PDA

View Full Version : cronin signs 7 year 2.2mil extention

94GRAD
06-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Discuss

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2014/06/23/report-mick-cronin-officially-signs-contract-extension/11257329/

GoMuskies
06-23-2014, 10:47 AM
That's great news. For us.

casualfan
06-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Tough for me to comment on this without knowing the terms of Mack's extension.

A few months ago I would've said it looks like they are overpaying, but given some of the deals that have been handed out this offseason I'm not so sure.

Milhouse
06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Cronin has a lot going in his favor with UC's current situation. The football fans are pretty lethargic with the spinning door of football coaches and with getting kicked out of the Big East they can't afford to go through another basketball coach change, especially since the program is doing better now. I'd say he's certainly overpaid. Heck Mack still has more NCAA wins than him despite coaching fewer seasons. I guess Cronin wasn't able to stick the "crosstown stays out of Cintas" clause into his contract though.

bleedXblue
06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
He's done a pretty good job to this point, but I don't know if he's worth 2.2 mil a year.

If they were selling the place out and he was pulling in top 25 recruiting classes every year, that would be a different story.

blueblob06
06-23-2014, 02:22 PM
He's done a pretty good job to this point, but I don't know if he's worth 2.2 mil a year.

If they were selling the place out and he was pulling in top 25 recruiting classes every year, that would be a different story.
Hey now, they've had a few sellouts since he's been there!

A UC fan was defending the fan base by telling me they occasionally sell-out games. Really??? One or two sell-outs a year means the fans are back?

PM Thor
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
UC is paying for stability, that's all. Like it's been said, UC is a football coaching revolving door, and the AAC is NOT what one would consider as highly sought after, no less a premiere conference. The only aspect UC can really control is the basketball coaching position. Hell, they have to even be worried about the viability of their own arena. It's a house of cards over in Clifton.

paulxu
06-23-2014, 04:22 PM
If they are paying Mick 2.2, there should be nobody scratching their heads if somebody comes along in the future and takes Mack away.

Also, I would like nothing better than to blow them out this year at their place, and hear our fans chanting 2.2, 2.2, etc. in the closing minutes.

bleedXblue
06-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah a public institution paying 2.2 mil for a college basketball coach.

You wonder why things are so screwed up.

He's not coaching UNC or Indiana.

coasterville95
06-23-2014, 04:38 PM
On the other hand that's 2.2 they can't put Into making meaningful improvements to their athletics programs.

Kahns Krazy
06-23-2014, 06:24 PM
On first glance, it looks like 2.2+ to me, not up to, and it's fixed, meaning he makes that next year. Interesting that they structure it that way because his base pay is only $400k but the guaranteed payments are $1.8 total + $400k retirement contribution. Winning a national championship would add another $400 k on that. I guess the university gets that from several sources, including shoe contracts, appearances, etc, but that is a sh*tload of money.

waggy
06-23-2014, 08:37 PM
He's gonna buy him some platform sneakers.