PDA

View Full Version : St. Xavier wins Basketball regional

coasterville95
03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Update from the Cintas Center:

The St. Xavier Bombers took down the Withrow Tigers in a 52-51 victory. St. X cutting down the nets as I type this. (Listening to the game over St. X radio)

For those interested the official attendance was 2,000)

(I hope Cintas Center stocked up on basketball nets, thats two cut down in two days)

xeus
03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks to pimpinthebox for this update ...

Bombers were up 1, with 1 sec remaining - Yancy Gates on the line shooting 2 for Withrow.

He missed them both. Bombers win.

Then apparently Yancey took off his shirt off and ran off the court in what was described as an emotional breakdown.

Gotta feel bad for the kid. That said, he's one hell of a player and if he can stay out of trouble he'll be a solid player for UC.

Anyway ... Go Bombers!

Juice
03-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I was at the game. Yancey Gates is the laziest player I have ever seen. Everyone in the section around me just talked about how lazy he was. He barely fought for position on the block. All of his points were on put backs or when someone created a shot for him on the break. Obviously he has talent, but he has little to now basketball knowledge and little to no work ethic during the game. UC can have him.

He also was quoted to saying "it's over" to the Withrow bench before he shot the free throws. He then followed up that prediction with two bricks.

Lamont Sanford
03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm sure he'll fit in quite well down in Clifton.

Way to go Bombers!

xavierdude
03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
ya...i was there...I must say, it seemed like a lot more then 2000 people. But to get to the point, Yancy Gates choked and is very selfish. he turned the ball over and immediately started yelling at one of his TEAMmates. I'd much rather have kenny frease then yancy gates

wkrq59
03-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I think before it's all over, Mick will regret giving him a scholarship. I will not repeat some of the things I have heard because I have no proof.
But after that exhibition today, Mick had better start cracking down. I have never seen a UC team quit like that.

Kahns Krazy
03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm torn on this one. As a Bomber, I'm happy. But I feel bad for Yancy and coach McBride. Hopefully, Yancy takes this as a motivating point. When I was a Bomber, Withrow wasn't even a contender. Walt has continued to improve that program and he deserves a lot of credit. Hopefully, Withrow realizes this and keeps Coach on.

Cheesehead
03-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I was there today. Yancy had 4 points at the half and was not a factor. He ended up w/ 18 but had at least 2 dunks & St. X couldn't stop on those. Having said this, I didn't come away very impressed by him. Didn't rebound that well & didn't block a lot of shots. Also got a techincal and this seems to fit his attitude issues I've heard about. Feel bad he missed the FT's but one can't say they didn't have a chance at the end.

I was curious why they started the game early while there were still hundreds of people still in line waiting to buy tickets. Not a good call by the Cintas staff. Also ran out of food at the concession stand I visited. ????

Fred Garvin
03-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Congrats to the Bombers. I always root for St.X since I was in high school and they had a coach named Dick Berning...I'm immature like that.

waggy
03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm so glad you don't have an avatar fetish. There's no telling what we'd see.

Muskie73
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Kahn's, I was telling my son (XU Soph and St X grad) about the game and he expressed the same sentiments. Was glad that the Bombers won but felt a little down because its so seldom that a Cincy public school has that kind of success, while on North Bend Road its almost taken as a given.

Major props to coach McBride and hopes for future success!

xeus
03-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Congrats to the Bombers. I always root for St.X since I was in high school and they had a coach named Dick Berning...I'm immature like that.

Don't forget Dick Piening.