folks and their pup Dana, I would utterly love to do that. We need to get a Xavier Alumni base out here in the vast expanse of cornfields and whatnot.

We get our pick between the two black males of the litter.

sweet16
09-17-2014, 08:12 AM
A few names you may want to stay away from using- Sweet16, LH, Eastside Jay and Anti-Homer. Flypanther and Propellerhead are also names you may not want to use.

You're fascinated with me aren't you

xudash
09-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Public Reps.

As for meeting up with Dash's folks and their pup Dana, I would utterly love to do that. We need to get a Xavier Alumni base out here in the vast expanse of cornfields and whatnot.

Let me know when it's good for you and I'll make that happen.

This is how well this is working out for you: my brother is moving up there to be the controller of the Iams plant in Leipsic. Jim is a great guy. Perhaps you buy him a beer or two and it'll turn into free premium dog food for the little lad for a year! Or at least a bag of biscuits or something.

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Let me know when it's good for you and I'll make that happen.

This is how well this is working out for you: my brother is moving up there to be the controller of the Iams plant in Leipsic. Jim is a great guy. Perhaps you buy him a beer or two and it'll turn into free premium dog food for the little lad for a year! Or at least a bag of biscuits or something.

We are mostly settled in right now. I just started a Masters program in Education at UofF. Wife has been working at her place for a month now. We get the puppy in 30 days actually. Will love to meet your family and get together for some Xavier games or March Madness too. Whether or not free dog treats/food is involved.

As for sweet16? Dude, we are obsessed with you just like NASCAR fans are obsessed with seeing the cars wreck.

xu82
09-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Public Reps.

Take two, they're small!
(Today)

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 10:23 AM
[/B]
Take two, they're small!
(Today)

Haha. They will be about 36-40 lbs by the time they are full grown. The other male is still available from my understanding. There is also a litter of "small" labradoodles there that are cream and caramel in color. They are a week older but will only be about 27-30 lbs. Both were actually fairly larger than what I presumed they would be for their weight (we got to meet the daddies). We had trouble choosing between the two litters as both offered a lot of positives and no negatives.

Lamont Sanford
09-17-2014, 10:27 AM
If you don't go with "Shithead", I like "Nuts4Poodles".

CSS85
09-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Public Reps.

This seems so obvious, I apologize if already suggested.Though I didn't see it I could have missed it. It would seem like the name of a black dog with a subtle XU reference would be Gangsta. Just sayin'.

PMI
09-17-2014, 11:02 AM
You should name him Luol Deng because it looks to me like he's got some African in him.

On another note, and maybe this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but people should take it down a notch and be a little more literal. Adopting a dog is a very nice thing for sure, but can we stop using the term "rescue?" You didn't sneak into Michael Vick's house in your stealth gear and make a run for it with a dog you busted out of its torture cell. You picked him up and took him home. Had you tried to rescue an abused dog, you might have found yourself feeling like less of a hero, seeing as to how you may have been fighting for your own life. Taking in abused animals means a lot to some people and I certainly get it as a dog lover myself. But there's also nothing wrong with getting a puppy from a breeder if that's what you want. I wouldn't have a problem going either route personally, and I say that as someone who came within about a centimeter of having my entire face bitten off by a "rescued" pit bull who knew me very well. I'm very lucky that the scar completely disappeared because I had two separate noses for about a month.

xeus
09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
On another note, and maybe this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but people should take it down a notch and be a little more literal. Adopting a dog is a very nice thing for sure, but can we stop using the term "rescue?" You didn't sneak into Michael Vick's house in your stealth gear and make a run for it with a dog you busted out of its torture cell. You picked him up and took him home. Had you tried to rescue an abused dog, you might have found yourself feeling like less of a hero, seeing as to how you may have been fighting for your own life. Taking in abused animals means a lot to some people and I certainly get it as a dog lover myself. But there's also nothing wrong with getting a puppy from a breeder if that's what you want. I wouldn't have a problem going either route personally, and I say that as someone who came within about a centimeter of having my entire face bitten off by a "rescued" pit bull who knew me very well. I'm very lucky that the scar completely disappeared because I had two separate noses for about a month.

I get the difference between "rescuing a dog", and "adopting a rescued dog". Some people use those terms interchangeably, but they are different.

And trust me, I have "literally" rescued plenty of dogs. (None from Michael Vick's house, sadly.)

Sorry about your nose. Did they euthanize that pit bull? Was it neutered?

American X
09-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Megan Potter (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2205041)

Kahns Krazy
09-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Mick Cronin would have been a great name if you picked a female.

"Here's my 40 lb bitch, Mick Cronin" would be funny every time.

PMI
09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I get the difference between "rescuing a dog", and "adopting a rescued dog". Some people use those terms interchangeably, but they are different.

And trust me, I have "literally" rescued plenty of dogs. (None from Michael Vick's house, sadly.)

Sorry about your nose. Did they euthanize that pit bull? Was it neutered?

They did not put the dog down nor did I want them to. But the dog did end up going after another girl who apparently had slightly better reflexes than me and was untouched. I believe it was neutered. I got lucky with my nose. After it happened I was pretty sure I was never going to look the same, as my nose was split clear in half, but you now would need a magnifying glass to see any remains of a mark. It healed completely even though I was hammered at the time of the bite and did not go to the hospital, thus waiting too long to get it stitched up. It did kind of suck having a freak face for a month or so during the second semester of my senior year but I can't complain with how it turned out.

ArizonaXUGrad
09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Mine is named Sheba and she is a "rescue dog". I refer to her that way because I got her from Az Paws and Claws dog rescue. She was also rescued, not by me, from a foreclosed home.

That said, congrats to the OP when he gets his new pet. I guess getting a puppy is nice one time. If you get another give all your local rescues a shot. There are a lot of great dogs there waiting for a better home. I got mine when I was married and it took me a while to convince my wife a rescue dog was best way to go because she wanted a new cute puppy. I won out and Sheba is the best, ended up divorcing the wife and keeping my dog.

blobfan
09-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Good breed mix, especially if you want to keep active with your dog. Poodles get a bad rap because of the fru-fru haircut but are some of the smartest, best behaved dogs.

My top vote is for Titan. I love giving smaller dogs big names. I'm also a fan of Pablo, Shadow, Mack, & Hershel. Just make sure you pick something you can yell out the door without sounding like an idiot and stay well away from any names you might give your kids to avoid future confusion.

xu82
09-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Mick Cronin would have been a great name if you picked a female.

"Here's my 40 lb bitch, Mick Cronin" would be funny every time.
Ha! How did we all miss that?

GoMuskies
09-17-2014, 03:40 PM
I like Kahns' idea in theory, but in reality I would regularly kick my dog if that bitch's name was Mick Cronin.

xu82
09-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Haha. They will be about 36-40 lbs by the time they are full grown. The other male is still available from my understanding. There is also a litter of "small" labradoodles there that are cream and caramel in color. They are a week older but will only be about 27-30 lbs. Both were actually fairly larger than what I presumed they would be for their weight (we got to meet the daddies). We had trouble choosing between the two litters as both offered a lot of positives and no negatives.
That's interesting. We have toyed with the idea of a second dog, but my wife wants something a little smaller than a Golden (silly girl!). Our current one is only 53 lbs, which is actually the proper size for a female I've learned, not these 80lb + dogs you see from back yard breeders and owners who feed them into obesity. Regardless of size, they are just so sweet! Anyway, I will admit to some advantages: I have some friends with allergies who are affected and the shedding is ridiculous! It's worth looking into.

Enjoy your pup.

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 04:26 PM
That's interesting. We have toyed with the idea of a second dog, but my wife wants something a little smaller than a Golden (silly girl!). Our current one is only 53 lbs, which is actually the proper size for a female I've learned, not these 80lb + dogs you see from back yard breeders and owners who feed them into obesity. Regardless of size, they are just so sweet! Anyway, I will admit to some advantages: I have some friends with allergies who are affected and the shedding is ridiculous! It's worth looking into.

Enjoy your pup.

Rivverbend Labradoodles. Look them up. On the Michigan/Ohio border west of Toledo.

These dogs DON'T shed. It's awesome. Incredibly sweet, very loyal, and quite chill. They have a Facebook page too. They post dogs from former litters and videos of current puppies. They seem to do two litters at a time, one from each dad. If you love your Golden, you should absolutely look into a labradoodle.

xeus
09-17-2014, 07:04 PM
These dogs DON'T shed. It's awesome. Incredibly sweet, very loyal, and quite chill. They have a Facebook page too. They post dogs from former litters and videos of current puppies. They seem to do two litters at a time, one from each dad. If you love your Golden, you should absolutely look into a labradoodle.

Seriously?

"OMG they don't shed, bark, pee, or poop! They are AWESOME, and the breeder's website is super helpful! Sooooo cute!"

Real men adopt dogs from shelters.

xu82
09-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Seriously?

"OMG they don't shed, bark, pee, or poop! They are AWESOME, and the breeder's website is super helpful! Sooooo cute!"

You're right, you do pick your moments. Let them pick their dog.

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Seriously?

I appreciate an individual who has a cause, but for someone who doesnt give a hoot what I name my dog, you sure do post a lot in my thread.

We all got the point. We went this route because it is the best option for us. Deal with it.

xeus
09-17-2014, 07:23 PM
I appreciate an individual who has a cause, but for someone who doesnt give a hoot what I name my dog, you sure do post a lot in my thread.

We all got the point. We went this route because it is the best option for us. Deal with it.

Of course I don't care what you name your dog. It's funny that you think anyone cares.

But if you are posting about how "awesome" your breeder is, expect my response.

xu82
09-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Of course I don't care what you name your dog. It's funny that you think anyone cares.

We are nine pages in and apparently this has been entertaining enough that many people have participated in a pleasant and positive way. Few (one?) have gotten personal about it. I respect your position, but this is not your choice. I won't tell you how to live your life, so you can take that away as a plus. You win!

Titanxman04
09-17-2014, 07:51 PM

But if you are posting about how "awesome" your breeder is, expect my response.

Someone brought uo the idea of getting another dog. I am excited about this next stage in our lives. Its a big commitment. I asked for suggestions and we have gotten some great ones from a community I enjoy being a part of. However, your admirable campaign has turned to you into a real Cronin.

xu82
09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Someone brought uo the idea of getting another dog. I am excited about this next stage in our lives. Its a big commitment. I asked for suggestions and we have gotten some great ones from a community I enjoy being a part of. However, your admirable campaign has turned to you into a real Cronin.
The bolded part is a critical element in this situation.

GoMuskies
09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
This thread has me considering buying a litter from a puppy mill and taking them to a shelter.

xu82
09-17-2014, 08:05 PM
This thread has me considering buying a litter from a puppy mill and taking them to a shelter.

Can you make that a litter that is 65% pit bull! please? We don't want to skew the numbers.
(Now I'm in trouble!)

Muskied
09-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I bought a goldendoodle 10 years ago from a breeder. Was the best $600 I've spend in the last decade. My family is allergic to pretty much everything. He doesn't shed a hair. Now you can't guarantee what the mix will be, but it's one of his many values. The playful nature of a retriever and intelligence of a Standard Poodle is the perfect combo. I have 3 kids and he has never put his mouth on any of them...not even a lick. I've never felt they were in danger. He swims with them and sleeps under their beds to protect them every night. I'm not being over the top when I say that I couldn't have designed a better dog for my family. Excuse me if that's pretentious, but we all have our choices. I admit, we didn't know what we were getting when we got him, but we had a good idea. I'm not sure if we'll ever get another dog...but if I were to do it over again, I'll donate $$ to shelters and get the same dog. Every time. Ensuring the safety of your family comes above all else, and no one should be critical of the reasonable steps one takes to do that-

xu82
09-17-2014, 08:19 PM
OK, I stepped in it so I'll open it up. Why is the shelter 65% pit bulls to some degree? (That's Xeus' number and from my experience seems close.) is it they are entirely unadoptable and they stay forever? Are their owners just totally irresponsible so there are more of them? I know they can be good dogs. I also know I probably wouldn't want one around my small children. Not when other options exist.

Sorry, how about naming your new pal Fluffy?

xeus
09-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Ensuring the safety of your family comes above all else, and no one should be critical of the reasonable steps one takes to do that-

Well, first, it's naive to think that a dog from a breeder is some guarantee of safety for your family. Second, it's ridiculous to assume that a dog from a shelter or rescue is going to be unpredictable, untrainable, or inherently vicious, and a dnager to your family.

So, thanks for donating "$$" to shelters, and glad you have a doodle who doesn't shed (many actually do). You win.

xeus
09-17-2014, 10:30 PM

I'm happy for you. There is no greater addition to the family unit than a canine companion, no matter where he came from.

xeus
09-17-2014, 10:39 PM
We are nine pages in and apparently this has been entertaining enough that many people have participated in a pleasant and positive way. Few (one?) have gotten personal about it. I respect your position, but this is not your choice. I won't tell you how to live your life, so you can take that away as a plus. You win!

It's actually only three pages in if you adjust your settings to have more posts per page.

I serve on two nonprofit boards. One is a large shelter that takes in 15,000 dogs and cats per year. Adoptions at this shelter have increased significantly over the past few years, but the euthanasia rate of adoptable pets is still unacceptable. The other is a small Labrador Retriever rescue that takes in perhaps 250 dogs per year.

It's not my choice where the titan family buys their dog. They can do what they want, and should do what they think is best. But, it is my responsibility to discuss the problem of pet overpopulation, on behalf of the animals for whom I advocate.

PMI
09-18-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm happy for you. There is no greater addition to the family unit than a canine companion, no matter where he came from.

A baby? Although I can see where you could make the argument for the dog...

My mom is extremely allergic, to the point where we would not have been able to have a dog growing up if it shed even a little. So we got a dog that didn't shed at all. From a breeder. If it makes you feel any better, the dog lived over 15 years and I would argue was never trained. He did whatever he wanted all the time with zero shits given about what anyone else told him. He was still finding ways to steal food long after he was quick enough to get away or able to pull a good move. My point is I hold no biases about breeder dogs being better trained than dogs from shelters, because I'm 0 for 2, and I just can't see a possibility that I'm the problem.

SlimKibbles
09-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Stains. Name the dog Stains.

xu82
09-18-2014, 06:56 AM
Stains. Name the dog Stains.

Stains I like. Tumblweeds seems more appropriate for us and our Golden, but it's not very catchy.

nuts4xu
09-18-2014, 10:59 AM
You are a few other VERY good names for dogs:

* Buttslammer
* Motorboat
* Squirter
* Sodomy
* (Lady) Gravy
* Lube(ricated)
* Bong Hits
* Mary Jane
* Cheeba
* Ganga
* Cootch
* Stovepipe
* (Cum) Guzzler
* (Dirty) Sanchez
* (Balls) Deep
* Tits McGee
* Ron Burgundy
* Sex Panther
* Ralph
* Louie
* Fred
* or the best one yet.....XEUS!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8vV2_imKWl8/TeTw91n-BEI/AAAAAAAAATc/UiEIvkSJqs8/s320/grepolis-zeus-artwork.jpg

Titanxman04
09-18-2014, 11:11 AM
You are a few other VERY good names for dogs:

* Buttslammer
* Motorboat
* Squirter
* Sodomy
* (Lady) Gravy
* Lube(ricated)
* Bong Hits
* Mary Jane
* Cheeba
* Ganga
* Cootch
* Stovepipe
* (Cum) Guzzler
* (Dirty) Sanchez
* (Balls) Deep
* Tits McGee
* Ron Burgundy
* Sex Panther
* Ralph
* Louie
* Fred
* or the best one yet.....XEUS!!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8vV2_imKWl8/TeTw91n-BEI/AAAAAAAAATc/UiEIvkSJqs8/s320/grepolis-zeus-artwork.jpg

You've met my wife...though you were fairly under the influence of God knows what...do you think she'd approve of any of those?

Actually, ran Zues by her. We are contemplating that one.

PMI
09-18-2014, 12:03 PM
It would be some hilarious and beautiful irony if you end up naming the dog after the poster in this thread who is giving you guff over where you got the dog and laughing off the notion that anyone else should care what you name it. That's my vote.

bobbiemcgee
09-18-2014, 03:21 PM
OK, I stepped in it so I'll open it up. Why is the shelter 65% pit bulls to some degree? (That's Xeus' number and from my experience seems close.) is it they are entirely unadoptable and they stay forever? Are their owners just totally irresponsible so there are more of them? I know they can be good dogs. I also know I probably wouldn't want one around my small children. Not when other options exist

Not in Denver. Pit Bulls are illegal for over 20 years.

xeus
09-18-2014, 04:04 PM
I agree that you should name the dog Xeus. Please keep us posted on how often I shit in your living room.

XU 87
09-18-2014, 04:14 PM
You've met my wife...though you were fairly under the influence of God knows what...do you think she'd approve of any of those?

Actually, ran Zues by her. We are contemplating that one.

If you choose that name, it's spelled "Xeus". And if it's a male dog, based on what I've heard about Xeus and the women, make sure you get the dog neutered.

xu82
09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Not in Denver. Pit Bulls are illegal for over 20 years.

How is that even possible? (Really.) Not that I'd be against it, but because I hate to see so many animals end up in shelters. I'll remain non-committal on the breed. I know so many people argue for them passionately. It just wouldn't be my choice.

Titanxman04
09-18-2014, 05:06 PM
If you choose that name, it's spelled "Xeus". And if it's a male dog, based on what I've heard about Xeus and the women, make sure you get the dog neutered.

It's my dog. I'll spell it's name how I want. :bigstick:

xu82
09-18-2014, 05:11 PM

OK, we've got a name! Now let's start on how we should spell it. I suggest Zews. Or Zuus.
(Does basketball start soon?)

Muskied
09-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Well, first, it's naive to think that a dog from a breeder is some guarantee of safety for your family. Second, it's ridiculous to assume that a dog from a shelter or rescue is going to be unpredictable, untrainable, or inherently vicious, and a dnager to your family.

So, thanks for donating "$$" to shelters, and glad you have a doodle who doesn't shed (many actually do). You win.

"Now you can't guarantee what the mix will be"

"I admit, we didn't know what we were getting when we got him"

"Ensuring the safety of your family comes above all else, and no one should be critical of the reasonable steps one takes to do that"

I think it was obvious that I knew it wasn't guaranteed. I prefer to bet on "likelihood". Like a gambler betting on Xavier beating UD at home. And again, if that's how I ensure my family's safety, I really don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. If you buy a foriegn SUV instead of an american minivan because you perceive them as safer for your family, I'm not going to give you shit about being un-American and ruining the environment. It's your choice. I'm not out to win anything than besides the look of my 3 children. If you want to argue about this, you're picking the wrong battle. I'll literally give everything I have for what I believe makes my kids safer. You either don't have kids or don't respect someone else who does…..

xudash
09-18-2014, 05:54 PM

Question: The next time you get a dog, what are the odds that you will seek naming advice here?

Better yet, create a poll with that as the question and percentage increments of your choosing.

Muskied
09-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Question: The next time you get a dog, what are the odds that you will seek naming advice here?

Better yet, create a poll with that as the question and percentage increments of your choosing.

Or just make sure that Xues freaking Mclachlan isn't invited.

paulxu
09-18-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm re-upping my original suggestion; respect the streak for all things Xavier.

Name the dog Pablo.

xu82
09-18-2014, 06:40 PM
The dog may need a middle name too.

xeus
09-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I think it was obvious that I knew it wasn't guaranteed. I prefer to bet on "likelihood". Like a gambler betting on Xavier beating UD at home. And again, if that's how I ensure my family's safety, I really don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. If you buy a foriegn SUV instead of an american minivan because you perceive them as safer for your family, I'm not going to give you shit about being un-American and ruining the environment. It's your choice. I'm not out to win anything than besides the look of my 3 children. If you want to argue about this, you're picking the wrong battle. I'll literally give everything I have for what I believe makes my kids safer. You either don't have kids or don't respect someone else who does…..

Easy chief. This isn't about your kids. I'm sure you're a great dad.

I am the first person to say that an unpredictable dog, or one with a bite history, should be euthanized. But just like when I place bets on Xavier, I do my homework and know the facts and history. And you have no facts or history to support your argument that a "breeder dog" is somehow safer for your three smiling children than a temperament tested dog from a shelter.

Frankly, what bothers me about this idea that a dog from a breeder is somehow "safer" is that it creates a sense of complacency. And the fact is, that any child - dog interactions require vigilance and supervision.

xu82
09-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Easy chief.

I am the first person to say that an unpredictable dog, or one with a bite history, should be euthanized. But just like when I place bets on Xavier, I do my homework and know the facts and history. And you have no facts or history to support your argument that a "breeder dog" is somehow safer for your three smiling children than a temperament tested dog from a shelter.

Frankly, what bothers me about this idea that a dog from a breeder is somehow "safer" is that it creates a sense of complacency. And the fact is, that any child - dog interactions require vigilance and supervision.
Every dog is unpredictable to some extent and the last sentence is so true when kids are little. A friend from NY once told me about a sweet St Bernard that mauled a small child. It was a horrible tragedy and mystery. They put the dog down, then found a pencil shoved into his ear. Don't leave the little ones alone with the dog, or unsupervised in any way. It's usually just a hair grasp and tug that gets a quick snap to end the dogs pain. It's what one puppy would do to another. Or it could be a paper clip into an electrical outlet. Kids need supervision. All that said, I'm still going with my female Golden as a safe bet. That could go wrong, but the odds are in my favor from my experience. (And no, I can't show you a 5 year study and I won't bother to try.)

Kahns Krazy
09-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Can we get away from dead St. Bernard's with ear stabbing and mauled babies and back to puppy names?

xu82
09-19-2014, 08:40 AM
To summarize, Pablo, Dana, maybe Zews or some form thereof, or a puppy to be named later.

GoMuskies
09-19-2014, 09:05 AM
To summarize, Pablo, Dana, maybe Zews or some form thereof, or a puppy to be named later.

There is no Dana, only Xeus.

xudash
09-19-2014, 09:26 AM

Public reps to go with the private ones.

Well done.

muskiefan82
09-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Gozer is a good name.

blobfan
09-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Awesome!

Gozer is a good name.
Oh yeah. My top vote is now for Gozer. I'm taking that if we get a new dog after the current one gives up the ghost.

chico
09-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Nathan, Jr. That way you know you got the best one.

chico
09-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Gozer is a good name.

You name him Gozer and he'll think he's a god, which is really backwards thinking for a dog.

xeus
09-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Did you guys hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? Poor guy used to lay awake at night wondering if there's a dog.

X-man
09-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Did you guys hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? Poor guy used to lay awake at night wondering if there's a dog.

If he is "laying", that is no doubt the reason he is awake.

muskiefan82
09-19-2014, 01:57 PM
You name him Gozer and he'll think he's a god, which is really backwards thinking for a dog.

Perhaps you should just name him Egon. Or Slimer.

blobfan
09-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Can't you just picture someone standing on their front porch shouting "Goooozeerrrrr! Gozer the Gozaaaaaariannnnnnn! Here boy! Here Gozer!" He'd need two stuffed toys: the gatekeeper and the keymaster. Even if he sheds, maybe he'll sleep 4 feet above the covers and make less of a mess?

muskiefan82
09-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Can't you just picture someone standing on their front porch shouting "Goooozeerrrrr! Gozer the Gozaaaaaariannnnnnn! Here boy! Here Gozer!" He'd need two stuffed toys: the gatekeeper and the keymaster. Even if he sheds, maybe he'll sleep 4 feet above the covers and make less of a mess?

Also Gozer the Destructor. You could feed him Sta-Puft marshmallows for treats.

X-band '01
09-19-2014, 07:15 PM

Winston taught us a valuable lesson - if someone asks if you're a god, you say YES. (Or bark in the affirmative)

muskiefan82
09-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Winston taught us a valuable lesson - if someone asks if you're a god, you say YES. (Or bark in the affirmative)

You could get two dogs. Just make sure when they pee that they don't cross the streams.

xu82
09-20-2014, 07:51 PM
You could get two dogs. Just make sure when they pee that they don't cross the streams.

As it turned out, I think that worked... Just hope they do it outside! And be ready for lots of baths if you've got stream crossing going on.

paulxu
09-30-2014, 12:34 PM
OK, I'll bite...or it will.

What did you name the damn dog?

muskiefan82
09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Fluffy?

blobfan
09-30-2014, 02:18 PM
OK, I'll bite...or it will.

What did you name the damn dog?

Oh dear Paul! I can totally see where this off-season board chat has ruined your basic math abilities but 31 days from Sept 16 does not equal Sept 30. I think we'll have to wait until he gets the dog in mid-October before we get to know the name.

paulxu
09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Well crap. I don't even remember that part.
Besides, I just had a birthday and it was a large number, so I'm allowed to do stuff like this.

Titanxman04
09-30-2014, 03:22 PM
October 16 is when we get him. We have a few names on our list. Five to be exact. We are just thinking them over now.

mistabeecee41
09-30-2014, 03:40 PM
James - fun fact, it's SEMAJ spelled backwards!

ArizonaXUGrad
09-30-2014, 05:19 PM
October 16 is when we get him. We have a few names on our list. Five to be exact. We are just thinking them over now.

5? It's a dog not a person. Be a man and settle on one or do like I did to my ex-wife with crap like this and tell your wife to narrow it down to five she likes and you make the final choice. We are men not chicks, making decisions shouldn't be this hard.

xu82
09-30-2014, 05:43 PM
5? It's a dog not a person. Be a man and settle on one or do like I did to my ex-wife with crap like this and tell your wife to narrow it down to five she likes and you make the final choice. We are men not chicks, making decisions shouldn't be this hard.

Umm, how'd that work out?

We voted as a family 4-1 for Bailey. Gracie it is. (There was a little red headed girl named Bailey who vomited in my mother-in-laws car as a child - they couldn't get the smell out so they traded the car in. We gave her veto power in this case.)

Titanxman04
10-01-2014, 06:28 AM
James - fun fact, it's SEMAJ spelled backwards!

Thats a family name. Probably the name of our first son so thats a no go.

Compromising is one of the manliest things you can do. We want the name to fit. It'll have it for 13-15 years.

blobfan
10-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Well crap. I don't even remember that part.
Besides, I just had a birthday and it was a large number, so I'm allowed to do stuff like this.
That's why I called you dear paul and not hey you bloody imbecile. ;)

I think they are smart to wait until they meet the guy and spend a little time with him. What if they settle on Fluffy and he's more of a Butch?? Or if they pick Mack and he behaves more like a Posey? I mean, don't they need to know if this dog jumps off one foot or two before they pick a name?

xu82
10-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Thats a family name. Probably the name of our first son so thats a no go.

I wanted to name our bitch Golden Retriever Maggie. It's also a family name of sorts... I don't think my mother-in-law would have taken it as a compliment. She shrieks when she just sees a dog. I threw it out as a serious suggestion, because my wife can't tell if I'm kidding sometimes.

Titanxman04
10-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Remi and Miles were both on our list until my wife listened to me talk about this upcoming season at length. I was an idiot. She doesn't want our dog to have a name thats sports related. I'll still push hard to consider them, but oh well.

xu82
10-01-2014, 06:20 PM
She doesn't want our dog to have a name thats sports related.
It could work in your favor: if you desperately need a veto you can probably find an Austrian bobsledder or a synchronized swimmer who's got some variation of the suggested/offensive name. Worth a try...

xeus
10-01-2014, 08:13 PM
. It'll have it for 13-15 years.

You'll have IT?? How about you'll have HIM for 13-15 years?

C'mon man.

bobbiemcgee
10-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I mean, don't they need to know if this dog jumps off one foot or two before they pick a name?

I Like. Icky Woods. Cold cuts! Cold cuts!

blobfan
10-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I wanted to name our bitch Golden Retriever Maggie. It's also a family name of sorts... I don't think my mother-in-law would have taken it as a compliment. She shrieks when she just sees a dog. I threw it out as a serious suggestion, because my wife can't tell if I'm kidding sometimes.

In my family the kids got called by the dogs name often enough that it feels like a family name. Well, my BROTHER got called by the dogs name and vice versa. Since they were both boys. And we sisters had our names jumbled so whoever is in the room just responds to Mom.

That's something else to consider, though. Don't pick a name that would scar your kid if you mix them up.

Titanxman04
10-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Oakley. HIS name will be Oakley. After spending some more time with HIM we felt it represented our dog in fantastic form. Living within Oakley for a couple of years where my relationship with my wife developed, we liked the idea of giving HIM a name that had some meaning within our household as well as something that fit.

For the record, Xeus, there's a terrific Golden Retriever rescue program in Maumee, OH that we plan on going through in the next year or so for our second dog.

paulxu
10-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Oakley was started by James Jannard in 1975 out of his garage with an initial investment of $300. The name "Oakley" came from Jannard's dog,

http://www.sunglasstent.com/images/DogDuaneChapmanOakleyThumpMP3-seated.jpg

muskiefan82
10-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Oakley. HIS name will be Oakley. After spending some more time with HIM we felt it represented our dog in fantastic form. Living within Oakley for a couple of years where my relationship with my wife developed, we liked the idea of giving HIM a name that had some meaning within our household as well as something that fit.

Whatever. We know he is really named after Charles Oakley.

Lamont Sanford
10-06-2014, 03:26 PM
So, after all this, you named it Oakley?

Gotta admit, I was expecting a little more from a Varsity lettermen.

Kahns Krazy
10-06-2014, 04:40 PM
When you go to sell your dog, you can start calling it "Hyde Park Near"

Titanxman04
10-06-2014, 05:15 PM
So, after all this, you named it Oakley?

Gotta admit, I was expecting a little more from a Varsity lettermen.

I am an expert at disappointing.

xu82
10-06-2014, 05:41 PM
I am an expert at disappointing.

But you seem very self-aware, so you've got that going for you...

blobfan
10-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Which is nice.

Titanxman04
10-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Mrs. Beard is thankful for that.

Milhouse
10-07-2014, 04:01 PM
When you go to sell your dog, you can start calling it "Hyde Park Near"

Small tangent here. I live in Oakley and absolutely HATE the people that say they live "near hyde park" my house is on the very outskirts of Oakley (as in two blocks from East Hyde Park) and I take tons of pride in living in Oakley. Such a better community than Hyde Park. Oakley Square, Madtree Brewing, Oakley Station, Hyde Park Plaza etc... it's a ripe and booming community that keeps on growing. I'll take Oakley over Hyde Park every single day.

Mel Cooley XU'81
10-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Pass the popcorn.

RoseyMuskie
10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Small tangent here. I live in Oakley and absolutely HATE the people that say they live "near hyde park" my house is on the very outskirts of Oakley (as in two blocks from East Hyde Park) and I take tons of pride in living in Oakley. Such a better community than Hyde Park. Oakley Square, Madtree Brewing, Oakley Station, Hyde Park Plaza etc... it's a ripe and booming community that keeps on growing. I'll take Oakley over Hyde Park every single day.

Right with ya. Oak Tavern is the best bar in the area (in terms of random excitement).

Kahns Krazy
10-08-2014, 10:33 AM

The Hyde Park Near joke is a throwback. I really don't even think anyone uses it anymore, but when I bought my house in Oakley in 1997, you wouldn't have been so proud of the neighborhood. There was an amazingly shitty part of Oakley where the Drexel now stands, and most of the things you mention, with the exception of Hyde Park Plaza, weren't there.

All things considered, Oakley is probably one of the most successful neighborhood transformations over the last 20 years, although I wouldn't look too far down your nose at the Hyde Park community. Without Hyde Park there, Oakley wouldn't be able to support the transformation. They complement each other nicely, in much the same way that Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout do.

blobfan
10-09-2014, 11:37 AM
The Hyde Park Near joke is a throwback. I really don't even think anyone uses it anymore, but when I bought my house in Oakley in 1997, you wouldn't have been so proud of the neighborhood. There was an amazingly shitty part of Oakley where the Drexel now stands, and most of the things you mention, with the exception of Hyde Park Plaza, weren't there.

All things considered, Oakley is probably one of the most successful neighborhood transformations over the last 20 years, although I wouldn't look too far down your nose at the Hyde Park community. Without Hyde Park there, Oakley wouldn't be able to support the transformation. They complement each other nicely, in much the same way that Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout do.

Actually Kahns, there was a battle within the past year or so where a neighborhood was claimed by Oakley and they wanted to be claimed by Hyde Park. And when we were looking for houses last year we checked out Oakley and they were advertising being near Hyde Park Plaza or other Oakley locations with "Hyde Park" in their title. It's still going on.

Cheesehead
10-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Sato