PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Building "Taste of Cincinnati" Gift Basket for Auction

Mel Cooley XU'81
09-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Mother Cooley XU’81 wants to put together a “Taste of Cincinnati” gift basket for a silent auction in . . . Woodstock, IL.

Go figure.

She’s a fundraising genius.

Need your help on what to include. We’ll be in town mid-October and can run around and pick stuff up.

We know the easy stuff: Chili seasoning mix, Esther Price candy, etc., etc.

What else and importantly – where’s it available?

We’ve been gone from town for years, so any and all nominations are greatly appreciated.

You can take a girl out of the Tri-State . . .

blobfan
09-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Probably obvious but Montgomery Inn sauce, Busken's smiley face cookies, LaRosa's pizza sauce, candies from Aglamesis & Graeters (since you probably can't do ice cream)?

Can you have perishables in the basket? How long does it need to sit? Seems to me it would be cool to get goetta, Izzys corned beef, and maybe bacon from Eckerlin. You could do Shadeaux bread if you can freeze it and defrost day of but it won't last long.

If you plan to include alcohol, I imagine there are some favorite local brews amongst board members. And Woodstone Creek has some wine and vodka you can probably find at Party Source.

paulxu
09-15-2014, 02:35 PM
Stop in at this place:

http://www.thebestofcincinnati.com/

Edit to address the Graeter's issue. Many Krogers and other stores in the South now stock limited selection of Graeter's.
Check out the Kroger in Woodstock, and add some coupons if they stock it.

PMI
09-15-2014, 02:36 PM
They've got an awesome burger joint called Five Guys that you should check out.

Seriously though, just go with tons and tons of Graeter's and you can't go wrong.

sweet16
09-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Just fill the basket with gift cards from this place:

http://www.cincyfavs.com/

bobbiemcgee
09-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Stop in at this place:

http://www.thebestofcincinnati.com/

Edit to address the Graeter's issue. Many Krogers and other stores in the South now stock limited selection of Graeter's.
Check out the Kroger in Woodstock, and add some coupons if they stock it.

They have it in Chicago as well, and may soon have a lot more:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140813/BLOGS09/140819930/heres-the-scoop-graeters-ice-cream-shops-eyeing-chicago#

xu82
09-15-2014, 07:29 PM
How big is your basket? Would a keg of Hudepohl fit?

Being from Buffalo, I know a lot of your favorite places will ship the best regional items and from my experience it works pretty well (even half baked pizzas!). Gift certificates for the classic stuff should be a draw. Most people are too lazy to do it themselves but would appreciate if it's in that setting. I love this site but it points out to me how I'm a big Xavier fan with minimal Cincinnati knowledge. I actually enjoy going back to see what I missed and I'd bid on it in the right setting.

waggy
09-15-2014, 07:45 PM
Put a flying pig in there. If you can catch one.

LA Muskie
09-15-2014, 07:51 PM

We've got it all the way out here on the left coast. Although I'm making my own ice cream these days. Because it's hard to find bourbon-laced ice cream at the grocery.

KC4X
09-15-2014, 07:58 PM
If you make it to Jungle Jim's, you can pick up a bottle of Burnet Ridge (http://burnetridge.com/) signed by Chip Emmerich. I've enjoyed each of the reds I've tasted. Purple Trillium is exceptional but also pricey.

ballyhoohoo
09-15-2014, 08:55 PM
I had a taste of Chicago this weekend. Wouldn't recommend Jepson's Malort to anyone

xeus
09-15-2014, 09:34 PM

WCWIII
09-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Hey Mel ... I'm heading to Cincy on the weekend of the 26th (and I have still to let BJ know that I plan on playing in the golf outing for the Cheerleaders). Happy to pick up a few things and either hand deliver them as we head up occasionally to Woodstock or you can pick up in Naperville. Send a PM if this would help. Hope to see you and Mel Jr. again soon.

94GRAD
09-15-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey Mel ... I'm heading to Cincy on the weekend of the 26th (and I have still to let BJ know that I plan on playing in the golf outing for the Cheerleaders). Happy to pick up a few things and either hand deliver them as we head up occasionally to Woodstock or you can pick up in Naperville. Send a PM if this would help. Hope to see you and Mel Jr. again soon.

You have a foursome?

Mel Cooley XU'81
09-16-2014, 08:29 AM
I'd be most pleased to add an item or gift card from Dana's.

Simply the right thing to do.

94GRAD
09-16-2014, 09:09 AM

I think we can help you with that

blobfan
09-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Not sure how tasty he'd be.

Mel Cooley XU'81
12-08-2014, 03:59 PM

I think we can help you with that

With thanks to those who provided advice, and especially to 94GRAD who generously contributed a Dana's gift certificate and growler, the Taste of Cincinnati Gift Basket raised $425 for St. Mary School!

The Dana's gift certificate drove the bidding!