PDA

View Full Version : Akron Goal versus X

Muskie
04-29-2014, 01:28 PM
Amazing Goal.

http://youtu.be/Skb67cOUy7I

muskiefan82
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Who wants to see another team score against X?

bobbiemcgee
04-29-2014, 04:41 PM
That ball had some ZIP on it.

Muskie
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Who wants to see another team score against X?

That goal doesn't go in 999 times out of 1000 at the Collegiate Level.

DC Muskie
04-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Ouch.

muskiefan82
04-29-2014, 07:13 PM
I won't argue that it was an awesome shot. It just hurts that it was against X and I don't need to see it replayed.

Muskie
04-29-2014, 07:36 PM
I won't argue that it was an awesome shot. It just hurts that it was against X and I don't need to see it replayed.

Yes it does sting that it was against X.

GoMuskies
04-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Not sure why it stings. Spring soccer is completely meaningless. Much like fall baseball used to be when it still existed.

Muskie
04-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Not sure why it stings. Spring soccer is completely meaningless. Much like fall baseball used to be when it still existed.

I don't like seeing X lose. It would sting if X lost at chess or backgammon.

Clearly I'm a bigger fan...

Last sentence clearly sarcasm.

D-West & PO-Z
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
That was really sick.

GIMMFD
04-29-2014, 09:07 PM
I don't like seeing X lose. It would sting if X lost at chess or backgammon.

Clearly I'm a bigger fan...

Last sentence clearly sarcasm.

But they tied? Honestly, Xavier should have won that game 4-1, terrible finishing was their downfall, not to mention only 2 subs the whole game due to injuries.

xu82
04-29-2014, 09:32 PM
I am all for X, but sometimes you have to clap and move on. That was well done.

bleedXblue
04-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Rocket shot.

xu82
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
My son played on a traveling team with a kid with a HUGE leg. In warm ups he would routinely blast balls over the goal, the fence behind it and into a swamp or woods. It caused every kid to buy several balls a year as they were often not retrievable. On penalty kicks he didn't have to go away from the keeper as he could just as easily blow him back into the net. Instead, he'd kick it over the cross bar. "Keep it down!" everyone yelled. He finally caught on and learned to better use his skills.... he took up football and kicked a 59 yarder while Urban Meyer was on the sideline for a high school game. He promptly got offers from Florida, Michigan and others. Wound up choosing West Point, I believe. Learn to evolve and use what God gave you.

Xman95
04-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Akron has a phenomenal soccer program. Actually happy to see that X tied them.

Muskie
04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Akron has a phenomenal soccer program. Actually happy to see that X tied them.

Haven't missed a beat with Caleb Porter leaving for MLS either.

GIMMFD
04-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Haven't missed a beat with Caleb Porter leaving for MLS either.

Debatable, regardless they are going to get the best recruits in the country, however, after Porter left in 2012 it's just going to be hard for them to dominate like they did in the past (The 30 or so undefeated games may never happen again) and honestly, they were not that impressive from what I saw in the Spring, once our defensive mids were able to get past the first line of defense, there was a huge gap for them to exploit, as I said this could have easily been a 4-1, 5-1 game if our boys had their finishing boots on.

ammtd34
05-06-2014, 12:48 PM
I ran into a kid at the Flying Pig who should play a lot of minutes this year. He said he was pleased with the Spring overall, but lamented the missed chances in the Akron game. He was excited about the recruits coming in as well. There has also been talk of playing a 4-3-3 with one target and two split forwards, but they'd need a box-to-box mid like Matt Walker to pull it off. They currently don't have one.

GIMMFD
05-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I ran into a kid at the Flying Pig who should play a lot of minutes this year. He said he was pleased with the Spring overall, but lamented the missed chances in the Akron game. He was excited about the recruits coming in as well. There has also been talk of playing a 4-3-3 with one target and two split forwards, but they'd need a box-to-box mid like Matt Walker to pull it off. They currently don't have one.

Closest thing would be either Kyle Martin or Walker Androit, they both like to push the play forward, and are attacking minded. Halfhill is more of a hold onto possession type of midfielder, that likes to swing it side to side before playing a forward ball.

ammtd34
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Closest thing would be either Kyle Martin or Walker Androit, they both like to push the play forward, and are attacking minded. Halfhill is more of a hold onto possession type of midfielder, that likes to swing it side to side before playing a forward ball.

...Which is why it couldn't be executed. Attack minded MFs wouldn't work because there are three forwards, which already leaves you susceptible in the back. Possession minded MFs wouldn't work because your forwards would be under-utilized.

GIMMFD
05-07-2014, 07:41 PM
...Which is why it couldn't be executed. Attack minded MFs wouldn't work because there are three forwards, which already leaves you susceptible in the back. Possession minded MFs wouldn't work because your forwards would be under-utilized.

I think Martin is closest to box to box, I should have clarified, he wins tackles in the midfield, however you're right, definitely susceptible to being countered on. Maybe someone in this solid recruiting class will pan out, it's nice to have a New Zealand National Team CB coming in, brings some international experience with him, and maybe we could change Halfhill to box to box, hell he had 3 goals in the spring, he has the ability to find the back of the net, and possess a decent shot, he's just a little too possession minded for my liking, and when he does play forward, it's usually a lofted ball to the corner.