PDA

View Full Version : Hoyas Break Ground on New Facility

xudash
09-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Great news for Georgetown and the conference.

muskienick
09-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Great news for Georgetown and the conference.
Is it an on-campus practice, training, and athletic office facility? I assume it is NOT an on-campus arena since we've always been told by the GW folks that there is simply not affordable space available in the D.C. area for such a venture.

XUOHTX
09-12-2014, 02:34 PM
A link to support the OP

http://www.guhoyas.com/athletic-development/Thompson_Center.html

PMI
09-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Is it an on-campus practice, training, and athletic office facility? I assume it is NOT an on-campus arena since we've always been told by the GW folks that there is simply not affordable space available in the D.C. area for such a venture.

I'm pretty sure it's on campus. There's definitely no available space anywhere near GW's "campus" for such a project, but that's because their "campus" is basically spattered throughout that part of town.

hoyahooligan
09-13-2014, 04:53 PM
It's an on Campus practice facility. And the issue with an on campus arena for both GW and Georgetown is not lack of space, it's lack of being able to get it approved because the neighbors would never allow it. The neighborhood associations will never allow any DC school to build any type of additional arena of any size in DC because of the effect it would have on traffic. Georgetown's new state of the art facility is 144,000 square feet so we could've built an adequate size arena instead, but we would never be able to get that approved. There's no where for that much traffic to go. The Georgetown area is already gridlocked during rush hour. With no easily accessible metro line parking and traffic would be a shit show.

This was an incredible event surrounding the ground breaking as almost all the Hoya Greats came back: Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo, Iverson, Hibbert, Green, Porter the list goes on. In addition various coaches sent video tributes to honor John Thompson Jr: PJ Carlesimo, John Chaney, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boehiem, Bob Knight, and Coach K. Even Nike owner Phil Knight sent in a video.

Providence Coach Ed Cooley was also in attendance as a representative from Providence JT jr's alma mater.