PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga wanted a Big East invite

BMoreX
04-20-2014, 11:26 AM
http://m.gonzagabulletin.com/mobile/arts_and_entertainment/article_d7f046c0-c5df-11e3-be30-001a4bcf6878.html

GIMMFD
04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
School wise it's the perfect addition, but like they said location wise it's just not right. Imagine how tired players would be after having a road game against St. Johns, and then having to fly out to Spokane the next few days.

xubrew
04-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Hawaii is a football only member of the Mountain West. It seems like they could invite Gonzaga since Hawaii is only in for football, and Gonzaga would be in for everything else but football.

Muskie
04-20-2014, 05:35 PM
School wise it's the perfect addition, but like they said location wise it's just not right. Imagine how tired players would be after having a road game against St. Johns, and then having to fly out to Spokane the next few days.

Adding zaga would only make sense if you added a stopping point in between there and Creighton. I'm not sure who that would be based on the current make up of the Big East.

OTRMUSKIE
04-21-2014, 11:59 PM
You invite Gonzaga and St. Mary's for men's hoops only and problem solved.

BMoreX
04-22-2014, 08:47 AM
You invite Gonzaga and St. Mary's for men's hoops only and problem solved.

Can't do that due to NCAA rules.

I believe Gonzaga would need to have 6 sports for men and 6 for women in the Big East, one of which can include basketball. 2 of those 6 have to be a team sport.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Unfortunately, there is no "basketball only" member allowed, unlike "football only" members.

xubrew
04-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Can't do that due to NCAA rules.

I believe Gonzaga would need to have 6 sports for men and 6 for women in the Big East, one of which can include basketball. 2 of those 6 have to be a team sport.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Unfortunately, there is no "basketball only" member allowed, unlike "football only" members.

They could be a basketball member. You need to have 14 total sports, and 6 of them have to be men's sports, to be div1 in basketball. There is no rule about them having to all be in the same conference, though.

I think inviting them is a bad idea, but it is within the rules.

danaandvictory
04-22-2014, 09:57 AM
adding zaga would only make sense if you added a stopping point in between there and creighton. I'm not sure who that would be based on the current make up of the big east.

Brigham Young would make some sense. But geographically it would never happen.

nuts4xu
04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
"the only way GU would be accepted into the Big East is if teleportation is invented. Anytime teleportation enters a discussion of conference realignment, things aren’t looking good."

This is the only way Gonzaga would make sense joining the Big East. You can't expect the non revenue sports to fly 5 hours to Spokane for away games, it would really impact the travel budgets.

xubrew
04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
By adding Gonzaga and Saint Mary's (or BYU), it would probably mean that we would only play them once a year most of the time.

Which raises the question....if we want to play them, then why not just play them out of conference?? It's the same end result. One game against them.