PDA

View Full Version : Change to Big East TV Deal??

xubrew
07-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Does anyone know why both CBS Sports and Fox Media Group are being listed for our games??

I'm assuming that CBS Sports gets our second tier games, and the second tier is defined as the games that Fox does not pick up. Once Fox decides what games they want, then it will determined which games they get and which wans CBSS gets.

I just didn't know that CBS had anything to do with the Big East. I don't recall a single game that was on CBS Sports last year. If we sold second tier games to CBS, then I completely missed the memo. I kind of liked it when they were all on Fox because they never had to preempt coverage. If there was an overlap, they just showed the start of the other game on FS2. Not sure how this will work with CBS Sports.

I also really hope that "Fox Media Group" will include more games on the Fox flagship network. I say "hope" because I don't think they actually will.

http://mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly?week=1&sportYear=basketball201415#.U8VWoGZOUdU

GoMuskies
07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
I just didn't know that CBS had anything to do with the Big East.

CBS is in charge of the Big East website. Not sure why.

xubrew
07-15-2014, 11:54 AM
CBS is in charge of the Big East website. Not sure why.

What used to be CSTV, which later became CBSXL, which later became ULive, which later became IMG (which still exists, but they don't always call themselves IMG on the websites), which now appears to have become CBSi, has always published well over 100 official div1 athletic websites. I don't know the exact relationship. I don't know if CBS owns that company, or if they're simply partnered with them.

casualfan
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
I had no idea CBS Sports would be involved either, but from watching other college bball games on that channel last year, if the prior game runs over they have no secondary channel to show the new game on until the original finishes up.

BMoreX
07-15-2014, 12:07 PM
CBS Sports had a few games last year. The DePaul game at home, the Seton Hall game at home, the Georgetown game at home, the Creighton game in Omaha.

EDIT: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23495784/cbs-sports-signs-multiyear-deal-to-televise-big-east-basketball

xubrew
07-15-2014, 12:12 PM
CBS Sports had a few games last year. The DePaul game at home, the Seton Hall game at home, the Georgetown game at home, the Creighton game in Omaha.

EDIT: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23495784/cbs-sports-signs-multiyear-deal-to-televise-big-east-basketball

Thanks. I didn't realize they were part of the deal.

This is what DirecTV has done to me. I just click on college basketball, the long list of games comes up, and I go to the one I want without even realizing what channel it's on.

muskienick
07-15-2014, 02:11 PM
That's just fine with me since I have Fox Sports 1 and the CBS Sports Channel but the service we have doesn't offer Fox Sports 2.

X-band '01
07-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I take it you're not Time Warner, then.

Here in Cincy they have FS2 somewhere in the low 300s (but not in the hi-def tier).

XUOHTX
07-15-2014, 04:11 PM

This is what DirecTV has done to me. I just click on college basketball, the long list of games comes up, and I go to the one I want without even realizing what channel it's on.

Please explain this magic.

xubrew
07-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Please explain this magic.

You click Menu, then search, then sports, then college basketball, and all of the games appear on a list. I max out the sports package, so I'm able to watch whatever it pulls up. You need the Genie receiver, but it's as simple as that. And yeah,

muskienick
07-15-2014, 11:16 PM
I take it you're not Time Warner, then.

Here in Cincy they have FS2 somewhere in the low 300s (but not in the hi-def tier).

Yep, I left TW for Cincinnati Bell Fioptics. Lower price; more channels (other than Fox S2); and faster internet.

Chalmers0
07-16-2014, 01:32 PM

They aren't exactly "part of the deal." Fox owns rights to all Big East home games but that does give them the rights to sell any of the games, which is how CBS ended up with a package of games last year and probably will end up with more this year if Fox can add some additional programming.

At least that's my understanding.

toledodan
07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
i hope the games remain on fox sports 1 and 2. i can't get directv and was able to see all the games last season.

Masterofreality
07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
They aren't exactly "part of the deal." Fox owns rights to all Big East home games but that does give them the rights to sell any of the games, which is how CBS ended up with a package of games last year and probably will end up with more this year if Fox can add some additional programming.

At least that's my understanding.

True dat.