PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's Story About Why He Left Marquette

vee4xu
06-19-2014, 06:39 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24592329/new-faces-new-places-why-did-buzz-williams-leave-marquette-for-vtu

For what it's worth.

xudash
06-19-2014, 10:02 PM
So, he primarily is concerned about his retirement account.

Otherwise, he doesn't appear to be all that familiar with Fox's track record, nor does he have any faith in a non-football school's ability to remain relevant.

I respect his ability to gather data and his focus on analyzing it, but his desire to pad his bank account took him down the road he is now on.

LadyMuskie
06-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Honestly, I didn't have that favorable of a view of Williams before reading this article. Having read the article, I now think he's even goofier than I originally thought.

Masterofreality
06-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Honestly, I didn't have that favorable of a view of Williams before reading this article. Having read the article, I now think he's even goofier than I originally thought.

Never mind that Marquette barely finished over .500 this year with recent past rape allegations and an investigative posse at the door.

None of that makes any difference, I guess.

OH.X.MI
06-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Never mind that Marquette barely finished over .500 this year with recent past rape allegations and an investigative posse at the door.

None of that makes any difference, I guess.

I am a full fledge member of the Gary Parrish Haters club, but this is too much. Trying to make Williams look like some sort of savant instead of addressing the real problems his team had last year and would probably continue to have this year, as mentioned by MOR, is absurd. Williams ditched MU because he thought he saw some future writing on the wall and didn't want to lose money. It has nothing to do with Grover Cleveland being the only president you name twice. Spare me.

DC Muskie
06-20-2014, 10:10 AM
I actually like Gary, but man this is one long ass piece of crap.

Buzz needed to do research to know that he could get fired? Wow, let's write 300 paragraphs about how freaking weird Buzz is.

GIMMFD
06-20-2014, 10:15 AM
I am a full fledge member of the Gary Parrish Haters club, but this is too much. Trying to make Williams look like some sort of savant instead of addressing the real problems his team had last year and would probably continue to have this year, as mentioned by MOR, is absurd. Williams ditched MU because he thought he saw some future writing on the wall and didn't want to lose money. It has nothing to do with Grover Cleveland being the only president you name twice. Spare me.

The only thing out of this article that I can respect is that he helped out people who were fired part of his staff. Other than that he's a douche.

BandAid
06-20-2014, 10:17 AM
I would never want Buzz as my coach after reading that. The dude walked away from the challenge.

"When I get fired. When I get fired. When I get fired." He's always going to bolt at the first sign of trouble.

Xville
06-20-2014, 10:56 AM
I think Buzz and 99% of this article is a big steaming pile of crap...however this section:

He projected the likelihood of basketball programs not connected to football programs flourishing over the next 10 years in this ever-changing climate of college athletics. He studied how many programs succeed at a high level without some sort of ESPN contract. He estimated whether it was reasonable to expect the next six years at Marquette would duplicate or exceed the previous six. He researched every coach who has been at a high-major program for at least eight seasons to the point where he learned that staying in the same place too long in this era -- especially when you'll be inheriting a new athletic director soon, like he would've been at Marquette -- proves to be a mistake more often than not for most men.

makes some sense here and there. I think the ESPN contract thing is nonsense since there has not been much competition but there will be once Fox Sports gets up and running.....but the rest of it, I can at least see where he is coming from.

GoMuskies
06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
I can at least see where he is coming from.

I might agree if he had gone somewhere with a chance instead of going to VPI.

DC Muskie
06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Basically Buzz admitted he will never win a title, nor is that actually a goal of his. He established a bar for himself at Marquette, getting to the Sweet 16. He realized he will never get over that hump, so he went somewhere where he could establish a new bar without the threat of being fired.

Wow, that's some real in-depth research there. Buzz wants to set his bar, then figure out he can't go above that and once he feels people will put him on the hot seat, he will leave. Brilliant.

bobbiemcgee
06-20-2014, 01:07 PM
makes some sense here and there. I think the ESPN contract thing is nonsense since there has not been much competition but there will be once Fox Sports gets up and running.....but the rest of it, I can at least see where he is coming from.

VT had 1 OOC game on ESPN, so that doesn't make sense either.

XU 87
06-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Basically Buzz admitted he will never win a title, nor is that actually a goal of his. He established a bar for himself at Marquette, getting to the Sweet 16. He realized he will never get over that hump, so he went somewhere where he could establish a new bar without the threat of being fired.

Wow, that's some real in-depth research there. Buzz wants to set his bar, then figure out he can't go above that and once he feels people will put him on the hot seat, he will leave. Brilliant.

That's the same reasoning I got from that article. I guess he's figuring the bar at V. Tech is much lower, much easier to reach, and therefore he won't get fired. Very strange.

Pablo's Brother
06-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a nice guy. Weird as hell, but nice.

THRILLHOUSE
06-20-2014, 01:24 PM
A Marquette blog does a nice job of tearing the Parrish article apart: http://painttouches.com/2014/06/20/buzz-offers-his-explanation-for-mu-departure/

BMoreX
06-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Good blog post from Marquette: http://painttouches.com/2014/06/20/buzz-offers-his-explanation-for-mu-departure/

EDIT: Damn, thrillhouse beat me to it.

DC Muskie
06-20-2014, 02:43 PM
That's the same reasoning I got from that article. I guess he's figuring the bar at V. Tech is much lower, much easier to reach, and therefore he won't get fired. Very strange.

Well on the flip side, he'll make millions setting his own bar. But like you said, it's very strange, especially from someone who is at the highest level of his industry.

XU 87
06-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Well on the flip side, he'll make millions setting his own bar. But like you said, it's very strange, especially from someone who is at the highest level of his industry.

If I were a V. Tech fan, that interview wouldn't make me feel too good.

DC Muskie
06-20-2014, 03:07 PM
If I were a V. Tech fan, that interview wouldn't make me feel too good.

There are a ton of VaTech fans here in DC and not one of them cares who the basketball coach is. I talked to a friend of mine about a month ago about the hiring and what a great move by Tech to land Buzz. My friend had no idea who Buzz was and didn't realize they had fired their coach in the first place.

The bar is set so low down there you can't see it. Tech fans will feel good when they are winning, but won't notice when they don't.

xu82
06-20-2014, 03:10 PM
A Marquette blog does a nice job of tearing the Parrish article apart: http://painttouches.com/2014/06/20/buzz-offers-his-explanation-for-mu-departure/

The blog did better than the article... I could actually read it.

xu82
06-20-2014, 03:13 PM
The bar is set so low down there you can't see it. Tech fans will feel good when they are winning, but won't notice when they don't.

It sounds as though the bar is set in a ditch!

XU 87
06-20-2014, 03:13 PM
There are a ton of VaTech fans here in DC and not one of them cares who the basketball coach is. I talked to a friend of mine about a month ago about the hiring and what a great move by Tech to land Buzz. My friend had no idea who Buzz was and didn't realize they had fired their coach in the first place.

Well, that's a pretty low bar that has been set. Sounds like Buzz is at his basketball Nirvana.

Masterofreality
06-20-2014, 04:00 PM
The blog did better than the article... I could actually read it.

Those guys at Paint Touches are pretty damn good. That is one helluva article.

XfansinKy
06-20-2014, 06:23 PM
I read the entire piece waiting on the part where the reporter drops a box of matches or toothpicks and Buzz with his eyes rolling upward tells him exactly how many hit the floor.

OH.X.MI
06-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Those guys at Paint Touches are pretty damn good. That is one helluva article.

Paint Touches is one of the best college basketball blogs out there, I follow it pretty regularly and have no ties to MU. They also ripped apart a totally BS article from Myron Medcalf saying MU is a bad place to coach a few months ago.

http://painttouches.com/2014/05/27/is-marquette-a-bad-job-does-espn-have-editors/

GuyFawkes38
06-20-2014, 07:39 PM
What a fluff piece. Parrish is unwilling to take the reasonable stance that Buzz might be making a poor decision and embraces Buzz's goofy logic and runs with it. It's a piece with, like Buzz, a personality disorder.